India v Sri Lanka | Compaq Cup Final | Colombo | 14/9/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani2k

First Class Star
Runs
Quite an interesting contest ahead. SL go ahead with all the momentum. India have had a bad day at office. Though they would hope that the worst is behind them.

It is good that they have had an off day during an inconsequential match (not from a ranking perspective though). They would hope for a turn around in fortunes starting with the toss (Dhoni has lost two and he doesnt lose many..likely to win one today which is crucial).

Their batting has not clicked though and it will require a huge effot from all their batsmen to buck the trend and win a fianl in SL for a change (they haven't won one in 11 years). The bowling and fielding is no better either. As a team they are yet to click. They need to do it big time today if they want to salvage their lost reputation. A cracker of a game I would expect.

SL are the favorites and are likely to win this more though I am still rooting for India :)

You know you cannot predict that Dhoni will win the toss just because "he's lost two". Its basic probability.

Person who wins the toss wins the game; SL hold the ascendancy in that they actually have some decent batsmen in their lineup along with some good seam bowlers.

I know mate..I only hope that Dhoni wins the toss today :) Would be interesting to see how the "local lions" perform under pressue chasing.

Intresting to see if Sri lanka can maintain there good ODI form of late.

You can't beat SL in those pitches. It's tailor-made for them. Win the toss, bat first, above 250 score will be match winning one. India really miss Shewag and Gambir at the top.

There was an interesting stats that only two grounds in the world has the highest %age of win the toss and win matches

1. Colombo Premadasa ( 88%)

2. Lahore Gaddaffi( 87%)

^^ Wow. Tendulkars 'adopted suggestion' makes sense in these pitches for sure..

I don't have the stats, but I guess Kingsmead Durban would be prominent here too..

Last edited:
Well it will be difficult to beat SL even if India win the toss and bat first.
SL have good seamers and probably will have Murali back (replacing Mendis?). If lankans can keep India to 220-240 then they will chase it down.
And if the Lankans bat fist and put up 270+ then good luck India.

When all that is said, it will be stupid to write off India so good luck to both teams.

I am a neutral in this game, if India losses I'll have a laugh at them, if Sri Lanka loses, it is always fun to watch Sanga cry.

So, its a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned. :p

Last edited:
Afridi_Fan said:
I am a neutral in this game, if India losses I'll have a lugh at them, if Sri Lanka loses, it is always fun to watch Sanga cry.

So, its a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned. :p

Come on man, be honest, I know you want India to lose, with a world record margin, just admit it. You will feel 150 kgs lighter. :D

IAJ said:
Come on man, be honest, I know you want India to lose, with a world record margin, just admit it. You will feel 150 kgs lighter. :D

You nailed it man, you really did. Watching India lose is fun, it really is.

But of late, the cry baby Sanga has started to match it big times. :p

As I said, whatever the result will be I will have a blast today, just look out for my posts today folks, it will be fun ;)

Well Dani boy, you must be over moon now. Dhoni has won the toss and elected to bat.

Damn.

By the way what was Sanga's reaction, Man I missed that.

I better run downstairs and then will log onto PP from my cell phone to chat on the game.

So Adios from the puter.

India won the toss and batting. Hope they score enough runs on the board. What ever the result, I like the way Dhoni handles the team and the huge pressure of leading India. It's not easy mate.. He is so cool and simple Good Luck.. Dhoni.. Good Luck India...!

A couple more to Dravid, good start by India.

Inside edge, a stiffled appeal.

Dravid is slowing down the pace of the Indian innings, he needs to take singles atleast to keep the score board ticking.

Things are not looking good for Sri Lanka, on the other hand India have a very bright start.

IAJ said:
Well Dani boy, you must be over moon now. Dhoni has won the toss and elected to bat.

You betcha mate :D On my way to the Sun to be precise. Not a bad start either which makes it doubly satisfying..

But this trend of toss playing such a major factor is not healthy for the ODI game which is already at doldrums..What say thou?

It is kinda interesting how every day is a new day in an ODI game (I mean literally as far as the team fortunes are concerned) ..the other day was entirely Lankas..and today India seem to have everything going their way..

Last edited:
dani2k said:
It is kinda interesting how every day is a new day in an ODI game (I mean literally as far as the team fortunes are concerned) ..the other day was entirely Lankas..and today India seem to have everything going their way..

