India (307 & 192/5) defeat England (353 & 145) by 5 wickets to claim an unassailable lead of 3-1 in the 5-match Test series

Had a feeling when he came to the crease that this was Jurel’s game. Another quick wicket and England might have really got on top, but they couldn’t get him out. Close but no cigar for England, who tried hard today. India were too good in the end and deserved to win this one.
England had India on wrack twice in both inns.

But ultimately it was pathetic 2nd inns with bat which cost them. Most other series England would get away it in games, here on India you do get punished.

I know he does not have that many runs to show, but this series might be the turning point for Gill, the test match batsman. He had to graft at certain points in this series against spinners, which was against his nature. I did not think he had it in him. His best innings after Gabba..

I hope bcci can put a team director on top of our coach just to prevent the blunders till dravid leaves us ,hopefully after t20 wc.support staff should be made responsible for all their tactical genius decisions and answerable.
David has turned out to be such a disappointment as a coach. He backs honest triers who are ultimately losers.

David has turned out to be such a disappointment as a coach. He backs honest triers who are ultimately losers.
In John Wright's book about his Indian stint,he said he always gives all the honest triers a chance to succeed.he may be right when there are not much players to try out in 2000's but dravid seems to have the same mindset .He won't go for the kill to try new talent and discard obvious dead weights .

@Ahmed216 as I said for India toss doesn't matter as people like you are thinking .india lost first test due to over confidence otherwise 5-0 series win on the cards. India won a lot game even after losing the toss in last decade
I never said England will win the game if they win the toss. Throughout the series I always maintained England can win only if they win the toss whereas India can win whether they bat first or second.
I even predicted third innings England collapse on day 1 of this test.
However u must not take anything away from England for winning that first test from almost an impossible situation

Waiting to hear more "look at me, i am the man.. I am different " statements from Stokes..

England had India on wrack twice in both inns.

But ultimately it was pathetic 2nd inns with bat which cost them. Most other series England would get away it in games, here on India you do get punished.

this England team needs to figure out how to be ruthless. They are good at comeback wins, but when they’re on top they don’t quite know how to press home the advantage.

I know he does not have that many runs to show, but this series might be the turning point for Gill, the test match batsman. He had to graft at certain points in this series against spinners, which was against his nature. I did not think he had it in him. His best innings after Gabba..

Only Jaiswal has scored more than him from both teams . Crawley had scored 1 run more. He certainly had the fund to show for it in this series.

Jaiswal is a bit of a freak.

India deserved to win.
They ensured they won the crucial parts of the Test.
There was a scare, but in the end winning by five wickets was reasonably comfortable.
I thought Gill played authoritatively and with guts — the easiest thing in the world would have been to hit a few flashy fours and get out. H he guts it out and got India home.

India took an unassailable 3-1 lead in the five-match series with a hard-fought five-wicket win in the fourth Test in Ranchi.​

Resisting England's spirited fightback, India secured a five-wicket victory in the fourth Test and claimed the series.

Currently occupying the second spot, India’s point-percentage jumped from 59.52 to 64.58 after their five-wicket win to further extend the gap from Australia (55%) and Bangladesh (50%). England, on the other hand, languish at eighth with 19.44%, just a spot off the bottom from Sri Lanka, who are yet to open their account.
It was a tug of war on the fourth day of the Test but in the end, the partnership of Shubman Gill and Dhruv Jurel proved to be the difference between the two sides.

Like most of the series, the fourth Test between India and England was a topsy-turvy affair. Debutant Akash Deep blew England away early on Day 1 before Joe Root, ditching the Bazball approach, held the fort with his 31st Test century and propelled the team to 35

In reply, Shoaib Bashir’s brilliant spell had India on the ropes but Dhruv Jurel, in only his second Test, displayed the temperament of a veteran by scoring a gritty 90. He formed crucial partnerships with the lower order, bringing India within 46 runs of England's first-innings total.

As the pitch exhibited unpredictable bounce and spin, India entrusted the opening bowling duties to Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja. Ashwin claimed early wickets and secured his 35th five-wicket haul, matching Anil Kumble's record for the most five-wicket hauls by an Indian in Test cricket. Kuldeep Yadav also impressed, contributing to England's collapse for 145 runs and setting India a target of 192.

