ICC World Cup 2023: India v Pakistan | Match 12 | Ahmedabad | 14 October | Pre-Match Discussion

Which team will win the highly anticipated match between Pakistan and India?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be the 1996 WC match . All the streets of Bombay were empty . Don’t think I have ever seen something like that

Babar needs to justify his king status. Needs a ton against India. What better way to do it than "ghar me ghus ke" in Modi stadium with 1.5 lakh shouting against you.

He's well overdue vs India but my gut says Kuldeep or Bumrah will get him. Rizwan is due a failure too. Our batting rests on Shafique and Ifti to do something unless Fakhar is included.

I'm not sure about certainty to the semis, at least not for Pakistan. We are more than capable of losing to Eng, Aus, SAF, and NZ even if we beat India.

He's well overdue vs India but my gut says Kuldeep or Bumrah will get him. Rizwan is due a failure too. Our batting rests on Shafique and Ifti to do something unless Fakhar is included.
India don't know shafique so that's good. We need to win the toss and bat. Score 280 plus. Get our bowling to do the job. Shaheen magic. Have zero faith in rauf performing as much as I love the guy.

Many will say 2011 semi or 2017 CT Final but the venue, the potential crowd makes this much more epic. Also the team that wins is basically a certainty to reach semis.

Not sure about that, I don't think many Pakistan supporters will have got tickets so it will be a totally one sided atmosphere, possibly reeking of hatred which would be a shame. Hopefully it won't be like that, but we should prepare for it.

Hasan Ali seems to be bowling well. India must be on guard against him and Afridi. Nawaz could be a real threat too.
The ideal case for India would be that Pakistan bats first and scores less than 260, then nature helps us with heavy dew. :)

Not sure about that, I don't think many Pakistan supporters will have got tickets so it will be a totally one sided atmosphere, possibly reeking of hatred which would be a shame. Hopefully it won't be like that, but we should prepare for it.

That's what makes it exciting. If we win will be so satisfying.

Nothing new. 1996 QF was played with no support for Pakistan. India is a continent in itself. Hyderabad showered great support for team, Pakistan. You can expect 100% crowd support for India in Ahmedabad which can be advantage Pakistan, if they get early break throughs.

Hasan Ali seems to be bowling well. India must be on guard against him and Afridi. Nawaz could be a real threat too.
The ideal case for India would be that Pakistan bats first and scores less than 260, then nature helps us with heavy dew. :)
when ever he faces hasan ali is treated as third class citizen by kohli he will smash him then there is also rohit and gill😬

India is facing red hot Pakistan team . Babar Azam is hungry to score 1st century against India and So is Shaheen with the well. thing not looking great for India . I hope we not repeat Australia game situation where we were 2-3 .

Drop Imam Ul Haq and Shadab Khan if Pakistan wants to win...

High scoring game on one of the flattest tracks, we don't need Imam Ul Haq here as he can't shift gears.

Shadab Khan will be brutally murdered here if he continues bowl like he has in recent times..India has never faced Usama Mir before and that will bring in some surprise factor...

Tail looks a little weak but our bowling should be adequate enough with 5 best bowlers in the team if we are to have any chance in this match...

1) Abdullah Shafique
2) Fakhar Zaman
3) Babar Azam (C)
4) Mohammed Rizwan (Wk)
5) Saud Shakeel
6) Iftikhar Ahmed
7) Mohammed Nawaz
8) Usama Mir
9) Hasan Ali
10) Shaheen Afridi
11) Haris Rauf

If Pak manages to beat Ind somehow I can guarantee you 100% they will at least make to the semis. The moral booster will do wonders. They have never performed poorly in an icc event whenever they have beaten Ind. This time also won't be different if it indeed does happen. Problem is looking at the both sides' current composition I don't see even 10% of the miracle happening.
Then you never know pakistan team. This team will beat India for sure.

