India v South Africa | 2nd Test - Day 3-5 | Kolkata | 16/02/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0gers

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
How come no thread?

India lead by 90 with 4 wickets remaining. Dhoni and Laxman at the crease. South Africa will want to wrap this up quickly, ideally they'll want the lead to be under 150. Still a lot of time left though.

India will look to pile the runs, South Africa will look to take wickets while also minimizing the runs. It's still pretty gloomy out, so it'll be interesting to see how many overs are bowled today.

Some chance of rain today and tomorrow.

Cover Drive said:
Great news Khabri :D:D:D

The skies seem to be clearing out somewhat, but it'll be something to watch out for the next two days.

Don't worry it will rain :D InshALLAH

If no rain then I hope Steyn takes another fifer in first session

India 461/6 (107.6 ov)
India lead by 165 runs with 4 wickets remaining in the 1st innings....SA in trouble now...

umerz said:
India 461/6 (107.6 ov)
India lead by 165 runs with 4 wickets remaining in the 1st innings....SA in trouble now...

south africa drop so many catches they deserve that kind of defeat :wasim

Cover Drive said:
Don't worry it will rain :D InshALLAH

If no rain then I hope Steyn takes another fifer in first session
:))) :)))

jattafridi said:
south africa drop so many catches they deserve that kind of defeat :wasim

:14: :14:

If India do good then opposition is weak or drop catches :))

SO Saffers fumble under the pressure, mammoth total can make any great team panic and fumble, thats where india is has always been capitalizing on, i guess poor bowling takes it out of equation when your batsmen put huge total that kills oppositions moral.

Sultanofswing said:
SO Saffers fumble under the pressure, mammoth total can make any great team panic and fumble, thats where india is has always been capitalizing on, i guess poor bowling takes it out of equation when your batsmen put huge total that kills oppositions moral.

So getting south Africa out for 296 on a flat day 1 track is because fo the mamooth total whcih India posted in the secnd innings? Keep on underestimating our bowlers to your own peril. They have always delivered recently, even when we have batted second (the last match being an exception)

BTW when SA was piling on the runs in the last match, it was because our bowlers were not good enough but now when India is doing the same its not because Steyn and company are poor? Double standards much?

@Sultanofswing We are batting second and our bowlers have already bowled them all out 296. Yes our current bowlers are not best in the world but they have done good job this match

So at least you could time being avoid the argument of equation of Huge total and Opposition Moral

Sultanofswing said:

The best bowler in the world Steyn is been belted around the park

Dale bhai is back on. I think he might make some inroads now!
Good pace 146.9 kph

India 539/6 (128.2 ov)

India lead by 243 runs with 4 wickets remaining...Saffies taken to the cleaners....series lagta hai barabar honay wali hai

umerz said:
India 539/6 (128.2 ov)

India lead by 243 runs with 4 wickets remaining...Saffies taken to the cleaners....series lagta hai barabar honay wali hai

honay wali....ho gayee or innings defeat bhee aaney wali hai
but credit to Jean-Paul Duminy 2 drops catches at the right time for india
:ibutt

We need to get Smith out early when S come out to bat. He has a very good record in the 2nd innings for his team in a test match.

Indiafan said:
So getting south Africa out for 296 on a flat day 1 track is because fo the mamooth total whcih India posted in the secnd innings? Keep on underestimating our bowlers to your own peril. They have always delivered recently, even when we have batted second (the last match being an exception)

BTW when SA was piling on the runs in the last match, it was because our bowlers were not good enough but now when India is doing the same its not because Steyn and company are poor? Double standards much?

you misunderstand my point. i was talking about general indian game plan not about this particular match, its indian batting is so powerful that they are quite often put huge totals on the board and put opposition under immense pressure. under such pressure no matter how good your bowling/fielding/batting is, its always gonna suffer. we can only wish to have such batting talent. :akmal :moyo :malik

d0gers said:
How come no thread?