Source: ICC

Not counting the one off test against Ireland, England last won a series when Messi was yet to win the WC.

Any other captain would be flogged for opening the bowling with Root and Hartley instead of Anderson and Bashir. But hey, Stokes is the saviour of test cricket 🙏🏻

this England team needs to figure out how to be ruthless. They are good at comeback wins, but when they’re on top they don’t quite know how to press home the advantage.
I think because England have had their way in every other test series, they just got carried away here, at times bazball was fine, but at times you need to play proper test cricket. The lack of a middle ground cost them here.

Yeah definitely got to be more ruthless, as I can see similar scenarios coming when they tour Australia. Ultimately whilst a team wants to entertain you also want to win the big series.

This series has been a pleasant surprise with so many youngsters from Indian team stepping up at crucial moments. Jurel's rise is important because we don't know when our champion Pant will be able to keep. Even though runs tally may not show, Gill has played well under pressure. Kuldeep is ready to take over from Ashwin, Akashdeep is similar to Shami. Jaiswal is the true successor of Kohli. Lot of domestic bullies got exposed, so won't get the ticket to Australia.

England team too has many positives, Crawley and Duckett have been excellent. Root has figured out the tempo that suits him best. The young spinners in Hartley, Rehan and Bashir will play a big part in future test tours in the subcontinent. Scoreline may not reflect but Stokes' team has given plenty of jitters to the Indian camp. They will look to win the Dharamsala test, conditions should suit the English there.

Dharamsala's weather is iffy, it was snowing there just last week, still 9 days to go. Sleet predicted for first 3 days of the final test and temperature will be 3 to 5 degrees celsius on match days.

Good variety of pitches this series, flatties as well as this turner in Ranchi, Dharamsala will be pacer's paradise I am sure and both teams will pick 3 fast bowlers each, Bumrah was rested for 5th test and am sure Wood will also be back. 2017 test vs Aussies saw crazy bounce in Dharamsala, maybe because of the pitch and high altitude of the venue. Just hope weather holds up.

Whatever one says about Bazball, I for one feel Eng have been Wow in this series.
this is the 1st team in probably a decade or so to land up on our shores and make us feel they can own a session any time. every ball was an event - in all 4 tests.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the spirit and never say die aspect that Eng have showed in this series.
for our guys, last two tests showed our mettle, our resilience. We fought well and came out tops!
At lot of aspects of thsi series is like the 2018 eng vs india series played in Eng, dont think 1-4 was an accurate assessment of that series...

This win surprised me. Impressed with Gill, evolution is what you need to play at the highest stage. Jurel indeed looks like a clutch player. Well done youngsters.

No Kohli.
No Bumrah.
No Shami.

No Problem.

Well done India. One of the better wins considering India also lost the toss here, conceded deficit in first innings but still found a way to win.
no KL for few tests
No Jads for one test and also was injured in one test.
No Rishabh
No Ash for one whole day of test
With Che Pu and Jinx not in the mix and Shreyas not performing, I guess the XI put out on the park delivered on most occasions.
A tribute to their fighting spirit and also some kudos to the much maligned coaching staff

England beat India 4-1 in 2018 but if you watched that series, you'd know the scoreline was flattering, it could have easily been 3-2 India.

This series is giving similar vibes. Except Rajkot test which was similar to Lord's 2018, both teams have exchanged blows and been in commanding positions. With better application and ruthlessness it could have been 3-1 England right now.

Fine margins in the game. England won the big moments on 2018, India won the big moments this time.

So Padikkal in for Patidar.

Who goes out for Bumrah?
They could also go for Washi Sundar for Patidar, he gives a bowling option and also LH batsman.
I guess Dharmshala going by the 2017 test where matt wade was taking it around his ears will be pace and bounce friendly and our guys will play all three - jazzboom, Sirajmian and Akash. My hunch is Kulli will miss out and Washi can be the handy 6th bowler

The best chance for a side to win a test series touring India is the next 3-4 years. Kohli and Rohit will retire and India will enter a transition phase. There are some promising finds on this tour but with youngsters, there will be on and off inconsistent performances

The last time we played at Dharamsala (granted it was 7 years ago), we went in with a 3 spinner attack - co-incidentally Ashwin, Jadeja and Kuldeep and all of them took 4 wickets each. Lyon took a 5-fer in the first innings.

