ICC World Cup 2023: South Africa (399/7) destroys England (170) by 229 runs, leaving England's World Cup hopes in jeopardy

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1697822675222.png

Both England and South Africa enter this match reeling from shocking defeats in their most recent outings.

England's unexpected loss to Afghanistan dealt a severe blow to their prospects of reaching the semi-finals, leaving the defending champions with a mere one win and two points from their initial three matches.

South Africa, who started the tournament brilliantly, saw their momentum abruptly halted by the Netherlands.

The prospect of these two teams seeking redemption at the Wankhede Stadium adds an extra layer of excitement. This Mumbai venue is renowned for its batting-friendly conditions, and both sides are known for their power-hitting capabilities at the tournament.

For Jos Buttler's squad, a victory would put them back into contention for a spot in the knockout stages, and they may receive a boost with Ben Stokes expected to return to the lineup after recovering from injury.

South Africa, on the other hand, could significantly strengthen their semi-final aspirations with a win, drawing inspiration from their 2-1 series victory over England earlier in the year.

When: October 21, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai

Teams

England:

Ben Stokes, the cricketing powerhouse, is making his return. He's recovered from a hip problem and is expected to play his first match of the tournament. Well, half of Ben Stokes, at least, as he won't be taking up bowling duties. Nevertheless, having 50% of a talismanic allrounder is far better than having none at all.

The primary objective appears to be maximizing the number of seam bowlers in the lineup. The conundrum lies in deciding which seamers to include. Sam Curran, who has struggled in the tournament, might make way for David Willey. Stokes' inclusion may come at the expense of Adil Rashid, leaving Joe Root to shoulder the responsibilities of a spinner.

Tactically and strategically, England's approach has become more intricate. A team known for playing straightforward cricket for years now faces several dilemmas. Foremost among these is the question: where has England's characteristic decisiveness gone? Their prior assertiveness was notably absent in the first three games. However, a glimmer of hope emerged as their top three batsmen, Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, and Joe Root, collectively notched two fifties and a century in their most recent match against Bangladesh in Dharamsala, with Reece Topley's impressive 4/43 suggesting signs of improvement.

South Africa:

It might appear surprising that an XI who suffered a convincing defeat in their previous match would likely be retained, but that's the expected course of action. South Africa's ongoing dilemma in this tournament revolves around choosing between Gerald Coetzee and Tabraiz Shamsi, with Coetzee seemingly on track to secure a spot this time.

In terms of tactics and strategy, the plan is to score heavily and then aim to defend as robustly. South Africa's vulnerability lies in their bowling department. The Dutch demonstrated this by accumulating 104 runs in the last nine overs. While the batting unit is under less scrutiny, the World Cup's highly touted top six will be smarting from being reduced to a precarious 44/4 by the Netherlands.

Squads:

South Africa Squad: Temba Bavuma(c), Quinton de Kock(w), Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Marco Jansen, Gerald Coetzee, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Reeza Hendricks, Lizaad Williams

England Squad: Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Jos Buttler(w/c), Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Moeen Ali, Gus Atkinson

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Hell of a game we might will see first thriller of WC.
Btw on lighter note, it is normal business for us to rely on other teams to proceed. ENG win here and things will get more interesting on table.
4 teams will have 4 points each after Round 4.
NZ
India
---------
SA
ENG
AUS
PAK
I dont know which thoery is better for pakistan. SA win means 6 points for SA and they will be fav for 3rd spot, then england, aus and pak will fight for 4th spot most probably.

I think couple of upsets will again open up the table.

Hell of a game we might will see first thriller of WC.
Btw on lighter note, it is normal business for us to rely on other teams to proceed. ENG win here and things will get more interesting on table.
4 teams will have 4 points each after Round 4.
NZ
India
---------
SA
ENG
AUS
PAK
I dont know which thoery is better for pakistan. SA win means 6 points for SA and they will be fav for 3rd spot, then england, aus and pak will fight for 4th spot most probably.

I think couple of upsets will again open up the table.
We aren't fighting for any semis spot. We are done for, Afg will beat us.

We aren't fighting for any semis spot. We are done for, Afg will beat us.
I dont think so, we can debate this here

Brace yourself. Another high scoring contest. Listen to the sound of bat hitting the ball here. It is just different. Just pings off the bat usually. In for another sixer show. QDK long time home ground.