I have heard the following on a number of occassions: "You make your own luck!!!!"

Strange how this works though!!!

^^ True mate. And in ODIs it becomes more profound because T20s are too short for it (conditions dont change much) and test matches have 5 days where even if the opposition has all the luck the first day, the second day might be yours.

ODIs are the only ones where conditions vary so drastically and luck plays a huge part.

Jaya strikes! Dravid out on 39. India 95/1 after 17.2 overs.

The selfish captain comes in. When team is struggling he pushes himself down the order, when life is good he comes in one down. Raina or Yuvraj should have come in.

IAJ said:
The selfish captain comes in. When team is struggling he pushes himself down the order, when life is good he comes in one down. Raina or Yuvraj should have come in.

When quick runs are to be scored ?He sends them. When its needed to consolidate he comes. Whats wrong iwth that. If Sahcin was out, he would have send Raina or YV

I dont see anything wrong with Dhoni coming in. The game plan is clear. One guy plays the anchor role while the other goes about hitting. Dravid gone, Dhoni in and I expect him to play the anchor role..

Sachin leading Indias charge here and they could be in for a big total after 50 overs.

I beleive that in ODI's a team needs 1 or 2 players to play anchor roles and then let the others bat around them. The aim should be to let 1 of your top 3 bat through till the end of the innings or at least till the 42 - 45 over mark.

Indiafan said:
When quick runs are to be scored ?He sends them. When its needed to consolidate he comes. Whats wrong iwth that. If Sahcin was out, he would have send Raina or YV

Maybe but I have never seen him send himself out early when the bowling is hot. :13:

Keith said:
I beleive that in ODI's a team needs 1 or 2 players to play anchor roles and then let the others bat around them. The aim should be to let 1 of your top 3 bat through till the end of the innings or at least till the 42 - 45 over mark.

If only our Pakistani team could comprehend that.

woww :) .. looks like this cup is as good as ours guys :) sachin's making batting look tooo easy........ great effort india ... keep going :D

They should have saved on the bill for this series and just decided it on the toss. Just need one camera and airfares for 1 umpire and 3 captains.

^^ Well said mate..:)))). Cost cuts around the globe and makes a lot of sense..

India 180/1 after 32 overs

I can see them getting 350 here!

Sachin on 98*

And for the NZ toss, NZ would call heads and the coin would be tails all the way except for one brief moment when it looked like landing on heads....before landing on tails.

congrats to Sachin. We all know what happens to India when Sachin plays a big knock in finals. :)

Kriketer said:
congrats to Sachin. We all know what happens to India when Sachin plays a big knock in finals. :)

we win? We have never lost I beleive when he scored big in the finals

Indiafan said:
we win? We have never lost I beleive when he scored big in the finals

you sure? I always thought it was other way around.

I can remember two instances when he scored 100s in a final.

Both against Australia - once in Sharjah in 1998 (on his bday I guess) and another in the last year CB series finals. On both occassions India won.

I vaguely remember him contributing heavily the last time India won a final in SL (Singers Cup 98). Not sure if that was a hundred..

Last edited:
Dhoni is out, 205/2 after 36.3 overs.

Let us see what score they can put up from here. 300 should be easy to get from this position or what do you think guys?

No other choice .............. dhoni just out and the rest are yet to bat.........

Spare a thought for him...It is a cauldron out there and he has been there for 3 hours running for himself and his partner.

The pitch is a slow one, the way Jayasuriya bowled just showed how slow it was, it even took time to reach the keeper and thinking India went with only one spinner.

dani2k said:
Spare a thought for him...It is a cauldron out there and he has been there for 3 hours running for himself and his partner.

Tendulkar did take a lot of singles, but I feel he is still very fit and one classy batsman to watch.

Is it the pitch or Tendy but SL bowling looks ordinary? I think they are missing Murli.

IAJ said:
Dhoni is out, 205/2 after 36.3 overs.

Let us see what score they can put up from here. 300 should be easy to get from this position or what do you think guys?

300? they are looking at 330 - 340 here if not even more. Sri lanka should be bowled out for around 200. Typical predictable sri lankan day/night game.

