Malala Yousafzai - Mega Discussion Thread

Why is Malala hyped so much?

I don't get the hate towards this you g girl :-/

With Malala opposing drone attacks, the anti-Malala crusaders are desperately scrambling around to find another line of attack. Pathetic.

In September 2012, a 15-year-old school girl from Pakistan’s Swat valley was reported to have been shot in the face and head by a Taliban activist.
We believe there is now enough evidence for Pakistan and the international community to have a serious re-look at the Malala story and demand that the United Nations orders a full investigation into the matter.

http://dawn.com/news/1048776

Looks like BeingFaridKhan isn't the only one.

Pakistani satire of Malala conspiracy theories taken as real conspiracy theory
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...acy-theories-taken-as-real-conspiracy-theory/

Taken a bullet for a noble cause and still going strong despite the threats from Talibani morons. She's the beacon of light against whatever is wrong with Pakistan and its completely fair to make an example out of her. If you're any better, why don't you leave the safe internet zone and go out in public to take on the conservatives? These retarded internet trolls i tell you. :facepalm:

Now,she has condemned drones,haters would find some other points to attack her.Maybe,why is this girl not speaking for our brothers in Kashmir? or why is this girl not condemning Israel? or Why is she not speaking for Aafia?This proves that she is an American agent who wants to defame Pakistan and Islam.Biggest dramaybaaz.

In ka kuch nahin ho sakta.

Taken a bullet for a noble cause and still going strong despite the threats from Talibani morons. She's the beacon of light against whatever is wrong with Pakistan and its completely fair to make an example out of her. If you're any better, why don't you leave the safe internet zone and go out in public to take on the conservatives? These retarded internet trolls i tell you. :facepalm:

In ka kuch nahin ho sakta.Everything is a conspiracy for them.Everyone is out there to get us.No doubt about it,because we have vast oil ,gold,titanium,coal reserves and Noble prize winning scientists plus world renowed Physicists.Do they think people have time for a country like Pakistan?What is our contributions to the world in the last 100 years apart from suicide bombers and beheadings?

Last edited:
I was at Haaji Sb's outlet this morning. He is my affable hairdresser. After shaving, as he was rubbing potash alum (colloquially known as phitkiri) on my face, he leaned into my ear, and in fittingly conspirational tones, let me in on a bit of inside news.

Before Malala met Obama, her CIA handler, one Vikram Rubenstein-Smith, briefed her and told her to oppose drones, to throw the Muslim Ummah off the track. In days to come, she will also speak out about Kashmir, Chechnya, Bosnia, Syria, Libya, Egypt, Iran, The Rohingas, and the Tamil Muslims of Sri Lanka.

How would Haaji Sb know, you ask? Well, among his clientele are people who know people who know people who know people. Nothing gets past those people, who tell the people, who tell people, who tell other people, who tell Haaji Sb. And he told me. And now I've told you. Spread the truth. Tell people.

I don't get the hate towards this you g girl :-/

people finding it hard to face the shame and embarrassment of not being able to protect a little girl from barbaric terrorists, hence they are lashing out and calling her an opportunist.

though the suggestion that she is being 'propped up' and 'used' by foreign media outlets and organizations is not without merit.

Malaala Aur Abeer Qasim Hamza Al-Janabi – Orya Maqbool Jan

x17837_20810205.jpg.pagespeed.ic.KXjITy87t7.jpg

Now,she has condemned drones,haters would find some other points to attack her.Maybe,why is this girl not speaking for our brothers in Kashmir? or why is this girl not condemning Israel? .

I have already seen one person in FB saying what has she done for our brothers in Syria and Palestine....

Most people don't know the background information of this, but then again they act so ignorant and make such threads.

What most people have in mind is that Malala got shot in the head and after that she started all the awareness thing, but what most ignorant people are not aware of is that Malala first started awarness of what women were facing in swat by Blogging it.