India lead by 90 with 4 wickets remaining. Dhoni and Laxman at the crease. South Africa will want to wrap this up quickly, ideally they'll want the lead to be under 150. Still a lot of time left though.

The thread was removed by our pakistani friends because Indians were doing well. Their own team is not good enough so they suppory SA. Well played team India!

Asok Chaktra said:
The thread was removed by our pakistani friends because Indians were doing well. Their own team is not good enough so they suppory SA. Well played team India!

PakPassion.net

I can see a win by an inns here for India. S.A 1st inns collapse has pretty much cost them the game here...!

Such a shame this series is just 2 tests!

Laxman and his affair with Eden Garden continues .. what a fantastic knock

What a difference a Laxman makes?

I have not seen the innings but, the powerhouse Indian batting is shining through, when it counts...

However, lets not write off South Africa yet....

Not a single 6 from Laxman from his knock of 124 .... Typical Laxmansque innings . Milking runs by just rolling his wrists :)

MIB said:
Only when India bats

The pitch is SO flat. South Africa played like idiots to only get 300. Oh well I suppose it'll start taking massive turn tomorrow and show variable bounce and we can pretty much call this series 1-1. Given it is the second series in a row we have played India in India I suppose we will have to see how India does when they play in S.A to see who is the better team. (licks lips).

To bat on much longer will be a mistake for India. They are taking all the pressure away from South Africa by given South Africa no hope of making something of the game. It will be a batting practice with no pressure for the saffies now when they bat because they'll totally expect to lose now , so why bother with feeling pressure ?

Anyway i'm sure rain is on the way. he he.

Asok Chaktra said:
Is this true? :)))

Test cricket in India with such flat tracks is so dull. Whether it's South Africans piling on 200 run partnerships or Indians with nothing there for the bowlers, it's entirely dull. How about a result relying on the skills of the player and not the pitch turning in a crater on last days ?

Dhoni in nervous 99.... That's it Mahi's 4th Test hundred .. :14:

Last edited:
saffer said:
Test cricket in India with such flat tracks is so dull. Whether it's South Africans piling on 200 run partnerships or Indians with nothing there for the bowlers, it's entirely dull. How about a result relying on the skills of the player and not the pitch turning in a crater on last days ?

you werent complaining in the last test......

6 players in this game already have hundreds and 13 batsman wickets have fallen. When over 45% of batsmen can get a hundred in a game it takes away the achievement factor to me. Just my thoughts.....make proper tracks with something for the bowlers !

saffer said:
6 players in this game already have hundreds and 13 batsman wickets have fallen. When over 45% of batsmen can get a hundred in a game it takes away the achievement factor to me. Just my thoughts.....make proper tracks with something for the bowlers !

Instead of moaning on the pitch, can we safely say Indians belted SA bowlers, who bowled and fielded badly so far in this match

Last edited:
s2k said:
you werent complaining in the last test......

I was. I didn't think Amla or Kallis batted very well to get big scores. It was easy to bat. Steyn just bowled some lethal reverse swing. I was hoping some Indian supporters would get the point of what's wrong with their pitches after that game. But after this one it will be the same old boring trip to India to play test cricket.

And I have nothing to whinge about. Our record in India is second to none. I just really find 200 runs without a wicket in every match boring as anything. I just want to feel it won't take a fluke for someone to get out , then the game becomes interesting everyball.

saffer said:

Well the pitch was helping the bowlers on the first day. Give some credit to Indian batsmen for playing good cricket.

saffer said:
I was. I didn't think Amla or Kallis batted very well to get big scores. It was easy to bat. Steyn just bowled some lethal reverse swing. I was hoping some Indian supporters would get the point of what's wrong with their pitches after that game. But after this one it will be the same old boring trip to India to play test cricket.

And I have nothing to whinge about. Our record in India is second to none. I just really find 200 runs without a wicket in every match boring as anything. I just want to feel it won't take a fluke for someone to get out , then the game becomes interesting everyball.

