ICC World Cup 2023: India v Australia | Final | Ahmedabad | 19 November | India innings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy final, one for the lifetime given it doesn't rain.

The last four ICC ODI WC finals can only dream of coming close to this magnitude, ironically the last World Cup final which I'd say had larger than life teams was in 2003 which also had India and Australia.

This one in 2023 is special though.

Hope it is a cracking game with two best teams who are playing well.

Hopefully, conditions does not favor any team depending on when they bat. A pitch like NZ-Ind semis or even Aus-SA semis will work because no bowling side had any advantage. Aus also has decent spin attack and pacers of both sides are doing well.

8-0 vs 10-0.

Which winning streak is about to end? pressure is all on home country India.

If SA had qualified for the final, though I would be dissappointed I would still be happy if they won as an Indian fan. But cannot bear Aussies winning a 6th time. Even if the final was between Pakistan and AUS I would support the former so that the latter doesn't monopolize WCs.
I hear you but this time is different for Australia. Australia played more as an underdog akin to 1987 WC than strong favorites in this WC.

It’s natural to side with the underdog as a neutral.

Crazy final, one for the lifetime given it doesn't rain.

The last four ICC ODI WC finals can only dream of coming close to this magnitude, ironically the last World Cup final which I'd say had larger than life teams was in 2003 which also had India and Australia.

This one in 2023 is special though.

2019 WC final was pretty good. NZ vs England game was possibly the best World Cup game of all time.

2003 WC final wasn't good. Australia destroyed India.

2019 WC final was pretty good. NZ vs England game was possibly the best World Cup game of all time.

2003 WC final wasn't good. Australia destroyed India.

If it wasn't already obvious I wasn't talking about competition wise.

I was talking about a final that catches everyone's eye based on the two team's playing.

New Zealand is equivalent to Nepal in that respect, no thanks.

Former head coach Ravi Shastri backed the India team to lift the World Cup trophy in Ahmedabad on Sunday

India to bat first 312 /5
With kohli scoring 100 again off 125 balls stat padding.

Australia 237 all out. Smith Lone ranger 75 not out.

If Ashwin plays then expect smith to get out cheaply to him (if not Jaddu will get him clean bowled).

Then India taken revenge by first beating Australia in world T20 2007 semifinals then again beating them in 2011 world cup quarterfinal.

Australia took revenge again by eliminating them in 2015 WC semi-final. They also did the same in the recent WTC final.

Guys, please stay on the topic of the thread. Talk about tomorrow's big final instead of some 20-year-old game. All irrelevant posts will be removed.

Nah when your team were lost a semifinal two day ago then its naturally to disinterested .Last time india were lost the 2019 world cup semifinal then i don't even watch a singles ball of 2019 world cup final.
exactly. me too. doesn't matter who wins if India is not winning it.

BCCICC will do everything in its power to help India. They won't get this opportunity again.
India playing final in a world cup.

India is gonna win with much help.

India are favourites, Australia once put under pressure can't recover against better opponents.

Rahul Dravid is a meticulous coach without a doubt, no Australian player should be taken lightly they will be charged up more than ever , since 99 this will be first final where Aus enters as underdog,

Shane Warne a true Champ 99 SF & F, figures 19 overs 62/8

Now look at Reiffel a penny stock in their attack SF & F, 18 overs 57/2

this is how champion teams create synergy

Pat Cummins: "In sports, there is nothing more satisfying to silent 1.3 lac crowd that will be one sided and this is our aim tomorrow"

Uggg.....

Always playing Mind games. Why are Aus so arrogant, unlikable people.

I am happy Bumrah had a bad day in Semis, I am sure he would sit with the therapist and come back stronger on Sunday.
He has never got Warner out in odi. He does do well vs head in general.

If bumrah starts spraying then it will affect other bowlers too unless shami does his magic again.

It will come down to how well bumrah handles pressure and if shami rips teams apart as usual or if indian batsmen just destroy and unleash hell on starc Cummins etc. Play out hazlwood as he looks in good form. Rest are all hittable.

Pat Cummins: "In sports, there is nothing more satisfying to silent 1.3 lac crowd that will be one sided and this is our aim tomorrow"

Uggg.....

What ? Nothing wrong in what he said. That's the mentality of a champion.

Only in sub continent stat padders and personal records are worshipped over winning real titles.

Uggg.....

