India [649/9d] beat West Indies [181 & 196] by an innings and 272 runs in the first Test

Hopefully not another HTB. He is very young though.

Its a shame that Gabriel's talent gets wasted playing for WI. This guy could be one of the top pacers in the world today.

Shubnam gill needs to be given chance as well ASAP. We cant let these youngsta beauties rot in domestic circuit.

Look at the smile on Virat's face, That was the moment for me.
Groom this boy to the next level.

Not sure how many more chances will KL Rahul get? He can't even bat at home these days. It's better to give a chance to a new lad like Mayank in the 2nd test.

Pujara bats like Bradman in Asia and like Kumble outside Asia.

Not sure how many more chances will KL Rahul get? He can't even bat at home these days. It's better to give a chance to a new lad like Mayank in the 2nd test.

Just scored a hundred in his last innings. Let’s not get swayed away. He needs to be given full 1-2 series more.

Guys any technical deficiencies in Shaw's game? Not watching the match.

Keep conversation related to this match

Got to feel for KL. A great talent laid to waste by a bunch of crazy selectors. But he partly has himself to blame for not working on his consistency. I hope he bounces back.

Youngest at the time of maiden Test 100 (India):

17y 112d S Tendulkar v Eng, Manchester, 1990

18y 329d PRITHVI SHAW v WI, Rajkot, 2018

20y 021d Kapil Dev v WI, Delhi, 1979

20y 131d AA Baig v Eng, Manchester, 1959

Fastest 100s on Test debut (balls):

85 S Dhawan v Aus, Mohali, 2013

93 Dwayne Smith v SA, Cape Town, 2004

99 PRITHVI SHAW v WI, Rajkot, 2018

Pitches such as this do nothing for the popularity of test cricket. Embarrassing. A lot of Indians were crying about the pitch at Lord's during the summer, this is just as bad.

Pitches such as this do nothing for the popularity of test cricket. Embarrassing. A lot of Indians were crying about the pitch at Lord's during the summer, this is just as bad.

There were news that indian team management wanted fast and bouncy pitch to prepare for Aus series but you cant change the nature of the pitch at such a short notice.

There were news that indian team management wanted fast and bouncy pitch to prepare for Aus series but you cant change the nature of the pitch at such a short notice.

They have had 2 months to prepare this pitch, and we have known the Australian tour itinerary for at least 6 months, so lack of preparation time is a droll excuse.

It's not even that, there's a lack of will from everyone involved to make test cricket exciting. Who the hell wants to waste time watching India pummel a weak West Indies team into the dirt on flat pitches ? Even the players would be bored out of their minds.

They have had 2 months to prepare this pitch, and we have known the Australian tour itinerary for at least 6 months, so lack of preparation time is a droll excuse.

It's not even that, there's a lack of will from everyone involved to make test cricket exciting. Who the hell wants to waste time watching India pummel a weak West Indies team into the dirt on flat pitches ? Even the players would be bored out of their minds.

Considering that there are only few test playing nations and we dont play with Pakistan, WI were the only option left. But yeah i would have preferred a rank turner than the current pitch. Match would have lasted only two days but would be more fun to watch.

Better team of westindies so more than number one team but I still rate westindies better than Australian team bowling wise which in UAE now

Considering that there are only few test playing nations and we dont play with Pakistan, WI were the only option left. But yeah i would have preferred a rank turner than the current pitch. Match would have lasted only two days but would be more fun to watch.

My point isn't that India shouldn't be playing the West Indies at all, far from it. However, the administrators should do everything possible to make the series a competitive contest, and good pitches are the easiest fix in that respect.

There needs to be a directive from the ICC on pitch preparation for test matches, otherwise, the sport is being deliberately left to rot.

You're kidding right? He just scored a century! In the previous innings!

He had a bad tour of SA and ENG. That's all. It was his first tour. Most Asian batsmen struggle on their first tour. Look what happened to Kohli on his first English tour.

You're being so over-the-top!

Cut shot not playing good by Shaw he was lucky all 3 times off Bishoo, he will stay in Indian cricket for long time.the way he hits 100 you not believe he playing his debut innings, reached 100 in only 99 ball reminds me Dhawans debut

With this run rate we can score 450 on the first day itself.

What do fans like me know. IPL fans looking for instant noodles who dont know the value of test cricket. Btw, who the last indian opener to hit a century? How many months long away was that?

I wish prithvi Shaw break G.R.Vishwanath record of 139-- highest individual score on debut by indian player.he need 8 more to break vishy record

Last edited:
Another young Indian talent makes his mark on international cricket.

Meanwhile in Pakistan seniors are being called back :moha

That's a big egotistical, don't you think?

How do think the Aussies feel every time Pakistan tours there? I bet they think that's a total snoozefest too!

That's not a nice way to look at this. If this was another SL series I would understand. But WI is touring after 5 years. You have to play everyone.

Shaw is 18. So, he has time to cope with his technical deficiency but his biggest test, like most Asian batsmen will be in non-Asian countries.