Epic game will watch it in a relaxed way unlike the agony and trauma that happened today

Brace yourself. Another high scoring contest. Listen to the sound of bat hitting the ball here. It is just different. Just pings off the bat usually. In for another sixer show. QDK long time home ground.

Give us 5 powerplays even here we won't hit a 6. Wah g wah cake boys.

If you're Buttler, don't be dumb and do a Babar. Bat first and score 320. That's the way to go. Your bowling is hardly better than PAK bowling.

Yea i think if it's typical wankhede pitch then this could be the highest scoring match of the WC. And precisely with that assumption, I am watching the game tomorrow!

England will come out all guns blazing , If I was SA coach , I would play both Shamshi and Maharaj. If those two spinners bowl well , England middle order can be tied up or get out.

We were out day Babar was born. Simple.
You think he deliberately throwing his wicket? Or he didn't want to win the match? Or he didn't want to get 50 or 100?
See everyone in team have limited skills and they did best in thier range. So instead of bashing and spitting venom, why not back your NATIONAL team?
Today some posts in match thread were below the belt, i didn't see that kind of reaction after aus loose 2 in 2 and england loosing to afghans from thier fans?
Hence it's proof that sub-continent nations are mostly aggressive and emotional fools.

As Pak fans, what outcome would you prefer here?

1) If South Africa wins, they will likely be in strong contention for the 3rd spot in the table, leaving Pak and Aus to fight over the 4th spot

2) If England wins, They will be tied at 4 points along with Pakistan, Australia and South Africa, and only 2 between us can proceed to the Semis

Pakistan team will take the first one. If Pakistan can win their remaining games then they are good to go to Semis for sure.

England won the toss and chose to bowl first

TEAMS:

South Africa
(Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram(c), Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Marco Jansen, Gerald Coetzee, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi

England (Playing XI): Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Jos Buttler(w/c), David Willey, Adil Rashid, Gus Atkinson, Mark Wood, Reece Topley

Big blow to England's chance as Bavuma is replaced by Hendricks. Most teams face South Africa thinking this is a 10 player team but England have to face the full strength side.

Could be similar to their clash here in 2016 T20 WC. Joe Root of all people played the blinder for Eng.

Big blow to England's chance as Bavuma is replaced by Hendricks. Most teams face South Africa thinking this is a 10 player team but England have to face the full strength side.
They couldn't win crap with their all star 99 to 2003 all star team without any quota affecting them. They aren't winning anything. Bonafide chokers.

England won the toss and chose to bowl first

TEAMS:

South Africa
(Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram(c), Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Marco Jansen, Gerald Coetzee, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi

England (Playing XI): Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Jos Buttler(w/c), David Willey, Adil Rashid, Gus Atkinson, Mark Wood, Reece Topley
Bowling wise. Fast bowling wise only 2 teams can match SA.

India if they play bumrah shami siraj/prasidh and pandya.

And aus if they have starc Cummins hazlewood and green

They couldn't win crap with their all star 99 to 2003 all star team without any quota affecting them. They aren't winning anything. Bonafide chokers.
Why do you think that they deserve to win world cup with the quality they have.

De Kock falls in the first over. Big wicket for Topley.
South Africa 5/1 after 2 overs

Another thing i forgot to mention. New ball swing a lot here Boult was pretty good for Mumbai indians.

One of my favorite games played at Mumbai - SA scored in excess of 400 vs India ABD and Du plessis scored hundreds.
Du plessis innings was so funny he fell on to the pitch after every 6 due to cramps

Why was bavuma dropped? Thought you needed 2 players of African origin in the team? Ah wait lungi and rabada would suffice.

SA is needlessly tentative. They should break free. I understand being careful against Topley. But they should target Willey.

Yes topley injured now. Pakistan will beat this pom team easily.

Don't wish injury but without him they are very average.

Do you rate topley?
yes. He is very tall guy. He is a bit like Irfan pathan from the hand. It starts swinging almost immediately from the hand.So it comes at batsman at awkward height and angle. So batsman can misread him. Took a 6 wicket haul against INdia in England

Ah yes when we need SA to lose then they drop the deadweight Bavuma.

