Australia v England at Sydney

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Australia squad

RT Ponting, NW Bracken, SR Clark, MJ Clarke, AC Gilchrist, ML Hayden, BW Hilfenhaus, BJ Hodge, GB Hogg, MEK Hussey, MG Johnson, B Lee, GD McGrath, A Symonds, SW Tait, CL White

England squad

A Flintoff, JM Anderson, IR Bell, RS Bopara, PD Collingwood, JWM Dalrymple, EC Joyce, J Lewis, MB Loye, SI Mahmood, PA Nixon, MS Panesar, LE Plunkett, CMW Read, AJ Strauss, CT Tremlett, MP Vaughan

Englands 10 attempt this winter to beat Australia, cant see it happening!

I just hope Australia bat 1st and we get a lengthy game!

Game starts 0315am uk time..!

Australia should win this easily.. if they bat first 300+ easily on the board.. and if England bat first 160 all out...

cmon aussies...

Tait's first over was an absolute pie throw session, but he's got the ball swinging now and every ball is 150km/h +
Bracken as reliable as ever

Team Changes: Ponting misses out due to a hip injury and Lee is rested. Brad Hodge and Shaun Tait come in to replace them. Ravi Bopara makes his debut as Collingwood is ill and Tremlett is left out to give Sajid Mahmood a game.

Tait may have just bowled 95 mph. the commentator said 153 kph so I am guessing. But he is spraying the ball. saw some ball movement too
Eng 13-0 after 3.4

Tait drops a simple catch at third man. Joyce off Bracken
Eng 20-0 after 5.2

5.5 Bracken to Mal Loye, SIX!!, good length delivery on the stumps, Mal Loye goes down on his knees and slog sweeps it over backward square leg, that has gone ten rows back and interestingly, that was more of a top edge!!!

Good shot. 666666666666

Tait is an awesome prospect. This guy can go places, Aussies would be stupid not to take him to the worldcup.

Great start for the poms. England: 55/0 (9.5 Ovs)

Is Tait really bowling that fast :shock:

Asim2Good said:
tait bowled at 97mph ? last delivery of 9th over which went for four ?

Nah a bouncer before that. Tait is faster through the air than Lee, thanks to his slinging action, but far less accurate. He definitely needs to be on the WC team though - at the expense of Clark.

Loye tries to slog sweep McGrath and gets a top edge into the chin - eat that! The slowest pace bowler in Australia's team has knocked Pietersen out of the tournament, and just gave Loye a touch up!

Last edited:
10.5 McGrath to Mal Loye, no run, another good length delivery on the stumps, Mal Loye kneels down and goes for the slog sweep again, gets a top edge and bang on the helmet grill, he seems to have hurt himself here, the physio is in, ohhh there seems to be some blood involved too, his jaw is bleeding, hope this doesn't stop him from hitting these sixes, they are a treat to watch

Blood on the floor.

If you slog sweep a fast bowler, then you have to expect a nasty top-edge-to-the-face now and then

And predictably, Loye is completely shell-shocked and plays a nothing pull shot - straight to Bracken.

Makes me wonder that McGrath can still be so dangerous, yes it was a top edge but what about the ball into the ribs of pieterson ??
The aussies will miss him a lot. But if Tait keeps bowling the way he is doing now they wont miss mcgrath much, 97 mph is fast...very fast.

Master Blaster said:
Makes me wonder that McGrath can still be so dangerous, yes it was a top edge but what about the ball into the ribs of pieterson ??
The aussies will miss him a lot. But if Tait keeps bowling the way he is doing now they wont miss mcgrath much, 97 mph is fast...very fast.

Well even 130km/h into the floating rib is a painful prospect - especially when you're halfway down the pitch

12.6 McGrath to Joyce, FOUR!!, short of length delivery on the stumps, Joyce goes on the backfoot and pulls it away to deep mid wicket, that is not very well timed but he will fetch a boundary

mcgrath concedes his 1st four in 12 balls.

Glenn McGrath 2-0-5-1

what a bowler.

14.1 McGrath to Bell, FOUR!!, back of a length delivery outside the off stump, Bell goes on the backfoot and square drives it to sweeper cover, excellent shot, he got on top of the bounce very well

Another FOUR of mcgra's bowling. good shot by bell.

Tait - Fastest ball = 97.1 mph, slowest = 90.2, Average = 94.1

Rob H said:
Tait - Fastest ball = 97.1 mph, slowest = 90.2, Average = 94.1

Thats amazing for a guy who has bowled 6 over.

Average = 94.1
shockingzn8.gif

Unfortunately he has no wickets after all his effort and he is also given 6 rpo.

