Australia vs India | 3rd Test | Melbourne | Dec 26-30, 2018 | Day 2 Thread

This innings is good for India after 16 innings in SENA countries where we didn't get to 360 once. Lot of credit to Agarwal who blunted the Aussie pacers early in the innings.

And vihari too. Didn't score many but saw off the early sharp spells

Why aren’t India upping the rate?

Aussies are kinda batted out but if the Indians don’t show initiative this could Peter towards a draw

batting & the consequential r/r in this last session has been absurd & makes 1 wonder if there is a case for sacking Kohli as skipper .

They've been fielding for 2 days, why dont you put them to bat.?

Tomorrow morning, batsmen would be fresh after a night of rest.

25 overs - 82 runs - 1 wicket , score 428/5 , 9 overs left in day .
I would have gladly taken 18 overs - 80 runs - 4 wickets , dec at 428/8 & bowled 16 overs at tired Aussies .

Why aren’t India upping the rate?

Aussies are kinda batted out but if the Indians don’t show initiative this could Peter towards a draw

Last 10 overs 41 runs. So they have upped it.

batting & the consequential r/r in this last session has been absurd & makes 1 wonder if there is a case for sacking Kohli as skipper .

There is nothing in this pitch to suggest Indian bowlers are going to get anything Aussies didn't. This is a dead wicket and Indians for once are doing the smart thing, play until aussie legs fall off.

There is nothing in this pitch to suggest Indian bowlers are going to get anything Aussies didn't. This is a dead wicket and Indians for once are doing the smart thing, play until aussie legs fall off.

Aussie batsmen have not shown any pedigree to be able to play long innings

Only Khawaja seems capable of batting long periods

So they will likely lose concentration

Now that they've come this far, India needs to bat for as many overs they can and pile on misery on Australian bowlers and fielders. Their openers will be itching to go back to pavilion.

It will interesting to see what will be tactics of Indians now , will they go for runs or bat out time

It will interesting to see what will be tactics of Indians now , will they go for runs or bat out time

Seems like, there was an instruction to bat faster. It looks like they will play shots.

Aussie batsmen have not shown any pedigree to be able to play long innings

Only Khawaja seems capable of batting long periods

So they will likely lose concentration

But the tail knows how to play unlike ours, so it will kind of even out, if we had scored 600 by now sure declaring is smart, but declaring without at least getting 500 seems stupid here.

But the tail knows how to play unlike ours, so it will kind of even out, if we had scored 600 by now sure declaring is smart, but declaring without at least getting 500 seems stupid here.

this is not a TIMELESS Test .

So we declare, we aren't winning this. But at least we won't be losing.

There are some people who seem perpetually unhappy when the match is not going according to their wishes. To me it was a thoroughly enjoyable batting performance from India.

Rohit Sharma stranded, denied a well deserved ton by other incompetent Indian bats.

India should have started hitting out a bit earlier. India could have 480 runs here.

Now Rohit will milk this innings for next 2 years.

I would say Australia should try to bat till day 4 if they can to tire Indian bowlers and turn the tables on them

Aussies need to bat out minimum 5 sessions here to draw the game. They need to get as close as possible to India.

What are you talking here? India declared here.
I meant had they batted at a better pace, Rohit too would've had to move on and hence would've reached his ton. Incompetent Indian bats didn't and hence Rohit left stranded on 63*.

Just think, a boxing day test ton for Rohit! Even Rohit won't have dared to dream that big.

India should have started hitting out a bit earlier. India could have 480 runs here.

Wrong instructions sent out for Pant. He was blocking every ball for a substantial amount of time. They are confusing a 21 year old. They should let him be himself in situations like this.

Yes the next test is 4 days after this one, very little rest for their bowlers and fatigue could play big role in the next game.

Exactly. I don't like this declaration. Not enough runs and not enough wear and tear on the pitch

Wrong instructions sent out for Pant. He was blocking every ball for a substantial amount of time. They are confusing a 21 year old. They should let him be himself in situations like this.

The brainless wonder would have put India in big trouble getting out early had he not being told to defend.

Good call by India and now Australia with tons of work to do.

India have declared on 443/7 after some excellent contributions from Rohit Sharma 63* and Rishab Pant 39; Australia are 1/0 in reply on Day 2 of the 3rd Test

I meant had they batted at a better pace, Rohit too would've had to move on and hence would've reached his ton. Incompetent Indian bats didn't and hence Rohit left stranded on 63*.

Just think, a boxing day test ton for Rohit! Even Rohit won't have dared to dream that big.

Why didn't Rohit bat at a better pace himself?It was a poor despite the score coz he didn't bat according to the situation

Need to pluck out at least a wicket before stumps.

India should have got 500 plus before declaring.

Where is Ashwin? Is he dropped?

Aus should take 5 minutes to find a new helmet.

I think Jadeja would be key bowler here . Also , India could have played Kuldeep , he being a wrist spinner would have been difficult proportion.

I think Jadeja would be key bowler here . Also , India could have played Kuldeep , he being a wrist spinner would have been difficult proportion.

Indians were worried about long tail.

That's a myth that wrist spinners always do well on all surfaces.We learnt that with Karn Sharma on last tour.Even Kuldeep himself looked raw in England Test.Wrist spinners can leak runs too

He needs to improve his control before playing on overseas tracks

Aus lucky here. Bhumrah could have easily picked 2 wickets.

Fiery stuff from Bumrah. Much hyped Aussie pacers didn't look half as menacing on the track.

India missed a trick here by not upping the scoring earlier. 20 overs could have gotten 2-3 wickets. Tomorrow Aus batsmen will be in much better shape after a night rest.

Given the forecast for day 4 and 5, I am not sure this game will get a result. Would need to get Aussies all out tomorrow, to have any chance of a victory.

Ridiculous stuff from kohli and Shastri. If u really wanted to declare then why didn't u instruct ur boys to play a bit more aggressively at the back end of the innings. 440 in nearly two days by losing only 7 wickets looks quite bizarre.

Bumrah keeps things interesting

I wonder whether he will have a long career with such incisive bowling or be the typical Indian pacer with a shelf life of ~2 years and then disappear into oblivion....

Ridiculous stuff from kohli and Shastri. If u really wanted to declare then why didn't u instruct ur boys to play a bit more aggressively at the back end of the innings. 440 in nearly two days by losing only 7 wickets looks quite bizarre.
Maybe they did and weren’t able to put Aussies away effectively? You do realise that Aussies react accordingly as well and can bowl defensive lines

Also.... they did almost double their scoring rate to 4.5

Fiery stuff from Bumrah. Much hyped Aussie pacers didn't look half as menacing on the track.

The new ball did similar stuff for Aussies last evening nearly yielding kohli's wicket but for Paine's butter fingers.

Maybe they did and weren’t able to put Aussies away effectively? You do realise that Aussies react accordingly as well and can bowl defensive lines

Also.... they did almost double their scoring rate to 4.5

Aus did bowl defensively and field placing was defensive for pretty much entire day. It wasn't very easy to score fast, but India could have started hitting 10 overs earlier. I suspect they were afraid to get bowled out at 380-400 so they stretched it out a bit.

Anyway, pitch is not easy to score fast. It's a horrible pitch and MCG should get a warning. Uneven bounce on first 10 overs and no bounce.

Back