Australia vs West Indies | 2nd Test | Adelaide | 4-8 Dec 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Aussie fans on the internet saying Hauritz clearly did not touch the ball which ran Barath out.... interesting.

At sometime today I predict a dodgy umpiring decision will get the key WI batsman out, that is the script. :p

Random Aussie said:
Some Aussie fans on the internet saying Hauritz clearly did not touch the ball which ran Barath out.... interesting.

At sometime today I predict a dodgy umpiring decision will get the key WI batsman out, that is the script. :p

So if he did not touch the ball, would it be right to appeal? It's like asking a batsman to start walking if he has nicked the ball. I do think the 3rd umpire should have taken more time in reviewing it...didn't look conclusive to me.

Last edited:
By the way I was watching the 2005 Ashes drama on Sky Sports. What a thrilling match that was where Eng needed 129 or so to win. Warne was on a roll...
Ashes certainly brings a lot of emotions from the players and their country men...no doubt.

tdigi said:
So if he did not touch the ball, would it be right to appeal? It's like asking a batsman to start walking if he has nicked the ball. I do think the 3rd umpire should have taken more time in reviewing it...didn't look conclusive to me.

No it would not be right to appeal, which was the gist of the comments I read from Aussie fans. I didn't see it though so I can't comment.

But seeing as Bollinger claimed a catch that had clearly bounced (in the spirit of the great honest man Ganguly) who knows anymore?

100 up for WI, 112 ahead with 8 wickets in hand. Need wickets need wickets fast....

tdigi, last 2 posts, completely agree.

And the way Hoggard completely obliterated the Aussie batting in the first innings, Warne almost winning it for them in the end with Punters expletives sandwiched inbetween. :p

Not entirely sure what this double spin spell is achieving, unless Ponting saw Gayle's tactics and decided to emulate. But wasting time is not going to help us it will help them.

Random Aussie said:
But seeing as Bollinger claimed a catch that had clearly bounced (in the spirit of the great honest man Ganguly) who knows anymore?
In honesty, I do think some players stretch the spirit of the game to the limit.
Chris Gayle was actually asking Hauritz later if he touched the ball. Ian Chappel went on to comment..."it's none of your business mate" ;-)
Well...such things do happen...move on.

Good to see west indies playing well for a change...gives me some hope for Pakistan when we tour.

mindless slogging said:
And the way Hoggard completely obliterated the Aussie batting in the first innings, Warne almost winning it for them in the end with Punters expletives sandwiched inbetween. :p
lol..yeah Punter. Tomorrow at lunch time is the review of the final match. I am not going to miss it.. :)

Last edited:
tdigi said:
In honesty, I do think some players stretch the spirit of the game to the limit.
Chris Gayle was actually asking Hauritz later if he touched the ball. Ian Chappel went on to comment..."it's none of your business mate" ;-)
Well...such things do happen...move on.

Yep no doubt some do. But I would prefer they didn't.

The worry is that Ian Chappell is more likely than any of our current team to stand up to Gayle, bunch of softies they are these days....

126 run lead and again I don't see the point in this toothless spin "attack"......

However, would be very good for cricket in general if the WI can snag this game....

WI will need 300 or so to put some pressure. One quick wicket here...and it will be fun.

tdigi said:
lol..yeah Punter. Tomorrow at lunch time is the review of the final match. I am not going to miss it.. :)

Has it been on throughout the test match? I haven't watched the luch break due to Pak match.

mindless slogging said:
Has it been on throughout the test match? I haven't watched the luch break due to Pak match.
I don't know. This is the first time I am really watching..so I am in the same boat as you. I was also watching Pak-NZ match. Always thought that Aus-WI would be a one sided affair...but things are getting a little interesting today.

Now you know why Punter wasted that referral coz it was against Gayle. He is the danger man and if he sticks after tea then he has the ability to increase the run rate for sure.

tdigi said:
I don't know. This is the first time I am really watching..so I am in the same boat as you. I was also watching Pak-NZ match. Always thought that Aus-WI would be a one sided affair...but things are getting a little interesting today.

Yeah, c'mon WIndies. :p

Anyway, Gayle absolutely smashes it, even for a single. Bollinger in now, all spin attack changed by Ponting. Let's see how it goes.

CHanderpaul gone.....lbw. Let the drama begin :D

Drinks, lead of 159 halfway through the afternoon session. 4.5 sessions of cricket to go in this game.

Some sledging going on now. Johnson at Gayle.

Don't think Gayle will take that. Will definitely target him and play more freely now.

*** did just Bollinger do? That was some shocking stuff. He should be fined for dissent. These aussie players do that too often.