I don't see any reason to alter our team when it's so well-balanced. If Bumrah, does want to play, we'll have to give Siraj a break. Akash Deep must play to test him out further.

Honestly if Patidar was 25 or younger, I'd be willing to let him have the fifth test as well as a sort of sink or swim. But despite his sterling domestic record, he's 30 already and there's a limit to how much we can back him. So it'll be either Rahul coming back or Padikkal I guess.

Honestly if Patidar was 25 or younger, I'd be willing to let him have the fifth test as well as a sort of sink or swim. But despite his sterling domestic record, he's 30 already and there's a limit to how much we can back him. So it'll be either Rahul coming back or Padikkal I guess.
This is not a sterling record by any stretch of imagination,

1708947204549.png

Sterling record would be averaging in excess of 60. Averaging less than 45 in FC is a moderate record.

After India's victory over England in the 4th Test in Ranchi, Rohit Sharma shared his thoughts during the post-match press conference:

"It's been a very hard-fought series, so to come on the right side of it feels very good. A lot of challenges thrown at us but we responded and were quite composed. These (youngsters) guys want to be here, growing up in the domestic circuit, local club-cricket, and coming here."

"It's a big challenge, but the responses I get are encouraging. We have to give them the environment they want to be in, we can't just keep talking to them, they are very clear in what they want to do."

Last edited:
The last time we played at Dharamsala (granted it was 7 years ago), we went in with a 3 spinner attack - co-incidentally Ashwin, Jadeja and Kuldeep and all of them took 4 wickets each. Lyon took a 5-fer in the first innings.
I agree. Just because its really cold at Dharamshala doesn't mean, play 3 pacers especially for a team like us who have 3 champion spinners in our ranks.

Dharamsala will be Ashwin's 100th test, no way is he missing out that one. Now that we have won the series, BCCI will make big plans to celebrate that milestone. Probably the last Indian player to play 100 tests, this format will only get lesser fixtures in the future.

Only English players will play 100+ tests in the future I guess. Even Aussies will max out at 80-90.

Case of india playing poorly to be honest. That's why it seemed close. Also india missed 4 key players. One of them being rested ofcourse.

India played below their ability and England played well. Should really be 4 0 and not 3-1

Well done team india.

Good game England.

We should ideally be playing following bowling at Dharamshala,

Bumrah (if fit. If not, then Siraj obviously)
Deep
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Jadeja
Akash deep
Bumrah
Kuldeep
Ashwin
Jadeja
Sundar
Jurel
Sarfraz
Gill
Rohit
Jaiswal

This is not a sterling record by any stretch of imagination,

View attachment 142372
I apologise. I didn't look closely enough and thought he had a 50+ average. Yes he's a weird pick. 30 year old, under 45 average. I went and did a bit more digging after my goof up and looked to see if he'd had a recent purple patch but no. 2022-23 Ranji season was a typical decent season for him.

Smells like an old-fashioned quota pick then. Pity...I thought we were past that.

Akash deep
Bumrah
Kuldeep
Ashwin
Jadeja
Sundar
Jurel
Sarfraz
Gill
Rohit
Jaiswal
No way will we further weaken our batting after they've barely managed this match. Sundar doesn't deserve a place purely on his batting and the bowling has plenty of options with probably 3 of the 5 best test spinners in the world today playing.

It'll be Rahul or Padikkal. Rahul more iikely if fit since the top order is pretty sewn up with Rohit-Jaiswal-Gill and the middle order is the one that needs strengthening.

Nasser Hussain reacts after India beat England by 5 wickets in the 4th Test in Ranchi, while speaking to a local sports channel:

"It's another excellent Test match and an excellent Test series. England was really good today; they put up as much of a fight as they could. They got wickets on either side of lunch. And when they got Sarfaraz and Jadeja just after lunch, you felt crikey, this is going to be close, but Shubman Gill showed his class and his calmness. Dhruv Jurel has just been a revelation, to be honest. In the two games, he's played both with gloves as a keeper and also with the bat. England didn't lose the game today; the game was lost yesterday. What a turnaround from India on the first innings to get close because of Dhruv Jurel again, and Kuldeep Yadav, and then England losing the seventh for 35 yesterday afternoon. That's where the game was lost."

