England vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Cardiff | 26-30 May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
bowl them out before close, bat for 2 days, bowl at them again. might win.

if England collapse in the first innings then Sri Lanka might win.

probably going to be a draw whatever happens from here.

Nearly 200 runs scored in 52 overs today. England have started to drop catches too.

Some 44 overs to go, if they can bat even 30 of these, they would be 450+!

We should bat around 25 overs and put in England to bat today if we can bowl 15 overs today and get two wickets with the new cherry. We sure are in the driving seat

Last edited:
Sri Lanka needs get past 400 to be on the safer side. England's bowling barring Jimmy n to a certain extent Swann not at all looking threatening (except for few occasional good deliveries form Broad n Tremlett)

Sri Lanka needs get past 400 to be on the safer side. England's bowling barring Jimmy n to a certain extent Swann not at all looking threatening (except for few occasional good deliveries form Broad n Tremlett)

I get a feeling Jimmy won't be part of this match anymore. surely they will want him fit specially with India touring

I get a feeling Jimmy won't be part of this match anymore. surely they will want him fit specially with India touring

Is there any official update made on his status?

Looking things the way it is right now, I would want Sri Lanka to try n bat not just for this evening but also for tomorrow morning session if possible to make a massive total.

Last edited:
Is there any official update made on his status?

Looking things the way it is right now, I would want Sri Lanka to try n bat not just for this evening but also for tomorrow morning session if possible to make a massive total.

Early morning usually over cast conditions . We would love to ball with a new ball in these swinging conditions . Better we declare at stumps

England's catching hasn't been good today

Decent chance to Strauss at slips dropped

Great 100 by Prasanna. Wonderful knock, especially when people where questioning his place in the team and asking for Chandimal's inclusion.

P.JAYA was ignored for a long time once kumar gave his gloves away in the longer format of the game . P.JAYA sure has taken the opportunity with both hands

The ball was nowhere near the floor. Awful decision.

I really like what Kallis does, he asks the fielder and walks off. No nonsense.

Yup the last time he did that was against Enlgand in the world cup he asked Matt prior and walked . True Gentleman of the game . Even gilly used to walk

Last edited:
An All-Time Short-Fused XI, from Simon in Vietnam: Michael Slater, Sunil Gavaskar, Ian Chappell, Javed Miandad, Jesse Ryder, Ian Botham, DK Lillee, Sreesanth, Bill O'Reilly (the 30's leggie, not the Fox anchor) , Roy Gilchrist (captain), Andre Nel (angry 12th man). Just having Lillee/Miandad and especially Botham/Chappell in the same team ought to be explosive enough, and Roy's captain's speeches would be potentially terrifying."

Superb batting by Jayawerdne, just checked score. I thought England would be batting, but surprise

England are lucky Mallinga is not playing this series

Geordie there was a noise on the replay, a nick on hotspot and the bat was miles away from the pad. evidence was decent enough.

let's see if Sri Lanka can get over 400.

Sri Lanka are already slight favourites to win this test now. I rate the English batting line up very highly, it's very dependable on varying conditions, but runs on the board are runs on the board. Four hundred runs is enough to apply pressure, and especially since the pitch has a little bit in for the bowlers (and Sri Lanka are playing five bowlers)

at least we're going to get them out for a par score. was looking doubtful at one stage.

Broad has come back well, what a catch for a tall bowler! amazing.

Geordie there was a noise on the replay, a nick on hotspot and the bat was miles away from the pad. evidence was decent enough.

My issue was with how the TV umpire came about with the decision

Hot Spot did not show anything conclusive and he is not allowed to use snicko

Sri Lanka reached 400 on the 2nd day with half of day 1 washed out!

Thats how you score big in test cricket!

Unlike Pakistan the slow snails!!!

I see this being a draw (without the rain intervention)...SL's bowling isnt strong enough to get the English wickets cheaply imo

at least we're going to get them out for a par score. was looking doubtful at one stage.
yep, but then again, without that hundred by a wicketkeeper not really famed for his batting and a bit of tail wag, Sri Lanka would have been in deep trouble. I think Sri Lanka are feeling the lucky ones at the moment.

haha Sri Lanka got out for four hundred exactly. Guess that's what they were aiming for.

Reckon English batting will ensure this test will be a draw. If both sides score heavily in the first innings, four hundred scores, it'll be a draw.

Trott, Cook, Strauss, Bell, Prior are all in superb form so I bank on them to score big

I see this being a draw (without the rain intervention)...SL's bowling isnt strong enough to get the English wickets cheaply imo
depends on their spinners, and if a two man spinner attack will wreck havoc

I don't see their fast bowlers doing much

Min overs remaining 27 at least two wickets and the 3rd day would be a crucial one for both teams on the outcome of the match

Surprised how SL have adapted so quickly to the conditions in England & Wales. Somewhere were most of the Asian International teams, especially Pakistan tend to struggle.

I'm yet to watch the highlights but it's clear that SL are on top and tail enders could easily provide 400+ for them, this would put them in a even stronger position.

I'll be going to see the Day 3 tomorrow, so let's hope I witness the same quality SL poduced with the bat... But this time from England! :D

England certainly overbowled Broad. He was the worst out of the lot but got a huge no of overs

We could easily lose the openers tonight, which in turn could make make the morning session tomorrow a bit messy...

Just being realistic. We don't look totally at the races for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back