As long as you lose the match we can ask the crowd to keep quiet :)

Pat Cummins looks ready to embrace the challenge of playing in front of a hostile crowd of 130,000 fans, and to silence them with his team’s performance and winning that trophy for the 6th time.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pat Cummins during India vs Australia ICC World Cup final pre-match presser:

[Reporter:]

First question, first have you had a look at the pitch?

[Pat Cummins:]

Yeah, just had a look.

And what did you make of it?

Again, I'm not a great pitch reader, but it looked pretty firm. They've only just watered it, so yeah, give it another 24 hours and have a look, but it looks like a pretty good wicket.

Has it been used before?

Yes, I think Pakistan played someone there.

So how do you expect it to play compared to Calcutta?

Yeah, hard to know I think it's been a bit more high scoring here throughout the tournament. Yeah, it's been a pretty good wicket, so yeah, hard to say.

People are already building it up as India coming hard at you for the 2003 revenge as well as the WTC Final which you also played as a captain and won it and Indians also have the home advantage. You expect the Indians to come hard at you especially when they are in a kind of form which Australians were in 2003 and 2007?

Yeah, I mean, neither player from both sides were there in 2003, so it feels a long time ago. But we know it’s going to be a packed house. There's going to be 130,000 fans here supporting India. So, it's going to be awesome. They've been playing really well, undefeated this tournament. But we know at our best we can give them a good shake. We've played them quite a lot over the last couple years with success so it's all building up for a nice final.

I mean I wouldn't be surprised the way he bowled a couple of nights ago up in Kolkata was fantastic - bowled seven straight a couple of key wickets could have easily had a couple of more. Opening partnership between him and Josh Hazelwood's going to be a big one for us. Yeah, we saw what impact they can have in a game when they bowl like they did the other night. So, they're both big game players, played in a few ICC finals now, so know what it takes.

You guys are no strangers to playing against India. As the start of the tournament, you have said that you have played India more than any other team. So just wanted to know that, have you faced any other more dominating Indian side or should I say any other more ruthless Indian side than this one?

I think it's hard to say. They've certainly played really well this World Cup. I think we certainly didn't - I don't think we scored par in that first game but we're one catch away from potentially being in front of that game. We won an ODI series here early on in the year. There's lots of moments we can draw on where we've had success against, you know, a really good Indian side.

You said you know what it takes and you've played in a lot of big games before, big tests, big ODI’s, big T20s, but 100,000 people wanting you to fail is probably something new. How do you deal with that and how does the team deal with that?

I think you've got to embrace it. The crowd's obviously going to be very one-sided but it's also in sport there's nothing more satisfying than hearing a big crowd go silent and that's the aim for us tomorrow. Yeah, you've just got to embrace every part of it, every part of a final even you know in the lead-up there's going to be noise and more people and interest and you just can't get overwhelmed. You got to be up for it, you got to love it and just know whatever happens it's fine but you just want to finish the day with no regrets.

As a fast bowler, what do you think are the challenges you face while bowling on Indian wickets?

I think, similar to a lot of ODI cricket in general the ball obviously swings for a few overs but after that there's not much swing, so you've got to try and create wickets in other ways. It's not necessarily catches behind the wicket like you might have in Australia. You've got to be brave with some of the balls you use, slower balls, bouncers, you've got to find that balance between mixing it up but also not go chasing too much. I think we've struck that balance pretty well and at least over here in India a lot of time by the end of the innings, things like cutters work perhaps better than it does elsewhere in the world.

I know you've said that you've stuck to the processes through the whole tournament but at zip and 2 and Sri Lanka none for 100, Was there ever a moment where you thought, you know - we might not make it this far?

Absolutely. Yeah. The proposition at that stage was basically we had to be flawless to make it through to the semis. And fortunately, we were. But yeah, absolutely, we knew we came up against two very good sides to start off with, but we were off the pace so we knew that we had to change pretty drastically and yeah, glad we did.

Reaching the final without a dominant show, unlike in the past, how does it feel to take on a dominant India? Does the tag of eight finalists, five winners, play a role?

Yeah, I think with experience, and fortunately some of that experience is playing in World Cups where we've been dominant. We've won before. I think one of the pleasing things is I still don't feel like we've played the complete game. Maybe against Netherlands, but outside of that, we probably haven't. There have been no huge wins. We've had to fight for every win, but we've found a way to win. And different players have stood up at different times. So, I think taking that confidence, knowing that we don't have to be at our absolute best to challenge any team we can find a way through it. Yeah, I'm sure we'll draw a lot of confidence, all the boys draw a lot of confidence from that going into tomorrow.

