Australia vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Hobart | Dec 14-18, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Aussie

Senior Test Player
Runs
Forget that rubbish Indian pitch, time for a real cricket pitch!

The Tasmanians have been threatened with fines by CA for having the pitch too green this year, it is considered the best bowling wicket in Oz.

The trend in domestic has been a lot of wickets falling early then bigger scores in third and fourth inning.

Aus have moved Watson to four and brought in Phil Hughes who has dominated domestic (and allegedly has a leg side game) - I think Hughes might carve it up against the SL bowlers who look pretty weak in the pace department.

The great Peter Siddle returns for Hastings, Hilfy in for MJ and Starc keeps his place.

No idea about the Sri Lankan team but they have been in very ordinary form of late, losing Test series at home and their batters usually take a while to get used to Aussie conditions.

Match starts in an hour, forecast is for a sunny but cool day.

Looks like an easy win for the Aussies if it's a green top, only positive for SL is a green top might bring their pacers in to the game.

They do have Herath the Destroyer, who will get wickets against us. But this Test I think we should crush them.

Can't see SL putting up a fight on a bowling wicket. They're useless outside of SL and off flat tracks.

First match without Punter ! Can't see SL winning TBH. Sanga, Mahela and Dilshan are still quality players but thier bowling is pretty poor. Herath is a good spinner but won't get that turn and low bounce in oz.

As for the aussie bowling decent although pretty inexperinced. Hussey and Clarke are the stand out batsmen, the rest are pretty average IMO

This pitch IS NOT a Hobart greentop.

Cloud cover is present which will give the bowlers hope but I predict heavy scoring by Oz, 350+, maybe 450.

Code:
[B][COLOR="Blue"]Player		Mat	Inns	Overs	Mdns	Runs	Wkts	BBI	BBM	Ave	Econ	SR	5	10 [/COLOR][/B]
Eranga		4*	6	94.2	16	318	10	4/65	5/127	[COLOR="Red"]31.80[/COLOR] 	[COLOR="blue"]3.37[/COLOR]	56.6	0	0 
Kulasekara	18*	31	454.0	103	1357	41	4/21	8/58	[COLOR="red"]33.09[/COLOR]	[COLOR="blue"]2.98[/COLOR]	66.4	0	0 
Welegedara	19*	31	544.3	98	1934	48	5/52	6/106	[COLOR="Red"]40.29[/COLOR]	[COLOR="Blue"]3.55[/COLOR]	68.0	2	0

Sri Lankan pace attack is making Indian pace attack look good!! They are going to get KILLED!!!

Oz to get 450-500. No offence to Lankans but Welegedara is mediocre and Kula is certified Pakistan basher. Eranga looked okay. Herath is the key but he needs support and I dont think Hobart on day 1 provides much help to spinner.

Nicholas :facepalm:

There has to be a limit to sucking up to fellow commentators. And comparing Hughes to Gilly.

Oz to get 450-500. No offence to Lankans but Welegedara is mediocre and Kula is certified Pakistan basher. Eranga looked okay. Herath is the key but he needs support and I dont think Hobart on day 1 provides much help to spinner.

It's not really known for turn at any stage. But honestly they have relaid the square and I have no idea how it will behave anymore- all we see in domestic cricket here are greentops but this one is a bit cracked already on day 1.

Yeah the commentary is going to be unbearable this series, if we dominate as expected.

Hughes will score quickly here. He is the sort of batsman you do not want to get in because he does make you pay.

According to Rodney Hogg the srilankan quickies are the worst set of bowlers to land on australian shores , ever .

Nicholas takes the biscuit, I enjoyed his commentary early days but now his emotions cast a big cloud over his analysis. If Kerry Packet was still alive he would tear up that indefinite contract and perhaps even ask him to pay some back.

And ya pitch isn't doing much, nice carry and slight movement but nothing else in it.

Average bowling. No movement- going through the motions.....

Hughes not a pretty sight either.

Forget this rubbish pitch too. The pitches this summer in Australia have been no good IMO.

Well Hughes has improved his technique a bit now, doesn't dance on the pitch now.

Forget this rubbish pitch too. The pitches this summer in Australia have been no good IMO.

so True.

Opp end of the spectrum (other end being Nagpur pitch lol)

I thought they made them flatter on purpose against Saffers. But why against SL?

Also, wasnt the hobart pitch a greentop a few weeks back??