This all started in 2008, she started blogging about the life in Swat when the Taliban were taking over, and knowing that Taliban would attack her if she did wrote this diary blog, she still decided to went on with it.

After that she started to mention how taliban had banned school for girls, and slowly started to get recognized. By 2012 she had got good recognition, and death threats were given through all. She is a user of Facebook, she even received threats through Facebook aswell. After that she din't stop, and then the Taliban attacked her..... Why? For spreading awareness of what was happening in Swatt

Hence, just for the sake of awareness she actually risked her life, got shot in the skull, almost died, and after that got more recognition and she din't stop even after almost dieing, and still continued with her work.

I will be honest, i had no idea about her until she was shot. But before i gave my opinion about her, i actually went through about what she had done(which most people dont bother and go on to critisize her)

Plus after her work, she was being said to be considered for Nobel Prize, which is one of the biggest Awards out there. Someone getting such an award deserves the hype. Only one person won this prize and it was Abdul Salaam, who also was criticize alot by public for being Ahmedi.

Alot of credit goes to her dad, for allowing her to do this, even after knowing her daughters life would be at risk...

Honestly, tell me who would bother to do such an awareness thing? Who would actually risk his life? Even after receiving death threats or getting shot would carry on with such a work that someone would continue to threaten you?

To be honest, i won't, but that doesn't mean i act ignorant and start bashing those people who are actually doing something which I would just imagine of doing and do nothing about it.

So you are saying that TTP were angry because she stood up against them & was raising her voice for what they did in Swat in 2008/2009. Are not their each and every barbaric actions enough to portray them as evil to the world, which are being broadcasted all over the world through print media, electronic media & social media.

Funny thing is that this standing up to TTP and West (Obama) saluting her didn't convinced the NATO forces to eliminate or at least drone TTP bases in Kunnar an area under Afghan government and NATO forces control. Yes one drone attack came as a message when we heard that a talk is about to start between TTP and Pakistan government. And now Afghan Taliban had to come to Kunnar and attack TTP.

Good to hear that she raised drone attacks issue. Now lets hope this little and innocent voice make Obama to rethink his drone policy and we will hear that America has decided to stop drone attacks as it causes more damage to Pakistan and its people and also it is not helping to bring America's image as positive in the eyes of Pakistanis for which they are spending millions of dollars in Pakistani media.

As up till now millions of voices raised against drone strike are not able to make America change their drone policy.

Last edited:
This is true about western media in general...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>If Malala had been murdered in a drone-strike the UK media would never even have told you her name <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23sickhypocrites&src=hash">#sickhypocrites</a></p>— George Galloway (@georgegalloway) <a href="https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/statuses/388930477127897088">October 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would Malala get nominated or get all these awards if she were campaining against drones and wars?

This is true about western media in general...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>If Malala had been murdered in a drone-strike the UK media would never even have told you her name <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23sickhypocrites&src=hash">#sickhypocrites</a></p>— George Galloway (@georgegalloway) <a href="https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/statuses/388930477127897088">October 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

GG for the win.

Bit of a hollow point from Galloway on this occasion. Of course an ideological symbol who gets shot in the head and survives will gain more attention than a villager who gets blown up by a drone. Sorry to be blunt but it's just a crap point.

Bit of a hollow point from Galloway on this occasion. Of course an ideological symbol who gets shot in the head and survives will gain more attention than a villager who gets blown up by a drone. Sorry to be blunt but it's just a crap point.

Yvonne Ridley survived taliban capture and then went on to praise them, didn't catch much of media attention compared to Malala (who was nobody until she started writing against taliban and got shot later).

You can't deny the fact if Malala was writing against drones/WOT (in BBC diaries which is impossible to start with) she would never be get nominated for all these awards and peace prizes.

Last edited:
Yvonne Ridley survived taliban captured and then went on to praise them, didn't catch much of media attention compared to Malala (who was nobody until she started writing against taliban and got shot later).

You can't deny the fact if Malala was writing against drones/WOT (in BBC diaries which is impossible to start with) she would never be get nominated for all these awards and peace prizes.