Has everyone pulled up okay from the other night and I suppose as an extension do you expect to go in unchanged?

Yeah, everyone's fine, yeah so, no injury issues at all so we'll, coaches and selectors haven't assessed the wicket so they'll come down tonight have a look and we'll pick a team later tonight.

Given the discussion in the lead up to the last game around Marnus and Stoinis, is there any scope, I know you'll decide that later, but potentially that if it is more a batting friendly wicket that you could be tempted into going with the extra all-rounder?

Potentially yeah, those are things we weigh up before every game. We're lucky, we've got a 15-man squad who we feel anyone can step in and perform. They're all ready to go. So, like every other game, we go through a process where coaches get together and chat through what they think or how they think the game's going to go about and then the selectors obviously pick the final 11.

Which Indian bowler or a batsman will be challenging for your team tomorrow?

I mean they're all pretty well-rounded in all departments you know the one guy that didn't play at the start of the tournament who's done really well is obviously Mohammed Shami he's a class bowler to right and left armers, so yeah, he's going to be a big one but again that these are guys we’ve played a lot – so all our batters can draw in moments where they've taken on these bowlers and done well.

The year that you guys have had – you’ve been on the road a lot, came close to winning a test series in India, the World Test Championship final, retaining the Ashes. And now, from where you were against Sri Lanka, to here, is this the cherry on top? And how would you sum up the year that you have, as captain and as a team?

I mean, it's been a huge year. There are four marquee events. If you have one of those in an off season, it's a big off season. We've got four of them. So being really proud of all those things you mentioned, not only the wins but the guys have spent, for some of the guys, probably spent less than a couple of weeks in their own bed since the end of the Aussie summer. One thing that's stayed consistent has been the morale in the group. The guys have been awesome. They're so up for every game they play. And to put ourselves in a position of this, it would just top off an incredible year and probably a career-defining year that a lot of us will look back on in years to come and be pretty proud of.

Of all the teams, are Australia most equipped mentally to be immune to a partisan crowd of this size?

I mean, potentially. We play over here in India a lot so the noise is not something new - yeah, I think on this scale it's probably bigger than we would have experienced before but it's not something totally foreign to what we've had before. Everyone deals with it slightly differently you see Davey [Warner] probably dancing and winning the crowd over other guys just staying in their own bubble – yeah it should be good.

Apart from Shami who else is particularly impressed you in this India side at the tournament so far, I think already played them once.

Yeah, I think again, they're pretty well-rounded. They've got five guys that bowl ten overs pretty much every match. I think their spinners have done well through the middle overs, Kuldeep and Jadeja, so they're going to be a tough proposition like they always are. But you know, they've won every game, so they've been very impressive.

How much importance you give to pitch going into a match? What if it suits to host side? And looking into this pitch, do you expect any change in tactics from Indian side?

Yeah, I mean, it's hard to say. It's obviously the same for both teams. No doubt playing on your own wicket in your own country has some advantages, similar to wickets that you've been playing your whole life. But we've played a lot of cricket over here. So, yeah, we'll wait and see. I think, of all the venues, perhaps this venue - the toss isn't as important as, say, a Mumbai Wankhede Stadium or other venues. So, we’ll be ready in terms of anything they'll throw at us. Yeah, we'll wait and see, but we'll make sure we have some plans.

Weather has changed. The difference in temperature after sunset and before is seven to eight degrees. Do you think that will impact in any way, kind of you decide what to do first… you said the wicket is very firm, but will it impact?

Yeah, I think the biggest difference is the dew. This city and venue seems to have more dew than a lot of the other places we play. So perhaps, yeah, that's something to think about ahead of tomorrow. Again, it might only be the last quarter of the game but once that settles in and the ball is sliding on it's quite different to say the first 20 overs where it might be swinging. So, something to consider. You’ve got to weigh up batting during the day when it might be a bit easier than under lights, but knowing that late in the second innings it could also slide on.

If I take you back in 1999, Steve Waugh’s mighty Australia, started the World Cup with two losses out of first three. And then he made his famous remark, seven to win to leave the trophy. So, this time your team also started with two losses, and now you are in the final one more to go. Do you find any similarity?

I mean, I keep saying it's a long time ago, so we can't draw too many conclusions from that. But I'm happy to draw a conclusion from that one. So yeah, I like it.

Any special plan for Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma?

We'll have a couple of thoughts, they're two class players so we'll come up with some plans but nothing specific.

