Azhar Mahmood appointed as the Head Coach of the Pakistan cricket team for the home T20I series against New Zealand

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Former Pakistan fast bowler Azhar Mahmood has been named as the head coach of the Pakistan men’s cricket team for the upcoming five-match T20I series against New Zealand. The matches will be played in Rawalpindi and Lahore from 18-27 April.

Azhar represented Pakistan in 164 internationals, taking 162 wickets and scoring 2,421 runs. Azhar’s previous assignment with the Pakistan men’s cricket team was from 2016-2019 when he was the bowling coach.

Wahab Riaz has been appointed as the senior team manager, while Mohammad Yousuf will be the batting coach. Saeed Ajmal, who was the bowling coach on the last tours of Australia and New Zealand, will continue as the spin bowling coach.

Pakistan team player support personnel for New Zealand T20Is:

Wahab Riaz (senior team manager), Mansoor Rana (team manager), Azhar Mahmood (head coach), Mohammad Yousuf (batting coach), Saeed Ajmal (spin bowling coach), Aftab Khan (field coach), Cliffe Deacon (physiotherapist), Drikus Saiman (strength and conditioning coach), Talha Butt (analyst), Irtiza Komail (security manager), Raza Kitchlew (media and digital manager), Zain Maqsood (videographer), Dr Khurram Sarwar (doctor), and Mohammad Imran (masseur).

SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENT:

Meanwhile, the Pakistan cricket team for the New Zealand series will be announced on Tuesday, 9 April, at 12:45 in the media conference room at the Gaddafi Stadium.

What are your thoughts about this decision of PCB?

Last edited:
I thought Yousuf was head coach. That didn’t last long.

Oh no - Mr “Tight lines” and “right areas” is back

Let’s hope he’s learned some new phrases in the last couple of years

"Give him credit, he at least understands the importance of bowling with precision."

Azhar is fine as a bowling coach but he's not a head coach material. Just look at the difference between his tenure with IU and Mike Hesson's.

Wahab Riaz is somehow the annointed son of establishment in Pakistan cricket. Caretaker minister, selector and now "Senior" Team Manager and Selector. How come such a mediocre cricketer get so much power is insane!
Political backing.

He was in the recent winning IU camp, so must've definitely picked up something from Hesson.

Much better option than misbah or yousuf.

Wahab Riaz is somehow the annointed son of establishment in Pakistan cricket. Caretaker minister, selector and now "Senior" Team Manager and Selector. How come such a mediocre cricketer get so much power is insane!
Semi fifer against India.

Watson spell.

:riaz

With names like Misbah-ul-Haq & Mohammad Yousuf linked, the name of Waqar Younis hovering around as well, landing on Azhar Mahmood isn't a bad appointment, maybe he could have added Yasir Arafat to his coaching group.

That's one of the better local appointments we could've made. Azhar is highly respected in County Cricket having worked for many years for Surrey.

Although he's not been a head coach anywhere, he's worth a shot for a series.

Azhar as head coach might end up being a better long term option. He's worked in county cricket, he could solidify his coaching staff with some foreigners so there’s a good mix. Plus he can relate to the Pakistani players as well. Lets see how this goes..

With names like Misbah-ul-Haq & Mohammad Yousuf linked, the name of Waqar Younis hovering around as well, landing on Azhar Mahmood isn't a bad appointment, maybe he could have added Yasir Arafat to his coaching group.
He is only head coach for one series. Gary Kristen and Jason Gillipse have both been confirmed by sources to be the permanent coaches.

That Yousuf would have allowed Babar to bring back Dosti Yaari culture

Mahmood is a legit tough man apparently. The kind of guy the guys would take with them if they need to go for a brawl. Hopefully some of these idiots are kept in check by him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azhar is besti’s with Amir and Imad.

Think it’s a fair decision to have him in.
But is it just for one series?

A smart appointment for the home series while the permanent coaches are appointed.

Azhar Mahmood knows T20 cricket inside out.

New zealand did something similar in appointment a local coach for a series during shaheen s only series reign.

The worst cricketing minds in Pakistan. Thank God neither of them have been appointed as the Head Coach.

Azhar is a good choice and so is Yousuf as batting coach.

Anyone remember this one?

Who is Mansoor Rana? Anyone know his profile?

Azhar has a fantastic reputation at Surrey as a bowling coach — players such as Curran and Atkinson have openly credited him with their respective improvements.

Surrey are the “Real Madrid” of English cricket, by far the wealthiest county and could have their pick of coaches. Batty (head coach) and Stewart (director of cricket) are both very astute.

Not sure how he’ll do as head coach but he is so much better than several of the usual suspects that are mentioned on here.

A much more reasonable decision than Yousuf. A small positive.

and Waqar Younis
Yes. Recently I noticed Waqar Younis and Azhar Ali changing their tune a bit. Azhar Ali especially on the Pavilion was on Rizwan’s case. A few times he called him out for his slow strike rate as an opener, and everyone else being shifted around but Rizwan stayed opener throughout.

Sometimes the host wouldn’t let him speak and other times Misbah came up with his rotten excuses for Rizwan. But Azhar surprisingly made a face turn for me in this regard.

Azhar has been with Pakistan on and off since 2010, sometimes he is terminated and often he leaves due to other commitments during the last 10-12 years Pakistan team has changed coaching more frequently than players have changed their innerwear, pathetic some names who have worked with Pakistan team in recent past.

