Centuries by Rohit Sharma (103) and Shubman Gill (110) take India to 473/8 at Stumps on Day 2 of the 5th Test, lead England by 255 runs

Jadeja is sometimes very annoying batsman. He think to much about it rather than make it simple
I don't mind his stodginess too much tbh. We have enough dashers. I just with he won't premeditate a defensive shot every ball.

This stadium DJ is really good - Bon Jovi, Abba, ACDC. Classic tunes.
Hopefuly the fad catches on.....i guess it would only add to the atmosphere...if the crowd is jiving to tunes....
off course, it also depends on how the match is placed and how well the home side is faring.....
i don't think the crowd would warm up too much to 'mamma mia, here we go again' if we are 30/5 or the opposition is 250/2 :)

Hopefuly the fad catches on.....i guess it would only add to the atmosphere...if the crowd is jiving to tunes....
off course, it also depends on how the match is placed and how well the home side is faring.....
i don't think the crowd would warm up too much to 'mamma mia, here we go again' if we are 30/5 or the opposition is 250/2 :)

Chinnaswamy and Wankhede often have good DJ's . Not sure about other places.

Come to think of it, the DJ just played "Livin on a Prayer". Not sure if trolling England or not.

We have crossed the psychological barrier of 192 runs as lead

Another 50 runs and India have pretty much won this. However, I hope they score much more.

Can't believe the -ve trolling a guy like Jadeja is getting on this forum. Most teams would give their right hands to have him i their team.
He is in the top tthree allrounders going around - wtith stokes, holder, green, marsh, jamieson, hasaranga, jamal et all.
just two tests back he rescued us with that wonderful century and all of a sudden - he has become 'selfish' 'pathetic' and what all...geez guys - he is one of india's goat all time allrounders....u gotta give more respect that this pathetic trolling....jeewhiz...

time to swing for the tall timber, jassi knows only leg side hitting, where as brother siraj knows only to back away to leg side and hit on the off side...this will be entertaining - just go gung ho and swing the bat guys
hope we get a lead of 250 +

Don't see how England will go beyond 50 overs with the ball turning an bouncing this way. This game will be done by Tea tomorrow at the most. Could be even lunch if England start thinking about the fish and chips from their favourite corner shops and which movies they're going to watch on the flight home.

I am surprised India hasn't scored a 1000 runs in this innings. How else are they going to make biopics on Jaiswals and jurels ? 😃

India have got enough on board. Just hit few boundaries and move ahead to next innings. Tailenders don't have much to show with bat.

Disappointed at the way Dhruv jurel got out. thsi was his chance to show his hunger and really stamp his class.
I thought as a batsman, he has an organized defense, a good front foot push, stays low to cut the ball or glance it and plays late which is the hallmark of all good batsman.
he has to develop the patience and think of playing shots along the ground more than the fancy silly dikky shots that brought his downfall. should'nt waste his chance and talent like this when he knows Rishabh will be coming along very soon and ther is is Ishan somewhere on the horizon

Ashwin seems to be on a downward curve and won't be surprised if he retires soon. Kuldeep and Jadeja will be spinners for home tests going forward.

Ashwin - 21 wickets, Avg 27
Jadeja - 18 wickets, Avg 25
Kuldeep - 17 wickets, Avg 20

For someone with only 10 FC wickets before this series Bashir has bowled superbly
I like his spirit. he does not give up. keeps runing in to bowl. i feel he is constantly thinking to improve his game. with a bit more body movment at time of delivery, and with more experience am sure he can be a good prospect for eng. his height means he does not have to flight it too much....my punt is him being a handful on SAF or Aus conditions.

Kuldeep showing his new found batting prowess.

For someone with only 10 FC wickets before this series Bashir has bowled superbly
Very impressed by Shoaib. The only spinner in Pakistan/of Pakistani descent who looks Test class.

PCB should try to steal him somehow.

The two spinners have given away almost 300 runs between them this inning.