I don't feel that much hype around this match. Have felt more previously for the CT17 final just because it was a final and earlier in the tournament India thrashed Pakistan but Pak was coming in hot. And in the 2011 world cup, the whole vibe was just different. The the fact that even the country's leaders pulled up, and the match being one of the most watched sports events in history speaks volume to the hype and anticipation around that match. Pakistan truly felt the pressure and crumbled

This one is much much different

Not possible.. India has the best bowling attack this WC.. babar will be walking wicket against Kuldeep and even against their fast bowlers..

Rizwan and Saud are due an off game.. Shaheen is injured and is 50% of himself… our spinners are the worst.. While Indian team is in red hot form.. they thrashed Afghanistan badly

India - Pakistan man to man ranking

Pakistan 1st India 2nd
Imam - 9 Rank Rohit - 11rank
Fakhar - 13 rank. Ishan - 37 rank
Babar - 1st rank. Virat - 7 rank

Top 3 of Pakistani batting are top rank Player compared to Indian top 3
Rizwan is better wk batsman then Rahul or even he is world best wk batsman right now
Suad is playing better than Iyer
Pakistan bowling is always world class

So Pakistan is favourite for 14 October game .

I'd think Pakistan drop Nawaz for Wasim Jr... India is just too good vs spin and all these pitches are so flat.

Pakistan only chance of winning regardless of batting first or chasing, they would need to take very early wickets of their top players to stand a chance. Their batting is just crazy good and their bowling attack is probably the best in the world.

Ind looks too good here. Dont see Pak winning against this strong Ind line up. Will be a packed 110k stadium though and noise levels will be insane.

[Reporter:]

This performance must have given improved your confidence more. Looking to the match ahead where Shaheen Shah Afridi and Haris Rauf and also batsmen like Rizwan and Babar Azam are there. So, it will help you there this confidence.

[Jasprit Bumrah:]

See every team will have batsmen, every team will have bowlers. We also have batsmen; we also have bowlers. We're not preparing any special for any special team Yes, we're looking at ourselves more than the others because we've realized that if we focus on our team, we focus on our strengths everything else takes care of itself. So we are focusing on our team, our preparation. If everything that is there in our control, we control that, that gives us the best chance. So that is what our team is focusing on.

Babar needs to justify his king status. Needs a ton against India. What better way to do it than "ghar me ghus ke" in Modi stadium with 1.5 lakh shouting against you.
He came on a valid visa. Ghusa nahee hai woh.

I would gamble with the following team for the India Game

1) Abdullah Shafique
2) Mohammad Nawaz
3) Babar Azam
4) Mohd Rizwan
5) Saud Shakeel
6) Iftikhar Ahmed
7) Usama Mir
8) Mohd Wasim Jr
9) Hasan Ali
10) Shaheen Afridi
11) Haris Rauf

Indians love spin therefore playing an out of form Shadab is a bad idea, better to induct an extra pace option in Mohd Wasim Jr and get an in form spinner in Usama Mir who can also hit big shots down the order. Use Nawaz as a pinch hitter at the top

1) Abdullah Shafique
2) Mohammad Nawaz
3) Babar Azam
4) Mohd Rizwan
5) Saud Shakeel
6) Iftikhar Ahmed
7) Usama Mir
8) Mohd Wasim Jr
9) Hasan Ali
10) Shaheen Afridi
11) Haris Rauf

Indians love spin therefore playing an out of form Shadab is a bad idea, better to induct an extra pace option in Mohd Wasim Jr and get an in form spinner in Usama Mir who can also hit big shots down the order. Use Nawaz as a pinch hitter at the top
That's a ridiculously long tail, very unsuitable for a 50 over match.

If India and Pakistan make the final then it would be the biggest India-Pakistan match ever. In fact it would be the biggest cricket match of all time.
This India- Pak match is bigger than 2015 and 2019 ones for sure but 2011 wc semi's, 96 wc quarters and 2007 world t20 final trump this.

