ICC World Cup 2023: India v Australia | Final | Ahmedabad | 19 November | India innings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winner - Australia 100%
Most runs- Travis Head
Most wickets- Hazlewood
PoTM= Travis Head
PoTT= Shami but ICC would unfairly give it to Kohli

Also if India are Chasing, Kohli would get out on single figures like he did in:
2015 WC semi
2017 CT final
2019 WC semi
India lost all these 3 matches and would lose tomorrow as well

So glad you predicted this. None of your predictions hace come true. Australia are screwed now

A commentary panel consisting of several stalwarts and experts of the game has been announced for the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023 Final at the Narendra Modi Stadium on 19 November.

Kass Naidoo, Ravi Shastri, Ricky Ponting, Ian Smith, Sanjay Manjrekar, Aaron Finch, Nasser Hussain, Harsha Bhogle, Dinesh Karthik, Matthew Hayden, Eoin Morgan, Ian Bishop, Shane Watson, Sunil Gavaskar and Mark Howard will bring world-class coverage to screen across the world for the final of the showpiece event.

Source: ICC
Throw out Manjrekar, Bhogle, Mark Howard and Gavaskar and get Athers, Pollock and Simon Doull or someone.

Ravi Shastri said while talking to the Times of India:

"Kohli is writing his own script, the kind of form he is in. Do not be surprised if another hundred is around the corner. He did it in the semifinals and he might as well do it in the final. There is nothing bigger than that."

"I think that the first 10 overs are very crucial. India have got some great starts, especially with the way Rohit has exploded at the top. That makes a difference. Similarly with Australia, if they take off, that will give them a lot of confidence. David Warner, Travis Head and Mitchell Marsh are dangerous players."

“This is the best fast-bowling attack India have ever had in white-ball cricket. There are three terrific fast bowlers and then there are quality spinners in Ravindra Jadeja and Kuldeep Yadav."

"The skill sets are so good; it lends you a lot of variety. They do not need a pitch (of a certain type) to suit them; they can go anywhere in this world with this attack."

Winner - Australia 100%
Most runs- Travis Head
Most wickets- Hazlewood
PoTM= Travis Head
PoTT= Shami but ICC would unfairly give it to Kohli

Also if India are Chasing, Kohli would get out on single figures like he did in:
2015 WC semi
2017 CT final
2019 WC semi
India lost all these 3 matches and would lose tomorrow as well
Would be hilarious to see that kohli cry in agony again when he gets our trying to stat pad like he always does.

Eoin Morgan: Winning a World Cup ‘an unparalleled feeling that reverberates through time’

Winning a World Cup is more than just lifting a trophy. It's an unparalleled feeling that reverberates through time, inspiring cricketers across borders and generations.

Former England captain and Sky Sports commentator Eoin Morgan during the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup India 2023 between India and England at BRSABVE Cricket Stadium on October 29, 2023 in Lucknow, India.

The pre-final Captains’ image with Rohit Sharma and Pat Cummins alongside the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Trophy at the iconic Adalaj Stepwell can be accessed rights-free from the ICC’s Online Media Zone.

Having experienced this euphoria after the dramatic 2019 World Cup final at Lords, I can attest to the transformative power of such a moment.

Cricketing legends like Clive Lloyd, Kapil Dev, Allan Border, Imran Khan, Arjuna Ranatunga, Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting, MS Dhoni, Michael Clarke, and their teams have etched their names in history, proudly acknowledging the sacrifices, dedication, and teamwork that define a championship campaign.

The scene is set for a blockbuster event at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, the 130,000-seater venue which witnessed the tournament opener, and will stage the climactic clash between hosts India and the seasoned Australian side.

Both captains took part in the traditional pre-final photo on Saturday at the historic Adalaj Stepwell* in Ahmedabad and will no doubt have a range of emotions swirling as they head into Sunday’s showdown.

While the day itself promises to be an awesome spectacle, the true essence of the event lies in the cricketing prowess that both teams bring to the pitch.

India, unbeaten in all ten matches, has been a revelation in this tournament. With Virat Kohli leading the run charts and Mohammed Shami as the leading wicket-taker, the team's performance has been nothing short of incredible.

However, what sets this Indian side apart is the influence of captain Rohit Sharma. Since the T20 World Cup semi-final defeat in Adelaide against England last year, Rohit has spearheaded a shift in the team's batting approach.

No longer content with merely accumulating runs, India now embrace an intimidating, aggressive style of play under his leadership.

Rohit's personal transformation is evident in his strike rate, soaring from a career average of 102 to an impressive 124 in this World Cup. The question now is whether India can maintain this mindset and apply the same methodology in the final.

Australia, a team with a rich history of five World Cup victories and eight final appearances, entered the tournament with a stumble, facing two early losses.

However, as we have seen time and time again, how you start is not as important as how you finish. Winning eight consecutive matches Pat Cummins and his team have done this and are now on the home straight.

Overcoming challenges like the absence of key players – Glenn Maxwell due to concussion and Mitch Marsh for personal reasons – showcased their resilience.

