England vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Cardiff | 26-30 May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes you appreciate the true quality of the bowling England were facing last summer. :ajmal :asif :amir

Test matches in which the first player dismissed for each side was their captain. The sides batting first and their captains are listed first.

Code:
Aus v Eng  The Oval      1888    PS McDonnell/WG Grace
Eng v Aus  Lord's        1899    AC MacLaren/J Darling
Eng v Aus  Adelaide      1901-02 AC MacLaren/J Darling
WI  v Eng  Port-of-Spain 1953-54 JB Stollmeyer/L Hutton
Eng v SAf  The Oval      1960    MC Cowdrey/DJ McGlew
Pak v Eng  The Oval      1967    Hanif Mohammad/DB Close
NZ  v Eng  Nottingham    1990    JG Wright/GA Gooch
Eng v WI   Bridgetown    1993-94 MA Atherton/RB Richardson
Aus v Eng  Perth         1994-95 MA Taylor/MA Atherton
Aus v Eng  Manchester    1997    MA Taylor/MA Atherton
SAf v Pak  Johannesburg  1997-98 G Kirsten/Aamir Sohail
Pak v Aus  Rawalpindi    1998-99 Aamir Sohail/MA Taylor
Aus v Eng  Sydney        1998-99 MA Taylor/AJ Stewart
SAf v Eng  Leeds         2003    GC Smith/MP Vaughan
SAf v Eng  The Oval      2003    GC Smith/MP Vaughan
NZ  v Eng  Lord's        2004    SP Fleming/ME Trescothick
Eng v WI   Bridgetown    2008-09 AJ Strauss/CH Gayle
Eng v WI   Lord's        2009    AJ Strauss/CH Gayle
SL  v Eng  Cardiff       2011    TM Dilshan/AJ Strauss

Boring game, stay away from Cardiff in future.

Still might be able to twist a win out of it, but doesn't really matter either way. We won't be losing twenty wickets against this team anytime soon, unless we play more abysmally than even I think we're capable of doing.

245 balls Robert. 74 off 350 is SR territory reserved for one man :misbah

What a crap of a test this has been despite the rain intervals - What a road this track has been and to top it off the SL bowling has been dreadful no penetration at all!

Cook-Trott have batted well, scored slowly in the beginning but last night picked it up slightly in between but has been some boring bits too in between.

KP :out

Gone for 3 off 11 balls to Herath LBW

Long time it took for the 3rd umpire to give it out!

Good review by SL and they got it!

KP was unlucky there. Clearly out but the ball kept low & did well to try & keep it out. Bell in now, he's been in great form recently.

KP's struggles against slow left armers continues

Good analysis by Athers on KP's mental issue with left arm spinners

Trott. I was looking through one of my old posts where I said he was an ordinary player. How wrong was I :facepalm:

SA must be kicking themselves for letting this guy slip through the net :kallis

Not watching the game but I've seen Trott and Bell share a massive partnership for Warwickshire where they both played Herath in their sleep (Bell actually dominated him easily). Not sure why he's getting so many overs. Good batting but have to say this is a terrible bowling attack.

Trott is going to score 300 when he comes to the sub-continent or if he plays in Dubai. Mark my words.

cardiff pitch is famous for being a very flat pitch. ball may swing do a "bit" but if you stick at the crease ,you score runs. same happened in ashes 2009. with no jimmy, win looks unlikely. shame that. cause jimmy bowled superbly.

Wrong.....atleast most subcontinent pitches offer assistance to spin and deteriorate to give bowlers some chance

Knowing that india always takes some times to adjust to the conditions (looses first test)

If they start India-Engalnd series with a flat pitch like this they will loose the momentum from the very first match,i highly doubt if after that they can recover.

i am highly impressed with paranavitana and prasanna

both proved they can play in alien conditions. while the pitch may be flat, but they played very well. gutsy cricketers.

Michael Vaughan just tweeted:

"Heavy rain in Cardiff.. Worst it's been all week.. Shame.. England could have had a chance of winning with a full days play"

:)) I know England bowling attack is good, but getting SL batting all out in two sessions is a harder...

Knowing that india always takes some times to adjust to the conditions (looses first test)

If they start India-Engalnd series with a flat pitch like this they will loose the momentum from the very first match,i highly doubt if after that they can recover.

Getting the excuses ready already? :yk

Wrong.....atleast most subcontinent pitches offer assistance to spin and deteriorate to give bowlers some chance

Only two days have been played on it realy.

Also there has been a lot of help for swing bowlers.

Two very good batting lines, is all.

England will start the day with a lead of 91 and with 5 wickets intact the pommies will have their eyes on a 200 run lead.

Oh come on, they're been pretty unspectacular. Sympathy vote or what.
Batting was decent, bowling sucked

Although it will end in a draw, they've pretty much been outplayed by England in all facets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back