I heard somewhere that shaheen afridi isn't fully fit and he was bowling at very low speed against Srilanka.
Can anyone confirm?

If Shadab bowls the same way he bowled in past few games he can go for 100 runs. Currently, he looks to be the riskiest selection against India.
If Pakistan has to qualify for semis, then spinners have to pull up and at some point Usama has to play.

To the winners, be it Bharat or Pakistan, many many congratulations in advance. We hope you have a great journey ahead deep into this World Cup. We hope that you would not use this victory to further any political agenda. We hope that you can show exemplary sportsmanship spirit and grace in victory.

To the losers, be it Bharat or Pakistan, life goes on bro. Don’t take this to heart. Sports is for fun and not to spread hatred.

Neither country will become greater or lesser after 14th October’s match. It’s just the latest phase of the rivalry and there would still be many more chapters in this ever lasting journey.

Sports for peace!

Sports to spread love not hate!

1) Abdullah Shafique
2) Mohammad Nawaz
3) Babar Azam
4) Mohd Rizwan
5) Saud Shakeel
6) Iftikhar Ahmed
7) Usama Mir
8) Mohd Wasim Jr
9) Hasan Ali
10) Shaheen Afridi
11) Haris Rauf

r u serious? u r giving a run to Wasim Jr in place of shadab or nawaz!

ICC World Cup 2023: Former India batter Sunil Gavaskar has said that Mohammad Rizwan and Abdullah Shafique scoring centuries augur well for Pakistan as they do not have to depend on Babar Azam all the time.

Babar has had two poor outings in the tournament, scoring 5 and 10 respectively in the first two matches.

"When you are chasing 350 runs, it takes a lot. They also lost a couple of early wickets in the game. I think more than anything else, I mean, we have all known about what Rizwan can do. But Abdullah Shafique, he looked like a Test batter. The way he anchored the innings with Rizwan, it was great," Sunil Gavaskar said on Star Sports ahead of India vs Pakistan.

Gavaskar further added that it augurs well for Babar Azam as well as he would not be under a lot of pressure to score runs all the time.

"More than anything else, Pakistan would have realised that they do not have to depend on Babar. And if Babar fails, there are other batters who are there to score the runs. And I think that is such an important thing for Babar himself because the pressure will not be on him that he has to score all the time," Gavaskar concluded.

Problem is india's bowling 😂. Its too strong lol. The whole Pakistan bowling vs Indian batting drama is a farce.

Besides thakur, i don't see Any weak links.

Bumrah, Siraj, pandya, Kuldeep, Jadeja, none of these guys are easy to play.

Problem is india's bowling 😂. Its too strong lol. The whole Pakistan bowling vs Indian batting drama is a farce.

Besides thakur, i don't see Any weak links.

Bumrah, Siraj, pandya, Kuldeep, Jadeja, none of these guys are easy to play.
Sometimes the weak bowling link reaps benefits the pressure built by others. Thakur has been known to take 2 wkts in an over many times even if expensive in runs. Sometimes that is game changer.
Best idea is to target main bowlers rhythm. Thats what Aussies do most of times

let him play that's how we can get rid of both of them after the world cup :ROFLMAO:

1 teer say 2 shikaar.

Imam, Babar, Rizzu, Shadab and shaheen aren't going anywhere irrespective if their goats or garbage players. Rizzu is a goat but if he was trash he wouldn't leave, Same way even if imam wasn't trash and was a goat he'd stay.

Selection criteria doesn't apply to these lads.

Imagine if India prepare for Babar and Rizwan, then Abdullah and Saud come out of syllabus. :afridi

We need to use Saud strategically. He can nullify the threat of Kuldeep.

Recently been one sided matches but feel this one will be close if we are to win. We aren't gonna hammer them. India can easily hammer us. First 15 overs will be crucial if India get a
ahead with bat or ball then almost impossible to stop with 100,000 plus fans cheering them.