As the only team capable of halting India's unbeaten streak, Australia's ability to perform under pressure is their hallmark. Their well-drilled team, developed across all three formats, exudes a belief and confidence unique to their cricketing culture.

Emotions will run high on the final day, with Australia embracing the underdog label and India carrying the weight of 1.3 billion fans on their shoulders.

Australia's sense of opportunity, fuelled by their proven ability to perform under pressure, makes them formidable opponents.

India, having harnessed the support of their fans throughout the tournament, face the challenge of converting that energy into performance without succumbing to the pressure.

As the players take the field, the culmination of hard work, dedication and sacrifice will unfold. The final is not just a match, it's an opportunity to create a lasting legacy, a moment that will inspire generations of cricketers and fans worldwide.

May the best team seize this historic opportunity and leave an indelible mark on the rich tapestry of cricketing history.

ICC

Aussies to win if India makes errors and Aussies play their best

India's World Cup 2023 in a nutshell.
View attachment 139222
All this will account for zero if India doesn't win tomorrow. Though I am more at ease for tomorrow as compared to the SF against NZ still considering our ICC tourny history in past 10 years creates a few butterflies. Like Rameez Raja said even if India performs 80% they should be able to win like the match in Chennai. Hope its not a collective failure like in 2017 or 2019.

All this will account for zero if India doesn't win tomorrow. Though I am more at ease for tomorrow as compared to the SF against NZ still considering our ICC tourny history in past 10 years creates a few butterflies. Like Rameez Raja said even if India performs 80% they should be able to win like the match in Chennai. Hope its not a collective failure like in 2017 or 2019.
Agree .Rohit need to play little bit carefull against Starc and Hazelwood.
Dont want to repeat brendon mccullum type dissmal against starc .

Indian team at Narendra Modi Stadium in ODIs:

- Won
- Won
-Won
- Won

The best 4 teams played in the semis
The best 2 teams in the finals tommorow.
Cheers - India - Do us proud!!

Reactions: OMB
These two teams play each other a lot. All these players know each other for more than 4 or 5 years. They both know their weakness and sterngth very well. So there won't be any surprise. It is a matter of who is turning up on the day. They both start 50/50. Erase everything. New day. New match.

I am wary of Warner and Zampa
India need to disrupt these two asap.

The way Cricviz and Nathan Leamon put it.

The biggest predictors of World Cup success are in order

1. Rapid scoring batting lineup for previous 2 years (IND, SA, OZ, ENG in top 4)

2. A strong W/L record for 2 years ( IND , PAK, OZ, SA in Top 4)

3. Squad experience with max number of players who have played 75+ matches (OZ, NZ, IND, ENG in Top 4)

Only India and Australia had all 3 of these predictors in their favour and both are in the finals.

Difficult to call favourites here @Markhor
And there are people who still say looking at data to identify patterns is a waste of time.

You'll know more about the Indian team than me but it's their World Cup to lose. I've never seen India bat with such sustained aggression, especially in the Powerplay, as they are now.

It's now about whether they can handle the pressure and continue this style of play even in a final.

Presser with Rohit Sharma on the eve of the WC final

[Reporter:]

This team, you don't know what's ahead, and you don't know what's behind. Whatever it is, it's just this moment now - How much time did it take to inculcate this and what is the benefit of it?

[Rohit Sharma:]

See, whatever preparation we did for this day, two years ago, when we started, since I became the captain, we have prepared for this day.

We had T20 World Cup, the Championship - World Test, and now this. So, for all three formats, we had to prepare, identify players, which players could be the right ones for which format. We did this process; it was a two-and-a-half-year process. We identified that these players will take part in three different formats at different times. And they were given role clarity that this will be your role. The team, and the role clarity was given to them. We identified the basics of a captain and a coach and told them that this will be their job for the team.

I think till now, the role clarity has played an important role in reaching this far. Whether we Perform well or not is another thing, but as long as all the boys are playing, if it is clear, then the work becomes a little easier. We put a lot of effort into playing with a clear mindset, identifying clear roles, and which boys will come and bat, which boys will bowl, which boys will stand in the slip. We had planned all this. Till now everything has been good. Hopefully, the tomorrow will be the same.

Rohit, how is it to take on a not so dominant Australia, but does the tag of five-time champions, you are keggy about it or how is it that?

No, I mean, I don't agree with not being dominant. They've won eight out of eight, the last eight games that they've played. And they played it really well. So, it's going to be a good contest. Both teams deserve to be at this stage playing the finals and we do understand the importance of what Australia can do. They are a very complete side and for us again what is important is to focus on what we want to do as a team and I have said it many a times in the past in this tournament and even now I will say the same thing that we don't want to worry about what the opposition is and what kind of form they are in and all of that. We need to focus on what is important for us, what we need to do as a team and as players as well.

A lot of focus and a lot of time is given to that thought and we will stick to it.

The nation wants to know whether the team is calm, quiet, and composed for the final?