Ben Stokes commented during the presentation ceremony after England's defeat to India by 5 wickets in the 4th Test:

"I think it was a great Test match. The scoreline says India win by five wickets but I don't think that gives enough credit to sum up the game as a whole."

"I've been doing this for two years now and my message is always consistent -- it's about your input to the team and don't worry too much about the output."

"Everyone has thrown everything into every Test match here, nothing has been left out on the field and that's all I will ever ask from them."

"That's the way I am as a captain - allowing these guys to come into what could be a very intimidating situation against India in a test match, to treat every ball as on occasion rather than thinking something in the past that can't be changed."

I think the way the series has gone has been perfect for Indias future test team development. I can see a lot of Indian fans having a go at coaching team in past but here the selections and balances of team in this series and selections have been spot in.

Kohli absence in reality has been blessing in disguise on basis its allowed the team collectively and some individuals to step up and do a job. Yes you want a world class player to come back when he's ready but he wasn't missed here.

With all 4 games being close midway through its meant that players have been tested enough to see if they can swim, sink or need more time in the water.

The likes of jaiswal have shown that they can take the lead when required, and also has ability to take a game away in a session.

Gill whilst he's struggled alot, the inns in this 4th test will do a lot more for his development and templemant, inns like this are a lot better then smacking a huge score on a flat deck.

Jurel, came and was tidy with gloves. Also showed how to play proper test cricket with the bat. How many players in past have shown so much calmness in 1st few tests.

Sarfaraz, came in and showed he can smack the ball around. Also showed he can graft a bit as well. If he can maintain that balance he will do well, for sure needs to be persisted with.

Barahat was rightly the starting keeper as he had played previous series, however his batting was that of a tail ender and long have gone the days of playing in a team as keeper alone, he caused his own demise here after been trusted.

Padikal another one who looks like he's out of his depth, but you have to give players atleast an entire series to see how they go, but with some many good domestic batsmen queueing up to play for India, this is another player who has failed to take his chance.

Kuldeep, akash deep, siraj did their jobs with the ball when asked to step up

Indias experienced players step up jadeja, bhumrahs, ashwins, Rohits in-between where required.

Key to longevity in a strong test side is not letting senior players go on for to long, not having to many inexperienced players in side. India got balance right, which means when rohits, kohl's, ashwins etc.. do go India have given the next players asked to step up sufficient time to become the experienced players when time comes. Perfect way to transition a test side and still win games.

Ben Stokes commented during the presentation ceremony after England's defeat to India by 5 wickets in the 4th Test:

"I think it was a great Test match. The scoreline says India win by five wickets but I don't think that gives enough credit to sum up the game as a whole."

"I've been doing this for two years now and my message is always consistent -- it's about your input to the team and don't worry too much about the output."

"Everyone has thrown everything into every Test match here, nothing has been left out on the field and that's all I will ever ask from them."

"That's the way I am as a captain - allowing these guys to come into what could be a very intimidating situation against India in a test match, to treat every ball as on occasion rather than thinking something in the past that can't be changed."
Stokes last comment makes no sense.

Yes Compared to past series England didn't poke and proud at balls thinking their were demons in pitch every ball, but at same time England didn't respect every delivery either. The brainless cricket was their for all to see.

You look at any side that rarely wins a series in India, its been done by attrition and most of all runs on the board. England in pretty much all their 2nd inns batting efforts just went out and batted in a careless manner instead of actually intelligent thinking of a way to win a game.

I think the way the series has gone has been perfect for Indias future test team development. I can see a lot of Indian fans having a go at coaching team in past but here the selections and balances of team in this series and selections have been spot in.

Kohli absence in reality has been blessing in disguise on basis its allowed the team collectively and some individuals to step up and do a job. Yes you want a world class player to come back when he's ready but he wasn't missed here.

With all 4 games being close midway through its meant that players have been tested enough to see if they can swim, sink or need more time in the water.

The likes of jaiswal have shown that they can take the lead when required, and also has ability to take a game away in a session.

Gill whilst he's struggled alot, the inns in this 4th test will do a lot more for his development and templemant, inns like this are a lot better then smacking a huge score on a flat deck.

Jurel, came and was tidy with gloves. Also showed how to play proper test cricket with the bat. How many players in past have shown so much calmness in 1st few tests.

