Status
Not open for further replies.

natalia

T20I Debutant
Runs
December 26 - 31, 03.30 GMT

Mendis not to play the Tests.

Teams:

Bangladesh (probable) 1 Tamim Iqbal, 2 Junaid Siddique / Raqibul Hasan, 3 Imrul Kayes / Rajin Saleh, 4 Mohammad Ashraful (capt), 5 Mehrab Hossain jnr, 6 Shakib Al Hasan, 7 Mushfiqur Rahim (wk) ,8 Mashrafe Mortaza, 9 Enamul Haque jnr, 10 Shahadat Hossain, 11, Mahbubul Alam

Sri Lanka (probable) 1 Michael Vandort, 2 Malinda Warnapura, 3 Kumar Sangakkara/Chamara Kapugedera, 4 Mahela Jayawardene (capt), 5 Thilan Samaraweera, 6 Tillakaratne Dishan, 7 Prasanna Jayawardene (wk), 8 Chaminda Vaas, 9 Dammika Prasad, 10 Rangana Herath, 11 Muttiah Muraliatharan

I'll be watching out for Shakib Al Hasan to stand out with the ball.

lol, Sri Lanka are gonna pwn Bangladesh. Without Mendis it'll be the Murali show like it used to be:)

Sri Lanka were not convincing with the bat in the practice match. Shahadat Hossain removed both openers for ducks. We have to exploit this in the actual Test. But both our opening bowlers, Mashrafe and Shahadat are out of form. Neither are bowling anywhere near their full pace. Ashraful will be key with the bat, he has a decent record against the Lankans and he should give some tips to the junior players on how to handle Murali.

My XI: Tamim, Mehrab Jr., Raqibul, Zunaed, Ashraful*, Mushfiq+, Shakib, Mashrafe, Shahadat, MA Robin/Sajidul, Enamul Jr.

I predict a couple of 5 wicket innings for Murali and maybe a couple of two wickets in two balls.

Matic said:
I predict a couple of 5 wicket innings for Murali and maybe a couple of two wickets in two balls.
BCB has produced a green-pitch for the First Test. Murali wasn't happy at all and he made that clear to the media.

bdchamp20 said:
BCB has produced a green-pitch for the First Test. Murali wasn't happy at all and he made that clear to the media.

:)) I applaud Bangladesh, home teams should pull all the advantages they can in their direction.

Mendis out due to twisted ankle, Sangakkara potential doubt due to cut on right foot.
Yes I think Murali will be licking his lips at making further inroads into the 1000 test wkts mark.

Let's hope Ashraful can perform, otherwise he needs to be dropped.

So far SL has won 10 in a row against BD. It is going to be 11 in a row. They beat good teams also . But when it comes to minnow bashing they are better than any other team. They will not even give you a sniff. Zimbabwe troubled their batsmen. You would expect BD to trouble them.

Herath has always been a good understudy spinner for Sri Lanka and did bowl well in warm up game and could do same in this test.

Bangla will get there usual pasting!

I hope Bangladesh will put up some fight.If they can take the game upto fifth day,I will be happy.

bdchamp20 said:
Sri Lanka were not convincing with the bat in the practice match. Shahadat Hossain removed both openers for ducks. We have to exploit this in the actual Test. But both our opening bowlers, Mashrafe and Shahadat are out of form. Neither are bowling anywhere near their full pace. Ashraful will be key with the bat, he has a decent record against the Lankans and he should give some tips to the junior players on how to handle Murali.

My XI: Tamim, Mehrab Jr., Raqibul, Zunaed, Ashraful*, Mushfiq+, Shakib, Mashrafe, Shahadat, MA Robin/Sajidul, Enamul Jr.

That was because of the bad condition, don't forget your players were all out for 88, so certainly bad conditions.

Jamal said:
lol, Sri Lanka are gonna pwn Bangladesh. Without Mendis it'll be the Murali show like it used to be:)

Nop, they got Herath, 6 wickets in the practice match.

If Sangakara is playing and if he fails in both innings (which he wont) then Mohammad Yousuf might climbto 2nd spot in Test Ranking InsAllah

minhasuz said:
If Sangakara is playing and if he fails in both innings (which he wont) then Mohammad Yousuf might climbto 2nd spot in Test Ranking InsAllah
Lol love the way you've strung Pakistan into this somehow. I wish all the best to Bangladesh, hopefully they will beat Sri Lanka so when the Lankans come to Pakistan their morale will be low.
I predict B'desh to whitewash Sri Lanka! (I wish)

buddhika_s said:
That was because of the bad condition, don't forget your players were all out for 88, so certainly bad conditions.