Come to the ground you will see the players. It's obviously an optional training, not everyone is here. Because, I mean, before the game, usually we keep an optional training so that the guys can do what they want to do. But yeah, leading up to every game, we've been quite composed, quite calm about what we want to do. Because we know how it is outside the environment that we have. We know how it is, and the expectations, and the pressure, and the criticism, and everything. So, it's important that we stick to our strength our group and what we want to do as a team. This is not just now this has been happening since game number one. That we have tried to maintain that calmness around the dressing room. Even on the field, when there is a situation where we have been put under pressure, we try to stay calm and just react to that pressure.

No, I wanted to know this because on the eve of the final, that is important. It's a different match altogether. And not many players have played or took part in such a final.

Yeah, absolutely right. But inside, what they feel, I can't tell you because I'm not spending 24 hours with them. So, I don't know how each individual will be feeling. But when they are around the group, around our meetings, around our trainings, everybody seems to be quite relaxed and calm. Like I said in the last PC as well, I was asked about dealing with pressure. I said, being an Indian cricketer, you have to deal with pressure. There is no doubt about it. So that's given and it's there. It's going to be constant. Today we are playing, tomorrow someone else will play, day after someone else will play. They have to deal with these kinds of pressure, criticism, and everything. Accolades as well. I am not just saying criticism. You guys have praised a lot of players as well. So, everything is included. You have to deal with it as an elite sportsman, you have to deal with all these kind of things.

Seamers performance 54 wickets between 3 and 31 by spinners Is it the best you have seen as a player and captain to perform as a professional group of bowlers, glimpses of which was seen in Colombo during the Asia Cup?

Yeah, I can say that. I mean, the bowlers have actually done a great job for us in this tournament. When we started off, we were chasing in the first four or five games and to restrict teams below 300 on Indian conditions was a great effort. So, it's not been easy. Containing batsmen, restricting the opposition is not an easy job. But our seamers and the spinners did that perfectly. And then again, the second half of the tournament where we had to defend scores, we've defended quite clinically as well. So, I can say that they've been very professional. They know what is expected out of them. All the three seamers that have played in the second half, Shami, Siraj, Bumrah, they know exactly what is expected and how they want to go about doing that stuff. And the same for the spinners as well. The spinners have come in where we wanted to take wickets in the middle overs, and they've done that. So, all I can say is they've been quite professional about doing their job and getting the job done for the team.

You said that you can't tell us much about the players, what they're thinking, but outside the stadium, there are slogans that only India will win. For you personally, emotionally, or with those players with whom you have spent a long time, how do you see this day, because it is often said that this is the World Cup final - nothing bigger than this can happen. It's been a long time for you playing cricket. So, you and the players around you, with whom you have spent time, how was it emotionally for you?

No, see, emotionally it's a big thing, a big occasion. Without a doubt, because whatever hard work and dreams you have, you have for this. And tomorrow, that day will be in front of us. But see, the biggest challenge for professional athletes is how you can put all this aside and focus on their work. So along with me, all the other 10 players who will play on the ground tomorrow, their focus will be more on their work for the team, rather than thinking about, this is the biggest moment of my life. Of course, it is. There is no doubt. Back of the mind it is there. You can't hide from that. But it's really important to remain calm in such situations because if you are calm and composed, then you can play your role as a team well. You can make good decisions in the pressure situation.

If you are batting, what shots are to be played at this time, and what shots are not to be played. If the bowlers are putting the ball under pressure, then what do you what to execute for the team, which batsman's strength is where, where not to bowl. So, to execute all this, you need to be calm. So, I think the focus of the boys will be more on this. And then, this is an occasion, as I said, the occasion is very big. You don't get such occasions every time. You don't get a chance to play in the finals every time. And for me, this is the biggest event. World Cup 50 over. Since childhood, I've grown up watching the 50 over World Cup. So, for me, this is the biggest moment. But I know that I have to focus on what my team needs me to do. And I want to put aside everything else for a while.

You have been phenomenal as a batsman as well as a captain. Just wanted to know what has been the role of the coach Rahul Dravid - who has largely stayed in the background, very understated. What has been his role in the leadership?

No, his role has been absolutely massive in terms of getting that clarity, which I keep talking about. There's one thing for me to think about and the other thing for coach to not agree to certain things. Clearly, looking at how Rahul himself has played his cricket and how I am playing these days, obviously it's quite contrasting. For him to agree and give me that freedom and liberty to go and play the way we want to play, that says a lot about him.

Also, the way he stood by the players in difficult times where during the T20 World Cup, we had a good run up until that semi-final and we lost and how he reacted to certain situations and informing the players about this is what we are looking at and all of that says a lot about him as well. And obviously, what he has done for Indian cricket is massive. And he also feels that he wants to be part of this big occasion. And it's for us to do it for him.

I just want to know, while talking about players and helping them and them knowing there's clarity of roles, et cetera, can you talk a little bit - I know it's oft repeated, but about Shami. And how did you kind of handle him in trying to overcome the issues that he was having?