Sarfaraz, came in and showed he can smack the ball around. Also showed he can graft a bit as well. If he can maintain that balance he will do well, for sure needs to be persisted with.

Barahat was rightly the starting keeper as he had played previous series, however his batting was that of a tail ender and long have gone the days of playing in a team as keeper alone, he caused his own demise here after been trusted.

Padikal another one who looks like he's out of his depth, but you have to give players atleast an entire series to see how they go, but with some many good domestic batsmen queueing up to play for India, this is another player who has failed to take his chance.

Kuldeep, akash deep, siraj did their jobs with the ball when asked to step up

Indias experienced players step up jadeja, bhumrahs, ashwins, Rohits in-between where required.

Key to longevity in a strong test side is not letting senior players go on for to long, not having to many inexperienced players in side. India got balance right, which means when rohits, kohl's, ashwins etc.. do go India have given the next players asked to step up sufficient time to become the experienced players when time comes. Perfect way to transition a test side and still win games.
Wow.Dravid can copy paste Ur post as his accomplishment about this tour.But I think lot of Indians are asking for his removal especially for picking iyer,mukesh,bharath and other goof ups.

India's series win over England is "incredible" for the future of their Test team, says former England captain Michael Vaughan.

The hosts took an unassailable 3-1 lead in the series with a gripping five-wicket victory in Ranchi.

The result is particularly impressive given India's considerably depleted squad.

"They've got five world-class players missing," Vaughan told the Test Match Special podcast.

"They also lost a very important toss [in Ranchi], and they faced a first-innings deficit. It's an incredible win for now, but also for the future of this team."

Star batter Virat Kohli has missed the series for personal reasons and wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant is continuing his recovery from a car accident.

Experienced middle-order batter KL Rahul is struggling with a quad injury, seamer Mohammed Shami is injured and India's leading wicket-taker in the series Jasprit Bumrah was rested for the fourth Test.

But the team's young, inexperienced talent led them to a series victory in Ranchi, with 24-year-old Shubman Gill, who is viewed by many Indian fans as Kohli's heir, steering them to their target of 192 with an impressively composed half-century.

He shared a crucial sixth-wicket stand of 72 with player of the match Dhruv Jurel, who backed up his crucial first-innings 90 with 39 not out. The partnership steered India out of trouble after losing five wickets for 36 runs either side of lunch.

"England wanted Jurel and Gill to play aggressively after lunch, because that would give them a chance to take wickets," Vaughan added. "But they played sensibly, and just knocked it around.

"Shubman Gill was Mr Calm, he played with so much clarity and control."

Opener Yashasvi Jaiswal, 22, has also played an influential role in the series with an astonishing 655 runs at an average of 93.57, with the combination of youth and experience alongside the likes of Ravindra Jadeja, Rohit Sharma and Ravichandran Ashwin making India a formidable unit.

BBC

While identifying some talents India also identified a few who should never be backed again ever.
No series is ever going to be one where ever selection is a success. Every Indian fringe player or fairly new comer got ample time to do well or show they aren't good enough. That's what you need as a test side. No point every player looking a million dollar player then looking awful later on. Its called test cricket for a reason, to "test" players abilities

Wow.Dravid can copy paste Ur post as his accomplishment about this tour.But I think lot of Indians are asking for his removal especially for picking iyer,mukesh,bharath and other goof ups.
Goof ups are when selected players who after being tested and fail, are then persisted with still.

On each occasion where a new player has been found wanting India have made changes. Hindsight is always good after the event saying x,y,z player isn't good enough.

India selected players on merit initially, those good enough are still playing, those who aren't have been dropped or will get dropped.

No series is ever going to be one where ever selection is a success. Every Indian fringe player or fairly new comer got ample time to do well or show they aren't good enough. That's what you need as a test side. No point every player looking a million dollar player then looking awful later on. Its called test cricket for a reason, to "test" players abilities
Amjad bhai, selecting Bharat was like Arteta continously selecting Zinchenko even after having brainfades every time. And Mukesh and Patidar would be the Denis Suarez equivalent with only diff being Suarez did not actually play that much. The point is these are not selections based on merit. You have a point if it was on merit.

Then they're pretty kneejerk. Yes the management has failures in trying some players and successes in some others but that's the nature of leadership.