It's probably because I am personally even less sophisticated than his batting technique, but I always rated Philip Hughes. IMO Hughes is the most talented batsman in this current top three, so as long as he is not constantly throwing it away and can race to the occasional 50 or 100 then he merits a place. A little like Sehwag, his hand-eye coordination and aggression can take the pitch out of the equation as we saw in South Africa a while ago.

Siddle and Starc should play every test. Patto, Siddle and Starc. Good pace attack. If and when Patto breaks down, Hilfy is decent backup.

Just when I was going to say that the only way Lankans will get 10 wickets with this attack is through 3-4 runouts.

It's 6am here in Pak so there's no way I'm getting out of bed. What are conditions like? Overcast? Is it really as green as they predicted?

If so - Lankans couldn't get more than 1 wicket? (exc runout)

It's 6am here in Pak so there's no way I'm getting out of bed. What are conditions like? Overcast? Is it really as green as they predicted?

Not really green, some balls stop a bit and bounce I guess but pretty good for batting I'd say. But there are some cracks which might come in to play later on.

looking flat so far.

There is cloud cover and will be for next few days.

Pitch is not green at all. Dry if anything. There is already some early cracking, but it is well grassed so it won't break quickly.

Looks a good batting wicket but there is enough grass that Australia's pacers will make it look a different wicker IMO.

Hughes would be still be found out by better bowling attacks, at least he's got a leg side play now though

so True.

Opp end of the spectrum (other end being Nagpur pitch lol)

I thought they made them flatter on purpose against Saffers. But why against SL?

Also, wasnt the hobart pitch a greentop a few weeks back??

They dont make them flat to help our team, put it that way.

They make them flat so they get the full five days TV ratings and advertising out of each game. Flat pitches dont help the current Aus team at all.

But the pitches were good last year, this year they have been flat and frankly, poor for the bowlers.

It's probably because I am personally even less sophisticated than his batting technique, but I always rated Philip Hughes. IMO Hughes is the most talented batsman in this current top three, so as long as he is not constantly throwing it away and can race to the occasional 50 or 100 then he merits a place. A little like Sehwag, his hand-eye coordination and aggression can take the pitch out of the equation as we saw in South Africa a while ago.

His new batting technique reminds me a bit of Sehwag, with the wrists and the follow through. I am convinced of his talent, not convinced of his technique, but I do know that the opposition want to get this guy out early because if he stays in he makes runs and lots of them.

The other thing he can do, is hit good deliveries to the point fence. Unfortunately that strength is also his weakness, he can hit them directly to slip too.

As an Aussie fan, I am getting very tired of the curators and media hyping up every pitch like its gonna be lively and then come gameday, we get a road. Its pathetic.

As an Aussie fan, I am getting very tired of the curators and media hyping up every pitch like its gonna be lively and then come gameday, we get a road. Its pathetic.

Yep, I've almost given up on the Gabba wicket. Of all out grounds the gap between the hype & the reality at the Gabba the last few years has been ridiculous.

What's weird is all the Shield wickets are lively, all the test pitches are roads.

I don't understand why as an Aussie fan you would annoyed by these kind of pitches? Most teams, especially subcontinental teams can't bat on these pitches. You can them apart on these pitches easily. Both in batting and bowling. As a cricket view I can understand you would get bored of one-sided contests.

Have to feel for siddle and hilf as well, they have to slog it out on two dead tracks they get rested on the one track with a bit of life and then back to the grind here.

Yep, I've almost given up on the Gabba wicket. Of all out grounds the gap between the hype & the reality at the Gabba the last few years has been ridiculous.

What's weird is all the Shield wickets are lively, all the test pitches are roads.

Yep and therefore batting in Test cricket in Australia is much easier than batting in domestic. England had this problem a few years back but seem to have fixed it*

*by not picking English batsmen

I don't understand why as an Aussie fan you would annoyed by these kind of pitches? Most teams, especially subcontinental teams can't bat on these pitches. You can them apart on these pitches easily. Both in batting and bowling. As a cricket view I can understand you would get bored of one-sided contests.

Sri lanka can bat on these pitches, sanga almost won them the hobart test a few years ago on a pitch like this.

I wish the whinging indian's were right and we did serve up green decks.

Yep and therefore batting in Test cricket in Australia is much easier than batting in domestic. England had this problem a few years back but seem to have fixed it*

*by not picking English batsmen

:))) Gold :)))

I would rather see a cracking contest than my team win by an innings. And I want to see the pitches like they used to be, we used to have a perfect mix for a series.