Malala contains more inspiration, leadership quality and charisma in her little finger than most people could ever muster, including Yvonne Ridley who has tried to enter British politics and public life repeatedly and proven to be entirely mediocre.

From what I can see Malala's latest statements condemn drone strikes while also maintaining a beautiful argument for the emancipation and education of women, and she remains a huge public figure. So why not get past your own preconceptions and politics and get over yourself?

Last edited:
Malala contains more inspiration, leadership quality and charisma in her little finger than most people could ever muster, including Yvonne Ridley who has tried to enter British politics and public life repeatedly and proven to be entirely mediocre.

From what I can see Malala's latest statements condemn drone strikes while also maintaining a beautiful argument for the emancipation and education of women, and she remains a huge public figure. So why not get past your own preconceptions and politics and get over yourself?

James, the real problem here is petty nationalism.

People would rather that a girl not bring to light some pretty abhorrent problems so long as the image of their country stays in tact.

This has nothing to do with Western media, it's all irrelevant. One needs to look no further than how this country treats rape victims who speak out.

Much of this nation's culture condones suppression and silence. The country is too proud, too egotistical, and medieval concepts like shame and honor still reign high.

Who is arguing the qualities of Malala here? The criticism is of western media and powers which you can try hard but can't sweep their hypocrisy under carpet.

James, the real problem here is petty nationalism.

People would rather that a girl not bring to light some pretty abhorrent problems so long as the image of their country stays in tact.

This has nothing to do with Western media, it's all irrelevant. One needs to look no further than how this country treats rape victims who speak out.

Much of this nation's culture condones suppression and silence. The country is too proud, too egotistical, and medieval concepts like shame and honor still reign high.

Making hollow statements about the so-called western media is far more meaningful and productive than the rationalism, honesty and logic you've just used. Take your leave sir. ;-)

Yvonne Ridley survived taliban captured and then went on to praise them, didn't catch much of media attention compared to Malala (who was nobody until she started writing against taliban and got shot later).

I agree to some extent that there is some element of self-congratulation in the western media where some commentators have used Malala's case to justify the last 12 years of the WOT. However I don't accept this false equivalency from the anti-Malala brigade, who seek to undermine her campaign at every turn.

She gets a lot of coverage due to the typical western perception of Muslim women, that they are burka-clad, locked up for 24 hours a day and wholly subservient to a dominant male - all of which Malala totally defies. People are just not used to seeing a confident, resilient young Pakistani girl speak up like this on the world stage - and is a powerful symbol of the women's rights movement, much like Mandela was a symbol of the anti-apartheid campaign.

He was hardly a friend of the west, spoke some uncomfortable home truths about the hypocrisy of the west on apartheid, and was condemned as a far-left terrorist and now here he is as a worldwide heroic figure.

Heck I agree with the anti-drone stance but bringing up drones in every damn subject related to the Taliban gets tiresome. Its as if you cannot condemn the Taliban without condemning drones - and you see such strawman, such false equivalences being brought up by the likes of George Galloway - who should be focusing on his own party speaking out against him in his OWN constituency instead of grandstanding on foreign affairs.

I agree with the posters who mention this idea of shame and the comparison to rape victims - its this uncomfortable home truths that Pakistanis just don't want to be reminded of, combined with this idea of family honour, they don't want to hear about oppression within their own communities, and pushes them into an even more parochial, xenophobic and defensive position where the blame is the west and everyone else's but theirs.

@Markhor & James

Once again I am not anti-Malala! I support her efforts and stance and I despise terrorists. You both misunderstood the point of my posts. If same Malala was writing diaries for BBC (if they allowed at all) against WOT and drones linking them to 'increase terrorism' and consequently attacks on schools and women education then would they give her such coverage?

This was simple question without any intention to downplay the Malala's campaign for education.