No, no, I mean, yeah, see, it was tough for him to not play the initial part of the World Cup, looking at him being one of the senior bowler for us. But he was there for the team. He was there to help Siraj, he was there to help Bumrah in whatever ways he could. And that shows the quality of him, you know, being the team man that he is. And it was very clear, we had a chat with him about why he missed out and everything. And then, obviously, on the sidelines, he was working on his bowling. And then, I mean, the results are there for everyone to see how he has come back from that. That shows the kind of mental space that Shami was before the World Cup and even now. It's not easy not being part of the team and then come out and do the job that in the way that he has done for us. Says a lot about him. But when you're playing a team sport, people do understand why x, y, z have to miss out on certain occasions, because there's a lot that goes into getting your 11 right. That depends everything on your conditions, the opposition, and the balance that you want to create. It was just that and then once the opportunity opened up for him, he was right there. And that we all can see with his performance.

We saw Ashwin batting and bowling yesterday. And we saw that the spinners did a great job in the last few matches. So, are we planning to play with three spinners tomorrow?

No, look, we haven't decided anything yet. But anyone from 15 can play. Opportunity is for everyone. We will assess the wicket today and tomorrow and decide. We have 12-13 wickets fixed. We will have to see how the wicket looks tomorrow, and what it is, what our strength is, what their weakness can be. So, we have to look at all this. We haven't taken any decision as to what will happen to our 11 players. But I want all the boys to be available and then we will decide who to play tomorrow.

Australian captain said that he has an advantage that he has 6-7 players from the team winning the 2015 World Cup. Is this really an advantage?

No, look, in my opinion, that can't be such an advantage. Because I can understand from which angle he's speaking. Because they are experienced players. They have the experience of playing the finals. But I think when you play such a tournament, and we're talking about eight years later, I think the players' current form, current state of mind, is more important than that. Our team has also played a lot of finals. We haven't played in the World Cup finals, but we've played in a lot of finals. There are two boys who played in the World Cup finals in 2011. Ashwin didn't play, but Virat did. As far as such finals are concerned, I think there are a lot of players in the team who have played in finals. They know how to handle a pressure situation. So, I don't think there will be any extra advantage. I mean, that's their thinking. Our thinking is a little different. We just have to continue the way we've been playing our cricket and then let's see what happens.

Temperatures are different, I ask the same thing in the morning. What do you think will be the difference and how do you think is wicket in present condition? You were talking about 35 days ago and now it's the same wicket. What is the difference in that? Have you noticed anything or what do you think about the wicket and the weather conditions?

Yeah, I mean that wicket, there was no grass on it. This wicket has some grass on it. You know that wicket looked a lot more drier than this one - I don't know again maybe you know we still I still haven't looked today how the wicket is but from my understanding obviously it's slightly it's going to be on the slower side. But again, tomorrow we have to come and assess what it is like. It's not going to change too much, but it's always nice to see the pitch on the day of the game and then assess what you want to do. That is something that we've maintained for a long period of time and that is something that we've done before as well. So, it's not something new for us to come and assess the pitch on the day of the game and the players are aware of it as well.

But In terms of the conditions changing, yes, the temperatures have dropped a little bit. I don't know how much of a dew factor there will be because against that Pakistan game when we trained before the game, there was a lot of dew but there was no dew during the game. And even a few days back at Wankhede, we were training, there was a lot of dew on the game day there wasn't much so that's why I keep saying the toss is not going to be a factor, you've got to play well to win the game regardless of you know the conditions and the temperatures you've got to play well you've got to play good cricket absorb the pressure whenever the pressure has been put on you.

So yeah, I think that's where it boils down to. You've got to just understand what is expected out of you at that point in time.

Years back there was an India – Australia final – in 2003. Do you have any memory of that match, did you ever think you will play against Australia after 20 years. And that Australian team had an aura that before any match, they felt they couldn't beat this team. The way this Indian team has played so far, do you think there's a similar kind of aura, even without the World Cup trophy?

No, look, I don't believe in that aura and all that. Like I said, you have to come to the ground well and play good cricket. I don't believe in what we did in the last 10 matches. Of course, it's important to have confidence in such matches. We played 10 matches well. But again, if you make mistakes tomorrow, then whatever good work you did in those 10 matches, it's a chance to get wasted. So, I think, keep yourself balanced, keep yourself calm, don't think about the future, think about the present and play your game. The mantra we have followed is this only, we haven't brought the past game into this game, or what happened in the past or what's going to happen in the future we haven't thought much about all that, we have only thought about who the next opposition is and how we have to play cricket against them and what is our strength and what is their strength, how to explore their weakness, and how to increase our strength. We focus more on all this - not what happened 20 years ago. And I don't think we want to think about such things and do that much. We want to think about the present and prepare well.

You played the final of the ICC tournament. 2007 was the T20 World Cup. When MS Dhoni was the captain, you were very young at that time. He must have given you a message before the match or the final. Now you're the captain, World Cup final. When you meet the team huddle or team meeting, what's your mantra, what's the message to the players?