Brisbane - seams and bounces, flattens out, then takes spin

Perth - bounce and seam

Adelaide - road

Hobart - raging green top

MCG - a bit for everyone

SCG - flat wicket that turns and cracks

You could watch two teams play in all these conditions during the one summer. Now they are all roads except for the MCG.

Sri lanka can bat on these pitches, sanga almost won them the hobart test a few years ago on a pitch like this.

I wish the whinging indian's were right and we did serve up green decks.

Sri Lanka has never won a Test in Australia so this almost is always going to remain almost.

Well yeah you have to bowl well to win tests on these pitches and sri lanka have a woeful attack, but your assertion they can't make runs on pitches like this is wrong.

I would rather see a cracking contest than my team win by an innings. And I want to see the pitches like they used to be, we used to have a perfect mix for a series.

Perth - bounce and seam

Adelaide - road

MCG - a bit for everyone

You could watch two teams play in all these conditions during the one summer. Now they are all roads except for the MCG.

Yeah true as a cricket fan it's annoying to see one-sided affair but Test pitches have become flat all over the world. Also, bitter truth is your team is not good enough to win consistently on green-tops. Your batsmen crumble and you lose the edge. I am sure you won't mind taking a chance even if it means your team might lose but I don't think Cricket Australia thinks like that. I know cricket australia doesn't dictate what kind of pitches should be used but curators read between the lines.

Last edited:
Well yeah you have to bowl well to win tests on these pitches and sri lanka have a woeful attack, but your assertion they can't make runs on pitches like this is wrong.

if you can score you can get other teams out through scoreboard pressure. #India. C'mon they have never won a single match.

Yeah true as a cricket fan it's annoying to see one-sided affair but Test pitches have become all over the world. Also, bitter truth is your team is not good enough to win consistently on green-tops. Your batsmen crumble and you lose the edge. I am sure you won't mind taking a chance even if it means your team might lose but I don't think Cricket Australia thinks like that. I know cricket australia doesn't dictate what kind of pitches should be used but curators read between the lines.

Yep but I would say Test pitches have become awful all over the world.

The ball moves sideways off the pitch and everyone cries green top. I want to see a contest between bat and ball.

As far as winning and losing goes, I watched 15 years of us smashing every other team everywhere. I would rather see a good contest with good skills, win or lose;.

Perth - bounce and seam

Adelaide - road

MCG - a bit for everyone

The oval was flattish overall but started turning later on as well.

and dont forget day 1 on most pitches used to have some movement.

Gabba & WACA -> some of the carry off the pitch we used to see - bit saddening to see the flat roads they have become.....

Last edited:
Got to say the quality of upcoming talents in lanka have been pretty ordinary. 4-5 years ago they produced the likes of mendis and mathews. Though the latter faded away once he was figured out, the latter did make a big impact.

the 2007 WC was lucky to have such great players like murali, vaas, sangakkara, jayawardene. SL seems to be strugglin to produce players who seem like being as good these legends. Got to say that thirimanne, chandimal, perera will have to work their skins out to even be classed anywhere near the likes of sanga and jaya

I agree RA.

Last year, the pitches had some spice in them. I think they truly feared SA on quick and bouncy wickets: and this bear fruit in Perth.

I used to like watching Aussie tests (still like Perth) because of the variety of conditions. But now, they're all roads.

Shame.

You can blame Cricket Australia and TV rights. They want 5 day matches and direct the owners of the stadiums to do so.

Quite sure that the WACA and TCA are the only assoications that own their grounds so they can prepare better wickets. The problem the WACA has is that they're run out of the clay they originally used and have yet to find an acceptable alternative.

Very happy with Hughes today. Always rated him and believe he, along with Burns are the only young batsmen in Australia who genuinely have the ability to be world class.

You can blame Cricket Australia and TV rights. They want 5 day matches and direct the owners of the stadiums to do so.

Quite sure that the WACA and TCA are the only assoications that own their grounds so they can prepare better wickets. The problem the WACA has is that they're run out of the clay they originally used and have yet to find an acceptable alternative.

Very happy with Hughes today. Always rated him and believe he, along with Burns are the only young batsmen in Australia who genuinely have the ability to be world class.

I still doubt his technique, especially after seeing his dismissal now

Oh, Hughes! You live by the sword...
But a fine contribution.

200/4 is a crossroads score, Aussies have to consolidate for now.

Also I know he only got 30 today, but I say that 4 is the right position for Watson.

Healy telling us how Clarke-Hussey will win the match from here:))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back