Kings XI Punjab vs Rajasthan Royals | 10th April, 2015 | IPL 8 | Pune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakss

Test Debutant
Runs
Kings XI Punjab Squad
GJ Bailey*, Anureet Singh, P Awana, R Dhawan, YA Golwalkar, Gurkeerat Singh, BE Hendricks, MG Johnson, Karanveer Singh, SE Marsh, GJ Maxwell, DA Miller, NS Naik, AR Patel, NLTC Perera, WP Saha†, Sandeep Sharma, V Sehwag, Shivam Sharma, SN Thakur, M Vijay, M Vohra

Rajasthan Royals Squad
SR Watson*, Ankit Sharma, B Brainder Sran, R Bhatia, STR Binny, BCJ Cutting, JP Faulkner, DJ Hooda, DS Kulkarni, VS Malik, CH Morris, KK Nair, AM Nayar, AM Rahane, P Sahu, D Salunkhe, SV Samson†, SPD Smith, TG Southee, PV Tambe, R Tewatia, J Theron, SV Trivedi, DH Yagnik†

Punjab has a highly entertaining side. With players like Miller, Maxwell, Bailey and Johnson, they have a strong foreign core, coupled with the fact they have some talented youngsters like Saha, Axar and Vohra - they'll be a very difficult side to beat. Sehwag and Vijay at the top are formidable to say the least.

Rajasthan don't possess the glamour of Punjab but they have a strong Australian core with Watson, Smith and Faulkner. A lot will depend on how Watson captains the side. Their batting is solid and with a top 6 consisting of Watson, Smith, Rahane, Samson, Faulkner and Binny, they certainly are no pushovers. I think their bowling attack is poor though, Southee isn't enough to stop the opposition from scoring 170-180.

On a side note, I really hope Axar Patel is called out on chucking if he bowls his faster one tonight.

Two terrific batting sides , can't say the same about their bowling though, will be a run fest.

Both teams have invested heavily in Australians lets see how it goes.

Punjab has a highly entertaining side. With players like Miller, Maxwell, Bailey and Johnson, they have a strong foreign core, coupled with the fact they have some talented youngsters like Saha, Axar and Vohra - they'll be a very difficult side to beat. Sehwag and Vijay at the top are formidable to say the least.

Rajasthan don't possess the glamour of Punjab but they have a strong Australian core with Watson, Smith and Faulkner. A lot will depend on how Watson captains the side. Their batting is solid and with a top 6 consisting of Watson, Smith, Rahane, Samson, Faulkner and Binny, they certainly are no pushovers. I think their bowling attack is poor though, Southee isn't enough to stop the opposition from scoring 170-180.

On a side note, I really hope Axar Patel is called out on chucking if he bowls his faster one tonight.

RR have weak batting. Smith is only above-average in T20 and he has exactly the same problem as Rahane; can't score at T20 pace when under scoreboard pressure. Watson is very patchy, Samson likewise, Binny is inconsistent and Faulkner bats too low. Their batting and too safe strategy let them down many times last season. The RR bowling is excellent with experts like Tambe, Bhatia and Faulkner.

KXIP don't have good bowling except Axar and to an extent Sharma and Johnson. It won't matter because KXIP's batting is beyond excellent. Vohra, Sehwag, Saha, Miller, Maxwell, Bailey, Axar are just too explosive and too deep and their philosophy is correct, because they won't stop hitting, so I don't expect that RR can handle this aggression.

RR have weak batting. Smith is only above-average in T20 and he has exactly the same problem as Rahane; can't score at T20 pace when under scoreboard pressure. Watson is very patchy, Samson likewise, Binny is inconsistent and Faulkner bats too low. Their batting and too safe strategy let them down many times last season. The RR bowling is excellent with experts like Tambe, Bhatia and Faulkner.

You're forgetting that this is the new and improved Steve Smith version 2.0 (aka Superman Smith). Watch him blast a 35 ball hundred!

KXIP don't have good bowling except Axar and to an extent Sharma and Johnson. It won't matter because KXIP's batting is beyond excellent. Vohra, Sehwag, Saha, Miller, Maxwell, Bailey, Axar are just too explosive and too deep and their philosophy is correct, because they won't stop hitting, so I don't expect that RR can handle this aggression.

Pretty much agree with all your points but you're underrating RR's batting and overrating their bowling. Bhatia with his slow good-length deliveries will get absolutely murdered by Miller and Maxwell, while I believe this will be the season the age-factor finally catches up with Tambe.

Samson and Rahane/Watson at the top is formidable for any side and they have the capability to hit big. Rahane will be best utilized in the opening spot when the fielders are inside the circle. I think he can be the guy who can consistently provide 55-60 runs at a SR of 115+. Samson is Samson and as somebody else said, this is Smith version 2.0. He can do anything!

Punjab wins the toss and elect to field.

Watson is injured so Smith is captain.

Punjab's overseas players : Bailey, Maxwell, Mitch and Miller.

Royals' overseas picks : Smith, Southee, Faulkner and Chris Morris.

In other news, Preity looks prettier than she did in IPL 2014. So everybody wins.

It is important to pull sandeep sharma out of his length. He is crafty bowler.

Anureet singh is another swing bowler. Mostly swings it into the right hander.

Despicable performance from Rahane. It was his job to see of the new ball, and play shots on merit.

swing bowlers play a major role in T20s. Most of the batsman in T20s leave a big gap between bat and pad in pursue of big hits. swing bowlers can exploit it perfectly with the new ball.

Wow sandeep is on a roll here. Bhuvi kumar version 2. swing bowlers- a must in T20s

Steve Smith steps out every time he has to play spinners.

It works when the spinners are Ashwin or Axar or Jaddu. They do not spin the ball much. But when facing big turning spinners like Mishra, he will be exposed if he dances out everytime.

I am yet to see Smith play a big shot against spinners by staying in his crease.

Am I the only one who finds Anjum Chopra's snap-snap-clackety-clack style of commentary annoying?

Steve smith everytime comes down the track against spinners...Someone please spin the bowl.

Steve smith everytime comes down the track against spinners...Someone please spin the bowl.

Exactly.

Smith will be stumped easily if he does this against big ripping spinners in SC pitches.

I am interested to see how he plays against the likes of Mishra.

It is crazy to think how good Starc and :mj are in compare to other bowlers. The difference is just too vast. Smith who is in top class form, looked like a bunny against :mj . The same smith was smashing Indian bowlers for fun . Australians are so lucky to have fast bowlers like :mj and Starc who are league ahead than any other fast bowlers in LOIs.

Hooda, when he hits those big shots, looks a bit like Steve Smith. The way he contorts his body ever so slightly to get the direction right.

Now he is gone.

This is why Aus are World Champs.

Faulkner coming in at No.9 for them can play like this.

Only aussies can handle aussies, this the beauty of ipl that we are seeing such duals which are not possible at international level because of these quality players being from same country.

Only aussies can handle aussies, this the beauty of ipl that we are seeing such duals which are not possible at international level because of these quality players being from same country.

esp today's match MJ took Smith's wicket but Faulkner took him to cleaners.

Before praising Anureet please remember this really seems like a decent bowling pitch.

Punjab's signing of Vijay has been a really good one. He will do a better job than Manan Vohra, last years opener.

Btw - who is this new Indian commentator who sounds a bit like a girl? Sounds like a cross between Sachin Tendulkar and Lalit Modi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back