Shreyas had a solid world cup, has a first class average of 50 and a justifiedly excellent reputation against spinners. Was natural to give him the series.
Mukesh has been a standout bowler in First Class cricket for years. Excellent average of 21, bowled well against the Lions. Yes he didn't work out this series but he'll get another chance or two.
Patidar is a weird selection agreed. I can't really justify it but we did need a middle-order batter not a top-order one and maybe they saw something and made a mistake.

I don't honestly think Dravid's a genius but then I don't think any coach is. I think though that the thinktank in charge of the Indian team - Rohit, Dravid, the selectors and the support staff is pretty good. Indian fan just need to just learn not to overeact to everything.

Then they're pretty kneejerk. Yes the management has failures in trying some players and successes in some others but that's the nature of leadership.

Shreyas had a solid world cup, has a first class average of 50 and a justifiedly excellent reputation against spinners. Was natural to give him the series.
Mukesh has been a standout bowler in First Class cricket for years. Excellent average of 21, bowled well against the Lions. Yes he didn't work out this series but he'll get another chance or two.
Patidar is a weird selection agreed. I can't really justify it but we did need a middle-order batter not a top-order one and maybe they saw something and made a mistake.

I don't honestly think Dravid's a genius but then I don't think any coach is. I think though that the thinktank in charge of the Indian team - Rohit, Dravid, the selectors and the support staff is pretty good. Indian fan just need to just learn not to overeact to everything.
My issue is persisting with players like bharath,iyer etc when they are clear better alternatives in front of you.dravid follows a queue system which is absolutely unnecessary. Everyone know bharath can't bat and he is a glorified tailender.Iyer short ball problems are well-known and even then there is no backup .Bishnoi was ignored in t20s and he was the deal. Dravid lost ability to understand the talent and can't get out of his bangalore quota

Amjad bhai, selecting Bharat was like Arteta continously selecting Zinchenko even after having brainfades every time. And Mukesh and Patidar would be the Denis Suarez equivalent with only diff being Suarez did not actually play that much. The point is these are not selections based on merit. You have a point if it was on merit.
So Bharat played vs Australia and wasn't great, yes he could have possibly been dropped. He was then given 2 more tests to prove himself, essentially 7 tests to show he was good enough or not, he's proven not good enough and was rightly dropped. At the same time Juvel was playing in A side, did well and earned a call up. So India made the change at the right time.

If they had played Bharat all series and he was rubbish then fair enough. But India saw sense and went sorry uve played 7 tests and not up to standard.

Same goes for iyer, essentially he also was given a run of 7 tests (Aus, SA, and eng) and was found not good enough and in came sarfaraz.

You have to give most players a decent run in side, Bharat and iyer were and they drowned, in came the next two players.

Most of the player from my understanding apart from patidar, were selected on domestic merit. If like in Pakistani cricket they were selected on nepotism etc. Please let me know as I dont watch Indian domestic cricket.

At least dravid has seen sense and made changes at right time, rather then after the damage had been done in terms of team results

My issue is persisting with players like bharath,iyer etc when they are clear better alternatives in front of you.dravid follows a queue system which is absolutely unnecessary. Everyone know bharath can't bat and he is a glorified tailender.Iyer short ball problems are well-known and even then there is no backup .Bishnoi was ignored in t20s and he was the deal. Dravid lost ability to understand the talent and can't get out of his bangalore quota
Both players were given 7 tests and dropped, that's enough time to make decision on players. Persisting with them would have been playing them for rest of this England series. Which neither has done.

All players need enough time to sink or swim. Both sank and were removed

So Bharat played vs Australia and wasn't great, yes he could have possibly been dropped. He was then given 2 more tests to prove himself, essentially 7 tests to show he was good enough or not, he's proven not good enough and was rightly dropped. At the same time Juvel was playing in A side, did well and earned a call up. So India made the change at the right time.

If they had played Bharat all series and he was rubbish then fair enough. But India saw sense and went sorry uve played 7 tests and not up to standard.

Same goes for iyer, essentially he also was given a run of 7 tests (Aus, SA, and eng) and was found not good enough and in came sarfaraz.

You have to give most players a decent run in side, Bharat and iyer were and they drowned, in came the next two players.

