ICC World Cup 2023: India v Australia | Final | Ahmedabad | 19 November | India innings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Cummins chose to bowl first? Seems everyone was suggesting to bat first!

Chasing during a final.. incredibly bold decision, I suppose we’ll see if it pays off. Perhaps they’re expecting significant amounts of dew?

Wow Cummins chose to bowl first? Seems everyone was suggesting to bat first!
You have to stay under the sun for 50 overs and bat again. Plus the pressure. So batting first is generally the norm. May be Australia has some secret something we don't know.

WC 2015 semis in Aus, india win toss and put aus in, Aus win Match
WC 2023 finals in India, Aus win toss and put India win....Go India....

Hopefully the toss saazish gang was watching....if so - will not have the zameer or the Ghairaat to comment now.... :ua

Think Aussies want to know and dictate what to chase rather than face this A+ Indian attack head on without knowing what to score.

Either a suicidal or a smart decision. Time will tell. But they should have batted first. Rohit would have batted first anyways.

Australia won the toss and chose to field first.

TEAMS:
India
(Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Suryakumar Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj

Australia (Playing XI): Travis Head, David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Steven Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Glenn Maxwell, Josh Inglis(w), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins(c), Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

Chasing during a final.. incredibly bold decision, I suppose we’ll see if it pays off. Perhaps they’re expecting significant amounts of dew?
They are worried about Jadeja. I am telling you. He always gives them nightmares. On a dry wicket he can be destructive. Also Chennai test probably forced them to do that.

This is so dodgy

Come on Aussies I expected better from you. Its only IPL. Should have thought about creating a legacy instead

Aussies just didn't want to expose their batsmen to the spinners on the dryish wicket. But this works for Indian pacers under lights. Will neutralize Indian spinners. As I said, it's a tricky toss.

Bowl?

Wow I didn't expect that decision
May be because of dew. Though this is one of the rare stadiums where out of 30 matches teams batting 1st and second have won 15 each. Even in this WC so far out of 4 matches in this stadium its again 2 matches apiece. So toss is actually not a big deal on this ground.

You have to stay under the sun for 50 overs and bat again. Plus the pressure. So batting first is generally the norm. May be Australia has some secret something we don't know.
Yeah I’m very confused. Also considering how much the Indian fast bowlers have done under the lights.

Seems like Aussies think they can escape Indian spinners with the dew in the 2nd innings.
Issue is not indian spinners to be honest. It is to cope with the fast bowling trio. If they are already 3/4 wickets down before the spinners come on the match will be over.

If India hold on to their nerves, it's their game. Australia struggled to chase against SA in the last match.

I have a feeling they noticed dew last night and likely are following the history of this ground. Most teams win chasing.

I'm still a believer in batting first in finals but we'll see. On a positive note, both teams will get to do what they want to do.

I was sure if Aussies were batting first today they would have collapsed and we’d have a boring one sided final. Now we should have a game.

The loss at Chennai could also be haunting Australia as they collapsed spectacularly after batting first.

May be because of dew. Though this is one of the rare stadiums where out of 30 matches teams batting 1st and second have won 15 each. Even in this WC so far out of 4 matches in this stadium its again 2 matches apiece. So toss is actually not a big deal on this ground.
So when it's even stevens just bat 1st in a final.

Wrong decision by Australia

Dont they know Kohli and Sharma always choke in chases when playing knockouts
2015 WC semi, 2017 CT final, 2019 WC semi

Even 200 would have been enough

Both teams playing with same eleven as they had in their previous game.

Would have preferred Ashwin in place of Siraj but not to be. Hope Siraj does not drop sitters or bowl halwa balls.

India did not win a toss (that’s a one win for us over the toss conspiracy theorists, already).

As always hoping for a score in the vicinity of 300 (with the dew expected to settle in the second innings, defending anything less than 300 could be tough) from us.

Everyone calling out Cummins for his decision feels like deja vu when Wasim was being called out for batting first in the 99 final.

Ponting on screen rn, wonder how he feels about the decision.

A lot of drama / hype already and we’re not even in the actual game yet 😆

Terrible decision by Solar Panel Pat. It's a final for goodness sake. Nothing beats a mountain of runs on the board. Now in reality, you might not be able to do that but in such a big game that's your best chance.

In the 2003 World Cup
Australia won 10 matches on the trot before the final
India won 8 matches on the trot before the final

In the 2023 World Cup
India won 10 matches on the trot before the final
Australia have won 8 matches on the trot before the final

Australia won their 3rd WC title in 2003
Can India win their 3rd WC title in 2023?
2003 Final - India won the toss and decided to bowl first, lost the match.

2023 Final - Australia won the toss and decided to bowl first...!!!

SuryaKiran wing of IAf : - salute to the occasion....and most apt the stadium seat colour is the rays of the sun...awesome

Pretty brave move from Australia though. Letting the strongest batting attack to have a go at them first and then they will be taking on a challenge of the best performing bowling unit. If they win it, it would be the greatest of their WC win. It's the first time Aussies are entering a final and are not favourites.

Everyone calling out Cummins for his decision feels like deja vu when Wasim was being called out for batting first in the 99 final.

Ponting on screen rn, wonder how he feels about the decision.

A lot of drama / hype already and we’re not even in the actual game yet 😆
Wasim vibes for real

Though ground record says it's chasing team that won 3 times compared to 1 time batting first..
Australia might have considered this before taking the decision..
Point to be considered is it was India which was chasing in most of these .. Anyway bold decision, all chances that it may backfire..

Questionable? Is that the right decision from an Aus perspective.

India could quite easily rack up a big score on this deck?

Good luck to the Indian posters today.

I think both teams will be happy. Indian pacers will go all out fresh under lights for 10 overs. Rohit will bring on spinners before dew sets in. Batting first, slower pitch suits Indians better than Aussies. Batting second, Aussies like when ball comes on to bat after dew sets in. They bat deep too. Great game on the hands.

So Toss wasn't a factor after all. India would have batted by default and Aussies chose to bowl.

Both teams should be happy with the outcome.

So no toss conspiracy today, actually that is good, let see there is dew or not.
Without dew it can become tough for Australia to chase anything over 275 is ball spins

Lot would depend on Rohit's knock. Even if he scores just 50, it would put India way ahead in this game.

There may be several reasons lol One reason is they were scared of getting shot out for a real low score. Second reason less dryness spinners will be less effective. Third reason dew.

There may be several reasons lol One reason is they were scared of getting shot out for a real low score. Second reason less dryness spinners will be less effective. Third reason dew.
So if India had won the toss, we should have bowled too?

Guys, please do not make this thread a controversial thread. Stay on the topic and talk about the match instead of talking about any toss or pitch controversy here, We have other threads available for that.

Avg score batting first is 250 and its a losing score. 300 is a winnable score

I don't disagree but against this Indian bowling lineup on a dryish wicket, I'm not liking their chances.

If it was another attack then I could see a 250+ chase being achievable. Of course, if there is heavy dew that's a separate thing and definitely makes it a different equation.

Guys, please do not make this thread a controversial thread. Stay on the topic and talk about the match instead of talking about any toss or pitch controversy here, We have other threads available for that.
You guys need to chill. No need to delete/modify every small harmless banter.

You people do the same in other threads. Too much censorship is never good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back