Basically we need to stay in the game and hope pressure gets to them eventually. Don't get blown away early with bat or ball.

After Sri Lanka, Pakistan should be favorites for India game.

Even though Sri Lanka attack is terrible, chasing 345 from 37-2 is never easy.

After this Pakistan should be confident of chasing even 375 vs India.

I think we are on brink of reaching semi finals.

The gulf between the attacks is unbelievably wide so you cannot say that at all.

India will defend 330+ against any team on any ground in this tournament.

Reality check incoming in 3….2….

India will murder our part time spinners especially if the wicket has nothing for the spinners. Better to go in with an extra pace option then.
Worst they will do with waseem jr either, so its better to stick with them at least they can bat and will give u something in return.

Pakistan is good but that's going too far. If India makes 375 then we are losing 100%, the focus should be on restricting them to 300-320 max and chasing it. If we bat first then we are at a disadvantage cause pur players can't outbat oppositions. No more fakhar to do that.

Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Pandya, Kuldeep and jadeja.

^^ These boys make India the best bowling team in the tournament. Only NZ can compete assuming all their players are in cause atm NZ is still playing with a 2nd string bowling team due to injuries.

Pakistan is good but that's going too far. If India makes 375 then we are losing 100%, the focus should be on restricting them to 300-320 max and chasing it. If we bat first then we are at a disadvantage cause pur players can't outbat oppositions. No more fakhar to do that.

Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Pandya, Kuldeep and jadeja.

^^ These boys make India the best bowling team in the tournament. Only NZ can compete assuming all their players are in cause atm NZ is still playing with a 2nd string bowling team due to injuries.

NZ bowling apart from Henry and Santner is nothing special. Boult is finished and Ferguson has no control.

Pakistan only has a chance if they bat second and restrict India. Even then dealing with Bhumra, Siraj, Pandya, Kuldeep and Jadeja will not be easy.

Advantage India 90%.

Our team also tends to put themselves under immense pressure when facing India in the WC.

India is also a quality team and their top 5-6 is not easy to dislodge even if the wicket has something in it. Rohit and Gill will not let Shaheen and Hassan Ali bowl in the channel and will use their feet to hit them around the off and on side and Shaheen will panic, get frustrated and then start spraying it around.

In comparison if you get lucky with an aggressive shot against Bhumra, Siraj, they will not panic and they will still stick to the test match style line, length.

NZ bowling apart from Henry and Santner is nothing special. Boult is finished and Ferguson has no control.
Naw, NZ reaching finals and dominating teams 🫨. NZ the goats of all goats. Ps: Yes their my favourite team so I'm biased. 🫡

Pakistan only has a chance if they bat second and restrict India. Even then dealing with Bhumra, Siraj, Pandya, Kuldeep and Jadeja will not be easy.

Advantage India 90%.

Our team also tends to put themselves under immense pressure when facing India in the WC.

India is also a quality team and their top 5-6 is not easy to dislodge even if the wicket has something in it. Rohit and Gill will not let Shaheen and Hassan Ali bowl in the channel and will use their feet to hit them around the off and on side and Shaheen will panic, get frustrated and then start spraying it around.

In comparison if you get lucky with an aggressive shot against Bhumra, Siraj, they will not panic and they will still stick to the test match style line, length.

Is Gill even playing against Pakistan? According to reports he isn't.

Their still monitoring him, Even after being discharged the guy looks like he hasn't eaten in decades and looks like walking Skelton.

Dengue isn't an easy disease to recover from. Even after being discharged from the hospital, it can take atleast 1 to 2 more weeks to fully recover.

I don't think we are seeing Gill until maybe semi's. Tough luck for Gill but what can you do at the end of the day.

I can’t fault people for being optimistic but the Sri Lanka match, although gave us a lot of positives , there were some big concerns in regards to the bowling department. if Shaheen is injured then I’m afraid India will have an all you can eat buffet feast on Saturday. Even if the pitch is flat this Bumrah is so damb accurate it’s just going to be too much. Everything is written by the all mighty but I think we can only beat India if they have an off day and I would rather they have that off day against us in a knockout match . India is more or less guaranteed semi finals , if we do manage to get to the semis we will probably be facing India again as we will probably finish 4th and India 1st.

