India (176/7) crowned champions of ICC T20 World Cup 2024 after a 7 runs victory against South Africa (169/8)

Which side will win the final of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 between South Africa and India?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
India’s triumph over England by 68 runs in Guyana on Thursday marked their eight consecutive victory in the tournament, securing their position at the top of the first Super Eight group. Consequently, they are set to compete against Aiden Markaram’s South Africa in the Final on Saturday.

The Final, which will see India and South Africa face off, is scheduled for 10.30 am on Saturday morning, June 29 (local time), at the Keningston Oval Stadium in Barbados. Notably, both teams have reached here as undefeated contenders.

_20240628_012455.JPG

Squads:

India:
Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samson, Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Siraj

South Africa: Aiden Markram (c), Ottniel Baartman, Gerald Coetzee, Quinton de Kock, Bjorn Fortuin, Reeza Hendricks, Marco Jansen, Heinrich Klaasen, Keshav Maharaj, David Miller, Anrich Nortje, Kagiso Rabada, Ryan Rickelton, Tabraiz Shamsi, Tristan Stubbs

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

SA just need to play normal game and go hard in the first 6 overs.

Congratulations to all our Indian friends here.

You get to feel how we felt in the last T20 world cup.

And I hope you feel the same as we felt after the match is over.
Honestly telling losing to South Africa will be not heartbreaking as losing against Australia and England

Hoping for a good contest .

I India needs to bring Sanju/ Jaiswal into the playing XI because India is not using Dube to counter spin, and he is not effective against pace. Also, please send Dube to Thala's farm. He would be more useful there.

Honestly telling losing to South Africa will be not heartbreaking as losing against Australia and England

Yeah same. Hate losing to NZ/PAK/ENG/BD/OZ.

Don't mind Saffers/Windies beating us if they've played better.

both are unbeaten but the indian performances have been far more convincing, congrats to neighbours in advance
Saffers have unchoked more in games , we only unchoked against PCT.. all other teams we were always almost ahead.

TBH, I don't like our team losing to anyone let alone SA (especially to the XI that has Rabada in it, who I am not a big fan of) that has an equally rabid anti-India/conspiracy-loving cricket fans/media personnel just like some of our neighbors.

After multiple attempts over the last decade, I hope we cross the hurdle of winning an ICC trophy, this time.

I didn't even expect my team to reach the semis before the start of the tournament.
This was me, after our Pakistan game.

I genuinely thought we wouldn't get past Super 8s, but we are here.

Hope our boys perform one more time as a team and get us the much needed ICC trophy which we have been failing to grab over the last decade.

Keep the eye on the rain. Rain prediction is 80% throughout the day.

And reserve day also rain predicted.

Hope our boys perform one more time as a team and get us the much needed ICC trophy which we have been failing to grab over the last decade.
In fact I was pretty much convinced that we'd lose to Pakistan after we completed our innings. I even started a thread after we won saying that Pakistani players should be ashamed of gifting us the victory on a silver platter.

I agree. We will all have some banter but losing in the final is not the end of the world in T20 cricket. oDI hurts more.

I want SA to win but let's be honest they don't have the fire power to beat India

We might as well already make a Congratulations India thread :bumble2

The orange in the Indian jersey is enough to put fear into the South African batsmen.

South Africa, I have no hope in you. I have zero expectations from you. I can’t even say “if you win…” or “we’re getting SA winning an ICC event before GTA 6”.

In fact I was pretty much convinced that we'd lose to Pakistan after we completed our innings. I even started a thread after we won saying that Pakistani players should be ashamed of gifting us the victory on a silver platter.
Quite sure Australia and England would kill to be in the position Pakistan were in.

Since that game, India hasn’t really been tested.

Pakistan bottled every game, the USA game was also there to be won but our boys wanted the early vacation :afridi
Yah, Pakistan had two chances and I thought USA can't really get lucky two times, but Pakistan played poorly in USA game as well.

Yah, Pakistan had two chances and I thought USA can't really get lucky two times, but Pakistan played poorly in USA game as well.
Such a poor team, yet they had all the opportunity to go through to the next stage.

Yet they were hell bent on not going through.

Saffers have unchoked more in games , we only unchoked against PCT.. all other teams we were always almost ahead.
It's true that saffers have come out on top in more pressure situations in this tournament, but if india have them under pressure it won't relent nearly as easily

The only way SA is winning this is if they score massively in the first innings and set a target. The one thing India haven't done in this world cup is chase a big score

The only way SA is winning this is if they score massively in the first innings and set a target. The one thing India haven't done in this world cup is chase a big score
That's a way to win any final.