Nop, they got Herath, 6 wickets in the practice match.
We fielded a third-class team in that match. Some of the players were 17-18 and still playing for the U-19 team, there was a player who had not played a single first-class match before. Domestic performers like Subashis Roy, Marshall Ayub, Mahmudullah should've played in that match but didn't as their local teams did not release them as they wanted them to play in the last round of the NCL.

I am guessing Chaminda Vass will return to form against us. Conditions will be foggy and a green pitch has been prepared. Dammika Prasad looked impressive against India, I think he will destroy our line-up. And Murali as always will be a threat.

bdchamp20 said:
We fielded a third-class team in that match. Some of the players were 17-18 and still playing for the U-19 team, there was a player who had not played a single first-class match before. Domestic performers like Subashis Roy, Marshall Ayub, Mahmudullah should've played in that match but didn't as their local teams did not release them as they wanted them to play in the last round of the NCL.

I am guessing Chaminda Vass will return to form against us. Conditions will be foggy and a green pitch has been prepared. Dammika Prasad looked impressive against India, I think he will destroy our line-up. And Murali as always will be a threat.

Have faith. Maybe Murali will get injured.

Won't matter Bangladesh batsmen as always will happily hand their wickets to the Sri Lankan team.

bdchamp20 said:

Still 88 is not acceptable in any level.

Lodhiz said:
Lol love the way you've strung Pakistan into this somehow. I wish all the best to Bangladesh, hopefully they will beat Sri Lanka so when the Lankans come to Pakistan their morale will be low.
I predict B'desh to whitewash Sri Lanka! (I wish)
InshAllah or if not whitewash then atleast one match. Sri Lanka underestimated Zimbabwe, where SL whitewashed Zimbabwe but it was a hard fight for them

From cricinfo commentary
"Mendis is recovered from the injury and is on the way.... "

Khabri420 said:
thats good news for bangladesh...
its not an ODI that will be fogged out....

......actually i do remember a test match at Faisalabad being totally fogged out and the players were forced to watch movies( i know this because they( :moyo and Saqi) use to buy the movies right in front of me).

PlanetPakistan said:
actually it seemed that Yousuf was a bit of an expert on films. :)
loll yee at that time but now MashAllah he seems to be very religious. I met him twice and most of the time he was talking about Islam to me and/or other people around me

Last edited:
minhasuz said:
loll yee at that time but now MashAllah he seems to be very religious. I met him twice and most of the time he was talking about Islam to me and/or other people around me

Awesome, when did you meet him minhasuz?

^^yaar I actually met him twice first one was June 23rd, 2007(this time I got autograph on piece of paper and it says to Ali [me] Namaz Khahim Karay (Pray Namaz) and second one was September 10th, 2008 where I also met Wahab Riaz and Nasir Jamshed this was at NCA in Lahore and I got all of these player sign on a bat

minhasuz said:
^^yaar I actually met him twice first one was June 23rd, 2007(this time I got autograph on piece of paper and it says to Ali [me] Namaz Khahim Karay (Pray Namaz) and second one was September 10th, 2008 where I also met Wahab Riaz and Nasir Jamshed this was at NCA in Lahore and I got all of these player sign on a bat

Aww nice. I wish I can meet him one day, would like to know his views on religion, why he changed etc.

PlanetPakistan said:
its not an ODI that will be fogged out....

......actually i do remember a test match at Faisalabad being totally fogged out and the players were forced to watch movies( i know this because they( :moyo and Saqi) use to buy the movies right in front of me).

that wasn't my point. The longer they don't play the longer they stretch this test before an expected collapse. :inzi

Jamal said:
Aww nice. I wish I can meet him one day, would like to know his views on religion, why he changed etc.
As Islamic point of view it was good that he changed, Allah had been rewarding him the way runs used to flow off his bat and the 30 year old record which was not broken by great players like Pointing, Tendulkar and many others and it was broken by :moyo after he became Muslim MashAllah. After the world we would see him in Jannat (Heaven) because he converted to Islam and kept on practising. If you understand urdu then listen to these videos link so you will understand how he changed
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCp_15TQlZM#
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn5RwEyzQGQ&feature=related#
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4SQDkXCIeY&feature=related

Matic said:
:)) I applaud Bangladesh, home teams should pull all the advantages they can in their direction.