The problem with Eng. is that the ECB does not have long term plan for spinners. They just drive to the closest county they are in and pick up couple of spinners that are available that day and take them to tour India. Once the tour is done, they drop them off where they found them. Not heard from after that.

They need to give Bashir and Hartley a lot of exposure. Have a long term development plan. Hopefully, they will learn something from this tour.

Kuldeep has to be one of the most improved batsmen going around in world cricket today. Am not saying he is some world beater, but from where he was, to where he is....wow good fight and improvement

Kuldeep has to be one of the most improved batsmen going around in world cricket today. Am not saying he is some world beater, but from where he was, to where he is....wow good fight and improvement
along with Jassi and shami....these two guys who has really put their head down and improved their batting by leaps and bounds

So nice to watch these two defend and put a price on their wickets. It would have been so much easier to go ariel and get all out quicker.

The two spinners have given away almost 300 runs between them this inning.

The problem with Eng. is that the ECB does not have long term plan for spinners. They just drive to the closest county they are in and pick up couple of spinners that are available that day and take them to tour India. Once the tour is done, they drop them off where they found them. Not heard from after that.

They need to give Bashir and Hartley a lot of exposure. Have a long term development plan. Hopefully, they will learn something from this tour.

Yeah long term their spinners don't seem to develop at all.

Dawson, Ali and Rashid toured in 16/17, Bess and Leach toured last time, now Bashir and Hartley.

No continuity whatsoever. The Aussies, on the other hand, consistently picked Lyon and he got better and better every time he toured Asia.

I'm sure they'll invest in Todd Murphy/Kuhmemann and they'll get better too.

So nice to watch these two defend and put a price on their wickets. It would have been so much easier to go ariel and get all out quicker.
Hope people like Jurel, Jaiswal, Sarfaraz who threw their wickets away learn something from these 2.

I'm worried if what we're doing to these poor Englanders is strictly legal. There must be some law against making people cry the way we've done to them. Just when they think they've caused a collapse and would be limbering up for a short stint at bat today, numbers 9 and 10 stitch together a 33 run, 13 over (and counting) partnership. The 4 bowlers must be dreading having to start up again tomorrow after a 100+ over slog. Stokes has got to throw the kitchen sink at this surely. Maybe bring himself on again?

Can Mark Wood hit a century? That's a million dollar question right now.

This is humiliating for England. Who's this Wood? Why he is playing international cricket?

Can't get out Bumrah. Kuldeep is giving belt treatment to these English bowlers

More than the runs these two guys added, its the nuisance value and the amount of tiredness they are adding onto the eng players.
i wissh our tail enders showed this fire in so many test matches of yore , imagine how many matches results would have been different

Poor Anderson will have to crank his aged limbs up again tomorrow by the likes of it. Bashir and Hartley have already bowled 80+ overs between them. Never before in their lives I would assume.

There have to be some limits to cruelty! I propose the English fans bring out placards protesting against sadism towards the aged tomorrow.

England must be completely demoralized now if not already.

Their failure to get even these 2 out must be painful.

They got a sniff. THen there was another partnership. THen they got another sniff. NOw another partnership. WHat is worse it is no.9 and no.10. Had to field the entire day. With 3 day to go and 255 behind and they need atleast 150 to defend. THey will required 405 against INdian bowling assuming India doesn't add anymore runs.

At this point, I am cheering bazball so they conjure up an innings for the ages setting India 200 on the last day

They got a sniff. THen there was another partnership. THen they got another sniff. NOw another partnership. WHat is worse it is no.9 and no.10. Had to field the entire day. With 3 day to go and 255 behind and they need atleast 150 to defend. THey will required 405 against INdian bowling assuming India doesn't add anymore runs.
Not enough. You need to make India chase at least 200 to have a chance. India can chase anything less than 200

I hope once India rolls the pitch in the morning , it stays out for another hour. Want to see Kuly and Jassi bat for an hour and flatten the bowlers a bit more.

