England vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Cardiff | 26-30 May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
England made 420 first up at Cardiff against the Aussies, but were still overhauled comfortably. I reckon there are a lot of runs in this pitch if the batsman applies himself.

400 is a must on this pitch. We'll struggle to win tests till we find some match winning bowlers from now on.

England made 420 first up at Cardiff against the Aussies, but were still overhauled comfortably. I reckon there are a lot of runs in this pitch if the batsman applies himself.

Pulled out the scorecard for the game. Surprised... How can you score 1200+ runs on a pitch like this. Bowl is moving like tinkerbell

Weather would have been supportive at the time...

Ball isnt swinging much like it did against Pakistan. Hopefully against India they prepare better bowling pitches otherwise there wont be any contest.

Good job, Sri Lanka. Regardless of the English response, SL did a much better job of hitting the ground running than what Pak did last summer.

broad to maharoof, no run, huge appeal from broad, as he sets off towards cover in half-celebration ... But hang on, the umpire doesn't agree. Broad has a word with his captain, and they're going to review this. The ball seamed in quite sharply and struck him on the back leg as he propped forward, but that's hit him well outside the line. good work by umpire dar, total waste of a review
:))

400 is a must on this pitch. We'll struggle to win tests till we find some match winning bowlers from now on.

I guess this tour and other away tours will be the ones where we find if sri lanka have bowling stars off the future.

Broad 0/72.

Onions is probably breathing down his neck, or at least should be if Broad wasn't The Chosen One.

How many feel this match is going for a tie no play for half a day yesterday. Did not have a early start today :(

ahahahha again dar denies..
this is awesome.!!!!
:)))

Should give Swanny a few overs and see if Maharoof can resist having a go.

Strauss needs to have a word with Broad. Really, he shouldn't blow his top if replays confirmed it wasn't out aswell.

How many feel this match is going for a tie no play for half a day yesterday. Did not have a early start today :(

I don't know why they didn't do the early start this morning. An early start brings 7 extra overs, and doing that for 4 days would have equalled a lost session. Weird.

Last edited:
I don't know why they didn't do the early start this morning. An early start brings 7 extra overs, and doing that for 4 days would have equalled a lost session. Weird.

Exactly weather was okay for a early start today. Hmm weird indeed . SL Would bat till stumps I guess if they got wickets left

So england have wasted both reviews in space of an over :)))

Broad should get a warning for match ref for way he reacts and over appeals etc...

hes a moron!

Broad should just get on his hands on knees and get at the umpire feet :)))

SL 265/5 - If they keep battling they could get 400 here!

Mahroof needs some runs under his belt . Battig ability will sure give a edge in a competitive situation and if he performs well with the ball he can be a permanent fixture in the squad

Good job, Sri Lanka. Regardless of the English response, SL did a much better job of hitting the ground running than what Pak did last summer.

I have allways maintained that Srilanka is much better team then experts and fans give credit. Media hype doesnt change anything on field except creating unecessary pressure on players and fan expectations

Been very impressed with Jayawardene the wicket keeper in terms of his batting so far in this match.

SL 271/5

haha! how the hell did england nominate this fool broad as T20 skipper?

He quite clearly cant manage himself never mind the rest off his team/

HAPW is tidy little player and he's scored runs almost every time I've seen him.

The fact we are seeing partnerships throughout the SL innings suggests this is a very flat pitch.

Can see England being 200/0.

I think Sri lanka will need atleast 450 here to be on par score for the conditions.

Totally undeserved wicket. I'm embarrassed to be pleased about it.

Perera and Herath are both handy with bat so Sri lanka could still push towards 350 now maybe?

England have done well to pick up 6 wickets on a pretty placid surface.

England have done well to pick up 6 wickets on a pretty placid surface.

The ball's moved around significantly at times, I think Samaweera and Jayawardene inparticular played a good partnership when it was tough. Pakistan probably would have been all out for around 200 lol.

Perera is meant to be a very good striker off a ball in ODIs...

Broad on the verge of bringing up his hundred

When was the last time Broad bowled well......

England's Wahab for my money.

Unlucky way to get out Mahroof .
Thisara perera can strike the ball well

I did say earlier Finn would have been better choice

Even shehzad would have been handy

The pitch looks to be flattening out now. Lanka will hope to see some clouds later in the day and for tomorrow.

Swann v a left-handed tail-ender ought to be amusing.

This pitch is so dry and looks a flat belter

It does turn here, Hauritz did pretty well in 2009. Oddly enough Swann and Panesar did abysmally, but the team was having a collective bad game. Swann doesn't look at his best here either, but he remains crucial if England are to take the 20 wickets on such a dry pitch.

It does turn here, Hauritz did pretty well in 2009. Oddly enough Swann and Panesar did abysmally, but the team was having a collective bad game. Swann doesn't look at his best here either, but he remains crucial if England are to take the 20 wickets on such a dry pitch.

Too much of county cricket looks a bit rusty

KP could have run up to the stumps and taken the bails off. waste.

Herath anyone? :p

KP has had a bad day in the field two misfield and missed A direct hit with two stumps to aim at

Credit due to England bowler have done (except broad)
I got excited when Nasser said half an hour extra But infact it was for tue slow over rate :(

This pitch will only get better for batting. It'll be tough to grind out a result.

they can still take the last four wickets for not much, trying not to get too annoyed with this middling performance.

I have to say I am seriously impressed with the batting and temperament of the Sri Lankan players. they have reached 300 with little incident and against the seaming ball with 4 players reaching half centuries. Had it been the Pakistan line up, I would have bitten your hand off if you offered me 300 all out!

Herath is a better left-arm spinner than average, not sure England like average left-arm spin too much.

I have to say I am seriously impressed with the batting and temperament of the Sri Lankan players. they have reached 300 with little incident and against the seaming ball with 4 players reaching half centuries. Had it been the Pakistan line up, I would have bitten your hand off if you offered me 300 all out!

Yeah where Sri Lanka went 4 down is where Pakistan would have lost the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back