Rauf is showing that he is not test match quality here. Very poor umpiring indeed.

Hell Yea Asad Rauf gave him a nasty look after that incident...He sure dosent look happy Asad that is ....Time for Bolly to get a fine/suspension...

Fish said:
Rauf is showing that he is not test match quality here. Very poor umpiring indeed.

Hes still better than Saheba though :D

FAHAD KHAN said:
Hell Yea Asad Rauf gave him a nasty look after that incident...He sure dosent look happy Asad that is ....Time for Bolly to get a fine/suspension...

I dont think Rauf will get another game after this, he has almost singlehandedly wrecked this game with his incompetence.

Rauf will probably get fined for his stupid decision as third umpire.

Fish said:
I dont think Rauf will get another game after this, he has almost singlehandedly wrecked this game with his incompetence.

Did Jay Prakkash got a fine after getting a 10 fer?? :D

Lead 186, Gayle on 99* and on strike. Threat of rain.

And yeah Bollinger carries on like a pork chop and could do with some lightening of the pocket to teach him a lesson...

Fish said:

I havent seen the whole match but that particular appeal looked high to me on first look,It was just clipping the bail too..
But there is no excuse for trying to intimidate umpires with these exaggerated appeals and nagative tactics...
Thank god Rauf is not falling for that stuff...

I really hope West Indies can win this game. They have played really well against a top team. I have no idea how the pitch is doing, but it seems like they're on course.

182/3

FAHAD KHAN said:
I havent seen the whole match but that particular appeal looked high to me on first look,It was just clipping the bail too..
But there is no excuse for trying to intimidate umpires with these exaggerated appeals and nagative tactics...
Thank god Rauf is not falling for that stuff...

:13: You sound like Indian fan mate

Well, touring side trying to work out when to declare against us - at home. Interesting stuff.

Gayle has answered his critics the best way possible. The lead is 195.

Congrats to Gayle on a fantastic century - it was weird seeing him bat, very sedate BUT it was the right way to go and he is doing a great job so far.

Its a rarerity to see Gayle score at close to 50 Strike Rate

Random Aussie said:
:13: You sound like Indian fan mate

Well, touring side trying to work out when to declare against us - at home. Interesting stuff.

Gayle has answered his critics the best way possible. The lead is 195.

This'll be a tough call for them. I don't think they will be comfortable with a lead less than 350 on this type of wicket, but they will need at least 3 if not more sessions to bowl the OZ out. Looking like a draw unless they go ballistic this session and somehow poach early wickets tonight.

OZGOD said:
This'll be a tough call for them. I don't think they will be comfortable with a lead less than 350 on this type of wicket, but they will need at least 3 if not more sessions to bowl the OZ out. Looking like a draw unless they go ballistic this session and somehow poach early wickets tonight.

They should not even think about declaring with a lead of less then 300. Australia will certainly chase that down on this pitch.

Sadly, I think this one is heading for a draw unless the Windies blow the Aussies away in two session tomorrow after batting until lunch.

This pitch usually gets funky on the fifth day, would be unlikely to remain a road.

In any event, we are not winning this match, WI are dictating terms. I almost hope they can win, might shut some of our media up "not good enough to play test cricket, they belong in tier 2 etc"

Slow going after tea but one from Hauritz just misbehaved with bounce....it is staring to crack up

Random Aussie said:
This pitch usually gets funky on the fifth day, would be unlikely to remain a road.

In any event, we are not winning this match, WI are dictating terms. I almost hope they can win, might shut some of our media up "not good enough to play test cricket, they belong in tier 2 etc"

Slow going after tea but one from Hauritz just misbehaved with bounce....it is staring to crack up
I might get criticism for this, but at the moment I think West Indies has a better batting side than Pakistan (or at least more potential anyway). Good openers, decent middle order. The current West Indies for me is always a team of great potential but under performs a lot unfortunately.

I don't like this tier system that's being suggested (who suggested it in the first place). All teams fluctuate in quality over time. If you prevent lower ranked teams playing higher ranked teams, then how do you expect them to learn (and find out their weaknesses/learn from their mistakes). Also What I don't get about the tier system is that they say Aus, SA, India and England are the top 4 and would be in tier 1(when really isn't Sri Lanka 2nd).

West Indies, Pakistan (even when they're not playing their best) and New Zealand still put up good fights/challenges for the more highly ranked cricketing nations.

Bangladesh is a weak team and unlike the rest doesn't really put up a good challenge. Though they are relatively new to cricket and will improve. The standard in their U19 is already showing, and given time, they will become more competitive.(Zimbawe don't play test anymore though I'd welcome their return when they're ready).