Ollie Pope, Duckett and Root to reprise their centuries in an act of improbable defiance in their final stand of the series?

The ball was pitched up; it wasn't short enough for that shot. Goes for it and pays the price. I mean you are playing the first ball after tea. Give yourself a little sighter. Don Bradman said to me 'Every ball that I face, even if I am on 200, I think I am on 0.' And here is [Sarfaraz] is… playing such a shot first ball of the session," Gavaskar remarked on air.

Well said Sunny. As they say, when you are in good form, make most of it as you don't know when your form deserts you.

Poor Anderson will have to crank his aged limbs up again tomorrow by the likes of it. Bashir and Hartley have already bowled 80+ overs between them. Never before in their lives I would assume.

There have to be some limits to cruelty! I propose the English fans bring out placards protesting against sadism towards the aged tomorrow.
I said this before. India looks like they were sleeping in thr first test. They were mucking around cause they had a huge led. Slipped on a banana peel.

Then England woke up the beasts. Now they are getting slaughtered. Like a sacrificial lamb. Get roasted on a spitfire.

Really it should be 5 0. Most likely 4- 1 now.

I dont think this series was even remotely close. India is also missing like 4 main players.

In some parts of the match you could say England were running them close but India never were in any danger. Even first test should have been won. Pope got dropped 2 3 times.

India vs England: Ben Stokes bowling return cannot prevent hosts building huge lead

Ben Stokes took a wicket with his first competitive delivery for eight months but could not prevent England sliding towards defeat by India on the second day of the fifth Test in Dharamsala.

Captain Stokes, bowling for the first time since July after surgery on his left knee, came on in the second over after lunch and immediately disturbed opposite number Rohit Sharma's off stump.

By then, Rohit and Shubman Gill had a gone long way towards batting England out of the game, each making centuries as India piled on the runs in the morning session.

Rohit, who was dropped by Zak Crawley, made 103 and Gill 110 in a second-wicket partnership of 171.

Sarfaraz Khan and debutant Devdutt Padikkal both made half-centuries to push India's lead towards 200, but England fought back well in the evening session.

Spinners Shoaib Bashir and Tom Hartley engineered an India slump of five wickets for 52 runs before Kuldeep Yadav and Jasprit Bumrah took the hosts to 473-8, leading by 255.

It is a prime position from which India can earn a huge victory and end the series as 4-1 winners.

This had all the makings of a hard slog for England, and there certainly times when Rohit and Gill were together that it looked like being their most hopeless day at the end of a long tour.

No doubt India have batted themselves into a position where they could win by a massive margin, possibly as early as Saturday. The home side took every opportunity to attack England's weary bowlers and were helped by some woeful boundary fielding.

In Stokes, England have the ultimate competitor and a long-teased return to bowling became a reality as he warmed up during the lunch break.

The captain barely celebrated when he produced the beauty to Rohit, but England were pumped when James Anderson bowled Gill in the next over to move to 699 Test wickets. At that stage, India were three down with a lead of 68 and England had a glimpse.

Sarfaraz and Padikkal snatched it away with a fourth-wicket stand of 97, and England could have been steamrollered in the glorious evening sunshine had it not been for the perseverance of their spinners and some gifts from the Indians.

By the end, though, England were left facing a battle just to make India bat again.

India took control on day one, bowling England out for 218 and moving to 135-1 in response. When Rohit and Gill resumed the following morning, they made their intentions clear - Rohit hit Bashir for six in the third over, Gill did the same to Anderson in the fourth.

Rohit had 68 when he was missed by Crawley. Standing at leg slip, Crawley barely got a hand on one that Rohit turned off his hip from Bashir.

Gill was troubled by a pacey spell from Mark Wood, but kept attacking Bashir with two more sixes. Rohit reached his 12th Test hundred and Gill his fourth as 129 runs were scored in the morning session.

The Stokes-inspired double strike briefly checked India's progress before Sarfaraz kicked into gear. He had only nine off 30 balls, but then raced to 50 from 55. At the other end, left-hander Padikkal played flowing strokes through the off side.

