England v S.A | 4th Test | The Oval | 7/08/08

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
England 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Andrew Strauss, 3 Ian Bell, 4 Kevin Pietersen (capt), 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Andrew Flintoff, 7 Tim Ambrose (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Steve Harmison, 10 James Anderson, 11 Monty Panesar.

South Africa 1 Graeme Smith, 2 Neil McKenzie, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Jacques Kallis, 5 Ashwell Prince, 6 AB de Villiers, 7 Mark Boucher (wk), 8 Morne Morkel, 9 Paul Harris, 10 Andre Nel, 11 Makhaya Ntini.

Umpires: Steve Davis and Aleem Dar

England likely to be back to a five man bowling attack. Intresting to see how England go in this test match as apart from the odd decent days cricket here and there they have been in the shadow of S.A in this series.

England might do okay because pressure if off now. Pietersen has told the top 5 batsmen that he is counting on them to score and have shown a lot of faith in Flintoff and Harmison

It's an attacking line-up. England have a decent chance with it being a dead rubber.....if dale Steyn was there, I'd give them no chance.

They've basically replaced a batsman with a bowler which I feel was the correct decision. It's an attacking strategy, but with Bell at 3, I fully expect the batting line up to fire. The no.3 position is so crucial and I feel belongs to Bell who has the ability and form to hold the line up together.

They are also relying on Broad to contribute with the bat, of which he is more than capable.

All in all, a good line up for Pieterson's first match as skipper.

I would put a serious question mark over Harmison. He's too 'hit or miss' for my liking

Surprised Mckenzie is playing as I thought he was carrying a niggle and this would be a perfect opportunity to try someone like Duminy.

dead rubber. sa to continue domination over england.

I feel sa arnt gona take that seriously since they already won the series,but still sa are known to be fighters till the very end.... Watch out for kallis,since he hasnt realy scored much this might be the best chance to make a 100 ..

Pak_mystery said:
I feel sa arnt gona take that seriously since they already won the series,but still sa are known to be fighters till the very end.... Watch out for kallis,since he hasnt realy scored much this might be the best chance to make a 100 ..

I beg to differ. I think Graeme Smith would be keen to give Pieterson's team a resounding defeat just like he did with Vaughn. Afterall, there is a load of bad blood between them with Pieterson calling Smith a 'muppet' in the past.

Last edited:
i think England might lose the Ashes 5-0 again

In the build-up to a test match between England and South Africa, Sky-sports commentary team have shown more footage and discussed more about the 2005 Ashes series than they have about anything concerning this series and the South African team. What is wrong with the English? In test series against India in ten years time will they still just be talking about the 2005 Ashes?

Ali Cook DROPS Graeme Smith at Gully - 1st ball of the match of the bowling of Harmison!!!

0-0

Fast, hostile over - he fells Smith also

1-0

Shocking over rate.

5 overs bowled in 30mins

Thats 10 overs per hour!!!

Oxy said:
Shocking over rate.

5 overs bowled in 30mins

Thats 10 overs per hour!!!

We would have been fined already

You probably would have already been caught tampering with the ball already though...

If England don't get a couple of wickets while the ball is new they could be spending alot of time in the field tomorrow on this wicket.

Milroastnescafe said:
You probably would have already been caught tampering with the ball already though...

If England don't get a couple of wickets while the ball is new they could be spending alot of time in the field tomorrow on this wicket.

And then we would send the umpire packing....disgraced and humiliated like the disgraced racist cheat Darrell Hair

Milroastnescafe said:

What the hell is that trolly post in aid of? Bad move....bearing in mind your name appeared on the 'to watch' list

56-1

A painful inngs for MAckenzie ended by Freddie

Eng's run rate is 20 overs in 1 hr 40 mins!!!

Milroastnescafe said:

Disgusting and childish post. :pissed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oxy said:
56-1

A painful inngs for MAckenzie ended by Freddie

Eng's run rate is 20 overs in 1 hr 40 mins!!!

:younis

England's a run rate is a 20 overs in a houra andaaa 40 minsaa

Harmy would've had Smith on the very first ball and what a boost it would've been for both Harmy and KP as a perfect start but Cook could'nt hold onto it!

But Freddy finally got the breakthrough with McKenzie caught at slip by Cook who sort of made up for that 1st ball drop of Smith...!

As I write this, they are walking out after lunch coming back 15 mins before usual as they had gone in for lunch 15 mins before schedule due to rain!

hmmm they just showed Freddie taking a pain killer....now is that really a pain killer ...?! heheheheh :p

Cook not having the best of days, is he? Another chance gone, not the easiest but a chance nonetheless.

Smith looked plumb LBW there. Not out.

Good return by Harmison. That dropped catch off the 1st ball of the game might have been the key point of the match!

Oxy said:
Smith looked plumb LBW there. Not out.

Good return by Harmison. That dropped catch off the 1st ball of the game might have been the key point of the match!
I feel the same. Catches, specially at Test cricket, needs to be held at any cost. I get so pissed off when my team drops catches in Test cricket.

