Australia vs Pakistan | 2nd Test | Adelaide | Nov 29 - Dec 3, 2019 | Day 1 | Match Thread

The Viper

T20I Debutant
Runs
Australia look to extend pink-ball dominance in the Adelaide Test

After going down by an innings and five runs in the series opener, Pakistan would hope to rediscover the winning touch in the day/night affair against Australia at the Adelaide Oval, starting Friday, 29 November.

Overview

Australia v Pakistan, 2nd Test
Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Friday, 29 November; 02:00 pm local, 03:30 am GMT

Having played five day/night Tests so far, one each against New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan, England, and Sri Lanka, Australia are the most experienced side in pink-ball cricket. They have emerged victorious in each of those five Tests at home and would hope to keep their unbeaten streak intact when they face Pakistan in such a contest for the second time, in Adelaide.

The pink ball is known to assist pacers, and in the past, the Australian fast bowlers have proved this fact with conviction. With 26 scalps to his name, Mitchell Starc is the most successful bowler with the pink cherry, followed by Josh Hazlewood with 21 wickets.

However, among the top five wicket-takers with the pink ball are two world-class bowlers: Pakistan's Yasir Shah (18) and Australia's Nathan Lyon (17), who prove that even the spinners have a vital role to play in day/night contests. The two experienced spinners are most likely to feature in the Adelaide Test, and would make for an engaging battle.

Australia were dominant with both bat and ball in the Gabba Test, and would look to repeat their collective performance in the next game. As for Pakistan, it would be interesting to see how their young pace attack fares with the pink ball. They need improvement in their batting department. Asad Shafiq, Babar Azam, and Mohammad Rizwan were the only batsmen from the Pakistan side to make fifty-plus scores.

Their skipper Azhar Ali, who only made 39 and 5 in the previous Test, could play a key role. His performances against the pink-ball have been impressive; he is the highest run-getter with 456 runs, including a brilliant 302*, while Steve Smith is second on the list with 405 runs.

Remember the last time:

Australia were at the top of their game from day one. Batting first, Pakistan got off to a steady start but once Pat Cummins broke the opening stand, the visitors lost wickets at an alarming rate. From 75/0, Pakistan were reduced to 94/5 in no time before Asad Shafiq took control of the proceedings for a while, but that resistance didn't last for long. He made a fighting 134-ball 76, guiding his team to a first-innings total of 240.

In response, Australia openers David Warner (154) and Joe Burns (97) made the Pakistan bowlers toil. Together, they stitched an opening stand of 222 before Burns fell three runs short of his century. The No.3 batsman Marnus Labuschagne (185) then joined forces with Warner, and they both played exceptionally well before Australia were bowled out for 580.

In their second outing with the bat, Azam top-scored with 104 while opener Shan Masood (42) and Rizwan (95) made useful contributions, before a Hazlewood-led attack bowled Pakistan out for 335 on the fourth day.

What they said:

Josh Hazlewood, Australia paceman: "The pink ball does swing for probably a bit longer and if you've got a new one at night we know what can happen. I'm looking forward to getting it back in the hand, it's been quite a while."

Azhar Ali, Pakistan captain: "The young attack has a lot of potential, but you can’t buy experience. It’s never easy in a place like Australia. They started off little shaky, but they came back strongly. I believe if they manage to do that from the start of the innings, they’ll be a totally different attack after that."

Conditions:

The forecast doesn't look promising with more than 70 percent chance of rain in the next three days, with a slightly lesser chance on the final two days. Play is likely to get interrupted for a couple of hours due to bad weather conditions.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1506451

There is a light drizzle currently in Adelaide.

Just walked past Misbah sitting next to Shaheen on a bench seat in the lobby. Abbas walked past them as if they weren’t there, which was a little funny: he wasn’t rude, there was just clearly no sort of relationship between them.

I come here every year, and I must say, this Pakistan team looks much less united than other touring teams. But that’s just a first impression.

Just walked past Misbah sitting next to Shaheen on a bench seat in the lobby. Abbas walked past them as if they weren’t there, which was a little funny: he wasn’t rude, there was just clearly no sort of relationship between them.

I come here every year, and I must say, this Pakistan team looks much less united than other touring teams. But that’s just a first impression.

These things will be byproducts Whenever we will have local coach.

Do you think we're going to get any play today?

2:30-4:30 Afternoon session
4:30-4:50 Tea
4:50-6:50 Twilight session
6:50-7:30 Dinner
7:30-10 Night session

Do you think we're going to get any play today?

Yes, the ground is dry and it’s a floodlit game anyway.

So long as it’s not actually raining they will be playing.

But the normal equations about sessions to bat and bowl go out of the window - it will be like Asif’s Day 1 at Sydney in 2009-10.

So a 16 year old kid was thrown in and his body could not cope up...why are people surprised 😱

This is going to be so frustrating, Pakistan are going to hammer australia, but the rain is going to prevent a Pakistani victory!

Test matches are boring as heck, add rain interruptions on all five days, you are talkng about the worst boredom possible to man and then after 5 days , the match is drawn! Smh.

Must say, surprised with Aussie call - they are batting first despite threats of overs lost for weather interruptions.

This is going to be so frustrating, Pakistan are going to hammer australia, but the rain is going to prevent a Pakistani victory!

Test matches are boring as heck, add rain interruptions on all five days, you are talkng about the worst boredom possible to man and then after 5 days , the match is drawn! Smh.

