England (208/6) defeat Australia (200/9) by 8 runs to win the 1st T20I

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The old enemies face off again on Sunday night in Perth!

The three-match series is the perfect T20 World Cup preparation for these sides, both of whom will fancy their chances of taking home the silverware.

Australia are ranked sixth in the ICC rankings and won the last edition of the tournament, while England are ranked second and crashed out in the semi-finals of last year's Cup at the hands of New Zealand.

- October 9: First T20I, Perth, 7:10pm AEDT

- October 12: Second T20I, Canberra, 7:10pm AEDT

- October 14: Third T20I, Canberra, 7:10pm AEDT

How are the Aussies shaping up?

With only three T20 Internationals (and an unofficial warm-up against India) before they defend their title, world champions Australia appear to still be working out what their best line-up is to take into the tournament.

Captain Aaron Finch was a surprise demotion to No.4 in the first match against the West Indies as Cameron Green held his spot as opener.

However Green is not in the 15-player World Cup squad, meaning can't play at the tournament unless there is an injury, so a standout performance from the young allrounder in this series would be a bittersweet moment for the selectors.

"We're going to keep tinkering with things just to make sure we've got all bases covered heading into the World Cup," Finch said after his player-of-the-match performance in the first T20I against the West Indies.

The Aussies have effectively named two different squads for this series, one for the Perth leg and one for the Canberra leg.

Five World Cup winners in Adam Zampa, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Mitch Starc and Glenn Maxwell won't make the flight across the country to Perth and will instead rejoin the Australians when they return to the east coast for the Canberra matches.

It provides an opportunity for Kane Richardson and Ashton Agar, both of whom were 'managed' from the West Indies series, to impress as both have been starved of chances in the Australia XI of late.

Marcus Stoinis is expected to come back into the side as a side strain has robbed him of much-needed game time over the last few months. Mitch Marsh gets a chance to remind fans of his ability after being rested for the second T20I against the Windies on Friday.

Mitchell Swepson and Nathan Ellis will also be on hand in case they are needed to be called upon.

Squads

Australia, first T20I: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams, Steve Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Matthew Wade, David Warner

Australia, second and third T20Is: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins, Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

England: Jos Buttler (c), Moeen Ali, Harry Brook, Sam Curran, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Ben Stokes, Reece Topley, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood. Standby players: Liam Dawson, Richard Gleeson, Tymal Mills.

What's the latest with England?

England have made five changes to their T20 World Cup squad that fell in the semi-finals last year including a forced one with the horrific injury to Jonny Bairstow.

The fresh faces include Harry Brook, who played with the Hobart Hurricanes last year, Phil Salt, who represented the Adelaide Strikers for two seasons, and Alex Hales, who is Bairstow's injury replacement.

They have a new captain in Jos Buttler after Eoin Morgan's retirement in June and Ben Stokes will be featuring too after missing last year's Cup due to mental health reasons.

Mark Wood will spearhead the attack with the quick bowler registering a delivery at 156kph in the T20 series against Pakistan, the fastest ever ball recorded by an Englishman.

What's the head-to-head?

Australia and England have met 20 times in the 17-year history of men's T20Is, with the Aussies holding a slight 10-9 advantage, with one no result.

Their most recent encounter was in the group stage at last year's T20 World Cup, where England comprehensively won by eight wickets.

But Down Under it's a different story, with Australia holding a 7-1 record at home, with England's only win on these shores coming way back in 2011.

Form guide

Australia have blown out some cobwebs over the last couple of weeks, at times playing some very good T20 cricket in their 2-1 loss away to India and 2-0 win over West Indies at home. The World Champions' record is good since they lifted the trophy in Dubai almost 12 months ago, with 10 wins from 14 matches.

England scored a very impressive 4-3 series win over Pakistan in Pakistan after being 3-2 down. However their form before that was fairly patchy, in July they lost 2-1 to both India and South Africa at home.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/fan...d-cup-warm-up-all-you-need-to-know/2022-10-08

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Wow.