There won't be any changes. The way I just told you, the way we've been playing, we'll like to play the same way. There's no need to give a different message. In 2007, I don't think MS gave a different message. The way we started; we played the final the same way.

You must have a captains speech.

No, nothing like that. The normal discussions we have during the game, before the game, they are normal discussions. Other than that, there is no discussion about anything else.

This World Cup, you have been ultra-aggressive. So, what is the philosophy behind it? Is it because you have solid batsmen to follow? You have always been attacking batsmen, but particularly in this World Cup you have been ultra-aggressive. Anything you can say about that approach?

Look, honestly, before the start of the World Cup, I do wanted to play in a certain manner. I had no idea that it is going to come off or what if it doesn't come off. I had plans for both, if it comes off what I'm going to do in the next game, if it doesn't come off what I'm going to do in the next game. But like see for me what is important is because I start the innings, there is a bit of freedom there for me to go and express myself but you must have seen in that game against England where I had to change my game a little bit once we lost a few wickets and then I had to change my game a little bit. I'm prepared to do that as well. That is what the experienced player needs to do. You can't just think that you have to play one way. You have to adapt quickly and knowing the situations that are there in front of you. So, I am prepared to do whatever role I feel at that point is right for the team. So, I have prepared my game, prepared my tactics around that. So, I am pretty clear in what I want to do as a batsman. You know when you play on good pitches, you sometimes you get that feeling that it's a good pitch, you can take on the bowlers. Sometimes if you see the ball is just, you know, nipping around a little bit, you need to try and understand what are your thoughts then. So, I'm prepared to take all of this thought into the game and then go about it.

We started this tournament, a lot of us were here in Chennai when the tournament began. It was your press conference before taking on Australia. It was the tournament opener. And there was the question of unfinished business. And a lot of us remember that one line you said. It was very nonchalant. And you said, it'll be nice to win a World Cup. Is that an attitude that has helped in your campaign? Not the aggressive, we want to do this, we want to get that, has that understated, quiet sort of a presence helped you in your campaign so far? And coming a full circle from that point to here, what would you say?

Yeah, no, exactly. Like you said, spot on because that's what I believe in. You know, just going there and, keeping it nice and easy, calm. Like I said, when you asked me that question, I said, Yeah, it'll be nice to win the World Cup. In the same tone, I want to say it now again, the same thing. It'll be nice to do it because we've worked really hard for it. But again, we don't want to get too excited about it, or you don't want to feel too much pressure about it. A nice, balanced atmosphere, a nice, balanced thinking at this stage will be really nice. And it's just not from me. I can sense that from every other player as well in the changing room that you know there's a laugh going around in the changing room, there's a bit of tensed faces as well I'm not going to hide that but that's normal. That is why this sport is so exciting because you see all different kind of emotions. But obviously when it's the game time, guys are very well aware of what needs to be done now. We don't need to tell them specifically that, OK, now put your game face on. It's time to get the job done and all of that. Guys are quite experienced. Not many have played the finals, but like I said, playing for India is as good as playing any World Cup game because there's so much pressure. There's so much expectation. Always at the airport, you're going here and there. You have to win the World Cup. You have to score runs. You have to score 200. You have to take five wickets. So that happens. So, it is in your ears all the time. I've seen guys starting started to wear headphones now so that they can keep the noise out but it's nice you know we have enjoyed our journey thoroughly till now so yeah just one final push now.

This has been an interesting journey for you yourself. 12 years back at home, you were not a part of the team. But today, you're leading this side. Talk to us about your journey and how does it feel today.

Look, I mean, I don't want to go back there. It was a very emotional period. I think I'm sure Everyone knows about it. It was a very hard time. But again, now I'm very happy that I'm at this stage where I'm leading the team into the final. I never thought it will happen. But things do happen if you wish for it. And if you dream big, all these things happen. So yeah, I'm just very happy to be here. But I know the importance of tomorrow. So, I just want to keep it nice and relaxed and calm and not get too emotional thinking about what happened in 2011 or what can happen tomorrow. I just want to create the same environment that I created for myself when we started this World Cup. We were all in great space. We are all in great space now. So, I just want to maintain that. Like I said, don't want to go too up. Don't want to go too low. Just nice and balanced.

So, do you have in mind to go with 6 bowlers in the final or 3 spinners and 2 fast bowlers? Did you think of anything like this? We have seen that Ashwin has always been a strong contender against Australia.

I have just told you that all options are available. I don't want to say anything right now about what we're going to do and what we're not going to do. But all the players know this. We talked about this at the start of the tournament. Any player can play anytime. So, the player doesn't have the mentality that I have won the tournament, I will relax. There is no such feeling. Because everyone knows that there can be a chance to play anytime. Like you saw, there was an injury, and then two boys got a chance. Guys have done that job perfectly. Shami and Surya. Surya didn't get a chance to bat much. But Shami, you know, came, and did the job well. He could have relaxed his mind easily. He could have said, I think I am done, they won't make me play. But all cricketers are quite professional. Everyone knows that a chance can come anytime. This is the World Cup. It doesn't happen every year. So, being mentally ready is very important. I think I will keep 15 people available for tomorrow. And then we'll see who will play.