I can’t fault people for being optimistic but the Sri Lanka match, although gave us a lot of positives , there were some big concerns in regards to the bowling department. if Shaheen is injured then I’m afraid India will have an all you can eat buffet feast on Saturday. Even if the pitch is flat this Bumrah is so damb accurate it’s just going to be too much. Everything is written by the all mighty but I think we can only beat India if they have an off day and I would rather they have that off day against us in a knockout match . India is more or less guaranteed semi finals , if we do manage to get to the semis we will probably be facing India again as we will probably finish 4th and India 1st.

Bumrah really is class lol. Defo an ATG bowler.

India is facing red hot Pakistan team . Babar Azam is hungry to score 1st century against India and So is Shaheen with the well. thing not looking great for India . I hope we not repeat Australia game situation where we were 2-3 .
Red hot? With Imam opening? And sheddy bowling?

They are not red hot right now because with the likes of Imam, Shadab and Nawaz in the team they are becoming light pink! :ROFLMAO:

This is a league game. Do we want to beat India or go further in the tournament?

I agree with the guy who said to rest Shaheen - he looks a total liability at the mo. Yes a fit Waseem Jr is no better, but it’s more important to get Shaheen fit for the later games. If Shaheen doesn’t play vs India that’s a 10 day rest - unheard of in a tournament. We are likely to lose against India anyway who are in red hot form. Let them peak away early.

If we have the right mindset we should aim to win the tournament, not beat India.

1) Abdullah Shafique
2) Mohammad Nawaz
3) Babar Azam
4) Mohd Rizwan
5) Saud Shakeel
6) Iftikhar Ahmed
7) Usama Mir
8) Mohd Wasim Jr
9) Hasan Ali
10) Shaheen Afridi
11) Haris Rauf

Just 6 specialist batsmen

Tail starting at number 7 👏

I tell you what's scary going into match. Sri Lanka managed to score 102 runs from overs 21-30.

Imagine what India could do to Pakistan's bowling if they bowl like that again?

400 is on the cards if the bowling doesn't improve from the men in green.

An epic thrashing is on the cards given Pakistan's bowling. A 2015 world cup match type defeat will be respectable for Pakistan. I fear for Pakistan's net run-rate in this match. Overrated Shaheen should be benched. His 130kph trundling bowling will be dispatched all over the park by Rohit.

This is a league game. Do we want to beat India or go further in the tournament?

I agree with the guy who said to rest Shaheen - he looks a total liability at the mo. Yes a fit Waseem Jr is no better, but it’s more important to get Shaheen fit for the later games. If Shaheen doesn’t play vs India that’s a 10 day rest - unheard of in a tournament. We are likely to lose against India anyway who are in red hot form. Let them peak away early.

If we have the right mindset we should aim to win the tournament, not beat India.
This is clearly the right approach. Saves his ego for the other matches. Because he will indeed get destroyed by India and his confidence will be shattered for the rest of the tournament.

The only way you can beat India is if Pakistan unearthed a completely new bowler playing for the first time against India.

India hadn't played Shaheen at his peak before the WT20 group game in Dubai and he rattled them. Amir rattled them in 2016 Asia Cup because they hadn't played him before. Junaid Khan blew them away in 2012 because they hadn't played him before. Same goes for Wahab in 2011.

This time, they have played all the major Pakistani bowlers multiple times. There is no novelty in the bowling attack. Therefore I would say Usama Mir is a must. He would still be a novelty for them even though he doesn't have much in his arsenal to break through.

I’d be tempted to rest Shaheen, clearly he’s not fit. Bowling at 132kph in your opening spell isn’t going to trouble Rohit and Kohli.

