England struggle to 84/5 on Day 2 of the rescheduled Test against India at Edgbaston

All out for 416. 78 runs scored this morning.

Look, I get Bazball and everything. But perhaps, they should have bowled more than 4 balls at the stumps against the tail?

Jim grump gets rav jads, whaataninnings - u beaut!!

i guess the rest will swing the bats like mad axe murderers and aim for the tall timber, no point in just defending.
Siraj knows only one shot, backing away and carving over cover.
massive oppurtunity to jim grump to get a fiver
This will be fun whilst it lasts :)

PP should give me an award for calling this....LOL :)

5-60 for Anders. Good effort

Rest of the bowlers pretty bad

Lol Lol Broad again. 15 years later.

This is the 2nd time England lost their plot against India's tail engaging in bouncer barrage.

England 160 all out. Feels like one of those days/matches for us lol

I have no idea why Anderson and Broad are mentioned together. They're nowhere near the same quality.

Just replace this team's upper half with Peak Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly, Laxman

I’d say a rollicking has just been doled out. McCullum looked thoroughly unimpressed with the England bowling performance on the team balcony this morning. First time I’ve seen our new Head Coach show some transparent emotion.

India just need a draw to win this series. Last time they won a series in England was in 2007.

Just replace this team's upper half with Peak Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly, Laxman

Gangauly is a dud vs pace and bounce. Rest are good yes. Laxman and drsvid too struggled vs pace and bounce.

I’d say a rollicking has just been doled out. McCullum looked thoroughly unimpressed with the England bowling performance on the team balcony this morning. First time I’ve seen our new Head Coach show some transparent emotion.

He asked for Bazball, he got Bazball. You can't just expect England to do the thrashing every time. McCullum inspired India too

Think Broad is playing his last test match now surely. Unless he picks up like a 7-fer or something in the second innings, he's done. Don't see him getting picked for the Tests against South Africa.

Think Broad is playing his last test match now surely. Unless he picks up like a 7-fer or something in the second innings, he's done. Don't see him getting picked for the Tests against South Africa.

I think he will be first to drop out next time a bowler gets dropped. Anderson is still leading the attack with high quality, and Potts has bags of potential. J Overton also adds a lot with the bat. Moreover these three (whether they have a good or bad day) all put in loads of effort. Whereas Stuart sometimes looks like he isn’t even taking the match seriously…

Gangauly is a dud vs pace and bounce. Rest are good yes. Laxman and drsvid too struggled vs pace and bounce.

For a dud, SG managed pretty well and scored some champagne knocks.

For the rest of your comment about Dravid & laxi - :apology

Indian attack will not let up in these conditions, I fear a carnage.

Jadeja is a better bowler than Leech, he won't leak so many runs and he will give more rest to pacers. Only thing is Thakur should bowl sensibly (and get those magical wickets if possible!)

Bit of a lucky 4 to Alex Lees.

Outfield is lush and pitch has a bit of pace; there seem to be a lot of flying edges and streaky shots racing to the boundary in this match.

Anderson still the best English bowler by a huge margin. Pretty insane stuff.

Also Broad gives me second hand embarrassment.

Never retire please Jimmy lol

Probably going to be the best English bowler if he carries on until he is 50

What's their record vs Donald, Pollock, mcgrath again? Yea that's what I thought.

Dude, in an interview Donald himself said that the one guy who he thought was most equipped to score in saffer conditions was RD. as for Laxi vs Aus - nuff said.

Well done Alex Lees

Could have driven the team bus through that gap

I always felt we had no idea always how to place our slips, there are so many instances in the last 4 years of the ball dropping short. look at the one crawley got away with.
This stems from lack of true bouncy wickets in india, in our domestic scene - not only its not conducive for pace bowling , it also does not breed good slipsmen.

I am honestly worried for England, the bowling looks pretty weak if disregarding Anderson.

I think Eng made a massive mistake by not selecting the quicker Overton - cant remember which. That extra pace would have pushed guys like Rishaabh , jads etc onto the back foot not too gung ho about swinging from the hip.
the same i feel for indian cricket as we gotta get Umraan in ASAP. his extra pace would lend a different dimension to our attack, just like shane bond and brett lee in the early 2000s to the ANZACS...