Did you see the last test match.?? Pakistan will hammer Australia lol. Australians need hardly 3 days to finish off.

Musa didn’t do a thing in domestic cricket to deserve a call, our cricket has become a joke.

Despite that I wish him all the best for his debut

Musa didn’t do a thing in domestic cricket to deserve a call, our cricket has become a joke.

Despite that I wish him all the best for his debut

Absolutely shocking selection when Sameen Gul and Ehsan Adil have done well and are suited to those conditions.

By the way, it’s damp and gray, like at Sydney in 2009-10.

EB5FB57B-B29F-46E0-AA15-B6A9106817AF.jpg

EKgkUrIXkAAcCxS.jpg

Look at the roof of the Chappell Stand on the left. Pakistan’s fans are getting ready to jump...

.F8EBD326-0B97-4DF5-80A5-DE34665F7640.jpg

The covers are going back on though.

Australia to be all out for 97 with Steve smith out for a first ball duck.. Abbas 6/22 Babar to break Lara’s record and score 402 and imam a 210 to shut up his haters with finger on his lips gesture.. Pakistan score 889/7 and declare. Steve smith gets another duck and a golden pair.oz all out for 232 and Pakistan gets a dramatic win after waiting for 30 years..Pakistan team do a lap run of Adelaide crowd and all Pakistani restaurants in Australia serve food for free for a week..
You heard it here.

I'm still in shock. I bet this management was disappointed that Naseem didn't win the last game for Pakistan on his own

Honestly he still was the best bowler from Pakistan in last match

Awful stuff

as if things weren't bad enough we find way to make it even worse, screw this management, ifti over Haris, musa over Naseem, absolutely clueless and shameless management.

Yasir has no business playing a pink ball test match in Australia. Absolute waste of a spot there.

In all seriousness though there looks like good cloud cover and swing is Australia’s kryptonite ...would be a good match to watch so leaving work early and eager to see the contest ..fun stuff

Naseem is not INJURED

Why would an injured bowler bowl in the nets?

Misbah is the most pathetic coach

Honestly he still was the best bowler from Pakistan in last match

Awful stuff

I'm lost for words. He gets to bowl on a road and gets dropped for a game where he'd get the most assistance. Seriously, this management is unbelievable

Naseem is not INJURED

This is awful man

Watching Naseem’s perfect seam position in last match I was so excited to watch him bowl with pink ball

Misbah as coach is the worst thing to happen ever to Pakistan cricket

Naseem is not INJURED

Everyone at my hotel is here for the match. And the crowd at the ground are fairly surprised.

People don’t really know that Misbah is the coach, but Pakistan’s management are simply a laughing stock, for dropping Abbas last time and Naseem this time.

I didn’t berate Misbah when I encountered him because he’s a stubborn, incorrigible man who never accepts dissenting views. I’m just waiting to see Wasim Khan, who must be as shocked as we all are by Misbah’s insane selections in both Tests.

here is the twist, we can't afford bowl out Oz too quickly, then we have to face pink ball under little lights and cloud, so even if we get then out for 150 they will bowl us out for 50 , so we are in loss loss situation.

Misbah as coach is the worst thing to happen ever to Pakistan cricket

I don’t agree.

Misbah as Head Coach is the second worst thing to happen to Pakistan cricket.

Misbah as Chief Selector is the absolute worst thing to happen to Pakistan cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is the twist, we can't afford bowl out Oz too quickly, then we have to face pink ball under little lights and cloud, so even if we get then out for 150 they will bowl us out for 50 , so we are in loss loss situation.

I don’t see how this bowling attack can do that. Bar ABBAS noone can swing the ball

Nasim is a genuine swing bowler he was needed here

It works both ways.

Rain delays will stop Australia from declaring early - we’ve already lost 4 of the 60 overs before Dinner.

If Pakistan can dismiss them in 65 overs it may well be close to the close, which would let Pakistan bat by day tomorrow.

When you thought Pakistan team management and selection commettee couldn't possible get worse, then you are reminded this is Pakistan.

Oh dude.. You are awsome lol

Abbas bowling at 120 & giving Warner a stare. LOL. I can sense an Epic Phainty incoming.

Naseem might be dropped because of his 20 + no balls(unnoticed by the umpire) in one session

some luck would do as well, but we seem like destined to lose forever in test in Oz

Australia to be all out for 97 with Steve smith out for a first ball duck.. Abbas 6/22 Babar to break Lara’s record and score 402 and imam a 210 to shut up his haters with finger on his lips gesture.. Pakistan score 889/7 and declare. Steve smith gets another duck and a golden pair.oz all out for 232 and Pakistan gets a dramatic win after waiting for 30 years..Pakistan team do a lap run of Adelaide crowd and all Pakistani restaurants in Australia serve food for free for a week..
You heard it here.

Congratulations on being the lease funny individual in the world

Good to see Shaheen learning to move the ball into the right handers as well.

Abbas hitting the right lengths, the one which Imran Khan should have hit in the first match to create pressure.

Hope Abbas Akhtar can get a wicket with that 120kph. Moving the ball a bit.

Good stuff from Shaheen. Pacers just need to keep it there and Musa should try to get his lengths right straight away once he comes into the attack.

Aussies normally don’t mess with toss but this one I am not sure - I would have bowled first. I think, Australia’s idea is that the gap is so wide that over 4 innings they’ll recover whatever advantage PAK can have bowling first, but this was a bowl first condition.

Back