India (196/5) defeat Bangladesh (146/8) comfortably by 50 runs to pave their way for a probable Semi Final berth in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
In the 47th match of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024, India and Bangladesh are set to face each other today at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua. With one win under their belt, India is currently in the second spot in Group 1’s points table. On the other hand, Bangladesh, having lost one match, is at the bottom of the same group.

In their last Super 8 match, India triumphed over Afghanistan by a margin of 47 runs, thanks to a significant contribution of 53 runs by Suryakumar Yadav. Meanwhile, Bangladesh faced a 28-run loss against Australia in their previous match, despite a commendable 41-run innings by Najmul Hossain Shanto.

dNe5w5v.jpeg

Squads:

India
Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), Virat Kohli, Rishabh Pant(w), Suryakumar Yadav, Shivam Dube, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Arshdeep Singh, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Yuzvendra Chahal, Sanju Samson, Yashasvi Jaiswal

Bangladesh Squad: Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das(w), Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Towhid Hridoy, Shakib Al Hasan, Mahmudullah, Rishad Hossain, Mahedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Mustafizur Rahman, Jaker Ali, Tanvir Islam, Shoriful Islam, Soumya Sarkar

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

These two team have played 13 T20I games in their history. Bangladesh have won only once.

Dont see any change to this pattern today. :mv India will win this one too

This is going to be a cracker game.

Bangladesh is always raised the game against india .

I would have been sceptical if it's USA. But it is Bangladesh lol who are nothing but the most immature bunch of players among all the teams including Canada, Nepal, USA, Uganda....

These two team have played 13 T20I games in their history. Bangladesh have won only once.

Dont see any change to this pattern today. :mv India will win this one too
Bangladesh should have won 2016 WT20 and 2022 WT20 matches but they choked from winning positions

Bangladesh should have won 2016 WT20 and 2022 WT20 matches but they choked from winning positions
They need someone like Tamim Iqbal to charge them from the beginning and score BIG. Then choke Virat and Rohit at the top without getting them out for atleast 4-5 overs.

Very easy to say and very tough to do. :censored:

Bangladesh will give tough fight ...they have some good batsman Litton dad ,shanto, Shakib ,mohamuddilla single handly take game away from india. Crackers of the match

This group is boring... India and Australia will go through comfortably... Other group is somewhat competitive with 3 teams fighting for SF spots... I think India should lose to Australia in this group-stage so that at least the law of averages help them if they meet Australia again in the Finals!

Vikram Rathore (India batting coach) pre-match Press Conference - 21st June 2024

[Reporter:]

Next game in Antigua could be a low scoring game the way the trend has been of late and what do you say about, how do you look forward to that game and what would be our approach?

[Vikram Rathore:]

I think we already played in the worst conditions that were possible in New York so anything after that is feeling good only. Even today felt really good. So, I am expecting wickets to be better. I mean, it won't be as challenging as what we had in New York. And again, we are equipped, I think, as a team, as a batting unit, to deal with any conditions that are put in front of us.

And you must be very happy that India has won three games, or maybe four games, without Virat's contribution. This could be around the corner sometime. I am

I’m not happy. I would love if he gets going and scores more runs. But yeah, it is good that when you are challenged at times and you know, the guys who are not getting too much of batting in India sometimes, they are the ones who put up scores today and our middle order came to play. So, it was good to see.

As we are moved on to relatively better batting wickets, I would say not batting friendly, but and hindsight is good. I know but if the four all-rounders Versus do you think now, we can Have one more batter instead of four all-rounders. Do you think that could be the thought process going forward on this type of wickets?

Again, we will take it as we come across. I mean, when we get to the next venue and see what the conditions are. But again, all 15 are in play as far as we are concerned as team management. So, looking at the conditions, we can go with any 11, which captain and coach feel are the best 11 to play on that certain day. So, everybody is in play at the moment.

When you're putting up these comprehensive victories and such complete performances, how is it easy, do you think there is an element of complacency that could slip in and what do you do to avoid that from happening?