Key is how sa batsman play Indian spin
And
Hoe Indian batsmen play saf pace
Those 2 encounters will decide the match

Quite sure Australia and England would kill to be in the position Pakistan were in.

Since that game, India hasn’t really been tested.
No way Australia would have lost after restricting India for 119. Them losing to Afghanistan was simply an anomaly.

Kensington will suit the batsmen a little more than the other pitches. India with their superior Batting will have the advantage. It should be a good battle Two chokers,we will see who is the bigger choke (y)

Two top teams who are hated and disliked for no major reasons but time and again, they have played absolutely fantastic cricket and entertained fans like none, will play the Finals.

My condolences to Pakistani, English and Australian fans for just being a spectator for tomorrow's much awaited WC Final.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was expecting a drubbing like last time in the semis for this oldies.we should hope atleast now sanity prevails dube will be replaced with jaiswal instead of utter foolishness from Dravid and Rohit

South Africa's batting stops at 6. Jansen can bat. But if he comes in way too early he may not be able to manage. That is the weak spot that India would want to target. 3 wickets will lead to that situation.

Best two teams are in the final. First trophy for RSA and first trophy for India since 2011. Interesting to see how RSA deals with Axar and Kuldeep.

South Africa's batting stops at 6. Jansen can bat. But if he comes in way too early he may not be able to manage. That is the weak spot that India would want to target. 3 wickets will lead to that situation.
Jansen and Mahajaraj both can bat, but yeah top heavy team. However, can be very destructive if things go there way.

India are experienced and have all bases covered , for SA it will be new territory playing a WC final

Best two teams are in the final. First trophy for RSA and first trophy for India since 2011. Interesting to see how RSA deals with Axar and Kuldeep.
We won CT in 2013. Not sure why people always forget this. Ok, we got thrashed by Pak in 2017, doesn't mean 2013 didn't happen :cry:

SA's game to choke again I think. They never experienced the pressure of the final and they have extra pressure on them because they are termed as chokers by the whole world. These things can work against you 90 out of 100 times.

Good batting wicket. Arguably the best in Caribbean. Bat first take advantage and score big 170-180. It will be difficult for the chasing team.

India scored 171 on yesterday’s terrible pitch, then on this good pitch, they will go above 200

Two top teams who are hated and disliked for no major reasons but time and again, they have played absolutely fantastic cricket and entertained fans like none, will play the Finals.

My condolences to Pakistani, English and Australian fans for just being a spectator for tomorrow's much awaited WC Final.
Proteas are hated?

I'm hoping my Indian brothers here get a win finally mainly cause I like rohit as a captain even if some people here don't.

Also if rohit gets a trophy then he can retire in peace atleast in t20. In odi he likely would have retired had he won't the wc

Rohit won 2007 World T20. His debut tournament.

If there's juice in the surface for SA pacers they can win. If it's a slow turner SA should already start packing their bags

If there's juice in the surface for SA pacers they can win. If it's a slow turner SA should already start packing their bags
This wont be perth or Melbourne. Virat like the 2022 t20 famous match against PAK relishes pace so does Rohit. Surya is good against pace too. Pant is no bad. Its only shivam dubey who has nominal role in the team who is weak. Axar/Jadeja are handy with pace, if not great.

Barbados is an even wicket with equal help for batters/bolwers. Slightly on the higher bounce but not to the extent SA can run through India.

I'm hoping my Indian brothers here get a win finally mainly cause I like rohit as a captain even if some people here don't.

Also if rohit gets a trophy then he can retire in peace atleast in t20. In odi he likely would have retired had he won't the wc
As an Indian fan, I was rooting for pakistan and did not like when Pakistan lost to ENG when they had a chance in 2022 final .

Having admired the trio of wasim/waqar/shoiab and growing up in the 90's watching them, I am surprised some of the pak fans can not stand India winning the final despite duo of great players like rohit/kohli who are liked across the border too.

Only time Virat will wake up is when there is pace and bounce. His trigger movements are suitable on such pitches like he woke up at the MCG. Remember he was in terrible form coming into 2022 world T20.

As an Indian fan, I was rooting for pakistan and did not like when Pakistan lost to ENG when they had a chance in 2022 final .

Having admired the trio of wasim/waqar/shoiab and growing up in the 90's watching them, I am surprised some of the pak fans can not stand India winning the final despite duo of great players like rohit/kohli who are liked across the border too.
Naw me, @Rana And alot of others like the Indian cricket team mainly because they are a professional unit and a world class unit. The only issue I have with Indian team is the rohit and kohli dosti yaari group where kohli ended up getting extremely angry at an interviewer for suggesting that rohit should be dropped for poor form in 2022 and new blood should be tried.