I still remember Waqar getting the thrashing of a lifetime by Jadeja as if it happened yesterday. I have probably forgotten more Pakistan matches than the number of cakes these guys cut after every minnow bashing. But maybe you are right, I probably have never known Pakistan team in all these years 🙂. What a pity!

You are wrong. Younis khan scored 14 off 33 balls. Hafeez was batting well and threw it away with soft dismissisal
Exactly hafeez is wicket was the turning point for me, he was looking good and played a dumb shot had he hung around for 20-30 runs it would have made a difference. In the end it just was not meant to be

Imam, nawaz need to be dropped.

Pakistan need to play a proper front line spinner.

Fakhar is a better option then snail imam
Hi Amjid,

Good to see you’re still here! As well as some other old faces.

As in most instances, I agree with you. I’d much rather have an out of form fakhar than Imam. A quick 20 is better than a slow 30.

Not a fan of nawaz either - so would have a batsman replace him, but do they have the balls to drop shadab for usama mir?

I’d be tempted to rest Shaheen, clearly he’s not fit. Bowling at 132kph in your opening spell isn’t going to trouble Rohit and Kohli.
132kph is fine, he is not able to bring the ball back in/in-swing not working. no control on outswing. More than speed, his rhythm is not there. Similar to 1992 wasim doing it in the final, shaheeen may come to the party in knock outs.

The only way you can beat India is if Pakistan unearthed a completely new bowler playing for the first time against India.

India hadn't played Shaheen at his peak before the WT20 group game in Dubai and he rattled them. Amir rattled them in 2016 Asia Cup because they hadn't played him before. Junaid Khan blew them away in 2012 because they hadn't played him before. Same goes for Wahab in 2011.

This time, they have played all the major Pakistani bowlers multiple times. There is no novelty in the bowling attack. Therefore I would say Usama Mir is a must. He would still be a novelty for them even though he doesn't have much in his arsenal to break through.
Amir rattled them again in 2017 champions trophy. India traditionally is spin friendly with less scope for ball swinging except 6-8 overs.

I see hasan Ali can be a threat with seaming the ball both ways and into the pitch deliveries. I think, he bowled well against SL

Maybe its time for Babar to lead by example and we can go in with the following squad

1) Abdullah Shafique
2) Babar Azam
3) Saud Shakeel
4) Mohd Rizwan
5) Iftikhar Ahmed
6) Salman Ali Agha
7) Mohd Nawaz/Mohd Wasim Jr
8) Usama Mir
9) Hassan Ali
10) Shaheen Afridi
11) Haris Rauf

Shadab has been out of form for a while and will get slaughtered by India. Better to pick Usama Mir against. I am also nervous of playing Nawaz as India will feast on him too therefore better to have an extra pace option in Wasim Jr.

I ironically have the best solution.

We bring roman reigns to India. He performs a Superman punch to Imam, Sheddy, Nawaz, Shaheen and Waseem Jr.

Then we finally bring in Saim ayub, Usama mir, Abrar, Amir and Zaman Khan as replacements.

Perform a Superman punch to fakhar as well so we can slot on haris.

Can't believe we took a total passenger in Wasim Jr to the world cup who is a garbage batsman, bowler and fielder.

We could have used his spot to have someone like a Haris or Saim Ayub in the 15.

Can't believe we took a total passenger in Wasim Jr to the world cup who is a garbage batsman, bowler and fielder.

We could have used his spot to have someone like a Haris or Saim Ayub in the 15.
He's a good fielder though. Agree with garbage batsmen and bowler and being a passenger but he's a great fieldsmen lol.

If Babar and co approach the game from the process driven pov then we can say the light at the end of the tunnel. Stick to the basics, playing each ball to its merit and delivering each ball on probing lines and lengths. That’s the only way to approach a high pressure game.

PAK just have to turn up at this point . After seeing that chase , Gill still recovering and Siraj out of form, Pakistan look a big threat on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back