We know we are playing a World Cup, so everybody is really motivated, we want to do well as a team and in this format especially you cannot afford to be complacent, we have to be on top of our games and we are looking forward to do that. Every game is a fresh game for us. Every game is a new game. And as a team, we have set up our own standards. And those are the standards we need to keep up with. So whichever opposition we are playing, whichever game we are playing, we need to do our best. And if we believe that if we do that repeatedly we'll be fine.

Kuldeep was expected to play a big role in the Caribbean. So, considering that and the combination today, can we expect the same to continue through the Super 8s?

Again, depending on what conditions we get in the next game.

Vikram, you had some tight contests with Bangladesh in the last several years, if you like. What is it that makes them such difficult and *****ly opponents?

They're a good unit. They have a lot of guys who can spin bowling and they are good in certain conditions. And these conditions do suit them a little as a team I think because the wickets seem to have a bit of some help for the spinners and they do have spinners in their team. But again, in this format I think every team is a tough team. I don't believe there is any contest in T20 cricket which is an easy contest. It might look like in the end, I mean today we won by almost 15 runs, so it looks easy but I'm sure when the game was on it felt pretty tight.

Vikram, you have been with the team for a while now, so in this World Cup, do you think this, at least in the T20 format, like this is the maximum depth that the Indian team has had in this format, like looking at the number of options that you have?

We've always had depth as a team, I believe. But yeah, these conditions maybe suit us more because we can afford to play two or three spinners at times. So that I believe can be our best team. That is our strength. That has been our strength. So yeah, it feels like because somebody like Axar playing at eight gives you a lot of confidence because he can bat and he's bowling really well at the moment. So, it does give you a lot of options.

Vikram, can we take a chance to change the batting order of Virat Kohli to again batting at number 3?

You are not happy that he is opening now?

Because actually it lasts so many games, he has not been performing that well in the opening.

We are not thinking on those lines. We are happy with the batting order that we have. If any change happens, that will be to do with the opposition and the conditions that we come across.

I casted my vote in favour of India.
I am practical. I don't see Bangladesh winning in any way except a big miracle.

This team's batting is abysmal. Top order almost non existent. First 6 overs has been most crucial in this part of the world. In this powerplay balls come into the bat.

Yet another one sided game. Good practice for India and Australia.

The ceiling for spirited associates and minnows is group stage advancement.

According to AccuWeather, scattered thunderstorms are expected in the morning, with a continuation of into the afternoon. The match is scheduled to commence at 10:30 am AST (8 pm IST), with foreboding signs indicated by a 70% cloud cover. This exacerbates the situation, as precipitation probabilities increase from 43% at 10 am AST to 47% at 11 am and peak at 51% by noon, posing concerns for the event.

In addition to rain, thunderstorms are anticipated after 11 AM, which could lead to a washout.

There's no provision for a reserve day in the Super Eights. If the match is abandoned due to rain, both teams will receive one point each. While this point would elevate India to the top of the table, it could also diminish their chances of advancing to the semi-finals, given the materialisation of other results going a certain way.

India could face the prospect of missing out if Australia defeat them in their final Super Eights fixture and Bangladesh secure a convincing victory over Afghanistan to advance to the last four with a superior net run rate over India, or if Afghanistan win both of their remaining matches.

Former West Indies great Brian Lara said during a show on local Indian sports media channel:

"India is going to be 100 without loss in that match if they bat first, right? And even if they bat second, they are going to be 100 without loss. Of course, Fizz is an amazing bowler. He is going to come out and threaten but I just feel that India is just too much and that roller coaster and, you know, they just seem rolling every team at the moment and that's how I think it's going to happen."

"India is very concerned about the opening partnership, and they're going to fix that against Bangladesh. I don't think that Bangladesh is going to be a threat."

"I think the Indian team expects a good opening partnership. Everything is falling into place. This World Cup is a World Cup where no team is very dominant because of the state of the pitches. But if India can solve the opening problem, and it's not a problem, it's the two best T20 players in the world, they are not going to run right now."