Sarfaraz was out for 56 and Padikkal for 65, both to Bashir just after tea. Scoring slowed almost to a standstill and at one stage Dhruv Jurel, Ravindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin were out for the addition of only one run.

Kuldeep and Bumrah stopped the rot. Their runs were a bonus, but their real focus will be bowling India towards victory on day three.

This was likely one last full day in the dirt for England. At times the punishment dished out by the India batters was incongruous with the surrounding beauty of the Himalayan mountains.

England were powerless as Rohit and Gill scored freely in the morning. Wood went at more than six an over, Anderson's slow crawl towards 700 Test wickets advanced just one and the eight sixes Bashir was flogged for tied the record for an England bowler in a single Test innings.

But Stokes' bowling return, his first spell for 251 days, was pure theatre. The delivery that got Rohit nipped away to take the top of off stump, ending a run of 28 consecutive wickets taken by spinners going back to the fourth Test.

Bashir had figures of 1-111 from his first 23 overs, yet was entrusted with the second new ball and repaid Stokes' faith. Sarfaraz chopped to slip, Padikkal played around one to be bowled and Jurel could not resist lofting to long-on.

Hartley dovetailed nicely from the other end. Jadeja was pinned on the back foot and Ashwin was bowled as three wickets fell in the space of nine balls.

Bashir could have had a fifth right before the close. Kuldeep swept into his boot, gully Stokes dived in front of slip Joe Root, but could not cling on.

India batter Shubman Gill on TNT Sports: "I want to make big scores every time but I missed out on a big one today, I didn't play properly to the ball I got out to."

England spin coach Jeetan Patel on TNT: "To finish the day with them eight down, that's a heck of an effort. There are a lot of tired guys in there and rightly so because they have put in such a shift."

Former England spinner Phil Tufnell: "It has been a couple of great days for India. There is a mountain for England to climb. They did it in the first Test and that is what they've got to keep in the back of their mind. They can come back into it. The pitch is still playing alright."

Former England bowler Steven Finn on TNT: "England's spinners are learning on the job and they've done brilliantly. I don't think this can be misconstrued that they've been sub-par because they haven't."

India vs England: Ben Stokes bowling return cannot prevent hosts building huge lead

Ben Stokes took a wicket with his first competitive delivery for eight months but could not prevent England sliding towards defeat by India on the second day of the fifth Test in Dharamsala.

Captain Stokes, bowling for the first time since July after surgery on his left knee, came on in the second over after lunch and immediately disturbed opposite number Rohit Sharma's off stump.

By then, Rohit and Shubman Gill had a gone long way towards batting England out of the game, each making centuries as India piled on the runs in the morning session.

Rohit, who was dropped by Zak Crawley, made 103 and Gill 110 in a second-wicket partnership of 171.

Sarfaraz Khan and debutant Devdutt Padikkal both made half-centuries to push India's lead towards 200, but England fought back well in the evening session.

Spinners Shoaib Bashir and Tom Hartley engineered an India slump of five wickets for 52 runs before Kuldeep Yadav and Jasprit Bumrah took the hosts to 473-8, leading by 255.

It is a prime position from which India can earn a huge victory and end the series as 4-1 winners.

This had all the makings of a hard slog for England, and there certainly times when Rohit and Gill were together that it looked like being their most hopeless day at the end of a long tour.

No doubt India have batted themselves into a position where they could win by a massive margin, possibly as early as Saturday. The home side took every opportunity to attack England's weary bowlers and were helped by some woeful boundary fielding.

In Stokes, England have the ultimate competitor and a long-teased return to bowling became a reality as he warmed up during the lunch break.

The captain barely celebrated when he produced the beauty to Rohit, but England were pumped when James Anderson bowled Gill in the next over to move to 699 Test wickets. At that stage, India were three down with a lead of 68 and England had a glimpse.

