England vs Australia | 2nd Ashes Test | Lord's | 18/7/13 | Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotham Cronie

Test Debutant
Runs
Play to start in just over an hour. Slightly delayed because the Queen is at Lords!

Apparently Tremlett is doing a lot of warmups and Finn can't be seen!

Australia : Shane Watson, Chris Rodgers, Usman Khawaja, Phil Hughes, Michael Clarke, Steve Smith, Brad Haddin, Ashton Agar, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Ryan Harris

England : Alastair Cook, Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Greaeme Swann, James Anderson

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to make a gamble here and say England play an unchanged side.

Toss in 25 minutes, play to start in just over an hour. Slightly delayed because the Queen is at Lords!

Apparently Tremlett is doing a lot of warmups and Finn can't be seen!

Sha, you beat me to this :)
Cowan & Starc dropped & Khwaja & Harris in the Aus 11 .

Khawaja's inclusion provided him with the first chance to show his improvement as a batsman since he was left out of the Test team in late 2011, serving consistently as a reserve since.

Harris was always a likely call-up for Lord's, as his consistent line, swing and skiddy pace appear ideally suited to the ground and its idiosyncratic slope. Importantly, Harris has played twice at the venue before, and as a senior bowler his temperament will be useful for the tourists as they seek to reverse a 1-0 series deficit.

While Starc can be expected to come back into the team at a later date, Cowan may have played his last Test. He had taken part in 18 consecutive matches since his debut on Boxing Day 2011, but a record of only one century and an average of 31.28 always left him vulnerable to omission.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2013/7/18/lords-day-one-preview

Today’s play is dedicated to… Billy Murdoch

The historic moment was day one of the first ever Ashes Test at Lord’s, dateline 1884. Stepping up was the Australian captain, William Murdoch, who after compiling a reasonably unremarkable 10 in the Australian first innings then took the field as a substitute fieldsman for England in the same innings.

It gets worse: Murdoch was the man who caught Aussie teammate Henry 'Tup' Scott, ending Tup's brave dig of 75 runs and snuffing Australia's vital last wicket stand of 69 runs. In doing so, Murdoch became the first substitute to take a catch in Test cricket.

Somehow we think Stuart Broad might have dropped that catch.

Why was Starc shown the door? he got 5 wickets

Because he isn't test standard and we have test standard fast bowlers in the squad.

And before you mention Khawaja it's a fact that we don't have test standard batsmen.

Because he isn't test standard and we have test standard fast bowlers in the squad.

And before you mention Khawaja it's a fact that we don't have test standard batsmen.
Clarke?

Khawaja looked pretty good to me back in the last Aussie ashes. I remember the camera kept going to his mum and dad in the stands and they were delighted.

Khawaja looked pretty good to me back in the last Aussie ashes. I remember the camera kept going to his mum and dad in the stands and they were delighted.
He looks a classy player but he can't make the most of his opportunities

I like Khawaja, even if he does not score big, he'll blunt the new ball which Clarke has major problems with. Lords can be a concrete slab at times as well, so i wont be suprised to see Clarke feast on this wicket

That was the 5th test at the SCG when he came in to replace Ponting. Scored a decent 30-odd, and was reveling in the hype at that point.

Trouble is, he has only managed to score 30-odds since as well. Aside from a good 60 during the 2nd test in South Africa where he chased down a 310 target in the 4th dig.

Wow, You will not find bunch of well dressed people going to watch Test cricket. Impressed...!

2hp28g2.jpg

Khawaja doesn't always score big but he consistently gets a start

10.25 Five minutes ahead of the usual schedule, the captains are out there for the toss. Praying to win the call and bat first surely on this glorious morning. Up goes the coin, Michael Clarke calls heads, it lands a tail so England have won the toss and will bat first. There is a change in their team, Steven Finn misses out and Tim Bresnan comes in. Clarke would, of course, battled first, and confirms the team changes, Khawaja for Cowan and Harris for Starc.

England : Alastair Cook, Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Greaeme Swann, James Anderson

Australia : Shane Watson, Chris Rodgers, Usman Khawaja, Phil Hughes, Michael Clarke, Steve Smith, Brad Haddin, Ashton Agar, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Ryan Harris

England batting... is there any more boring sight in test cricket?..

England batting... is there any more boring sight in test cricket?..

Hopefully they try to entertain the Queen.

Would be unpatriotic otherwise. Though I guess most of the team grew up in a republic.

If there is anything in the pitch it should be early, so this is good.

However, if the wicket is flat we cant score enough runs, so this is bad.

Anyway, everybody enjoy Rhino for his one game and Patto for this one, cos odds are they wont pkay the next one.....

Also unconfirmed rumours Patt Cummins is playing a game of cricket or sitting near one somewhere in Africa

Biuld up would have been more exciting if England had lost the first match. Expecting england to win again here due to less pressure

Prediction time : result or draw & how many do England score in this innings ?
i think result & 403 runs .

Aussies need to come out firing on all cylinders here , they must make the new ball count.

there will be result, as its a batting wicket, so there will be much runs, Eng 400+ first inn

What ever happened to Patt Cummins? Barely see anything from him

Been injured basically since his MOTM debut. I dont think he has even made it as far as a four day game since. He is on the A tour to Zimbabwe, but might just be tweeting.

Pattinson and Harris will take the new ball in a while, Cook and Root will open the batting for England! Early strike key for Aussies

Bresnan can bat and that may be crucial in this game, seeing as what happened in the first test

The ever so charming and handsome Steve Waugh at the balcony of the Lords Cricket ground. Time for battle

come on eng go hard go very hard , smack hard smack very hard

score big score very big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back