Just see the no. of draws in india and in SA in last cpl of years......You dont expect green pitches here,pitch will be good for batting for 3 days and after that spin kicks in,thatz how it has been since 70+ years....

Deceleration will now be coming very soon...SA will have to bat extremely well...one good bowling session for India and India will be the winners

saqlain said:
Well the pitch was helping the bowlers on the first day. Give some credit to Indian batsmen for playing good cricket.

Fine , but only to be politically correct. In my heart though I just don't think there's anything special about scoring a hundred on batsman tracks like this. I'll give credit to South Africa for batting badly though. The Kallis shot , the De villiers run out...prince and Dumminy keep up their pathetic form. There is no way we should have gotten less than 600 if we had just played decently.

Anyway 1-1. Not the end of the world , cricket is the only real loser.

Why are India still batting ? Scared we going to get 550 and bowl them out in two days ? Jees, they couldn't be doing us any more of a favor than by soaking up extra overs for the rest of the day. All it will take is the wicket to stay flat for a day and India might rue batting on any longer.

lol India now really toying with the SA bowlers here like Cullinan said: "you need to go through stages like this so you really truly appreciate the good days".

Romali_rotti said:
lol India now really toying with the SA bowlers here like Cullinan said: "you need to go through stages like this so you really truly appreciate the good days".

they were making big statements.......now take it....time to rub it in...

India drew many matches in the past after piling 600+ runs for the opposition because of the delayed declaration...this shows the confidence of India captain on it's bowlers....really sad....I camn recall at least 6-7 matches, which were draw because of delayed declaration...in past 3-4 years...

onlycricket said:
India drew many matches in the past after piling 600+ runs for the opposition because of the delayed declaration...this shows the confidence of India captain on it's bowlers....really sad....I camn recall at least 6-7 matches, which were draw because of delayed declaration...in past 3-4 years...

declared..... ;-)

Declaration! South Africa will have to bat their heart out with more than 2 days left. But its fitting considering they will be batting to get the #1 ranking. Good cricket this, exciting to watch. SA only need a draw, India need 10 wickets. Pitch still very good to play on.

oops here comes the declaration...

time to face the music SA!

And where's that RSA guy here who said RSA are'nt chokers anymore??

LA-who-ZA-HERR :))) :)))

I just looked at the scorecard and was suprised to see India in this position. I think India should bat out the day and get as many runs as they can and declare first thing tommorow.

The test is not over yet, India will still need to be bowl very well to get 10 SA wickets.

EDIT: just declared, I think this is a rational and sensible decision from Dhoni.

Last edited:
siimo said:
Declaration! South Africa will have to bat their heart out with more than 2 days left. But its fitting considering they will be batting to get the #1 ranking. Good cricket this, exciting to watch. SA only need a draw, India need 10 wickets. Pitch still very good to play on.
Thats the only worry ;-)

Ok let's make this interesting and see if India can also beat South Africa by an innings and with declairing 6 wickets down. Much depends on the pitch. It stays like this and south Africa don't throw it away they should be able to knock a good few of those 347 off by the end of tomorrow. Shouldn't be long until the light is offered tonight. All is not lost from the saffer cause and when you're in such a bad position you tend to forget about the pressure and that's when you play best.

Last edited:
abdul2009 said:
oops here comes the declaration...

time to face the music SA!

And where's that RSA guy here who said RSA are'nt chokers anymore??

LA-who-ZA-HERR :))) :)))

a pakistani team fan shouldnt call SA the chokers.....

saffer said:
Fine , but only to be politically correct. In my heart though I just don't think there's anything special about scoring a hundred on batsman tracks like this. I'll give credit to South Africa for batting badly though. The Kallis shot , the De villiers run out...prince and Dumminy keep up their pathetic form. There is no way we should have gotten less than 600 if we had just played decently.