You've spoken this year a few times about wanting to create a brand of cricket for your team in other formats, but especially one-day cricket. So just the way you guys have played in the last 10 matches, do you think you created that brand and set the standard just internationally going forward, regardless of what happens tomorrow or in your head are you going, what brand and all – just win the game!

No, brand is important. If you have decided something we have to go and implement that and I thought guys have implemented that you can see with the scores that if we have put up on the board the way we've gone about our chases obviously you know all seven cannot just go and play widely and play that brand of cricket. Obviously, the roles have given to certain individuals as to what their roles are for this team and what can benefit the team. And I think 99.9% we played that brand of cricket. 1% that 0.1% I have taken out because you cannot always be perfect. That's why I have just taken out that 0.1% but I am very pleased with the messaging that Myself and Rahul has given to the boys and boys have responded to that pretty well. Without worrying about their place in the team, without worrying about the scores that they get, and without even worrying about what happens outside. That is the most important part, because that environment that we've created is a very special one and we want to maintain that environment as long as possible and not get faced by what happens outside or what people talk or if the score doesn't come from individuals, I don't want them to change the thought process that they were in before the start of the tournament. So, all those things are very clear with everyone. And I thought in this entire 10 games that we played; we were quite straightforward with that thought.

While talking about playing against Australia, you guys are quite familiar with playing against Australia. You have already played two ODI series against them in this year. So just wanted to know, does this familiarity at all help in a big occasion like this?

No, it does help. I mean, see, look, those two ODIs are not going to matter too much because all their players play with you all the time in IPL teams and all that. So, you know the mental side of XYZ player, what they think and how they go about playing each game and likewise they also know about what we do so I don't think that unknown territory is a situation these days because you're quite familiar with you know what each individual is all about and how they want to prepare themselves and what the mindset they will have while playing the World Cup final. We are quite aware of you know how each individual is going to approach and probably it's the same for them as well. They will know what we are going to do. So, it's just going to be a battle between bat and ball tomorrow, more than knowing each other as such.

Guys who are possibly going to play their last world cup match

1) Rohit sharma ( for sure)
2) Jadeja ( most likely)
3) Shami ( most likely)
4) Kohli (somewhat likely)
5) Starc ( most likely)
6) Smith (for sure)
7) Warner (for sure)

We are going to lose a great set of players from this era. Hope this is a spectacle

2) Jadeja ( most likely)
3) Shami ( most likely)
5) Starc ( most likely)
6) Smith (for sure)
7) Warner (for sure)

We are going to lose a great set of players from this era. Hope this is a spectacle
Not sure of others but Emperor Kohli will play next WC

I will be very happy if India play Ashwin instead of Siraj.
Inclusion of Ashwin means we have a solid depth in batting.
I think team is good enough as it is with 7 bats.
Need to get Warner out early. and to attack Zampa outside the crease.

No need to go into a depression. Enjoy the game as it is just another match to watch. May the best team wins.

It's just another match to watch? Speak for yourself.

People have more money on the line than usual, people haven't been able to sleep due to this match, there is way more external interest, the players themselves are more of a nervous wreck, the ticket prices are more expensive, whole India will essentially be on lockdown, I can go on and on.

You should know better.

It will definitely a spinning track as india will be looking to use home advantage

2) Jadeja ( most likely)
3) Shami ( most likely)
5) Starc ( most likely)
6) Smith (for sure)
7) Warner (for sure)

8) Suryakumar Yadav
9) Hazlewood
10) Mitch Marsh

No way these lot are playing in South Africa.

Besides, Kohli is definitely playing in 2027. BCCI will even give some age reversing serums to him to make him play just for the eyeballs and $$$.

8) Suryakumar Yadav
9) Hazlewood
10) Mitch Marsh

Besides, Kohli is definitely playing in 2027. BCCI will even give some age reversing serums to him to make him play just for the eyeballs and $$$.
Yea.. They are abusing the reach of Kohli like anything. So i won't be surprised if he plays every format for foreseeable future. I don't think they care about India winning or losing as they make money

8) Suryakumar Yadav
9) Hazlewood
10) Mitch Marsh

Guys who won't be there in 2027 wc --
From ind - rohit kohli klrahul jadeja shami ashwin shardul
From aus- Warner marsh smith labu Maxwell? Starc Cummins hazlewood

Kohli cant and shouldn't be playing till 2027. Tine for younger guys to come in. Same with aus team

Guys who won't be there in 2027 wc --
From ind - rohit kohli klrahul jadeja shami ashwin shardul
From aus- Warner marsh smith labu Maxwell? Starc Cummins hazlewood

Kohli cant and shouldn't be playing till 2027. Tine for younger guys to come in. Same with aus team
It is definitely end of an era. So many players will exit. Williamson/Root won't be there as well.