Most of the player from my understanding apart from patidar, were selected on domestic merit. If like in Pakistani cricket they were selected on nepotism etc. Please let me know as I dont watch Indian domestic cricket.

At least dravid has seen sense and made changes at right time, rather then after the damage had been done in terms of team results
Bharat played the home series v Aus, failed spectacularly. Played again in WTC final, again failed. That is 5 tests to gauge someone and he dint even go past 40 and had dropped catches and missed stumpings. He was dropped for SA series and for reasons unknown came back to the side against Eng.

Same with selecting SKY, Patidar and Unadkat for tests. Those were not on merit.

Both players were given 7 tests and dropped, that's enough time to make decision on players. Persisting with them would have been playing them for rest of this England series. Which neither has done.

All players need enough time to sink or swim. Both sank and were removed
Are 7 matches of torture not enough 😀.Unless there is extra ordinary talent with no results,any player should not have more than 3 matches especially in tests to prove himself.

Are 7 matches of torture not enough 😀.Unless there is extra ordinary talent with no results,any player should not have more than 3 matches especially in tests to prove himself.
3 tests is not enough to gauge if a player is good enough. In terms of giving players enough of a run In Indian side I see no issue.

How the coach does rest of his job, is a different discussion.

Bharat played the home series v Aus, failed spectacularly. Played again in WTC final, again failed. That is 5 tests to gauge someone and he dint even go past 40 and had dropped catches and missed stumpings. He was dropped for SA series and for reasons unknown came back to the side against Eng.

Same with selecting SKY, Patidar and Unadkat for tests. Those were not on merit.
Clearly patidar and unadkat are on recommendation quota.otherwise unadkat can't replace kuldeep on a rank turner.as per stats, patidar rotated strike for 3 times in his 11 overs of overall stay at the crease.it shows he is not at all a test match material. On top of it he got support from batting coach.

In the examples you have given then that's understandable some selections haven't been on merit, but we all know how selections work in Asia, you will always get selections like this.

As I mentioned at least India have seen sense and dropped these guys, all given chances and failed. So no excuse to fall back on.

So if the selectors were pressured into making certain selections. They can say well, your boy was given a chance ahd failed and we have moved on

Be grateful your team isn't been lead by a failure whose selected because he speaks queen's English and daddy is well linked in PCB.

It's unbelievable that a Pakistan fan is advocating for sense and patience in Indian cricket selection but Indian fans have none. Amjid Javed's points have been excellent on this thread. Some excellent selections have been made. Mistakes have been made, then corrected without overreacting.

Overall the Indian team has been winning what it's expected to win and losing what it's expected to lose. Do I wish we would outperform - sure but we're going through a transition and I recognise that results won't be perfect.

It's unbelievable that a Pakistan fan is advocating for sense and patience in Indian cricket selection but Indian fans have none. Amjid Javed's points have been excellent on this thread. Some excellent selections have been made. Mistakes have been made, then corrected without overreacting.

Overall the Indian team has been winning what it's expected to win and losing what it's expected to lose. Do I wish we would outperform - sure but we're going through a transition and I recognise that results won't be perfect.

India could have just played a fully experienced side, no fringe players won 5-0 and fans would complain it was ideal time to test fringe players

Or India could have played loads youngsters won 3-2 and people would have complained dravid played to many kids.

Don't get me wrong dravid in previous series has been criticised rightly for team plans, selections etc..

Here he's done things in a fair and methodical manner. Is dravid best for Job long term? Maybe not that is a different discussion. But here as I mentioned in my 1st post I think India were tested enough to know which players to take forward ahd which ones not to.

Play sarfaraz and padikal in last test and see what happens. No point bring back an experience player for a dead rubber. The selectors can then make a call on if they want to not persisted with either of these players.

Also because series is won, you can rest bumrah again and give deep another test

India could have just played a fully experienced side, no fringe players won 5-0 and fans would complain it was ideal time to test fringe players

Or India could have played loads youngsters won 3-2 and people would have complained dravid played to many kids.

Don't get me wrong dravid in previous series has been criticised rightly for team plans, selections etc..

Here he's done things in a fair and methodical manner. Is dravid best for Job long term? Maybe not that is a different discussion. But here as I mentioned in my 1st post I think India were tested enough to know which players to take forward ahd which ones not to.