Want West Indies to win in this match to purely show that the world that they are a competitive test nation. Also they're great to watch to :)

OZGOD said:
It's not everyday you're in the position to beat Australia!
I'd declare on 300 and give it a shot at bowling them out. Momentum is with West Indies, and they just might be able to bowl Australia for under 300.

ads101, you are right. West indies do have a better batting unit than Pakistan.

Gayle, Barath, Sarwan, Chanders, Bravo are much better than our Butt, Malik, Farhat and Misbah.

Random Aussie said:
Lead 247, looks like no plan to declare tonight.

I'm guessing they will declare 1 hour into the morning session tomorrow when they can get a lead of around 350 and will feel safe.

This is heading towards a draw, I can't see Windies bowling out Australia in one day at all.

ads101 said:
I might get criticism for this, but at the moment I think West Indies has a better batting side than Pakistan (or at least more potential anyway). Good openers, decent middle order. The current West Indies for me is always a team of great potential but under performs a lot unfortunately.

Want West Indies to win in this match to purely show that the world that they are a competitive test nation. Also they're great to watch to :)

West Indies are a much better batting team than Pakistan. Not as good at bowling though.

They are also capable when focused of beating anyone. Our media and ex players have helpfully focused them by saying they are not good enough for Test cricket. The problem is they play one good Test and then go back to being lazy.

Haddin why don't you let through a few more byes? It is not like runs matter at this stage of the Test match eh? :pissed: Lead is 252.

Now Bublu will come and say Gayle is better then Yousuf and Inzi since he has a hundred in Aus.

ali_ed2006 said:
I'm guessing they will declare 1 hour into the morning session tomorrow when they can get a lead of around 350 and will feel safe.

This is heading towards a draw, I can't see Windies bowling out Australia in one day at all.

Wait and see what happens tomorrow. Every Adelaide Test always looks like being a draw until it isn't.

Gayle has been in control of the match and he obviously has a plan - cos Bravo is not batting in his normal style.

Edit - Bravo out to MJ. After a spell full of rubbish, such is the power of MJ.

Xoib said:
Now Bublu will come and say Gayle is better then Yousuf and Inzi since he has a hundred in Aus.

Hard guy to rate Gayle, on potential he is a great. On results he is a dud with the occasional awesome innings.

RexRex said:
i sense a mighty gayle blowing the aussies away now.

Well Gayle is now caught it between isn't he. If he tries to attack and gets out, then less chance of a big lead since tail has been exposed.

Random Aussie said:
Hard guy to rate Gayle, on potential he is a great. On results he is a dud with the occasional awesome innings.
A guy with such a poor technique early on can never be a great. A poor man's Sehwag.

This game has come alive, WI going for it now. Lead 278.

MJ bowling utter junk again but has 6 wickets for the game. Amazing.

Seriously Ponting you have a long on for MJ?

Highest ever chase at Adelaide is 315 btw

MJ's try hard toughness is laughable from a bloke who admitted his mum's criticism affected his bowling in the Ashes...

strange tactics by WI today ,once they had 200+ lead with 7 wickets in hand they shoudl have accelerated ....could have easily had a lead of 350+ by end of day

jusarrived said:
strange tactics by WI today ,once they had 200+ lead with 7 wickets in hand they shoudl have accelerated ....could have easily had a lead of 350+ by end of day

Or could have been all out for 260. They are in a very strong position though.

from what i saw there was lot of assistance for spinners , chasing 300+ wont be easy .

C'mon on Gayle take Windies beyond 315 today.

Windies lead by 289 runs, 3 wickets remaining. 4.3 overs left.

330 lead and they should declare on that. Get that within the first 15 minutes tomorrow.

Lead 295, 2.5 overs to go. Not sure they can plan to get to 330 with their tailenders.

But we are in trouble tomorrow I fear.

And people thinking 300 on the 5th day is not enough against us are forgetting the batters involved. There is no Hayden, no Langer, no Symonds, no Gilly - only guy we have who can score fast in Test cricket now is Ponting (and Haddin until he hits a catch).

MJ hits Benn on the foot, that might be a problem for them tomorrow.

and gets him out. 8/296 effectively.

Once again the condundrum that is MJ, bowls rubbish for most of the game yet now has 7 wickets and has injured their most dangerous bowler for tomorrow.

Stumps, WI lead by 296 with 2 wickets in hand. Gayle unbeaten all day on 155*

Will be a great day to watch tomorrow.