Kohli made it clear that no matter which new talent comes be it Gill or kishan( Gill and kishan were the newbies that day) they both ain't opening side by side.

But these 2 having a friendship isn't nearly as bad as what babar does with an entire circus.

Jury is out on Markram as a torpedo. I think DeKock and Kohli are both due a big inning. Big players that haven't clicked
law of averages. Rohit sharma is due a failure( batting in great rytham with form. Got lucky with a dropped chance). I am guessing kohli and pant will fire with rohit set to have an off day. deKock may fire for SA.

law of averages. Rohit sharma is due a failure( batting in great rytham with form. Got lucky with a dropped chance). I am guessing kohli and pant will fire with rohit set to have an off day. deKock may fire for SA.
That is not a dropped chance to be fair. That was more of an evasive action as came directly at his face. So he tried to duck first then as an after thought he stuck his hand out.

Ponting's advice for South Africa in T20 World Cup final

The three-time World Cup winner plans to pass on some advice to the Proteas prior to the T20 World Cup final against India.

Australia great Ricky Ponting has revealed the advice he plans to pass on to South Africa's players as the Proteas attempt to win their first ICC Men's T20 World Cup title.

South Africa booked their place in the T20 World Cup final with an impressive nine-wicket triumph over Afghanistan in the first semi-final on Wednesday and now face fellow unbeaten side India in the title decider as they attempt to claim their first piece of silverware at an ICC tournament.

Ponting - who has coached a handful of South Africa's stars at the domestic level in the Indian Premier League and is well renowned a big-game player having won three ICC Men's Cricket World Cup titles for Australia - said he planned to touch base with a group of Proteas and pass on some advice ahead of the one-off final in Barbados on Saturday.

Ponting suggested it would be a simple piece of advice that he would provide - for South Africa's players to embrace the moment of playing in a T20 World Cup final.

"A lot of teams say 'It's just another game' and they try and hide away from how big the occasion is and it is no good doing that. it is all about embracing it for what it is," Ponting said on the ICC's Digital Daily show.

"These players haven't been there before, so enjoy tonight, enjoy tomorrow.

"But make sure everything you do leading in is the same and your preparation is the same."

Ponting believes South Africa have the talent to match it with India in the final and has encouraged them to back their skills and ability to showcase their capabilities on the big stage.

"They are undefeated upto here, so they don't need to change anything and they don't need to try any harder,” Ponting noted.

"They just need to turn up and be the best version of themselves and the best version of themselves as a team on the day and give themselves the best chance.

"If they do that, they will be hard to beat."

ICC

That is not a dropped chance to be fair. That was more of an evasive action as came directly at his face. So he tried to duck first then as an after thought he stuck his hand out.
He lost sight of the ball. Straigt forward chance, let it slip through the hands. Not hit hard either but slashed through point.

Two deserving teams tbh, unbeaten throughout the tournament. Both are equally strong to lift the trophy but India have slightly higher chances.

2023 ODI final was lost with pitch tampering and unlucky toss . Since the t20 2024 world cup is happening in Barbados, its highly likely ICC would control the pitches and would surely be a sporting wicket. Advantage India , since India won every trophy when they knocked out Aus.

2007 t20 knocked out AUS in semis and went to win the CUP
2011 ODI quarter final knocked out AUS and went to win the CUP

2023 lost to AUS in FINAL

2024 t20 knocked out AUS in super 8......may win against SA in Final ?

LOL.

That was a drop. If ball comes at your face, you try to catch it. He was fielding at gully region.

This wont be perth or Melbourne. Virat like the 2022 t20 famous match against PAK relishes pace so does Rohit. Surya is good against pace too. Pant is no bad. Its only shivam dubey who has nominal role in the team who is weak. Axar/Jadeja are handy with pace, if not great.

Barbados is an even wicket with equal help for batters/bolwers. Slightly on the higher bounce but not to the extent SA can run through India.
Only time Virat will wake up is when there is pace and bounce. His trigger movements are suitable on such pitches like he woke up at the MCG. Remember he was in terrible form coming into 2022 world T20.
It's about the bowlers.
If it's a turner Indian spinners will eat the saffers alive. There won't even be a contest.

On a harder bouncier surface there will at least be a contest.

It's about the bowlers.
If it's a turner Indian spinners will eat the saffers alive. There won't even be a contest.

On a harder bouncier surface there will at least be a contest.

India beat Australia on a pacy, bouncy batting wicket at St. Lucia.

So there's hope for India even if the pitch doesn't aid spinners too much

Back