In the past a lot of illustrious names have led Australia to titles. Have you thought about what would it mean for you personally to probably do that? And is the ODI World Cup still the pinnacle at least in terms of white ball cricket for you guys?

It would be huge. We were all kids not too long ago, watching some of those great teams win the 99, 2003, 2007 World Cups. That's the opportunity ahead of us tomorrow, which is really exciting. To be captain would be an absolute privilege to lift the trophy with these great bunch of blokes. So yeah, it'd be awesome and in terms of the pinnacle, I think it is right up there, it's got the longest history of a world event where all the teams compete. You only get a shot at it every four years. So even if you have a long career, you might only play in two of these events. 2015 is still a career highlight for me, so I think tomorrow if we win, we might pip it.

Australia has a reputation of knowing how to win World Cup titles. You guys are five-time champions and going against two-time champions. Do you feel like you are the favourites?

Don't know about that. I think it's going to be an even match. I think you can make a case for either side. The good thing is I think we've got six or seven guys that won it in 2015 so we know that feeling. Even more of the guys that were there in the T20 World Cup, different format, but pretty much everyone, well at least a dozen of the 15, have won a World Cup and know what it takes and know that feeling and won't be afraid to go out there and be brave and take the game on.

ICC​

What ? Nothing wrong in what he said. That's the mentality of a champion.

Only in sub continent stat padders and personal records are worshipped over winning real titles.
Nah, they just have superiority complex. This is just arrogance masquerading as champion mentality.

India would be tempted to play ashwin in the finals as australia struggled against markram's off spin from round the wicket. It will also strengthen the lower order batting.

India would be tempted to play ashwin in the finals as australia struggled against markram's off spin from round the wicket. It will also strengthen the lower order batting.
Pandya for SKY, Ashwin for Siraj would have closed the deal... That's why Pandya is important...

Uggg.....

It’s definitely press
Pandya for SKY, Ashwin for Siraj would have closed the deal... That's why Pandya is important...
will india take risk of playing Pandya who missed matches due to injury and without net practice?

Uggg.....

It’s definitely pressurising tactics…. It won’t work against invincible Indian side

It’s definitely press

will india take risk of playing Pandya who missed matches due to injury and without net practice?
Certainly not! I was pointing out his importance... He would give more options to the team... But team management took the worst option of having Thakur in the team and dropping Shami... In fact if not for Pandya's injury we wouldn't have seen Shami at all in these matches (and probably lost SF...??? Pandya & Thakur's overs would have been ideal for NZ to take advantage...!)

Good that he got injured because it has taught a lesson to our management.

Anyhow Pandya's injury would have proved costly if this tournament was played in SENA. Just like we would have got severely dented if Jadeja was injured in this tournament instead of Pandya!

Anyway's Pandya's fitness cannot be relied upon... He could breakdown at any point. Hence happy with the current combination.

Yes I do agree we should not change the team now and go with the same team... Siraj can be replaced later on after the world cup with better prospects (More changes may occur with the team as there's possibility of Rohit getting retired, Shami also doesn't have too many years, SKY is not the proper option for ODIs - we need someone who can bowl part-time spin)

Rohit
Gill
Kohli
Shreyas
Rahul
SKY
Jadeja
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah
Kuldeep

Thakur will be lethal in these conditions as the ground is big.

Rohit
Gill
Kohli
Shreyas
Rahul
SKY
Jadeja
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah
Kuldeep

Thakur will be lethal in these conditions as the ground is big.
You haven't learnt any lessons? Thakur is totally rubbish Bowler can go for plenty and we don't have any sixth bowling options. Siraj also sometimes can be expensive but he is a wicket - taker . No chance for final

You haven't learnt any lessons? Thakur is totally rubbish Bowler can go for plenty and we don't have any sixth bowling options. Siraj also sometimes can be expensive but he is a wicket - taker . No chance for final

Kohli is 6th bowler.

Last three world cup finals won by team batting 2nd so toss is not that important .

In the 2003 World Cup
Australia won 10 matches on the trot before the final
India won 8 matches on the trot before the final

In the 2023 World Cup
India won 10 matches on the trot before the final
Australia have won 8 matches on the trot before the final

Australia won their 3rd WC title in 2003
Can India win their 3rd WC title in 2023?
In 2003 Australia was the only team to beat India. In league and finals if I am not wrong.

I unable to sleep since Australia's semifinal win.
I'm so nervous 🥲
If South Africa had reached the final, I would have been relieved, but these Aussies are so mentally tough to beat.