SA has the chance to bury England here. But you never know whaat you will get from SA
Choker mental midget team. I have zero faith in them. They may win but I doubt they would do anything in semis. They will definitely be great losers. That is their level.

Reeza Hendricks, seems a decent player. Is he by any chance of mixed heritage?

Who was it here that was boasting about how express Atkinson is lol.

136-140 is fast medium not fast or express.

Might be the heat but shoaib even in extreme heat bowled 145 to 160.

Get real.

Wankhede is just like Chinnaswamy, small boundaries and a road for a pitch. Expecting another huge total which may even be chased by England.

That's how you treat a trundler. You brutally thrash them.

After 10 overs, South Africa is 59/1. CRR is 5.9
Good start after losing the wicket of Quinton in the very first over.

Who was it here that was boasting about how express Atkinson is lol.

136-140 is fast medium not fast or express.

Might be the heat but shoaib even in extreme heat bowled 145 to 160.

Get real.
Atkinson clocked 154 in The Hundred

Atkinson
Topley
Wood
Willey
Rashid
Stokes

Not bad. Not bad at all. Decent attack. Wood can be hit though and so can Atkinson. Topley looks good. Willey bowls hit me balls but he can bat.

Wood is bowling at some serious pace here. hitting 144 and 145 regularly. The fastest one yet is 146.1 kph.

This will be a great game. Pitch is likely to remain the same for 100 overs.
England have got rid of bits n pieces in this game. Babar loves them

Positive for Eng will be that they are chasing. On the other side they have Willey at No 7.

50 for van der Dussen and Hendricks. Can they continue to pile on the runs?

1697882256727.png

Buttler must step up here. He can even score 150 here. Will be so easy to bat here later. Whatever SA puts on the board England will have no issues chasing down.

Only problem England will face is drop in energy level after fielding for 50 overs in this extremely hot and humit weather

Look at the catch taken by Bairstow. Same type that was dropped by Usama yesterday.

Wood is bowling at some serious pace here. hitting 144 and 145 regularly. The fastest one yet is 146.1 kph.
I don't why Pakistani fans are always looking at Speed .he concenced 30 in 3 over so far. How Rauf got phainti yesterday we all know.
So Speed is nothing these day if you don't have variations

Such a boring game.
This ultra flat patta is super boring. Have some spice in the pitch for God sake.

I don't why Pakistani fans are always looking at Speed .he concenced 30 in 3 over so far. How Rauf got phainti yesterday we all know.
This is why Shami is rated highly. He bowls brilliantly on these abrasive surfaces by skidding the ball. Malinga is another who has done well. I remember Mark wood thrashed all over by Krunal pandya of all the people in a ODI.

It seems that express pace has not been able to create a big mark in this WC
It seems that express pace has not been able to create a big mark in this WC

Because speed kills. Speed plus skills help you become a top bowled.

You don't need express pace. 135-145 is very fast anyway esp3cially if you have variations like bouncers, in swing, out swing, cutters and ability to manipulate lengths.

Speed is exciting. No one wants to pay to watch trundlers bowl.

Such a boring game.
This ultra flat patta is super boring. Have some spice in the pitch for God sake.
This is wankhede you have to be spot on with your line and length. It has bounce. It has movement upfront. It is upto bowlers to use it. Everybody who plays IPL knows that. Malinga was a master here. Brilliantly bowled against various opposition on this pitch. Brainlessly bowling 145 half vollies will land in the stands

This is wankhede you have to be spot on with your line and length. It has bounce. It has movement upfront. It is upto bowlers to use it. Everybody who plays IPL knows that. Malinga was a master here. Brilliantly bowled against various opposition on this pitch. Brainlessly bowling 145 half vollies will land in the stands
Yea good point. I zoned off a bit earlier but now Hendricks reignites my interest.

Because speed kills. Speed plus skills help you become a top bowled.

You don't need express pace. 135-145 is very fast anyway esp3cially if you have variations like bouncers, in swing, out swing, cutters and ability to manipulate lengths.

Speed is exciting. No one wants to pay to watch trundlers bowl.
Yes everyone want to watch rauf conceded 59 runs in 4 over . speed is overrated

Back