Anyway 1-1. Not the end of the world , cricket is the only real loser.
cricket the only loser? no
when u come to subcontinent u expect a good batting pitch. why sa pitiches are not gud for spiners? becuse u don't have a gud one, that home advantage. when india make a bating-spining pitch u dont like that (that to when u r about loss).
and give credit to indian bowling.

^^So that proves that even the #1 bowler in the world needs a ball with the seam burst (Nagpur - 1st innings) to run through oppositions. Mind you, I am not saying that he doctored the ball, just restating the fact that the ball he was given had that condition and he exploited it perfectly.

Smith had loud mouthed that his team "deserves to be #1" more than the Indians. Well now is his test.

G.N.E said:
cricket the only loser? no
when u come to subcontinent u expect a good batting pitch. why sa pitiches are not gud for spiners? becuse u don't have a gud one, that home advantage. when india make a bating-spining pitch u dont like that (that to when u r about loss).
and give credit to indian bowling.

Nor do you have good spinners. Let them bowl on S.A wickets and they get exposed for what they. You have wickets that make average spinners LOOK good. Spinners aren't effective in South Africa because of the tracks so they never develop a record good enough to earn selection. Trust me away from pro cricket in South Africa there are just as many Shane Warne wannabe's ripping it a mile on club tracks etc than anywhere else.

dani2k said:
^^So that proves that even the #1 bowler in the world needs a ball with the seam burst (Nagpur - 1st innings) to run through oppositions. Mind you, I am not saying that he doctored the ball, just restating the fact that the ball he was given had that condition and he exploited it perfectly.

Smith had loud mouthed that his team "deserves to be #1" more than the Indians. Well now is his test.

When did he ever even say anythinhg similiar to that ? You have a fertile imagination. You can't just make stuff up to make your life more interesting and it becomes true...you do know that right ?

And Steyn swung it a lot with the old ball and with the new ball yesterday and today. He went past the edge like 50 times. Swining it too much if anything.

So the World BEST BOWLERS scores 4 Tons .... Ton each for Steyn, Morkel, Parnell and Harris .

Indieview said:
So the World BEST BOWLERS scores 4 Tons .... Ton each for Steyn, Morkel, Parnell and Harris .

Congrats to the world's best bowlers.

saffer said:
Nor do you have good spinners. Let them bowl on S.A wickets and they get exposed for what they. You have wickets that make average spinners LOOK good. Spinners aren't effective in South Africa because of the tracks so they never develop a record good enough to earn selection. Trust me away from pro cricket in South Africa there are just as many Shane Warne wannabe's ripping it a mile on club tracks etc than anywhere else.

Harbhajan has 350 test wickets and Kumble had 600+ how many SA bowlers have 600 wickets?

sorry how many in this team has 200?

In india we have spinning tracks and that is our home advantage and it has been so for 75+ years.....Play with it or if you have so much problem dont come and play.....tell the ICC that....i'm sure there are other teams who will play in India.

saffer said:
When did he ever even say anythinhg similiar to that ? You have a fertile imagination. You can't just make stuff up to make your life more interesting and it becomes true...you do know that right ?

And Steyn swung it a lot with the old ball and with the new ball yesterday and today. He went past the edge like 50 times. Swining it too much if anything.

trying to find something positive in that pathetic bowling performance......beating the bat doesnt get wickets.......

saffer said:

No, I don't - http://www.cricinfo.com/indvrsa2010/content/story/447436.html

s2k said:
trying to find something positive in that pathetic bowling performance......beating the bat doesnt get wickets.......

And if beating the bat was considered as a victory, one should have seen how many times Amit Mishra did it in the Saffers first innings at Nagpur? :))

saffer said:
Look, we have spinner which are avg in front of all time greats, but for current std i think indian spinner are v gud .
and i can say same thing for sa fast bowlersafter this test . 'u make ur half decent fast bowler look gud on sa's gud bowling pitches'.
that's my ans in ur words

Saffer spins his posts better than harris...................why dont you try for a place in SA team

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back