Former West Indies great Brian Lara said during a show on local Indian sports media channel:

"India is going to be 100 without loss in that match if they bat first, right? And even if they bat second, they are going to be 100 without loss. Of course, Fizz is an amazing bowler. He is going to come out and threaten but I just feel that India is just too much and that roller coaster and, you know, they just seem rolling every team at the moment and that's how I think it's going to happen."

"India is very concerned about the opening partnership, and they're going to fix that against Bangladesh. I don't think that Bangladesh is going to be a threat."

"I think the Indian team expects a good opening partnership. Everything is falling into place. This World Cup is a World Cup where no team is very dominant because of the state of the pitches. But if India can solve the opening problem, and it's not a problem, it's the two best T20 players in the world, they are not going to run right now."
Frankly- this is tupid stuff from Lara and nauseous sucking up to kohli and rohit. Ind will be 100 for no loss with these 2 t20 misfits lol! Yeah 100-0 in 17 overs may be tuk tuking. Babar and rizzy would be so proud!

This is cricket and anything can happen but for Lara to say- Ban is no threat, ind will be 100-0, the opening pair is a problem but it's not -- it's all sucking up to the ipl masters. Ind is the fave to win but by no meNs it's a done deal. If top order plays as usual and as usual jadeja tuk tuks and SKY fails - then Ban have a real chance. Again all the heavy lifting will be left to sky..

True Battle of ASIA is here boys!! Popcorn time! Would love to have some controversy and conspiracy claims after the game. :D
Well no pre game controversy....Becoz India is playing all three super 8 matches in three separate countries.
Imagine if they had all three games at one venue....
The lifelong members of BCCI > ICC - let's bag India/bcci-for whatever is wrong in cricket/itenerary/scheduling/FTC programme/the worlds problems/el Nino/global warming/beached whales/animal extinction/the virus/lack of fizz in ya soda would be out in fine voice as if ants got into their pants.
And if we make the KO matches - wait for the coin toss fixing , chip in ball , pitch etc - keep the popcorn handy & put the champers on ice mate.... 😃😎

Frankly- this is tupid stuff from Lara and nauseous sucking up to kohli and rohit. Ind will be 100 for no loss with these 2 t20 misfits lol! Yeah 100-0 in 17 overs may be tuk tuking. Babar and rizzy would be so proud!

This is cricket and anything can happen but for Lara to say- Ban is no threat, ind will be 100-0, the opening pair is a problem but it's not -- it's all sucking up to the ipl masters. Ind is the fave to win but by no meNs it's a done deal. If top order plays as usual and as usual jadeja tuk tuks and SKY fails - then Ban have a real chance. Again all the heavy lifting will be left to sky..
Kohli and Rohit are IPL heavy weights. I understand them hyping Kohli as he is a proven world T20 performer. But Rohit on the other hand rarely did anything in world T20 in more than a decade. He doesn't even deserve his spot. Based on his WC2023 he sneaked back into the side. Before world cup both Kohli and Rohit were about to be axed. Then IPL changed the fotunes for Kohli. Also got the push from Rohit.

Well no pre game controversy....Becoz India is playing all three super 8 matches in three separate countries.
The lifelong members of BCCI > ICC - let's bag India/bcci-for whatever is wrong in cricket/itenerary/scheduling/FTC programme/the worlds problems/el Nino/global warming/beached whales/animal extinction/the virus/lack of fizz in ya soda would be out in fine voice as if ants got into their pants.
And if we make the KO matches - wait for the coin toss fixing , chip in ball , pitch etc - keep the popcorn handy & put the champers on ice mate.... 😃😎
Man , the conspiracy theories get so tiring ! Having played local club cricket - can tell you, once on the ground on the pitch, once the game begins the rest of the outside noise is just that , all noise nonsense. Once on the pitch - it's a fight between 2 teams period. Conditions and pitch are the same for both the teams. All these conspiracy theories and then Aus comes in and steals the final lol ! If you believe the reason for your loss is everything else, everyone conspiring against you and blame everyone or everything else except "your" performance - then you are in denial and will never win anything.