Hardik Pandya's Video message for India ahead of Final between Australia vs India:

Dont't mean to be rude but curious to know why did Pandya make this video?

He says Team India I am proud of you, we're all with you, who does this guy think he is?

He isn't the captain, he isn't the prime minister, he's not Kohli, Sharma, or Bumrah.

That's like Imam giving pep talk to the boys.

More than 6,000 security personnel will be deployed in Ahmedabad city and the Narendra Modi stadium during the World Cup final between mighty India and five-time champions Australia on November 19, a senior police official said on Saturday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Australian Deputy PM Richard Marles will be among the key personalities who are expected to attend the ICC Cricket World Cup grand finale in the Motera area of the city, said Ahmedabad Commissioner of Police GS Malik.

NDTV

It is definitely end of an era. So many players will exit. Williamson/Root won't be there as well.
Same for England as well- no bairstow malan roy root stokes moeen Willey topley a.rashid wood woakes - boy England will be a complete revamp for 27 odi WC . From this current 22 odi WC team - only Butler Brooks Livingston will survive!

He says Team India I am proud of you, we're all with you, who does this guy think he is?

He isn't the captain, he isn't the prime minister, he's not Kohli, Sharma, or Bumrah.

Pandya is a top player. Imam is a nobody.

Same for England as well- no bairstow malan roy root stokes moeen Willey topley a.rashid wood woakes - boy England will be a complete revamp for 27 odi WC . From this current 22 odi WC team - only Butler Brooks Livingston will survive!

130,000 silenced spectators

170 Million Naagin dancers

242 Million doing aerial firing

22 Million Daniel Alexander X accounts.

Sunday could be an amazing day where we see new memes being born.

However, I hardly ever get what I want, so congratulations India on winning the World Cup.

What an absurd post.

He is India’s premier all-rounder who is one of the first names on the team sheet. He also one of Indian’s most iconic current players and a front runner to replace Rohit as captain.

He would have played every game in this World Cup if it wasn’t for his unfortunate injury. It is a shame to see a player like him and what he means to the team miss out on playing the second half of the World Cup.

Nonetheless, it is great to see him in positive spirits. A lot of players in his position would be gutted and angry at his bad luck but the fact that he dealing with it maturely shows his mental strength and self-confidence.

Lol you never once said that last year when Pak was in the final.
Because Pakistan fluked their way into the knockouts and didn’t deserve to win the final. It would have been grave injustice.

India is no doubt on paper and performance the strongest and more powerful team,but in my view it will be the Australian mental resilience and tenacity,to resurrect from adversity that will prevail.On it's day the Aussies will blow all cylinders and conquer opposition in the manner of a coming operation.

On pure merit India ahead,but do not match the Aussie big match temperament.Reminds me of the fighting and collective spirit of Alan Border led team of 1987,when upsetting Pakistan and England.

Australian batting vulnerable in middle order,particularly against spin.Hardly so convincing against South Africa and New Zealand and were on the brink of loisng against Afghanistan

Poignant to remember how in 1983,1987 ,1992 and 1996,non-favourites won the title,who were not man to man the best sides.
To me Australia 51% and India 49%

India is no doubt on paper and performance the strongest and more powerful team,but in my view it will be the Australian mental resilience and tenacity,to resurrect from adversity that will prevail.On it's day the Aussies will blow all cylinders and conquer opposition in the manner of a coming operation.

On pure merit India ahead,but do not match the Aussie big match temperament.Reminds me of the fighting and collective spirit of Alan Border led team of 1987,when upsetting Pakistan and England.

Australian batting vulnerable in middle order,particularly against spin.Hardly so convincing against South Africa and New Zealand and were on the brink of loisng against Afghanistan

Poignant to remember how in 1983,1987 ,1992 and 1996,non-favourites won the title,who were not man to man the best sides.
To me Australia 51% and India 49%

Australia has great chance. But this "mental resilience" went missing several times recently for Australia. In Test series, 2019 world cup, 2022 world T20. They couldn't win the series in England. Got thrashed around in one test where rain saved them. THey don't choke. Will give them that. But they are as vulnerable as any other side. We are still thinking about Steve waugh's Australia.

Australia has great chance. But this "mental resilience" went missing several times recently for Australia. In Test series, 2019 world cup, 2022 world T20. They couldn't win the series in England. Got thrashed around in one test where rain saved them. THey don't choke. Will give them that. But they are as vulnerable as any other side. We are still thinking about Steve waugh's Australia.

Bilateral series don't count as much as ICC events.

They won in 2015. They won the 2021 World T20. They won the WTC.

They won 3 ICC trophies in the past 8 years. India have won 0.

Why didn't they win in 2011 and 2019. Because it was not played at home. Heck they even lost a test in Bangladesh. WTC is a bogus championship. Played an IPL worn out India in a one off game with toss favoring them. That doesn't count as much as you try to make it count. T20. lol They started horribly. Then won 6 tosses in a row and won it. Nothing to do with "mental resilience". If they batted first in any of the match they were going to lose. Another hyped ICC win.