Buttler is back with a bang.

16 off the first over.

England (Playing XI): Jos Buttler(w/c), Alex Hales, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Reece Topley, Mark Wood

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Aaron Finch(c), Mitchell Marsh, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Cameron Green, Matthew Wade(w), Daniel Sams, Nathan Ellis, Kane Richardson, Mitchell Swepson

Australia have won the toss and have opted to field

Buttler striking at 220 in the PP. Babar and Rizwan would be like what sorcery is this?

No. 1 white ball batsman in the world, specially impact wise, He can put fear of God in any bowler truly gifted.

He’s like ABD without a defensive game. But in white ball cricket that sort of works in his favour since his intent is always just to attack.

Imagine prime de Villiers and prime Buttler opening the innings in a T20. Wow wow wow.

But but but they don’t have a weak middle order to worry about

I would say this is the dress rehearsal of the world cup final next month. It would be Eng vs Aus final.

As you can see

You need to target 10+ at least in the powerplay overs

Once again ask yourself the question, can we do that with a top 3 of Babar/Rizwan/Shan ?

Thank God butler didn’t play a single game against us

As you can see

You need to target 10+ at least in the powerplay overs

Once again ask yourself the question, can we do that with a top 3 of Babar/Rizwan/Shan ?

No but I would argue that no batsmen in Pakistan can do this now or even in the past... Perhaps Afridi in his prime and Imran Nazir when it suited him...but they could never be this consistent...

Last edited:
England openers go after the bowling from first ball because of their batting depth.They have six or seven solid batsmen and Curran and Woakes can bat.This is why they play fearless cricket.If Pakistan can find three quality batsmen to replace Asif,Chacha Ifti and Khushdil then it will be a strong side.

This attack is still better than current Indian attack.
I am afraid that It's going to be embarrassing for India If they somehow face England in the knockout stage.

England openers go after the bowling from first ball because of their batting depth.They have six or seven solid batsmen and Curran and Woakes can bat.This is why they play fearless cricket.If Pakistan can find three quality batsmen to replace Asif,Chacha Ifti and Khushdil then it will be a strong side.

I see

So our batsman are capable of playing ‘fearless’ cricket but are playing ‘fearful’ cricket because they don’t have a reliable middle order? Is that your argument? So if we had Stoinis, David and Livingstone instead of Ifti, Asif and Khushdil….Our top 3 would all bat at a sr of 190+?

Australia messed up here, they’ve helped Butler get back in nick :))

What a stunning opening partnership

Have Ris and Babar ever achieved 130 odd in 11 overs or so? would be interesting to see

England's batting is insane. Can't see who will stop them in the WC. Bar a monster spell from an Afridi or Starc or someone like that, this WC looks locked.

There is much truth to this. England enjoy incredible batting depth which allows them to cut loose.

Stokes need not to try new things. Instead Just stick to his own strength and maintain balance.

Ben stokes is not a good T20 player. He should not be in England's t20is team.
Liam Livingstone is much better than him and he should play ahead of him.

Alex Hales has scored so many runs in Big bash league. He has played regularly here. He is the most important player for England in these conditions.

No idea why stokes was brought back to the t20 side, he isnt good enough for t20s
He has to captain england in the million tests they play per year.

Just checked stokes stats he has awful stats. He averages only 20 with the bat and strike rate is only 134 and with the ball he is not good as well he averages 37.

I have never seen him play a good t20is knock.

LOL and Ben stokes doesn't even have a single fifty in t20is and he bats regularly at 4 or 5. He is not good enough in t20is.

Hale only got into England side because Roy had lost form.If Hales gets in then he is a very dangerous player.Roy lost his form at the right time.Had he been in decent form England would not have picked Hales.

England's batting is insane. Can't see who will stop them in the WC. Bar a monster spell from an Afridi or Starc or someone like that, this WC looks locked.