Smith 46 pulling Harmisson gets a top edge and Anderson catches at long leg
SA 103-2

Amla 36 bowled by Harmisson yorker. on hat-trick
103-3
93mph

Last edited:
Harmison is quite a bowler when he finds his rhythm, isn't he? Unfortunately for England, it doesn't happen all that often.

4 slips, two gullys and a leg slip for hat-trick ball and Prince survives

The ball that got Amla was sent down at 92.6 mph.

Not sure theres been any quicker ball this summer

A beauty from Anderson to Kallis.

Gorgeous ball! How did that miss the edge of the bat???

And KAlllis is :younis WAQARED!!!!

What a beauty by Anderson to clean up Kallis for 2

105-4

A Yorker? the ball to amla was not a yorker, yorker is when the ball pitches under th bat.. the ball to amla was a 92mph half volley, i think mikey holding needs to clean his glasses.. and saying that would have got anyone out... amla struggles with pitched up balls

Kallis out LBW Anderson. away swinger followed by inswinger to get him
SA 105-4

is it just me or is neil mckenzie the most forgettable cricketer of our generation?

Harmison to Amla, OUT, gone again, two in two as Harmison strikes again, a ripping yorker spears through Amla's defences with late swing, he couldn't get down in time and England are bouncing...registered as 93mph, he's on top of his game at the moment

93 MPH

good to see him back to his best !

typical england...dead rubber and they come alive...as for harmlesson, well a trip to India will mean he'll go back to being mediocre!!

the Great Khan said:
typical england...dead rubber and they come alive...as for harmlesson, well a trip to India will mean he'll go back to being mediocre!!

I'd say you won't have to wait longer than South Africans second innings.

looks like england will probably win this one and KP will become their new god..lol

Message to Harmison. Mate you were always going to be back. You are the best English bowler out there. There will always be jealous people who will take cheap shots at you when you are down, but you were always going to be back and whoever said that England would be better off without you was just a jealous liar who must be really fuming to see you back now. England really blundered by not playing him in place of sidebottom in the previous test. Lesson for all sides, respect your match winning bowlers and always look to back them in their good and bad times.

the Great Khan said:
Will he go to India? Didn't also have a home sickness issue? Plus only two tests and I thought he quit ODIs (something happened in last Champions Trophy) either because of travelling or the white ball.

But now IPL is there so he has to develop some market and get used to it a bit. ECB is doing good by playing with Stanford and starting their league so there is a lot of money for them and some players might not go but still $400,000 for 6 weeks is big money for anyone.

Last edited:
England will still lose. South Africa to rally to 300 and England to muster less than 250. South Africa to then rack up a decent score and beat England by over 100 runs.

An encouraging performance, but nobody really cares by now. Still, a win in this significant game (Pietersen's debut as captain, and changing back to a possible long-term view to five bowlers) wouldn't hurt, and it would be the first step to setting up a winter and following summer that will hopefully deliver more than a pretty crappy few years.

this testmatch will be the one england needed i think pietersen wil set a grate score in this test :) what do you lot think

Savak said:
Message to Harmison. Mate you were always going to be back. You are the best English bowler out there. There will always be jealous people who will take cheap shots at you when you are down, but you were always going to be back and whoever said that England would be better off without you was just a jealous liar who must be really fuming to see you back now. England really blundered by not playing him in place of sidebottom in the previous test. Lesson for all sides, respect your match winning bowlers and always look to back them in their good and bad times.

All well & good to say that - but will he be up for a tour? Any tour? He gets homesick if he spends 3 days out of Newcastle!!!!

Oxy said:
All well & good to say that - but will he be up for a tour? Any tour? He gets homesick if he spends 3 days out of Newcastle!!!!

Like i always say, this is where psychological counseling, man management, player handling comes in. It is the duty of every team to get the best out of their best players.

Next three series are India away, West Indies away and Australia at home - he couldn't hope for a tougher test in his first year. I doubt a loss against Australia would be counted against him, unless it was a really big embarassment again, but the selectors will hope for at least a fight in India, and a convincing win in West Indies, otherwise the familiar pressure of English captaincy will rear its ugly head very soon.

ABCD Villiers OUT LBW!

158-7 @ Tea

Montgomery Panaser the jammy git - was going about 3-4 inches over the top.

Panesar strikes in first over. ABCDE 39 out LBW
SA 158-7 after 49.3 overs

49.3 Panesar to de Villiers, OUT, comes round the wicket, Panesar gets the breakthrough at the stroke of tea, the arm ball pitches outside off and comes into de Villiers, he stays on the backfoot but the ball hits him on the top flap of the pad, Steve Davis has no hesitation, Hawkeye showed the ball just missing the top of the stumps. It looked fairly plumb initially but technology thought otherwise

Last edited:
Umpiring has been pretty shoddy in this series.
Given the dour over rate by England, there will still be plenty of batting to come for England if they bowl out South Africa soon after tea.
Bowl SA out for 180, 100-2 at close sounds like a good target.

Back