For all those who are absolutely disgusted by the two innings a side ODI idea, at least in that version BOTH teams would get to play an innings under the lights, thereby eradiciating the importance of the toss to quite an extent.

Last edited:
Romesh Kaluwitharana, the 'little kalu' , the darling of crowds, is in attendance today. Looks as fit as ever.

Mendis to Tendulkar, OUT, goes for another reverse sweep, misses and this time it's the off break that traps him right in front. What an innings though. Absolute masterclass on risk-free cricket.

SR Tendulkar lbw b Mendis 138 (82m 133b 10x4 1x6) SR: 103.75

Good knock by the master...Well played sir! :14: :14:

Last edited:
Ok i withdraw my indian score prediction...didnt realise SL had pulled things back a bit. This is what happens when a supposed 'commentary thread' hardly has any score updates on it...!

Anyway ill do the score update then:

India 276/3 in 46.0 overs

They should still be able to get 300 here? If they do that should be way more than enough.

Just as i speak Ajantha (nobody has figured me out) Mendis is getting pulverised. The mendis bubble has well and truly been burst. However he does get tendulkar with his last ball of the over.

Still his figures read: 10 overs, 70 runs...1 wicket

dani2k said:
Mendis to Tendulkar, OUT, goes for another reverse sweep, misses and this time it's the off break that traps him right in front. What an innings though. Absolute masterclass on risk-free cricket.

SR Tendulkar lbw b Mendis 138 (82m 133b 10x4 1x6) SR: 103.75

Good knock by the master...Well played sir!

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Sums up tendu quite well actually!!!!

^^ Thanks for the nice words mate :). What is doubly satisfying is that India is getting a good warm up to put their best foot forward in the CT. Things slowly falling into place.

Well the "big hitter" is gone. He can only play spin.

dani2k said:
^^ Thanks for the nice words mate :). What is doubly satisfying is that India is getting a good warm up to put their best foot forward in the CT. Things slowly falling into place.

Let India put things slowly into place, we will quickly dismantle em!!!! Not as quick as your stint at number 1 though .... ;-)

Last edited:
Is Matthews injured? Why is sanga bowling out the overhyped malinga and mendis when they are being taken to the cleaners and matthews has only bowled 3 overs...?

Keith said:
Let India put things slowly into place, we will quickly dismantle em!!!! Not as quick as your stint at number 1 though .... ;-)

Haha..you cracked me up there :)) . Good luck!

And yes embarassment would be an understatement to describe Indias stint at #1. I would rather be @ 3 for a longer duration to fix the issues and go up rather than have frequent flings at the top. :)

Malinga taken to the cleaners here. What a spikey performance from this guy. Top yorkers oneday and pathetic the other.

Again sums up the luck factor on a given day for a team.

hasanb said:
Is Matthews injured? Why is sanga bowling out the overhyped malinga and mendis when they are being taken to the cleaners and matthews has only bowled 3 overs...?

Because he knows that Angelo would face a harsher back lash if he bowls to Yuvraj. He doesnt need another Stuart Broad in his own team :))

Sri Lankas 2 star bowlers:

Malinga: 10 overs, 81 runs, 1 wicket
Mendis: 10 overs, 70 runs, 1 wicket

Combined: 20 overs 151-2

Pathetic....

Dani2k whatever angelo would have bowled couldnt have been worse than these two lafungas!

hasanb said:
Dani2k whatever angelo would have bowled couldnt have been worse than these two lafungas!

Yup. worth a gamble given that he had given only 15 runs from 3 overs. Could have gone either way given the match situation and Yuvraj's mood.

I think Sri lanka will struggle to get close to indias total here.

I like this score. If the Lankans can score 307 on a two paced pitch batting first, we can better it. Go India!

Don't think it is possible to restrict Lanka under our score (<169 in the last match) given our famous bowling line up starting with the super fast Delhi express Nehra! I will be happy with just a win.

Last edited:
Jayasuriya has 9 overs for 43 runs and a wicket...a very good economy rate given the circumstances and yet sangakkara doesnt give him his last over, instead he gives it to tushara who ends up with figures of 10 overs for 71 runs.......

Did sanga hit the crack hard last night or something..?

Did the Indians paid the Sri Lankans? Why Mathews and Kulsekara the best bowlers in the match didn't bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back