I worry about the implications of your posting. If you really supported Malala and viewed the difference between her and the Taliban unambiguously, then we wouldn't have seen those posts. That's my tempted opinion. But you've been an excellent poster in the past so I will trust you.

zimmz I didn't say you specifically were against Malala but was explaining why it is such a unique case, she genuinely defies so many perceptions of Pakistani women here in the west. People don't necessarily need to be on the side of the west in order to receive accolades, as I mentioned was the case with Mandela.

Like I said, I agree with you about the double standards and back slapping on the part of some commentators in the west but this anti-drones point is getting so tiresome.

These anti-drone campaigners are sitting safely, many in the west, behind their PCs acting like the moral policemen of the world. We get it, the drone attacks are wrong, but nobody is stopping the anti-drone campaigners from protesting, they can do so freely without repercussions.

However it is unlike Malala who has received death threats just for demanding the right to education. It is a young girl from a highly repressive and patriarchal society where young women are not encouraged to stand up for themselves, coming from a part of the world ravaged by war for the last 12 years, and is speaking so eloquently on the world stage - that is why this case is so unique and captivating people around the world.

I don't understand so many people on the internet who have this desire to be contrarian about popular public figures and seek to tear them down at every turn.

LOL at the people saying Malala will do this and that to help pakistan.At most she will help her province or swat.If guy like Imran Khan can't win pakistan she have no chance to rule Pakistan.

Her father's using her for fortune.
The Western media is using her for some sick angle of justification.
The TTP is getting their jollies off trying to stay relevant in this whole ordeal, what with the letter writing and the 'expressing their delight'.

It's a circus. Almost cartoonish. I'm good on the sidelines waiting for the day a survivor of Israeli or American atrocities gets propped up in the same fashion. It's going to be a long wait.

I do agree that our treatment of rape victims is atrocious; really need to get our act together.

Markhor drones is just one example if it is tiresome, you can replace it with any issue that exposes the wast. One again I would rather Pakstan, Saudi Arab, china or any country not involved in propaganda capmaings expose the women issue in media but I have no trust in 'western' media. Like James worry about implication of my comments, I worry about implications of unbalanced coverage to Malala. Remember weapons of mass destruction prior to recent Iraq war, remember Nayirah before previous gulf war? I know in both these examples media did propaganda based on false reports while Malala's story is as true as it can be. But still the intentions of western media and powers is there for every to see...

It is so strange how Pakistanis seem to be apathetic when they get ****ed over by Pakistan's government, but when Pakistanis gets ****ed over by a foreign government - then we see the flags being burnt, the effigies defaced and the conspiracies written up.

Agreed. If you consider them enemies, then it's perfectly reasonable to assume that they're taking measures to weaken you. That's fine and dandy. What about the clowns that are breaking you from the inside. The so called 'leaders' who have a thing for 'bloodsucking'.

Markhor drones is just one example if it is tiresome, you can replace it with any issue that exposes the wast. One again I would rather Pakstan, Saudi Arab, china or any country not involved in propaganda capmaings expose the women issue in media but I have no trust in 'western' media. Like James worry about implication of my comments, I worry about implications of unbalanced coverage to Malala. Remember weapons of mass destruction prior to recent Iraq war, remember Nayirah before previous gulf war? I know in both these examples media did propaganda based on false reports while Malala's story is as true as it can be. But still the intentions of western media and powers is there for every to see...

The west simply don't care about public opinion or justification if it means achieving a goal. The 2003 Iraq War was universally condemned, even after the WMD scare stories the public opinion polls showed widespread opposition and still it went ahead so they could topple Saddam.

Despite complete public opposition to intervention in Syria, the US, France and the UK all still wanted to press ahead with it.

No doubt the propaganda machine is rolling during a war, but what has the west got to justify at this point in the WOT now ? They are pulling out of Afghanistan next year, got out of Iraq and the public is completely war-weary. Even drones doesn't require justification as the majority of people in the US support it (61%).

The irony being - the gender most disapproving of drone attacks ? Women.