Sarfaraz and Padikkal snatched it away with a fourth-wicket stand of 97, and England could have been steamrollered in the glorious evening sunshine had it not been for the perseverance of their spinners and some gifts from the Indians.

By the end, though, England were left facing a battle just to make India bat again.

India took control on day one, bowling England out for 218 and moving to 135-1 in response. When Rohit and Gill resumed the following morning, they made their intentions clear - Rohit hit Bashir for six in the third over, Gill did the same to Anderson in the fourth.

Rohit had 68 when he was missed by Crawley. Standing at leg slip, Crawley barely got a hand on one that Rohit turned off his hip from Bashir.

Gill was troubled by a pacey spell from Mark Wood, but kept attacking Bashir with two more sixes. Rohit reached his 12th Test hundred and Gill his fourth as 129 runs were scored in the morning session.

The Stokes-inspired double strike briefly checked India's progress before Sarfaraz kicked into gear. He had only nine off 30 balls, but then raced to 50 from 55. At the other end, left-hander Padikkal played flowing strokes through the off side.

Sarfaraz was out for 56 and Padikkal for 65, both to Bashir just after tea. Scoring slowed almost to a standstill and at one stage Dhruv Jurel, Ravindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin were out for the addition of only one run.

Kuldeep and Bumrah stopped the rot. Their runs were a bonus, but their real focus will be bowling India towards victory on day three.

This was likely one last full day in the dirt for England. At times the punishment dished out by the India batters was incongruous with the surrounding beauty of the Himalayan mountains.

England were powerless as Rohit and Gill scored freely in the morning. Wood went at more than six an over, Anderson's slow crawl towards 700 Test wickets advanced just one and the eight sixes Bashir was flogged for tied the record for an England bowler in a single Test innings.

But Stokes' bowling return, his first spell for 251 days, was pure theatre. The delivery that got Rohit nipped away to take the top of off stump, ending a run of 28 consecutive wickets taken by spinners going back to the fourth Test.

Bashir had figures of 1-111 from his first 23 overs, yet was entrusted with the second new ball and repaid Stokes' faith. Sarfaraz chopped to slip, Padikkal played around one to be bowled and Jurel could not resist lofting to long-on.

Hartley dovetailed nicely from the other end. Jadeja was pinned on the back foot and Ashwin was bowled as three wickets fell in the space of nine balls.

Bashir could have had a fifth right before the close. Kuldeep swept into his boot, gully Stokes dived in front of slip Joe Root, but could not cling on.

India batter Shubman Gill on TNT Sports: "I want to make big scores every time but I missed out on a big one today, I didn't play properly to the ball I got out to."

England spin coach Jeetan Patel on TNT: "To finish the day with them eight down, that's a heck of an effort. There are a lot of tired guys in there and rightly so because they have put in such a shift."

Former England spinner Phil Tufnell: "It has been a couple of great days for India. There is a mountain for England to climb. They did it in the first Test and that is what they've got to keep in the back of their mind. They can come back into it. The pitch is still playing alright."

Former England bowler Steven Finn on TNT: "England's spinners are learning on the job and they've done brilliantly. I don't think this can be misconstrued that they've been sub-par because they haven't."

Stokes took one wicket. Bashir bowled like a donkey for 45 overs and got 4 wickets. Of course headline is about Stokes and not about Bashir. English media’s hype of Stokes is nauseating.

just two tests back he rescued us with that wonderful century and all of a sudden - he has become 'selfish' '
Even in that game he's selfish (well most of the time his batting is very selfish, ran out Sarfaraz for his century...

(btw didn't know you were a malayali)

Even in that game he's selfish (well most of the time his batting is very selfish, ran out Sarfaraz for his century...

(btw didn't know you were a malayali)

He is selfish but a valuable player in the team in all conditions.

He is like your Imran, Kapil, Botham level all rounder in home conditions ( great with bowl and good with bat) and Cairns/Flintoff level all rounder in overseas conditions ( good with bat and good with bowl).

Back