I'd hate to be Ian Bell. A bouncer at your throat at 95 mph.

then again it's followed by 5 wides

126/1 at the half way stage. I'd like it if our RR stayed above 5 from now on.

26.3 Bracken to Joyce, 1 run, good length delivery outside the off stump, Joyce opens the face of the bat and steers it to square third man to raise his 2nd ODI FIFTY!!

Gook knock. This guy can bat a bit.

England: 135/1 (26.5 Ovs)

32.1 White to Bell, 1 run, flighted delivery on the middle and leg, Bell comes down the track and drives it to long on, that is his 8th ODI FIFTY!!

Good knock by Bell.

England: 168/1 (32.4 Ovs)

seems like Aus ll let win Eng this game and may give them bonus point too. So can keep them in tournament and get revenge from NZ of their doings couple of years back

Out. Bell top edges a pull shot and is out for 51.
McGrath gets the wicket and Gilchrist takes the catch.

Australia scored around 10 per over in the last 15 against New Zealand. That was with a similar platform set. That's the kind of thing England need here to get a score that will really trouble the Aussies. Not saying anything less than that and england's done, but they need that to worry the aussies for now.

So the piece of trash Joyce is scoring runs eh Rob? :p

Good to see ENG doing well in this game but their bowling still looks a pile of rubbish....who the heck is going to open the bowling in the world cup?

41.2 Clark to Strauss, FOUR!!, short of length delivery outside the off stump, Strauss comes down the track and cuts it square of the wicket, he absolutely threw the kitchen sink at that!!!

Strauss is doing well here.

England: 217/3 (41.2 Ovs)

Ed Joyce 87(127)
Andrew Strauss* 24(19)

PlanetPakistan said:
Good to see ENG doing well in this game but their bowling still looks a pile of rubbish....who the heck is going to open the bowling in the world cup?

Jimmy anderson and if they were smart they would try to recall darren gough

why can't Flintoff open the bowling? why not open with Jimmy and Freddie and then have some one like Plunkett as the 1st change bowler!

100 for Ed Joyce and what an innings. A patient knock, just what we needed. Brilliant batting.

Sacrilicious said:
Tait has been busy cooking up some nice pies today - granted, he does serve them quickly.
speaking of Tait
Clark to Dalrymple, 2 runs, full toss patted to deep cover where Tait again makes a hash of some simple fielding. If he was trying to work his way out of a trip to the Caribbean he couldn't do a better job than he is today

PlanetPakistan said:
speaking of Tait
Clark to Dalrymple, 2 runs, full toss patted to deep cover where Tait again makes a hash of some simple fielding. If he was trying to work his way out of a trip to the Caribbean he couldn't do a better job than he is today

Unless he takes a hat-trick next over, then he'll be waving the team plane goodbye

Slow but good knock by joyce, he needs to accelerate now.

England: 253/4 (45.3 Ovs)

Jamie Dalrymple 15(9)

Dalrymple is doing a good job.

Joyce bounced out by Tait. Far too fast for him. Great 100

256/5

Sacrilicious said:
Unless he takes a hat-trick next over, then he'll be waving the team plane goodbye
this is a slight worry for AUS....their top 3 fast bowlers are great(Bracken, Lee and Mcgrath) but i don't think i would trust any one after that e.g this S Clark guy doesn't seem to perform in the ODIs at all!

Shaun Tait to Joyce, out Caught by Bracken!! Shaun Tait digs it in short, Joyce goes for the pull, gets a top edge and Bracken runs across to take a simple catch at short mid wicket, end of a fine innings from Joyce E Joyce c N Bracken b S Tait 107(142) 4s-10 6s-0
46.2 Shaun Tait to Joyce, THATS OUT!! Caught!!

Tait finally takes a wicket.

England: 256/5 (46.2 Ovs)

England looks like will not get what they could have a few overs back.

Nixon top edges one over the keeper for 4. Dumb bowling by Tait

and out. Another short ball, this time top edged to mid wicket. Too fast again.

PlanetPakistan said:
this is a slight worry for AUS....their top 3 fast bowlers are great(Bracken, Lee and Mcgrath) but i don't think i would trust any one after that e.g this S Clark guy doesn't seem to perform in the ODIs at all!

Johnson is coming up nicely, and then there's Hilfenhaus who really should be given a run ahead of Clark.

46.6 Shaun Tait to Nixon, THATS OUT!! Caught!!

Tait takes another wicket.

England: 261/6 (47.0 Ovs)

not a good ending this for the english.

PlanetPakistan said:
But then again doesn't every team have three good strike bowlers and then the part timers and run stoppers after that.

Sacrilicious said:
Johnson is coming up nicely, and then there's Hilfenhaus who really should be given a run ahead of Clark.
yea i forgot about Johnson...he might be a good replacement if any one gets injured!

Back