England vs India | 3rd Test | Nottingham | August 18-22, 2018 | Day 2 Thread

AssassinatedDevil

Local Club Star
Runs
Post of the Week
England v India: All you need to know from day one at Trent Bridge

The India captain shared a fourth-wicket stand of 159 with Ajinkya Rahane (81) and was on course for a second hundred of the series before he edged Adil Rashid (1-46) to slip.

Chris Woakes (3-75) had taken three wickets to give England the upper hand at lunch but for much of the next two sessions India dominated as the sun came out, the early swing subsided and Kohli and Rahane took full advantage.

James Anderson (1-52) struck with the last ball of the day to give England a late boost as India closed on 307-6 at Trent Bridge.

Moments of the day
With so much talk about England's slip fielding, there were two important catches taken in the slip cordon to help England wrestle their way back into the match.

Alastair Cook's exceptional effort, which saw him diving to his left and grabbing the ball with one hand despite seeing it late - after wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow chose not to go for the ball - was labelled the former England captain's best-ever take by Sir Ian Botham. And, Ben Stokes made no mistake when Kohli's attempted drive off Rashid took the edge of his bat and nestled in the all-rounder's hands.

There was still time for a catch to go down as Keaton Jennings spilled Hardik Pandya at third slip after the hosts had taken the new ball but Jos Buttler made no mistake as he got rid of the all-rounder with the final ball of the day for 18.

Stat of the day
Kohli and Rahane have made 2,364 Test runs batting together. For both players, it is their most prolific partnership.

Jimmy Anderson became the second England bowler to take 100 wickets against two, Australia and India - different nations.

Talking point

For the 45th consecutive match India named a different starting Test XI as opener Murali Vijay was replaced by Shikhar Dhawan, Dinesh Karthik by debutant Rishabh Pant and spinner Kuldeep Yadav by seamer Jasprit Bumrah. It always seemed a mistake to have two spinners at Lord's, so the introduction of a fit-again Bumrah was no surprise and a first Test cap for Pant beckoned after his fellow keeper's struggles with the bat. However, Vijay seemed particularly unlucky to have lost his place at the top of the order, having been dismissed by two unplayable balls in the second Test.

What they said

England bowler Adil Rashid: "As the day went on I thought it was good to bat on. But if the seamers hit the right area there's something in for them. It was definitely a nervy start, I haven't bowled for a little while and it takes a few overs to get into it. But it's obviously nice to get some overs under my belt. I was looking to bowl wicket-to-wicket and mix my pace up. Fortunately for me he (Kohli) nicked one - that was natural variation."

Indian batsman Ajinkya Rahane: "I think 307-6 is a good score on this wicket. We were looking to put pressure on the opponent but in the end it was a good score. It could have been better, intent was important on this wicket. Our openers played really well up front and our middle-order capitalised."

Sky Sports commentator David Lloyd: "They were quite resolute this morning. You'll get a tough first session here in England and you've got to tough it out, and I think they did that pretty well. They've scored at a good rate too. With hindsight, I think India have got the wrong team. If they can get 450 on the board they need two spinners because I think this is going to spin."

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...you-need-to-know-from-day-one-at-trent-bridge

England can wrap this up quickly using the morning conditions and use the better batting conditions to overtake the Indian total in the first innings.

I, for one am hoping Pant plays a good knock, so that Indian management will be more favorable to let more youngsters in the side. I hope to see Gill and Shaw in the side sooner than later.

Am a bit gutted to see Curran being kept out inspite of his recent heroics to let in Ben Stokes. Yes, Stokes is a champion cricketer, but he could have been kept out for a test as punishment and Curran could have played. I am biased as I like to see more youngsters in the game.

Look at South Africa ->Rabada, Ngidi... Pakistan-> Fakhar, Asif, Shaheen, Shadab, Faheeem..

Blood in youngsters, find those champions, recycling those tried, tested and discarded cricketers will get you nowhere.

England can wrap this up quickly using the morning conditions and use the better batting conditions to overtake the Indian total in the first innings.

I, for one am hoping Pant plays a good knock, so that Indian management will be more favorable to let more youngsters in the side. I hope to see Gill and Shaw in the side sooner than later.

Am a bit gutted to see Curran being kept out inspite of his recent heroics to let in Ben Stokes. Yes, Stokes is a champion cricketer, but he could have been kept out for a test as punishment and Curran could have played. I am biased as I like to see more youngsters in the game.

Look at South Africa ->Rabada, Ngidi... Pakistan-> Fakhar, Asif, Shaheen, Shadab, Faheeem..

Blood in youngsters, find those champions, recycling those tried, tested and discarded cricketers will get you nowhere.

Fakhar is 28 year old so not really youngster but i get your point.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What I liked in this innings was the intent shown by our batsmen and the front foot defense against the English pacers was solid. Wonderful partnership by <a href="https://twitter.com/imVkohli?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@imVkohli</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/ajinkyarahane88?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ajinkyarahane88</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/RishabPant777?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RishabPant777</a> should continue being positive and set the platform. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvIND?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvIND</a> <a href="https://t.co/HCsfZJgSwS">pic.twitter.com/HCsfZJgSwS</a></p>— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) <a href="https://twitter.com/sachin_rt/status/1030894961120694273?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 18, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Need to get to 400 somehow - which is a daunting target in any 2nd innings.

Ashwin has to hang around with Pant. Them, and Bumrah, Shami and Ishant should all recall that whenever we get England to 6 or 7 down, there is a massive partnership (like Curran which won the game in Edgbaston) so should not fold meekly here.