Why didn't they win in 2011 and 2019. Because it was not played at home. Heck they even lost a test in Bangladesh.

It is kind if impossible to win every single WC.

They have won 4 out of 6 of the last ODI World Cups.

It can become 5 out of 7 tomorrow.

Australia if bat first and scores above 300 then it's their match ..
India if bat first, it's their match ..
Individual brilliance may dictate the outcome.. High pressure match , hope our bowling dept stays strong in final frontier.

Australia if bat first and scores above 300 then it's their match ..
India if bat first, it's their match ..
Individual brilliance may dictate the outcome.. High pressure match , hope our bowling dept stays strong in final frontier.
Both teams have genuine match winners. Both team is full of test match players. So they should be able to adapt. Weakness for India, longish tail. Weakness for Australia susceptible middle order.

Pakistani journalist's are worse I think. But yeah I pity the captains of our two nations. Patience of a saint.
That credit goes to Indian journos. They want everyone to salute to Kohli and India.

That credit goes to Indian journos. They want everyone to salute to Kohli and India.
As an Indian fan i am a bit disappointed with the way media behaved. For someone who is unfamiliar with cricket would think Kohli is a cricket team. They completely drowned all the contribution from others like Iyer, Rohit, Shami, Rahul, Kuldeep. Bumrah.

As much as I respect the aussies, I think India will win this. There is a steely resolve among Indians. Especially, Rohit and Kohli. It isn't unfamiliar territory too. They both lost a bunch of knockouts in the last decade and know what it takes. Gill is my Trump card for this game. He has a great record against Aussies and also on this ground. Indian batting will take the game out of Aussies hands. Indian bowling will do its thing. The crowd, the 12th man will be massive as any home game. Yes you can silence them once in a while but when the chips are down, a raucous crowd can be the wind behind the sails.

As an Indian fan i am a bit disappointed with the way media behaved. For someone who is unfamiliar with cricket would think Kohli is a cricket team. They completely drowned all the contribution from others like Iyer, Rohit, Shami, Rahul, Kuldeep. Bumrah.
Drowning others is one thing. But expecting other captains to sing praises of Kohli is the ultimate cringe.

Both teams have genuine match winners. Both team is full of test match players. So they should be able to adapt. Weakness for India, longish tail. Weakness for Australia susceptible middle order.
Weakness for Australia is playing spin and seam. When faced with a good bowling attack four times in this world cup, Aussies folded. Twice against SA, once against India and another time against Afghans. Their batting is weak unless the pitch is flat. They will surely make a difference in fielding and will bowl well.

For most of test cricket history, there were no ICC trophies. Bilateral series are what matters the most in tests. Losing four series against India on the trot is a huge deal.

Maxwell is a notorious underperformer against India

Will Cummins be bold enough to drop him!?
On the contrary, I feel there is a chance of Labu getting dropped to bring Stoinis (who can bat and bowl - kinda man with a golden arm while bowling) into the eleven.

Maxwell offers pretty good in all three facets of the game for this Australian lineup.

Maxwell is a notorious underperformer against India

Will Cummins be bold enough to drop him!?

Do you exclude a player based on history or include him based on current form and just recently playing a GOAT WC innings?

It's a no brainer.

India will be a bit nervous I think. They’d have some element of fear of losing in the final in front of their home crowd of 120K+. I think amongst both teams there might be some dropped catches tomorrow, will be costly in the final.

India will be a bit nervous I think. They’d have some element of fear of losing in the final in front of their home crowd of 120K+. I think amongst both teams there might be some dropped catches tomorrow, will be costly in the final.
There is nothing more nervous than losing a match to Pakistan infront of 120k. They did pass the test.

Pakistan are mental cowards and weak.

If Australia arr 155/2, they will score over 300.
Australia almost bottled against Afghanistan and SA. Opposition dropped some dollies and saved the day for them. Luck plays a role in these one off games.

Think India take this, they've been the best team in the tournament by a good margin and all their key players are peaking at the right time.

There is nothing more nervous than losing a match to Pakistan infront of 120k. They did pass the test.

True that, unfortunately Pak could not capitalise on the good start and collapsed like their life depended on it. I’m hoping Australia put up a better fight and we get a toe to toe final, do not wanna see Aussies bat and get bowled out for under 200.

It looks similar to that champions trophy india were cruising in that tournament too top orders made big scores. But on the final toss does matter win the toss no matter what bat first pile up the runs and final pressure will do the rest

It looks similar to that champions trophy india were cruising in that tournament too top orders made big scores. But on the final toss does matter win the toss no matter what bat first pile up the runs and final pressure will do the rest
There is Big difference as this time our middle order is performing well.

I think switching the pitch in the semi was to reduce the effect of the toss, not enhance it although the team batting first still retained a slight advantage because there was no dew and it became difficult in the last 20 overs.

Similarly, I expect that toss won't play a disproportionate role in the final. Used pitch means that the pitch slowing down in the 2nd innings would be offset by the dew factor. If there is no dew on the day, then batting first will have a considerable advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back