^ Moving out of Afghanistan yet keep attacking Pakistan and want us to keep involved, interfering in our military and political setup....for what? and since propaganda is a common tool (no matter if majority public approves of war or drones) why would they not use Malala?

Saqs gave a very good analogy yesterday. I repeat it. There is a fight between two persons in home and a third one is trying to solve the issue. Now an outsider get to know it and interfere by telling one of the party is right and other is wrong. If this outsider is known for ill-intentions then either fight spreads or all members become united and fight against outsider. The only exception is if outsider is a proven/trusted person then the issue is resolved faster. As i mentioned if media from some other countries like china , saudi arabia, iran turkey or any country perceived to be generally good towards Pakistan were to highlight Malala's efforts then i doubt any one in Pakistan will be complaining.

Her father's using her for fortune.
The Western media is using her for some sick angle of justification.
The TTP is getting their jollies off trying to stay relevant in this whole ordeal, what with the letter writing and the 'expressing their delight'.

It's a circus. Almost cartoonish. I'm good on the sidelines waiting for the day a survivor of Israeli or American atrocities gets propped up in the same fashion. It's going to be a long wait.

I do agree that our treatment of rape victims is atrocious; really need to get our act together.

Pathetic, falsely judgmental, and outright baseless accusation.

Malala elegantly dismissing conspiracies:

Child-rights icon Malala Yousafzai has called on conspiracy theorists and critics in Pakistan to think about her message before condemning her. In an interview, Malala says her intentions in promoting the rights of girls and women are pure.

In Pakistan, some people claim that you did not write the blog for BBC Urdu that brought you into the limelight. How would you respond to such assertions?

The month of January in 2009 was the most dangerous of times in Swat. Every night the Taliban used to slaughter two or three people in Green Square in the center of Mingora. One day that month, my father told me that a BBC journalist was requesting a blog by one of our students. He asked me, 'Would you like to do it?' I told him, "Sure, I will do it because it is a good opportunity for us to tell the world what the people of Swat—the children and, specifically, the girls here—think." I was very happy and told my father that I would write the blog or would just dictate it over the phone.

Some Pakistanis believe and publically say that you were not shot by the Taliban and you just made it up. How do you feel when you hear such comments?

People who say such things can be forgiven. There is extreme hopelessness in our country and people are even disappointed with politicians. The important thing to note is that it is not important whether Malala was shot or not—Malala is not asking for personal favors or support. She is asking for support with girls' education and women's rights. So don't support Malala, support her campaign for girls' education and women's rights.

Some of your critics say that Malala is not true to her cause but has merely turned into a brand. How do you respond to such criticism?

People say Malala's voice is being sold to the world. But I see it as Malala's voice reaching the world and resonating globally. You should think about what is behind Malala's voice. What is she saying? I am only talking about education, women's rights, and peace. I want poverty to end in tomorrow's Pakistan. I want every girl in Pakistan to go to school.

Some clerics in Pakistan say that you are being manipulated by the West for their own objectives, and that your rise is part of a conspiracy against the country. Do you see any merit in such allegations?

Any talk of me engaging in a conspiracy against Pakistan is completely baseless. Pakistan is already in the midst of many conspiracies. The situation there has been deteriorating for a long time. We have not gone a day without hearing about a few people being shot in [the southern seaport city of] Karachi. We have not gone a day without people being murdered. I want people to remember that Pakistan is my country. It is like my mother and I love it dearly. Even if its people hate me, I will still love it.

So you are not being used by the West?

In countries other than Pakistan—I won't necessarily call them "Western"—people support me. This is because people there respect others. They don't do this because I am a Pashtun or a Punjabi, a Pakistani, or an Iranian, they do it because of one's words and character. This is why I am being respected and supported there.

After your speech to the United Nations some people in Pakistan said you were trying to please everyone...