Kohli and Rohit are IPL heavy weights. I understand them hyping Kohli as he is a proven world T20 performer. But Rohit on the other hand rarely did anything in world T20 in more than a decade. He doesn't even deserve his spot. Based on his WC2023 he sneaked back into the side. Before world cup both Kohli and Rohit were about to be axed. Then IPL changed the fotunes for Kohli. Also got the push from Rohit.
Yeah Rohit and kohli should have been axed after 2022 t20WC. I thought they were done playing T20s for Ind after that as they didnt play any B/L T20s but come the IPL - they did a U turn and Agarkar didnt have the guts to drop them and jadeja.

You dont need logic to create a conspiracy theory!!
Just wait and watch :D

Yeah Rohit and kohli should have been axed after 2022 t20WC. I thought they were done playing T20s for Ind after that as they didnt play any B/L T20s but come the IPL - they did a U turn and Agarkar didnt have the guts to drop them and jadeja.
Reality check is waiting for them soon. Who knows. It may be today.

Lol atleast Bangladesh won't be meek like Afghanistan whenever they play India.

I expect lots of passion from Bangladesh. They won't beat India but one can hope.

With Afghanistan game everyone knew they won't win.

India wont lose anything till the 24th and then the semi. Such is the set up to keep the Indians interested.

The likes of shanto and co wont do much against giants bumrah and now arshdeep

Afghans never have that passion or anything to beat india, the way hold it against pakistan. When it comes to against pak, they turn on the beast mode.

Passion doesn't win matches. You need skill. Afghanistan's match up doesn't work against India.
Not sure from where they get that skillset to look that threatening everytime they play against babar and co. I know pak is weak but still.

Windies hammered them too

Afghans never have that passion or anything to beat india, the way hold it against pakistan. When it comes to against pak, they turn on the beast mode.
Nah, Pakistan are a worse team against India. India haven't lost to minnows since 2007 while pak lose to the likes of Zim, Afg, Ire and Usa all the time

The super eights would have been a good round had lanka or newzealand and pak made it through instead of bang usa

I think this will have the same score as the warm up match between the two sides. India and Aus are just too strong for us and without them having a very bad day and we having a better than average day it's hard to even think about any positive results for us

Not sure from where they get that skillset to look that threatening everytime they play against babar and co. I know pak is weak but still.

Because Pakistani batters can't play basic off spin. So even the likes of Nabi become threatening.

The super eights would have been a good round had lanka or newzealand and pak made it through instead of bang usa
For that you need to play well to quify to super 8. Pak always needs favors from other teams. They need to introspect - they were not good enough and so they lost . Same for NZ. SL would say was unlucky with rain.

WI hammered Afghanistan at their home venue. At neutral venue in India few years back Afghanistan beat WI 2-1.In a one-off encounter anything may happen.

Because Pakistani batters can't play basic off spin. So even the likes of Nabi become threatening.
Exactly

Mujeeb Ur Rahaman's Economy against Pakistan is an insane 4.55 . What kind of special intensity an off spinner is going to have only against one opposition.

MatWktsAveEconSR
v Australia114210.524
v Bangladesh91314.155.2516.1
v England11225.524
v India32418.230
v Ireland121816.837.2114
v New Zealand11317.7524
v Pakistan5516.44.5521.6
v Scotland15454.8
v Sri Lanka36136.512
v Uganda11165.3318
v U.A.E.20-8.42-
v West Indies32234.630
v Zimbabwe4425.756.8622.5

Sunny g says 180 type wicket ...win toss & chase...I just get the vibe from indian media & supporters on social- lot of guys think we'll win easily....
Hope team is switched on from ball one, ignores the external noise & executes it's skill set 🪔💥

Sunny g says 180 type wicket ...win toss & chase...I just get the vibe from indian media & supporters on social- lot of guys think we'll win easily....
Hope team is switched on from ball one, ignores the external noise & executes it's skill set 🪔💥
It is a short turn around for them. They have to be switched on. Three matches in six days. Infact all teams in that predicament. India plays in 3 different countries

Toss Update:

Bangladesh have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:
Bangladesh (Playing XI): Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das(w), Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Towhid Hridoy, Shakib Al Hasan, Mahmudullah, Jaker Ali, Rishad Hossain, Mahedi Hasan, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Mustafizur Rahman

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Virat Kohli, Rishabh Pant(w), Suryakumar Yadav, Shivam Dube, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Arshdeep Singh, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah

Bangladesh should have batted first. It's a dumb decision to bowl first in a day game.