But we (India) just beat them comprehensively at their own home during the summer. So I don't think England is all that good as making them out to be.

Lol. The ropes are pulled so far in. Anyway, this is the strongest T20 side I've ever seen from England.

Morgan's retirement and replacing Roy have made them a very dangerous side in this format .

But we (India) just beat them comprehensively at their own home during the summer. So I don't think England is all that good as making them out to be.

Different conditions of course, but they have a monster top 7/8. Their bowling isn't superb but if you regularly post 200 - it softens that.

Lol. The ropes are pulled so far in. Anyway, this is the strongest T20 side I've ever seen from England.

Morgan's retirement and replacing Roy have made them a very dangerous side in this format .

Are a superb line-up.

This means Shan Masood>> Stokes
Shan Masood is not a T20 player but this Ben stokes is surely very overrated in t20is and he doesn't do well in this format. He always struggles in this format.

jlKO1e2.png

Aus will win this I recon

England didn’t capitalise on the start given to them by their openers

230 was a minimum after that brutal start of 130-0

Watching the power these 2 teams posses on these big boundaries in Australia put into perspective how bad bad batting line is and badly it will struggle on these bouncy tracks

Mark wood should develop killer slower balls just like haris rauf.
He will get bashed regularly with those pacy balls against these top teams.

Mark wood even talked to haris rauf i think about slower balls. He should learn how to bowl those slower balls. He will be very effective with variation.

Both teams showing how to bat and maximize PP, pakistan is so far behind this it is embarrasing.

When Aussies have their full team available, they will not lose a game in the world Cup.

England could challenge them but the world Cup is theirs

Warner vs Wood

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/lvhgdw" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

You need power to clear these big boundaries in Australia.

I see the majority of pak dismissisals being caught on the boundary to the short ball

Powerplay complete.

Australia are: 1-62
England were: 0-58

Mark wood needs to wake up and see he is bowling to australian not those poor Pakistani batsmen who were scared of him.

Uth Jaa paai uth Jaa.

So people have seen couple of overs of Wood on an entirely different surface, in different conditions and suddenly Aussies know how to play him and Pakistanis do not.

I see many novel ways people slag off their team and this is up there.

Was one extreme to another with Pak batsman one end they were scared of wood the other Haiders were getting out to Currans 109kph bouncers.

Nah, it won't be an Aus vs Eng final. T20 just isn't predictable like that.

Actually it may seem so but over the years it has become a lot more predictable than it used to be. Also the gulf between the rest of the world vs these 2 teams is huge now.

So the secret to big scores? Move the boundaries in....

Fend4WBUAAAKwUS

So the secret to big scores? Move the boundaries in....

Fend4WBUAAAKwUS

Guess nothing like this!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Surely an international ground anywhere in the world should have bigger boundaries than 55 metres <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/INDvSA?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#INDvSA</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/ID4hd1VJlw">pic.twitter.com/ID4hd1VJlw</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1577307563409956864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 4, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's ridiculous. Not surevwhat the point if pulling it so far in is.

It’s because they had two low scoring games against West Indies. Australia’s plan is to blast teams out in the World Cup with their batting firepower and they don’t want to be holing out after all the practice throughout the year and IPL etc

It's ridiculous. Not surevwhat the point if pulling it so far in is.

Most Australian cricket grounds are Aussie rules football grounds and are larger than most cricket grounds elsewhere so they bring in the boundry rope to simulate a normal sricket ground.

Warner, Marsh, Starc, Stoinis didn't play in their recent series against India and that is why they lost. :inti

Most Australian cricket grounds are Aussie rules football grounds and are larger than most cricket grounds elsewhere so they bring in the boundry rope to simulate a normal sricket ground.

I don't think I've ever seen the ropes pulled so far in at the Optus Stadium. The larger cricket grounds are what makes LOI cricket so good to watch in Australia.

To be fair I only watch int'l cricket in Australia. Maybe they do it more often in BBL?

Back