Hah, but Pakistan never do that, such a strong pace attack but still never prepare those green and juicy wickets

Ashraful: "we will play our best"

Translation: We will try to 'extend' the game to 4 days (with a bit help of bad weather conditions.

For the first time I am with the Indians. Bucknor should have been sent to retirement home. In two consecutive overs he did not give two plumb lbw. It would have been 2/2 as Robin hit both the openers. We are really unlucky with the umpire as Vandoort is playing his third innings as also Nigel long already gave him benefit of doubt once

Dhonian said:
Ashraful: "we will play our best"

Translation: We will try to 'extend' the game to 4 days (with a bit help of bad weather conditions.

no, by that he means he won't try to hit shots in his first few balls :p

6.6 Mashrafe Mortaza to Warnapura, 2 runs, dropped! a difficult chance though as Warnapura with his feet stuck looks to cut it away but manages only an outside edge which is in front of Rahim's face. He gets the gloves to cover his face but the ball hits him on the face on the way to fine leg for a couple

pretty unfortunate for the keeper.

at last a wicket. But this time batsman unlucky. Why we only get incompetant umpires like Long, Bucknor, Asoka. We never get Asad, Toefl and even Harper

139 for 4 after 48 overs as well, so not exactly a fluent innings thus far.

It's strange because, the Sri Lankan batsman love to pummel Bangladesh. I think all of their batsman average in the high 70's and 80's against Bangladesh -- especially Kumar. Well done Bangladesh.

And yet again, Bangladesh rely too heavily on Shakib to take a wicket and he does - 2 of them.

natalia said:
And yet again, Bangladesh rely too heavily on Shakib to take a wicket and he does - 2 of them.
actually Mahbubul (Robin) and Mashrafi were denied by the umpires more than twice (Five plumb LBW were denied againest Vandoort and Warnapura and one bogus was given). You need luck sometime ad Sakib was lucky as Sanga throws his wicket after consistent pressure of scoring runs

Good support from this Mahbubul Alam dude, giving away only 23 runs from his 13 overs. It's important to hold one end up as wickets will often fall from the other end.

Atleast 5/6 100% lbw not given today for the favour of Bangladesh.If umpires consistent with their decision in whole game I don't mind.But I have a doubt ......I don't know why ICC still keep Buckor in test matches,he is not fit for even in FC match.

Complaining about the umpiring is not much use when you can't win a match.

Even if Bangladesh got all the decisions their way they would still lose.

Random Aussie said:

Not really, SL would be about 7 down now.
But then again, you're right. If SL gets bundled up for 200, Bangladesh will get bundled up for 20.

This Shakib must be a class act.
has been very consistently picking up wickets, at home as well as away. must be the best cricketer of BD in 2008 by miles.can bat too.some england counties shud pick him up. he would be even better after the stint.

natalia said:
But then again, you're right. If SL gets bundled up for 200, Bangladesh will get bundled up for 20.

Yep. Bangladesh need a Ganguly or Ranatunga to come along and start giving it back to the opposition. At the moment no matter what position they are in a match they are favourites to lose.

Rajan said:
This Shakib must be a class act.
has been very consistently picking up wickets, at home as well as away. must be the best cricketer of BD in 2008 by miles.can bat too.some england counties shud pick him up. he would be even better after the stint.

He got Jayawardene with a beautiful delivery!

SL slip further. 171/6, Shahadat strikes.
P Jayawardene gone.

Poor performance by the bat from SL, surprisingly good performance from Bangladesh!

Bangladesh looking solid! With Sri Lanka selecting a weaker bowling attack, Bangladesh's batsmen MUST jump on this chance and not succumb old habits of collapsing.

Bangladesh need to wrap up Sri Lanka's innings before 220, if not 240 maximum.

Light has been offered and batsmen gladly take it.
It's Stumps on Day 1.
Sri Lanka end at a mediocre position of 172/6.

Rajan said:
Is Shadat 140k+ bowler?
He is 135-40 k bowler. But today in his first spell he bowled consistently over 140k. In one over he bowled 3 consecutive 145+ balls to Jaya.

Random Aussie said:

doesn't matter bd lost, but bad decision is concerned here. you wouldn't say that if it was Aus vs bd and all the wrong decision went against Aussies despite you know Aussies will win the game, would you?