Even if India invests a good 4-5 years on him, he can establish himself by age 23-24 and can be a great servant for India for many more years. The question will be though if results come out after a good period of investment in him.

That's a big egotistical, don't you think?

How do think the Aussies feel every time Pakistan tours there? I bet they think that's a total snoozefest too!

That's not a nice way to look at this. If this was another SL series I would understand. But WI is touring after 5 years. You have to play everyone.

I have no time for your tedious brand of unimaginative jingoism. What does Pakistan playing Australia have anything to do with this ? See my next post for clarification, I was talking about the pitches.

This is the right match, right pitch and right opponent for Jadeja the batsman to prove his monstrous first class centuries! Pant or someone will give company if he wishes!

What do fans like me know. IPL fans looking for instant noodles who dont know the value of test cricket. Btw, who the last indian opener to hit a century? How many months long away was that?
Not sure why are you crying and what that has got to do with the post you quoted?

I have no time for your tedious brand of unimaginative jingoism. What does Pakistan playing Australia have anything to do with this ? See my next post for clarification, I was talking about the pitches.

Yeah buddy, current Australian pitches are just as much a bowler's graveyard as Rajkot has always been.

So I don't know what you are complaining about. Not every pitch is gonna be a Turner or a green mamba. Get real.

You're kidding right? He just scored a century! In the previous innings!

He had a bad tour of SA and ENG. That's all. It was his first tour. Most Asian batsmen struggle on their first tour. Look what happened to Kohli on his first English tour.

You're being so over-the-top!

Lol at 'He had a bad tour of SA and Eng. That's all.' You are the one with over the top reaction here. I didn't even talk about Eng and South Africa here.

I am talking about his failure in the first inning. He has got enough chances for now. Time for Mayank to get his chance in the next match.

Kohli and Rahane might themselves fall asleep the way they are batting. What a sharp contrast to the way Shaw played.

Definitely was useful because it took us very close to a draw.

I don't know why you're always so cynical about every other player.

Close to a draw? Another moral victory? We lost that match in the end.

Also I am not someone who dislike Rahul here. Infact I have always supported his inclusion and criticised team management for not giving enough chances but when he got his chances he didn't do anything special. So it is time to try someone else. Sorry I can't worship players like some of you do. Have to say what I feel without worrying about intolerant trolls here.

wI most likely to be beaten by an innnings if India batted whole day tomorrow.

Kohli and Rahane look at ease and well set for big scores. Too early, but I feel India will declare at around 600 and the Spin trioka will dismiss the Windies batters twice under 250.

After the India-England series, this one might be a yawn-fest.... for neutrals.

Yes but that is how test matches plays in India.Ash batting average is 55.66 vs wI.Pant,Jadeja with Triple here in Ranji and tails without much we still can gets 500 because virat will be key.

New ball due in 9 overs.might be 366 for 3 by close but if we loose 2 by close we might dismiss at lunch time on day 2

Kohli and Rahane look at ease and well set for big scores. Too early, but I feel India will declare at around 600 and the Spin trioka will dismiss the Windies batters twice under 250.

After the India-England series, this one might be a yawn-fest.... for neutrals.

Time for Rahane to improve his avg of 40. :inti

Rahane 93 and 148 in domestic looks solid but one can not trust him who plays odd stroke once and while
310 / 3 Rahane on 33*, Virat on 47*

90 ball need to be bowls in the day.bishoo 29/0/109/1

Close to a draw? Another moral victory? We lost that match in the end.

Also I am not someone who dislike Rahul here. Infact I have always supported his inclusion and criticised team management for not giving enough chances but when he got his chances he didn't do anything special. So it is time to try someone else. Sorry I can't worship players like some of you do. Have to say what I feel without worrying about intolerant trolls here.

With the sort of new-age "instant satisfaction" attitude you have, I'm surprised you're so anti-IPL. One would think you would love it.

Thankfully, the team management doesn't believe in your "live by the sword, die by the sword" philosophy.

This same KL Rahul scored 7 back-to-back half centuries throughout a very tough series against Australia. He scored a century on his only tour outside Asia before this (Australia) and even scored big runs against Eng in 2016.
First tour of SA and ENG is very difficult for most batsmen. Even someone of the calibre of Kohli failed to get a single 50, even in dead rubbers.

I shudder to think how much talent we would have thrown away if the BCCI thought like you.

What a boring day wow. No wonder tests are dying. Do purists really believe kids whose eyes are glued to Instagram on their smartphones will enjoy this tripe?

What's the attendance at the ground?

Is it just me or does ruston chase with this look resembles to that of "Will Smith's suicide squad character " Deadshot"?
Hahaha

Against WI on this track and after that start it certainly should be considered a failure.

Failure is too harsh. Test runs are test runs.

He underperformed today. For sure. But 41 test runs should not be considered a failure.

Another failure for Rahane. Averaging 22 in last 13 tests India since his last Test 100 2 years ago. Proper tailenender stats.

Not sure why he should be starting in the next test. Better to give Vihari a chance

Back