Muhammad Hafeez
Yasir Arafat
Umer Gul
Wahab Riaz
Muhammad Wasim
Misbah ul Haq
Waqar Younis
Saqlain Mushtaq
Muhammad Yousuf
Azhar Mehmood
Younis Khan
Inzimam ul Haq
Saeed Ajmal
------‐-‐-----------------
Sums up how seriously we take our cricket

Yes. Recently I noticed Waqar Younis and Azhar Ali changing their tune a bit. Azhar Ali especially on the Pavilion was on Rizwan’s case. A few times he called him out for his slow strike rate as an opener, and everyone else being shifted around but Rizwan stayed opener throughout.

Sometimes the host wouldn’t let him speak and other times Misbah came up with his rotten excuses for Rizwan. But Azhar surprisingly made a face turn for me in this regard.
I had this convo with @topspin a while back that azhar speaks the truth and eventually does thr right thing.

Good luck to him.

He is probably the best choice amongst local appointees.

PCB doing so much better in this regard than the much richer BCCI who are permanently stuck with losers like Dravid, Mhambrey and Rathour.

Probably the best choice considering the other names circulating were Yousaf ( batting coach though which makes no sense TBH) and razzaq etc. Azhar has worked with this team before and also has vast t20 experience. Good choice to be an interim coach until the permanent ones arrive.

AZHAR MAHMOOD TO LEAVE SURREY TO TAKE UP NEW ROLE WITH PAKISTAN

Surrey Assistant Coach Azhar Mahmood will leave the Club with immediate effect to join the Pakistan men’s national side. In the immediate future, Mahmood will be Interim Head Coach for the upcoming IT20 series against New Zealand.

Mahmood joined Surrey in 2022 and has played an important role in the development of the bowling unit at the Club. In that time, Surrey have won back-to-back County Championship titles, with the varied skillset of the bowlers helping to deliver that success.

Bowlers like Jamie Overton and Gus Atkinson have gone on to win England honours in that time as well as seeing young players like Tom Lawes develop under the guidance of Mahmood.

The former all-rounder has a long connection with Surrey, having played for the Three Feathers in two stints in the mid-2000s and 2010s. Mahmood was previously Assistant Coach for Pakistan from 2016-2019 as well as working in the Pakistan Super League and for the Oval Invincibles in The Hundred.

Alec Stewart, Director of Cricket at Surrey CCC, said: “This is a great opportunity for Azhar to work for his country and whilst we are very sorry to see him leave, we understand and respect the decision he has made. Azhar has had a big impact on the players in this team and we will continue to see the players benefit from the support he has given them.

“He will be greatly missed but he goes with the best wishes of everyone at the Club.”

Azhar Mahmood said: “Surrey has long been a second home for me and for my family, so it was a difficult decision to take but the opportunity to work for my country again was too good to turn down. I am excited to start this new challenge in my career and can’t wait to get started with the team.

“I would like to thank Alec and Gareth for their understanding when the opportunity came about and their support during my time with the Club. I am incredibly proud of what the Club has achieved in the last two and a half years and will always remain a Surrey fan.”

The Club is not looking to replace Mahmood at this point in time.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s head coach for the side’s upcoming five-match Twenty20 International series against New Zealand Azhar Mahmood will join the team’s camp on Monday

Source: Dawn News

Yousuf has a good cricketing brain and was a batting legend for Pakistan but when it comes to coaching, he has very little to transfer to the boys as he has not underwent any coaching training after his retirement and he is very stubborn and not ready to understand advanced and innovative methods of modern cricket. His thinking is still in 90s. Azhar is a good choice thou.

Azhar is an astute T20 operator whose been around the circuit as a player a long time as has various coaching experience globally .

He understands the T20 format and its requirements and is a good short term appointment.

Hopefully it will help Babar tactically to implement the correct strategies at the right time.

Azhar is an astute T20 operator whose been around the circuit as a player a long time as has various coaching experience globally .

He understands the T20 format and its requirements and is a good short term appointment.

Hopefully it will help Babar tactically to implement the correct strategies at the right time.
I hope he can bring a different approach this time. Things are not in favour of babar since he is made captain once again. People don't like him and will be criticized even more if he is not a changed individual from the last time. Azhar Mehmood should bring something new to this team.

I hope he can bring a different approach this time. Things are not in favour of babar since he is made captain once again. People don't like him and will be criticized even more if he is not a changed individual from the last time. Azhar Mehmood should bring something new to this team.
What would you suggest? As something new?

Attacking mindset
Apparently that’s how Babar likes to play and is playing cricket. So we are told.

I’ve suggested many things, but people will just laugh or purposely avoid those suggestions because they know it will sacrifice their favourites in the process

When I suggested you should make AA captain, it was because I thought it was important to make someone who puts the team first to lead from the front. First, you have to overcome this hurdle as a nation with this guy Babar as your captain. He is more upset at getting out cheaply in comparison to the hurt he should suffer after losing.

That will be the first step, a captain who cares about his team before himself. We can take it from there.

I wasn't in favour of Babar returning as skipper for a couple of reasons,

Firstly tactically and strategically he has made poor decisions and secondly if Shaheen was given the captaincy then he should of been given a longer rope then one series to put his stamp on the team.

If Shaheen was removed then on merit Rizwan deserved a shot but the dilemma is if he doesn't bat in the Top 3 is his place warranted down the order ahead of Azam or Haris and for me the answer is no.

If the Top 4 is Saim, Fakhar, Babar and usman then batting at 5, 6 and 7 requires power hitting skills which isn't Rizwan s game then its looking tough for Riz.

Back