I don't agree with my speech being seen as an effort to please someone. I wanted it to be seen as what I stand for. I thought that after recovering from the attack people everywhere wanted to hear what I had to say. They wanted to know whether I was intimidated by the attack. They wanted to know whether I still wanted to take my campaign for girls' education forward. I used the speech to spread the message that Malala is undeterred and that she is determined to take her campaign for girls' education forward.

Adnan Rashid, a Pakistani Taliban commander, recently wrote an open letter to you. He alleged that your campaign was not aimed at promoting education and was really targeted against the Taliban. How would you respond to him?

It was his right to express his views. I think I have a right to live my life the way I like. I did not engage in propaganda against the Taliban, I only spoke about girls' right to education, and the Taliban had banned girls from going to school. So I am against some of the things that the Taliban has done and advocates. No doubt I am against banning children from education. I stand for every girl to be able to go to school.

They gave 'peace' prize to Obama IIRC last year. So this political BS. I am happy she didn't get the noble, this way her name won't be mentioned with ppl like Obama.

Malala is true pride of Pakistan :) A symbol (I hope you get it some day)

Obama has done more for the cause of Peace then Malala can ever dream of.
At least Obama has made practical efforts to achieve peace, unlike Malala who has only talked.

Great, so when are we gonna see you go and raise these issues amongst taliban rather than just typing them out in a forum which will do nothing?

What has she achieved by raising these issues among the Taliban?

Me typing my ideas on a Forum is as ineffective as whatever Malala has said, considering she has done nothing.

If you have great ideas,what are you doing on PP,go out and make a difference.

How has Malala made a difference?
Has she made a difference even in Mingora, the place where she comes from?

I don't think so.

She is a muslim. What she does is for the betterment of the ummah at large, not just some lines scrabbled into the ground...unless you dont agree with Islam about nationalism.

Nation above Allah statistics?

What has Malala done for the Ummah?
Name on thing?

All she has done is talked, nothing else there has not been anything practical thing done by her that benefited Pakistan or anybody else.

Last i checked Bomb Blasts are happening all around me, and people are dying.
My house was also been damaged severely in an explosion a few years ago.
Its the way it is in Pakistan, many kids even die because of the Terrorists, i do not see them get any coverage, or am i missing something and Malala is more special then them?

Many of them even die because of the lack of medical facilities i do not see any efforts being done to save them nor do i see them even being transported to areas with better medical facilities.

She's already achieved what most of us couldn't in our whole life. We live in a sexist society and that needs to change. She's the only thing positive to come out of pakistan after a long time so appreciate, don't hate. Unless you're envious of course

What has she achieved?

What has she achieved?

Nothing just nothing apart from securing a Job for her oppurtunist Father( Lowlife that uses his own daughter for a better life ). Shaking hands with Obama, Beckhem and other bigwigs.

Has become a sign of Muslim oppression of Women, that gladdens the heart of everyone in the West with anti-Muslim prejudice and also justifies the invasion of many Muslim countries.

Last edited:
Obama has done more for the cause of Peace then Malala can ever dream of.
At least Obama has made practical efforts to achieve peace, unlike Malala who has only talked.

What has she achieved by raising these issues among the Taliban?

Me typing my ideas on a Forum is as ineffective as whatever Malala has said, considering she has done nothing.

How has Malala made a difference?
Has she made a difference even in Mingora, the place where she comes from?

I don't think so.

What has Malala done for the Ummah?
Name on thing?

All she has done is talked, nothing else there has not been anything practical thing done by her that benefited Pakistan or anybody else.

Its the way it is in Pakistan, many kids even die because of the Terrorists, i do not see them get any coverage, or am i missing something and Malala is more special then them?

Many of them even die because of the lack of medical facilities i do not see any efforts being done to save them nor do i see them even being transported to areas with better medical facilities.
The first step towards a problem is raising awareness ,do you understand or no?People praise IK,although he did nothing,he raised awareness about what our corrupt politicians were doing and what were our problems.Raising awareness is the first step to solve a problem .It allows you to understand your problems and rectify them.

