Australia vs India | 3rd Test | Melbourne | Dec 26-30, 2018 | Day 2 Thread

One of the tailenders has the highest number of double centuries in ODIs, including one against the host team :)))

But aren’t those runs on Indian flat beds? This track may be flat but I’m sure mr Sharma will fail trying to clear the big boundaries. He’s not fit enough to be a test cricketer.

One of the tailenders has the highest number of double centuries in ODIs, including one against the host team :)))

I always thought that tests and Odis are different formats. Weird.

India looking good, they win the series with a win here right

would there be a 2nd innings in this match ? curator needs to be blamed for this boring pitch

Given that Rohit's ODI average is a lot higher than his Test average, he should pretend he is playing in an ODI and go on the attack, sort of like Babar Azam who just scored 71 in almost a run a ball in a Test match.

My prediction -

India 400 all out in 155 overs
Australia 300 all out in 120 overs
India 250/5 dec in 100 overs
Australia 180/6 and bats out a draw in 90 odd overs

Golden opportunity lost for India because of poor batting and poor run rate they maintained

Given that Rohit's ODI average is a lot higher than his Test average, he should pretend he is playing in an ODI and go on the attack, sort of like Babar Azam who just scored 71 in almost a run a ball in a Test match.

He knows he won't be dropped for getting out by playing some rash shots in ODI , but situation is different in the test format. It's mental.

My prediction -

Golden opportunity lost for India because of poor batting and poor run rate they maintained

India is not likely to bat for 100 overs in 2nd inning with 2.5 runs per over. Here they want to bat till evening today to allow pitch to deteriorate. If pitch remains the same then Indians will regret playing so slow.

Last edited:
My prediction -

India 440 (still have pant and jadeja)
Australa 280
India 200 decl
Aus 170

:stokes lets see

Rohit won’t be able to play Babar like innings on a test match. It requires immense skill and more over an immense heart. Rohit has neither.

Food for thought - Babar took apart Steyn and plundered him for 10 boundaries in a space of 20 balls. Rohit was once laughed at by the same Steyn when he was unable to put bat on ball causing Rohit to cry and say come to India.

:))

India is not likely to bat for 100 overs in 2nd inning with 2.5 runs per over. Here they want to bat till evening today to allow pitch to deteriorate. If pitch remains the same then Indians will regret playing so slow.

India should have known earlier. This pitch is crap and will remain exactly like this on day 5 too..

326/4 & 45 overs left in the day . Score 90-100 in next 25 & declare should be the plan .

Rohit won’t be able to play Babar like innings on a test match. It requires immense skill and more over an immense heart. Rohit has neither.

Food for thought - Babar took apart Steyn and plundered him for 10 boundaries in a space of 20 balls. Rohit was once laughed at by the same Steyn when he was unable to put bat on ball causing Rohit to cry and say come to India.

Steyn of 2013 and Steyn of 2018. Not even close

326/4 & 45 overs left in the day . Score 90-100 in next 25 & declare should be the plan .

Pretty much India's plan here. I would think Indians will bat till 450 before declaring and bowl only 10-12 overs if they can last that long.

Not a bad idea at all now that he has had a look he should play this like an odi.

Pretty much India's plan here. I would think Indians will bat till 450 before declaring and bowl only 10-12 overs if they can last that long.

Still find it difficult to imagine a result here . Pitch is pathetic .

I would rather have India bat out the day.

i guess couple of Aussie pacers might be rested in Sydney . A 160 over bowlfest in this heat ... Rohit needs to make a move .

Rohit looks like he is playing is typical ODI knock ( I assume) Taking his time to settle in before unleashing the beast. :stokes

Pak should change home ground from UAE to Eng or SA.. :asad2

There was a graph shown yesterday comparing the 2, everything (pace bounce seam) was much lower in UAE while spin was same. Those dead pitches have really hurt Pakistan cricket. This dead pitch is hurting world cricket, hopefully Aussies have 2 epic collapses and lose by an innings

Hmm get personal when hard facts are presented. Typical. Anyway all the best.

Hard facts make you a troll. Last tournament your country played Rohit, he averaged 163 in the two games and Babar Azam averaged 28. You should feel honored that I am saying Rohit should follow Babar's strategy instead of trying to insult Rohit.

Last edited:
"Bit of a toss-up between Rajasthan Royals and Mumbai. If Rohit hits a six here, I'm going Mumbai," says Paine in a chat with short leg

Can anyone explain the sledge to me :irfan

True. Now if we had Hardik Pandya, he might be able to outdo Babar again.

Hard facts make you a troll. Last tournament your country played Rohit, he averaged 163 in the two games and Babar Azam averaged 28. You should feel honored that I am saying Rohit should follow Babar's strategy instead of trying to insult Rohit.

Asia cup on dead uae tracks is irrelevant. Try again.

Rohit crawling senselessly . Poor strategy if we do not bowl 18-20 overs today .

Throw him a bone please.

Babar's innings was the highlight of Pakistani cricket in 2018.

Surprisingly do not see any decent foot marks even after 140 overs of play . 346/4 & 35 overs to go after deducting 2 for innings change .

346-4 in 5 session of test cricket. I wonder when we last saw such a dismal scoring rate

This is UAE style cricket. :facepalm:

Not to forget that the Indian team was bowled out for 140 the last innings they played. So it will be good to have a 450+ score to give the batsmen faith that they can negotiate the Australian bowlers.

Crawling along will boost Aussie hopes, India will end up declaring around 400 to have a go at Aussie batting. Or get ~450 and declare overnight

India will not make Australia follow on here even if they have a chance. Might as well declare and put pressure on inexperienced Aussie line up. What they’re currently doing, is nuts.

May be they want to avoid a collapse here like they had at the Adelaide in quest of quick runs. Indian tail is far too fragile. They could go from 346/4 to 360 all out. Any team that has decent depth would have thrown kitchen sink at this tired bowling unit.

Bat 25 overs, get to 450, declare and let Aussies bat for 10 overs... That sounds like a neat plan

Not to forget that the Indian team was bowled out for 140 the last innings they played. So it will be good to have a 450+ score to give the batsmen faith that they can negotiate the Australian bowlers.

That was more a comment on the nature of these pitches in Australia.

Rohit is the luckiest test player ever.

He gets the best platform possible for a #6, plays completely pathetically and the 12th man drops an absolute sitter when he has only scored 15.

I don't like Rohit, the test batsman but this situation is tailor-made for him.

India should bat 20 overs and add 80-90 runs. Put Aus for 8-10 overs.

The ball that got Rahane out kept really low. Jadeja and Vihari licking their lips :)

These are the perils of batting too slowly, first Kohli and now Rahane gone.

The planning of Indian team is going well. The idea is to make Australia physically and mentally drained by keeping them on this hot weather for two days, forcing all the main bowlers to bowl 50 over each. The effects of this Chinese torture will be seen later in the test as well as in the next test.

Some fans who were hoping that India would collapse and fold up tamely this morning had their hopes dashed. Have no worry. The flurry of wickets that you are looking for will come when Australia bat.:sarf2

Wicket fell, but it may make India happy. Wickets keeping low with uneven bounce.

These are the perils of batting too slowly, first Kohli and now Rahane gone.

It is not a deliberate strategy. Both Kohli and Rahane started aggressively but the pitch and field placements bogged them down.

Back