England vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Cardiff | 26-30 May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the batting decent though? Trott had to bowl, Anderson got injured and Broad is woefully short of form. 400 on a flat pitch against 2 bowlers and 3 half-bowlers - and with lots of rain breaks which make it difficult for the fielding side to get into it - represents the bare minimum. They're a terrible side. England have been playing at half-capacity and still looked safe as houses.

Batting was decent considering we only played 5 batsmen out of which 2 of our best got out without scoring much. The pitch isn't as flat as some people make it out to be, certainly not the spiciest but bowlers who bent their back got the bowl to move(Anderson & Tremlett). The others were just too rusty at the start of the summer. Our bowling is certainly the weakest it has been since ages. I'm expecting nothing better than to compete in future series till we find some decent bowlers. Dilhara and Nuwan Pradeep getting injured before the match didn't help either. Overall, pretty much what I expected.

Was the batting decent though? Trott had to bowl, Anderson got injured and Broad is woefully short of form. 400 on a flat pitch against 2 bowlers and 3 half-bowlers - and with lots of rain breaks which make it difficult for the fielding side to get into it - represents the bare minimum. They're a terrible side. England have been playing at half-capacity and still looked safe as houses.
It was in away conditions, English conditions don't usually suit well with Sri Lankans. They batted in overcast conditions early on and did fairly well. Most sri lankan batsmen should have pushed on with their starts and get a hundred rather than just the wicketkeeper though. Their batting should improve the longer they're their to get used to the batting conditions.

The opening partnership negotiated Anderson ok early on before his injury despite him looking very dangerous, and most batsmen played the other bowlers fairly well. A four hundred total should have been enough to apply some sort of pressure, but their bowlers bowled so badly, making four hundred for the english batsmen was a piece of cake.

Honestly, in the same position, I'm not sure Pakistan would have made 400 :)). And making four hundred in the first innings, with the poor weather and nature of the pitch, pretty much meant they were in a win or draw situation. So credit to them to at least achieving that.

There's plenty of time to prove themselves in the next test, at least they aren't starting one down in the test series and on the back foot. Always difficult for a touring side to claw their way back.

On a side note Cook, Trott, Bell look all in ridiculously good form. It's a bit daunting for the opposition.

In test matches held in early season, dont u thing England has erred in playing with 4 bowlers & the pitch did seem like such a waste of time !!!

Will the weather hold up for the next test or will we see more of rain and less cricket at Lord's too?

wow wicket already by Tremlett!

Maybe this really is game on, England have about fifty overs to bowl Sri Lanka out for less than hundred? Can they do it?

Is it a bank holiday in wales? The ground is dead. Could have a cracking finish here im surprised people arent making their way down.

Sri lanka caught off guard here.

Looks like they assumed England would bat on for a draw. Wonderful attacking bowling from England though.

Another one?? decision reviewed...looks like it wasn't just us that get dismissed cheaply in England

hahha, Swann is relatively harmless, not getting much turn and bite, but Sri Lanka are just batting like a wreck

Wow an innings win for England on the cards now.

Lankans look to have lost it mentally

They're also using the reviews like headless chickens.

wow, eng are so suited to their home conditions its not funny, SL must be wondering what just happened, cant wait to see the highlights tonite.

whatever result it will be an epic ending.

No hot spot yet the third umpire still gave that as 'conclusive evidence' to overturn that?

Unbelievable.Even Pakistan would have done better for this,we would be all out at this stage.Sri Lanka = Rank amateurs at the art of collapsing :inti

This is pretty insane, I honestly thought the game would end in a draw. A big LOL @ all the people who were deriding England's bowling attack earlier.

They have too many Home Track Bullies.This isn't the flat tracks of Colombo where you can plunder 200s at will and bloat your averages further.

All that is ok,but if it so easy to score in flat tracks y does england get blasted away every time they come to india and sri lanka.they must atleast draw the matches at a bare minimum as they are used to playing in seaming tracks at home which they dont.which means it require skill to bat in subcontinent conditions as well and not as easy as u make out to be.

England winning really pains me but need to give credit where its due...this is the best bowling performance I've seen in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages

i think they are looking for a payout.... like aamir and butt and asif.... i hate to say it but look at the shots

Yep, just found out - Pakistan's lowest was 72 at Edgbaston in the first innings. :zoni :ajmal

Still 20 runs to go.

Whoa! What a turnaround for otherwise boring 4 days of on n off cricket at cardiff.

With just 2 bowlers England is able to get 8 wickets of Sri Lanka in less than 20 overs.

Respect

All that is ok,but if it so easy to score in flat tracks y does england get blasted away every time they come to india and sri lanka.they must atleast draw the matches at a bare minimum as they are used to playing in seaming tracks at home which they dont.which means it require skill to bat in subcontinent conditions as well and not as easy as u make out to be.

Playing on seaming wickets is a much harder task.

On flat tracks,Geoff Boycott said that all you have to do is plant your front foot down the track.OK,if it is a dusty turner in the sub-continent of course it is much more difficult but I'm referring to the pitches where batsmen can plunder runs at will.We have seen the various India vs Sri Lanka matches where both sides score 500-600 with ease.

wow... seems SL batsmen are playing on a pitch made of ICE...

Mian Hassan pls stop making baseless allegations.

LOL, what a turn around, and Innings loss is on the cards, great entertainment, love not being the team that is collapsing :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back