Hopefully we will lift the cup🥹

I unable to sleep since Australia's semifinal win.
I'm so nervous 🥲
If South Africa had reached the final, I would have been relieved, but these Aussies are so mentally tough to beat.

Hopefully we will lift the cup🥹
You're not alone brother , I'm also really nervous so are most of the Indians fan's .
We are trolled for not winning any ICC trophy since 2013 so badly need a win Tomorrow .
We are really hurting after lost so many knockout game in ICC tournaments . 2014WT20 final ,2015 World Cup semifinal ,2016 WT20 Semifinals,2017 CT final ,2019 world cup semifinals , final of WTC 2021 and 2023. These were the lose after 2013 CT win .

You're not alone brother , I'm also really nervous so are most of the Indians fan's .
We are trolled for not winning any ICC trophy since 2013 so badly need a win Tomorrow .
We are really hurting after lost so many knockout game in ICC tournaments . 2014WT20 final ,2015 World Cup semifinal ,2016 WT20 Semifinals,2017 CT final ,2019 world cup semifinals , final of WTC 2021 and 2023. These were the lose after 2013 CT win .
I will fall in clinical depression if India lost the finals :angelo
God please save me...:cry::cry:😭😭

No need to go into a depression. Enjoy the game as it is just another match to watch. May the best team wins.

if he does not, India would be around 260-270. 2019 World Cup final, it was a low scoring. 2011 World Cup final again a moderate score of 274. 1996 final moderate score of 241.

I think, kohli was chasing satins 49/50'th century. I think, he would play better or the best innings in final.

I reckon 280-300 is a winning score in the final.
Yea many said wankhede will be a spinning pitch and then it so happened that 360 plus was a winning score

So I would trust no one from here tbh.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Pat Cummins said, "we were 1 Virat Kohli's catch away from winning the previous match. We've had success against this team".
Cummins forget that South Africa dropped catches that why you're playing in the final .

Pat Cummins said, "we were 1 Virat Kohli's catch away from winning the previous match. We've had success against this team".
Cummins forget that South Africa dropped catches that why you're playing in the final .
Always undermining the opposition while desi mentality overestimates Ausies. Truth of the matter is, Australia is bag average team in Indian conditions and they know it. Hence playing mind games to get under our skin.

Always undermining the opposition while desi mentality overestimates Ausies. Truth of the matter is, Australia is bag average team in Indian conditions and they know it. Hence playing mind games to get under our skin.
Yea , playing mind game but gone are the day when we were mentally not strong. Now we can play with fire with fire , agression with agression. India would have won the match even if Virat catch was taken but Afghanistan were also one Maxwell catch away from defeating Australia .

Yea many said wankhede will be a spinning pitch and then it so happened that 360 plus was a winning score

So I would trust no one from here tbh.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Because it’s the final, and also in that Pak ind match on that pitch it looked like at one point when India were batting that 280 might have been about right. Chasing 280-300 will be tough in a final I think. Let’s see, I hope it is anyway, don’t want to see a team cruise to victory that’d be a boring finale.

It will be walk in park for India. Indian batting is much more stronger than Aus. Australian middle order is a joke with smith and labu not performing in white ball.
India may post 400+ if they bat first.

Predict for World Cup final.
Winner -
Most runs -
Most wickets -
Player of the match -
Player of the tournament -

Indians will forget their win in 1983, 2007 and 2011 if they win 2023 wc. As their team is almost undefeatable. And nobody came near to winning against india. Mostly all matches were one sided. Incredible performance and sendoff for rohit and kohli

Predict for World Cup final.
Winner -
Most runs -
Most wickets -
Player of the match -
Player of the tournament -
Winner - Australia 100%
Most runs- Travis Head
Most wickets- Hazlewood
PoTM= Travis Head
PoTT= Shami but ICC would unfairly give it to Kohli

Also if India are Chasing, Kohli would get out on single figures like he did in:
2015 WC semi
2017 CT final
2019 WC semi
India lost all these 3 matches and would lose tomorrow as well

A commentary panel consisting of several stalwarts and experts of the game has been announced for the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023 Final at the Narendra Modi Stadium on 19 November.

Kass Naidoo, Ravi Shastri, Ricky Ponting, Ian Smith, Sanjay Manjrekar, Aaron Finch, Nasser Hussain, Harsha Bhogle, Dinesh Karthik, Matthew Hayden, Eoin Morgan, Ian Bishop, Shane Watson, Sunil Gavaskar and Mark Howard will bring world-class coverage to screen across the world for the final of the showpiece event.

Source: ICC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back