Question for you Random Aussie...when is Brett Lee expected to be back? will he be there for the Pak series?

ali_ed2006 said:
Question for you Random Aussie...when is Brett Lee expected to be back? will he be there for the Pak series?

Brett Lee won't play Test cricket again IMO. He definetly won't be back for the Pak series, just had elbow surgery and will be out for pretty much the whole summer. Would imagine he might be back for the T20 WC or maybe the IPL......his future lies in the shorter forms of the game not Test cricket.

Random Aussie said:
Brett Lee won't play Test cricket again IMO. He definetly won't be back for the Pak series, just had elbow surgery and will be out for pretty much the whole summer. Would imagine he might be back for the T20 WC or maybe the IPL......his future lies in the shorter forms of the game not Test cricket.
I want to go back to 2003-5(ish) where the game had so many established fast bowlers that made the whole of cricket exhilarating. Lee, Bond, Akhtar, Harmison, Flintoff, Fidel...When Bond was bowling in the first test he gave me goose bumps, fans don't get to experience that anymore. I wish the current crop of quickies the best o' luck, for cricket's sake eh?

Desi said:
I want to go back to 2003-5(ish) where the game had so many established fast bowlers that made the whole of cricket exhilarating. Lee, Bond, Akhtar, Harmison, Flintoff, Fidel...When Bond was bowling in the first test he gave me goose bumps, fans don't get to experience that anymore. I wish the current crop of quickies the best o' luck, for cricket's sake eh?

With the lure of IPL the speed merchants will become extinct. The game is now heading towards the age of 'intelligent' bowlers with fast medium pace. The only geunine hope of pace rests with Steyn, Parnell, Aamer, Broad, Fidel Edwards etc.

Desi said:

They play too much now unfortunately. But there will be new quickies coming along, they just won't last very long....

Luton Bad Boy said:
With the lure of IPL the speed merchants will become extinct. The game is now heading towards the age of 'intelligent' bowlers with fast medium pace. The only geunine hope of pace rests with Steyn, Parnell, Aamer, Broad, Fidel Edwards etc.
I think you're being a bit optimistic with that list of current speedsters. Aamer, Broad, and Parnell are pretty much that "fast-medium with intelligence" group. Maybe it's a preemptive decision on Aamer, but I don't think he style of bowling is suited to express anyway.

Steyn is remarkable, enough said, I just hope he lasts. What ever happened to Tait? Injured? I used to think Malinga had the potential to be consistently express but he barely cranks it up there these days. Although, Roach and MJ have me plenty excited. Apart from them, no current express prospects really come to mind. Fingers crossed though...

Last edited:
Random Aussie said:

Same goes for the entire W.I. line up does it not. They all have the capability to beat anyone, but so rarely do all of them play well in the same game.

Anyway, my money is on a draw. Can't see the West Indians bowling the Aussies out in a day. W.I. seem to be playing safe too, almost as if they would be satisfied with a draw, otherwise I guess you would have seen more of an effort from Gayle to get quick runs and declare earlier.

Have to say though great innings by Gayle, and I hope that he does this more often for his side. Probably hurt from the criticism from the last test, and all the calls for Darren Ganga to come in as captain.

I think W.I have enough runs already to atleast gain a Draw. I hope they are brave enough to go for a win.

Amjid Javed said:
I think W.I have enough runs already to atleast gain a Draw. I hope they are brave enough to go for a win.

The thing is, with Australia being Australia, captains don't know how many runs is enough. And to be honest, that is not a reflection of the current team, but its the reputation that the Aussies have built up over the years.

Other countries have to start treating Australia as any other good team, and not put them on a pedestal anymore - thats the only way they are going to be able to beat them.

Zahid87 said:
W.I. seem to be playing safe too, almost as if they would be satisfied with a draw, otherwise I guess you would have seen more of an effort from Gayle to get quick runs and declare earlier.

A draw would be a big achievement for the Windies, they have lost their last 9 test here in OZ and overall I think 14 of their last 16 against them.

Anyway the match is set up in such a way that they'll have to come out to look for wickets, Aussies will go for it for sure.

Zahid87 said:
The thing is, with Australia being Australia, captains don't know how many runs is enough. And to be honest, that is not a reflection of the current team, but its the reputation that the Aussies have built up over the years.

Other countries have to start treating Australia as any other good team, and not put them on a pedestal anymore - thats the only way they are going to be able to beat them.

I think W.I need to need to remember that this is not the Invincible Aussie team of a few years ago. They are beatable and are more prone to collapsing under pressure. W.I were expected to lose this series 3-0 so might as well go for broke. I Cant see them fairing to well in final test in perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back