Random Aussie said:

why are you talking rabbish?have you seen the match Today?here we are not talking about winning or losing.If this things would have happened against Australia or India,both team called for Bucknor's head.

i liked shakibfrom the previous toure ( new zealand ) that was the first time I saw himma dn i said to my dad he's a great all rounder for bangladesh my da said he can't bowl properly, he wil get smacked in front of the sri lankans so this is the result (Y) great bowler beutiful delivery to jayawdene

Rajan said:
Is Shadat 140k+ bowler?
He certainly is. He hit 145 against India in 2007. He was in fine form back then. He troubled the Indian batsmen, including Dravid and Tendulkar with his pace and swing. But for the past couple of series' he has declined. He was pathetic in South Africa bowling in the mid-120s with his highest being around 130. He was bowling way too many short balls and he got thrashed around the park.

The BCB must realise that he isn't an ODI bowler. He is playing too many matches and exhaustion is the reason for his decline. They should play him in Tests only and hopefully when he has enough rest and is fully fit he can give performances like this consistently.

Last edited:
natalia said:
Lol, no not really. In our last home series against NZ, in the Dhaka Test we took a lead. In the home series against SA in the Dhaka Test we also took a lead. It's the second innings where we struggle. And Jayawardene has realised that and that's why he decided to bat first.

Sheikh said:
Good support from this Mahbubul Alam dude, giving away only 23 runs from his 13 overs. It's important to hold one end up as wickets will often fall from the other end.
He should've had 2 wickets to his name as well.

Random Aussie said:

This is exactly the mentality that the ICC has. They want to show their discipline at the expense of the smaller teams. They banned Razzak last month for chucking while they are still allowing Murali to bowl although everyone in their mind knows he is a chucker. Harbhajan's action is questionable but he has never had to answer anyone.

If these decisions had gone against India or Australia then the media would've bombarded the umpire with abuse. The boards would've demanded his resignation. And his life would've been hell. But it's fine when it's done to Bangladesh. It is not win-lose question. That is everything that is wrong with the ICC. One of the most disorganised sporting bodies in International Sport. Even the fishing union is more credible than ICC.

By the way mods, the match ends on the 31st not the 30th. It is a 6-day match due to a rest day on the 29th.

Sri lanka struggling at 172/6 and its not a shock there batting overall is pretty Brittle. Bangla need to run through the Sri Lankan tail and then Bat well for once. Despite a good 1st day i cant see Bangla lasting the pace in this game.

Men in hats frustrate

There was heavy fog; the wicket was two-paced; there was variable bounce; the noises from outside were too loud; the Christmas meal was not good enough.

Any of the above could be an excuse but as the saying goes, excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure.

And it was just a failure for the two ICC Elite Panel umpires to give any good decisions on the first day of the first Test between mighty Sri Lanka and hosts Bangladesh.

Less said about Steve Bucknor the better. He denied every bowler from his end and his refusals bordered on being irritable. It did not surprise many when he judged Michael Vandort not out off Shakib Al Hasan in the 32nd over.

An arm ball on the middle stump that hit the tall Vandort on the front foot -- it looked a tad high in the replay but from the unparalleled vantage point of Bucknor, there could have been no doubts or excuses.

Maybe umpiring is his forte but isn't he the guy who was in the middle of the Sydney debacle in January? Wasn't he in the middle when the 2007 World Cup final was reduced to a farce?

Then you have Nigel Llong. Young, inexperienced and fresh as a daisy but it was his decision that began a poor day for the two men in the middle. In the very first over, Mashrafe Bin Mortaza wrapped Vandort on the pads and looked gone but the Englishman's decision took everyone by surprise.

Was it any better than club-level umpiring? One must look at domestic matches in Bangladesh to be a judge and when he does take a closer look, it would be a huge surprise that even our best guy in the job is not even close to the ICC Elite Panel.

The Daily Star

Last edited:
bdchamp, After further analysis, I am willing to declare that Shakib ul Hasan is indeed a bright spot for Bangladesh at home. He looks a class act, I misjudged him in earlier threads. Lets just see how he does overseas.

Jamal said:
bdchamp, After further analysis, I am willing to declare that Shakib ul Hasan is indeed a bright spot for Bangladesh at home. He looks a class act, I misjudged him in earlier threads. Lets just see how he does overseas.
So the 11 wickets he picked up @ 20 against SA in SA were not good enough for you.

Forgive me bdchamp. =[ Shakib should be nurtured, could be one of the best all rounders in the world in the future. Gotta have a supportive captain though, Ashraful really needs to be given time off if he doesnt score again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back