Maybe Crawley is gonna get bowled as well soon.
But he looks more comfortable against Bumrah and Shami as compared to the conventional swing bowlers. He could get a decent score

I think Eng made a massive mistake by not selecting the quicker Overton - cant remember which. That extra pace would have pushed guys like Rishaabh , jads etc onto the back foot not too gung ho about swinging from the hip.
the same i feel for indian cricket as we gotta get Umraan in ASAP. his extra pace would lend a different dimension to our attack, just like shane bond and brett lee in the early 2000s to the ANZACS...

Totally agree. England desperately needed some pace in their attack. This is a completely one-dimensional attack.

Even if India win this Test, England gain 1 ranking point and India lose 2 ranking points (3-1). Just checked the predictor from ICC website.

It is because England are #5 in Test ranking and are 22 points behind India.

Last edited:
Day 2: Lunch Break - England trail by 400 runs

IND 416
ENG 16/1 (3) CRR: 5.33

Revised hours today:

1315-1555 2nd session
1555 tea
1615-1830 3rd session
83 overs for today no over lost
30mins available at the end of the day to complete the overs
1435 drinks

What will happen to Hasan Ali in these pitches? Teams will score 20+ per over.

We always miss players who don't play lol The same two batted against Starc/Cummins/Hazlewood and added 204 runs in 38 overs at the SCG. Overton doesn't belong to the class of any of those bowlers.

England in another hole, down to middle order to save them again.

Jason roy buttler will not do worse than 2 jokers that England are opening with currently

Good stuff from India. On top of the game now. Root is the key man for England as always.

India's biggest nemesis Jo Root is still settling in. Before that they have to get rid of him.

I think the ball goes soft after 25 overs or so....we gotta get the big fish - Root.
i think skipper will bring on siraj soon or even lord beefy. i'd still get a silly point or fwd short leg in and do away with one of either third man or deep MW or maybe one of the slips...and give them some chin music or de parfum ball...cmon india...

Even if India win this Test, England gain 1 ranking point and India lose 2 ranking points (3-1). Just checked the predictor from ICC website.

It is because England are #5 in Test ranking and are 22 points behind India.
Lol, doesn't matter. Will happily lose many such points to have a test series win in England.

Eng bowled poorly despite get very good conditions to bowl in the first inning. To finish it off in style, Broad went for 35 runs...

England pathetic loser team, only bullying the Kiwis at home but surrendering meekly against the Indians.

Eng bowled poorly despite get very good conditions to bowl in the first inning. To finish it off in style, Broad went for 35 runs...

You can’t have an attack where bowlers can only perform when it swings and seams.

Jack Leach is as mediocre as it gets.

They are missing Woakes and Archer. Bowling is too one dimensional.

You can’t have an attack where bowlers can only perform when it swings and seams.

Jack Leach is as mediocre as it gets.

They are missing Woakes and Archer. Bowling is too one dimensional.

Eng's attack has been one dimensional for decades, but there is no excuse to not bowl wicket to wicket when tail is batting. That's just poor bowling.

Series is done.

Only question is whether it'll be 2-1 or 3-1.

Congratulations to all my fellow Indian fans on another great series win. :moyo2

What Eng generally are missing is one or two gun spinners. Swann was top class , Monty was'nt too bad. the rest since then were bog average - mo ali was here and there but never gonna win a match off his own, Rashid was again stock standard -didnt have any great deliveries.
I didnt follow the nz series too much but it seem leach took heaps in one test but agains india he's not cutting it.
This is where Eng is at its weakest - u have jimmy and broad who cant surely bowl 3rd or 4th spells, the back up seamers are all injured and on the fifth day - u have leach who is not gonna run thru sides too often.
i dont know if its a county system thing or young kids just donot want to become spinners, but this aspect will hurt eng a lot

Luckily for England, rain is back and doesn't seem to be subsiding any time soon.

England in a perilous position here, which after the next rain break has concluded could quickly become a dire one.

Today has been like the old England — poor tactics, bowling dross to tailenders, and both openers getting out in the first 5 overs.

Eng's attack has been one dimensional for decades, but there is no excuse to not bowl wicket to wicket when tail is batting. That's just poor bowling.

One would think they learnt from the first leg of this series. They did the exact same mistake.

Stokes explanation for choosing to field first was "We chase well". Not sure if that is reason enough in Tests against all the oppositions.

Back