I would go with the following order should a wicket fall:

Shami (have a bling slog, it's your only way)
Ishant (block it, hope either Pant or Ashwin is at the other end)
Bumrah (you're a genuine XI, but hope you can survive and score a 10)

First session is crucial.

India would love to score another 75 - 100 runs.

England would like to keep India within 350

As said in other threads India will win this match as well as the series. or series might end up in draw.. England is not winning it.

As said in other threads India will win this match as well as the series. or series might end up in draw.. England is not winning it.

It's funny till yesterday everyone was saying its gonna be whitewash and just one day in good batting conditions and we are winning series from here? We might win this test match but winning series looks really huge task. I won't consider anything till england bats in second innings.

It's funny till yesterday everyone was saying its gonna be whitewash and just one day in good batting conditions and we are winning series from here? We might win this test match but winning series looks really huge task. I won't consider anything till england bats in second innings.

Its just my predictions... Even before the series started I have been saying england not winning this series.. Its not just yesterday I changed my mind... Even before this test started I mentioned there India is winming this test.

Forget those teams. Just look at our opponents giving the likes of Bess,Curran and pope debuts in recent years. I hope our selectors learn from ed Smith.

I think England will struggle today. India have runs on the board and our top order is the weakest it has ever been. Might need another ton from Woakes to rescue the ship. Very bad tactics from Root to put India in.

There is hope, because the scoring rate was improved (something which was missing in the first two matches & the whole South African Series) If the day ended something like 240/7 (low scoring rate would have itself induced another wicket! This psychology is not understood by ugly Shastri) then the advantage would have flowed like anything towards England!

Advantage India, but first hour could swing momentum either way.

Rolled for 330- England wlll be on their way
350/360- honours even enough.
370+- India still in box seat & let's see how they bowl.

Given weather conditions today, it could be England having to bat in difficult conditions for the first time in this series

Broad Strikes.. End of Pant's debut... bowled off an inside edge

Now to quickly end the innings..

Advantage England if they can get these last two wickets.

India massively threw it away late yesterday, they should have been around 300/4

Wow, absolutely suicidal batting since the second new ball.

India should try to recruit Mickey Arthur, he is basically everything that Ravi Shastri isn’t.

He understands preparation and discipline.

Pakistan used to lose their last 5 wickets for 22 like India just did. And when Misbah retired, Mickey fixed that problem.

I don't get how we can get England 7 or 8 down then face a big partnership but can never do it to them with our late order.

India lose their last 7 wickets for 88 runs.

Ball is doing more this morning which will encourage the Indian seamers though.

Turning point was Kohli’s shot trying to get to a century, India at that point were 279/4 and now suddenly they are 329 all out. A couple of ingenious bits of bowling last night from Rashid to get Kohli, and Anderson to get Pandya, and England are now right back in this game. India meanwhile have had an awful morning.

The ball is clearly swinging a lot. Let's see if India can make use of it.

I don't get how we can get England 7 or 8 down then face a big partnership but can never do it to them with our late order.

There is a vast difference between batting of lower order and bowling qualities of both teams.

England top 4 have been struggling, so India still have a chance to get the top order quickly... the later batsman are much harder to get

These are good bowling conditions, India have no excuse not to remove the England top-order cheaply.

Lovely start from England, already raced to 29-0 in 5.4 overs. Bowlers bowling trash... :wa

England's session. I would say two sessions each in the match so far.

What awful bowling!

Cloud cover and swing, but Shami far too slow and Bumrah bowling far too quick for the conditions.

Wow some serious pace from Bumrah.
Touching 90mph easily.

Pace can only give support to your skills. Cant make you Akram, Mcgrath, Waqar, Ambrose etc.

Even though Akhtar was the fastest still he was a really skillful bowler to utilize that.

Not saying Bumrah have zero skills or he cant improve but pace is sometimes overly rated by Indians maybe bcz they never had that.

We have argued long and hard on this forum who has the better bowling attack Pakistan or India and after watching this morning I can say for sure Pakistan bowling is far superior than Indias.

Really poor bowling this morning, took of all the pressure of the new ball. Bowling short and wide, England will score 500 if they keep bowling like that!

Poor bowling from India, but I'd rather have runs on the board so I'd guess they are slightly ahead in this test. If you win the toss and bowl first, you should really be bowling the other team out for less than 300.

Looks tough for India. Given away the advantage with poor bowling. If England get 450 it's over.

Bumrah is getting good pace and bounce but not a big swinger of the ball I guess due to his action. If he can get swing going he will be a lethal test bowler.

Ishant and Bhuvi would have been perfect new ball bowler. Bhuvi can also contribute with bat. India must miss him dearly in these conditions.

Pant will learn quick .. although couldn't anticipate that root's catch but has taken 3 catches.

He was wrong footed. These are the basics and you expect an international keeper to not make such mistakes.

This england batting line up is half cook'd that is the root problem and I have no pope for them.

That bounced on the ground before touching the fingers. Think it'll be given out because it's given out as a soft decision.

India is back in this one big time. Root's dismissal was one of this that I don't like. Can never be 100% certain that the ball didn't touch the ground which is why the benefit should go to the batsman. England are in trouble here needing at least a century partnership.

Lord Gower proposing the introduction of android commentators on the broadcast, reckon they'd be an improvement on some of the mindless drones that find work as commentators around the world these days.

5 down.

Now can we wrap up the last 5 for less than 108, or do our usual topsy turvy thing of gifting 150 more?

Back