Play sarfaraz and padikal in last test and see what happens. No point bring back an experience player for a dead rubber. The selectors can then make a call on if they want to not persisted with either of these players.

Also because series is won, you can rest bumrah again and give deep another test
I'm strongly against resting Bumrah again in Dharamsala. He's had plenty of it and if he needs more, let him skip the first few games of the IPL.

If he's going to take his place as a fast bowling great, he needs to play a bunch of tests more while he's still in his prime.

Clearly patidar and unadkat are on recommendation quota.otherwise unadkat can't replace kuldeep on a rank turner.as per stats, patidar rotated strike for 3 times in his 11 overs of overall stay at the crease.it shows he is not at all a test match material. On top of it he got support from batting coach.
Selection of Patidar has to rank among the worst selection calls. It was evident from the debut innings that he is just not comfortable at the crease with all the pressure around him. Rahul Dravid and batting coach instead decided to double down on him by selecting again and again.

All said done this is definitely a very good Test series. I didn't think it would be entertaining with a lot of twists and turns. One of the best Test series in India after a long time.

Yes what an advertisement for test cricket this series has been. Can't believe the weirdos who call it boring.

But then virtually every series India plays of late seems to thrill. Yes there's the odd Bangladesh series that's a Wipeout but even then it's exciting to see the Indian skill at dismantling them ruthlessly.

The next big test is next year - 5 tests in England. Hope few of these youngsters lock down their place in the side by then
We'll be playing Australia in Australia later this year.

That will be our immediate test especially considering that Australia will be baying for our blood after losing 2 consecutive home series against us.

We'll be playing Australia in Australia later this year.

That will be our immediate test especially considering that Australia will be baying for our blood after losing 2 consecutive home series against us.
Can’t wait for the Australia series. Should be blockbuster of series.

India's report card till now( minimum 2 tests sample):

Top performers:-

Jaiswal
Jadeja
Bumrah
Jurel
Kuldeep

Above average to good performers :-

Rohit
Gill
Sarfaraz
Ashwin

Below average/poor performers :-

Siraj
Bharat
Iyer
Patidar

Jaiswal
Jadeja
Bumrah
Jurel
Kuldeep

Rohit
Gill
Sarfaraz
Ashwin

Siraj
Bharat
Iyer
Patidar
Put Siraj in above average performer. The pitches are not for his type of bowling, but he won the 3rd Test for India.

Glad India's transition is going reasonably well.
Youngsters always play well in home series, but the real test will be SENA tours. I have doubts about Sarfraz's technique in away tours. Gill and Jaiswal disappointed in the last SA tour; I hope they will perform better next time. Jurell really impressed me with his technique and temperament. I think it's the end for Iyer, Bharat, and Patidar.
Patidar and Akashdeep, along with Sarfraz, will be out once Kohli, KL, and Bumrah return to the team. Now, the bench strength also looks good.

Jaiswal
Jadeja
Bumrah
Jurel
Kuldeep

Rohit
Gill
Sarfaraz
Ashwin

Siraj
Bharat
Iyer
Patidar

Jaiswal or Jaddu, one of them will receive the MOS, depending on their performance in the last match.

Youngsters always play well in home series, but the real test will be SENA tours. I have doubts about Sarfraz's technique in away tours. Gill and Jaiswal disappointed in the last SA tour; I hope they will perform better next time. Jurell really impressed me with his technique and temperament. I think it's the end for Iyer, Bharat, and Patidar.
Patidar and Akashdeep, along with Sarfraz, will be out once Kohli, KL, and Bumrah return to the team. Now, the bench strength also looks good.
Indias fringe players in this series will have learnt more about how hard test cricket is compared to if they were picked to play a Bangladesh or west indies for example. Also plenty of Indian seniors have struggle in SA, judging young players perform in SA is probably not the sole yardstick to judge on. India will play tours in Eng and Aus and those will be good conditions to see if they can sink or swim.

Agarwal made debut on boxing day made an impressive 74 against top class attack. Followed up with another 50. Sundar, Gill both did very well in Australia. Australia is one place where Indians bat better. NZ will also suit Indians apart from a session or two. England has good batting conditions as well. Just that batsmen don't apply themselves. SA is the most challenging place of all as it can seam, swing and bounce do all. in some parts uneven bounce too. Even established players did have their struggles.

Back