Bowling first. Lol India will outbat us from the game in first half. Tbh can't blame Santo though. With the form our batting is in I would not have trusted to bat as well

Bangladesh exceeded expectations by getting to the second round. But I think its going to be lights out today.

Bangladesh exceeded expectations by getting to the second round. But I think its going to be lights out today.
Yeah the country were expecting them to defenitly lose to SA,SL and Ned and might lose to Nep. So making the super 8 was more than we hoped for. If they can now somehow beat Afg this will be a successful campaign for them

Bangladesh captain Najmul Hossain Shanto:

"We want to restrict India to a small total.

"It is a very important game. I think we've played some good cricket and we want to continue our form.

"I think we know the condition and there's a big wind factor so we hope to execute these things.

"I think 160 will be a good score on this pitch."

India has 3 spinner all left arm. Bangladesh has 2 left handers in their line up if i am right. Shanto, Shakib.

India's captain Rohit Sharma:

"We wanted to bat first and that's what we got. We want to put up a good show.

"It looks a good pitch, nice and hard, depends on how much the sun is beating down on it and making it slow.

"We're playing the same team.

"Every game is important, we have to stay present and not worry about what lies ahead and focus on what is in front."

India will keep beating these low ranked teams until they either meet Australia or England in semis.

It looks like Rohit and Kohli will continue to open and both Axar and Jaddu will be playing the same role in the team.

Bowling first. Lol India will outbat us from the game in first half. Tbh can't blame Santo though. With the form our batting is in I would not have trusted to bat as well
Bro it's T20...this format can trip up anyone....look @ US - who'd expect such a strong showing from them?
I feel BD have a much improved pace attack & spin defo is their forte....lets see how the 1st pp goes

Rohit sharma 9 dismissals against left arm seamers this year. 5 times in the IPL. 3 times in this world cup.

Rohit is super dangerous only when he takes time. He should realize that. This forced intent often leads to dismissals.

Whoever wins this game will play in the Final
Semi final will be one heck of a contest. Each team can topple other. I mean even Australia can be topped in the semis. They have their own holes. They are covering it well so far. Indifferent form of Maxi. Clueless batting of Marsh against spin. Stoinis , Head, Warner are covering it well so far.

Good that Bangladesh are chasing.

Fielding needs to be sharp. Fielding was very bad last game (against the Aussies).

I think the selection committee should comprise of IPL Owners, that will do a lot good to Indian Cricket! (Especially CSK/MI owners) They know how to handle the players...

Good that Bangladesh are chasing.

Fielding needs to be sharp. Fielding was very bad last game (against the Aussies).
I saw Warner was dropped, did we drop any more? I switched of the TV after Warner and head started wacking the living daylight out of us. Missed rishad's bowling

To many dead weights Rohit , kohil, jadeja and Dube
Our openers can never give starts like Australia, England, south africa and westindies as long as we don't meet them we will scrap through. UNFORTUNATELY our next 2 matches will be any 2 of them so this match may be last match we win , ONLY MAY BE '

Pitch might slower and slower in the 2nd innings. Chasing would be tough.

If BD bat first, they may end up with a low total. LOL. That could kill the game right there.

If they chase, they may get close or even win it (just like in South Africa game).

I can sense Kohli's failure one more time. He is not cut out to be an opener especially on these tacky surfaces. Waste of a wicket every time.
He should be able to perform just about now. It's been so long for a quality batter like him. That being said I also prefer him as no. 3.

Back