Last edited:
Nothing just nothing apart from securing a Job for her oppurtunist Father( Lowlife that uses his own daughter for a better life ). Shaking hands with Obama, Beckhem and other bigwigs.

Has become a sign of Muslim oppression of Women, that gladdens the heart of everyone in the West with anti-Muslim prejudice and also justifies the invasion of many Muslim countries.

You could have simply written, nothing.

The first step towards a problem is raising awareness ,do you understand or no?People praise IK,although he did nothing,he raised awareness about what our corrupt politicians were doing and what were our problems.Raising awareness is the first step to solve a problem .It allows you to understand your problems and rectify them.

Do not compare Imran Khan with Malala, Imran Khan has done a lot to benefit the public, Malala has done nothing apart from writing/saying stuff that people have liked.

I want people to remember that Pakistan is my country. It is like my mother and I love it dearly. Even if its people hate me, I will still love it.

All debate, pro- and anti-Malala aside, these are poignant words, words that perhaps only an expatriate/exile can fully fathom. The heartrending pining and the longing one can only truly feel from thousands of miles away.

And for some of us, the maligned "liberal scum" minority, there is the added realization that our country doesn't really belong to us anymore. The rampant right-wing in all its hues truly holds sway. The TTP and their many factions, the romanticization of the Afghan Taliban, the many sectarian parties, the JI, the JUI that is ubiquitous in every government, the Tableeghis that march like marauding armies through every nook and corner, the Wahhabism that is fast becoming the default Islam, the inexorable Saudification, the preponderance of beards and burkas and niqabs and hijabs, the pretentious throaty Arabization of the language itself, the wonton disregard for religious minorities, the reincarnation of Jinnah himself as a righteous Muslim, the PTI, the PML in all its iterations.

It doesn't diminish one's love for the beloved mother in any way. But the realization that the benevolent mother of yore is no more, that now a malevolent stepmother holds sway, gnaws at one. Stabs at one's very heart. Rips one's very soul to shreds.

Last edited:
^ Amazing post, once again!!!

----

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>From an international union to an institution. Next year the award will just go to either a lamp post or the concept of goodness.</p>— Sami Shah (@samishah) <a href="https://twitter.com/samishah/statuses/388650602676244480">October 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

All debate, pro- and anti-Malala aside, these are poignant words, words that perhaps only an expatriate/exile can fully fathom. The heartrending pining and the longing one can only truly feel from thousands of miles away.

And for some of us, the maligned "liberal scum" minority, there is the added realization that our country doesn't really belong to us anymore. The rampant right-wing in all its hues truly holds sway. The TTP and their many factions, the romanticization of the Afghan Taliban, the many sectarian parties, the JI, the JUI that is ubiquitous in every government, the Tableeghis that march like marauding armies through every nook and corner, the Wahhabism that is fast becoming the default Islam, the inexorable Saudification, the preponderance of beards and burkas and niqabs and hijabs, the pretentious throaty Arabization of the language itself, the wonton disregard for religious minorities, the reincarnation of Jinnah himself as a righteous Muslim, the PTI, the PML in all its iterations.

It doesn't diminish one's love for the beloved mother in any way. But the realization that the benevolent mother of yore is no more, that now a malevolent stepmother holds sway, gnaws at one. Stabs at one's very heart. Rips one's very soul to shreds.

Gorgeously worded! If ever a reminder were needed that we are on the right side of the argument, this was it.

The first thing that happens after a bomb blast is that the perpetrators, when known, are hated and if necessary attacked.

In Pakistan you have a situation, where the TTP is glorified and even when they slaughter policemen and kill children and people in Masajid, a large portion of Pakistanis go out of their way to defend them and lay the blame on US, Mossad, India etc.

The onus is on Pakistani and Muslim media to expose and support action against them.

Concur with James & Coke...extremely well put.

Saqs gave a very good analogy yesterday. I repeat it. There is a fight between two persons in home and a third one is trying to solve the issue. Now an outsider get to know it and interfere by telling one of the party is right and other is wrong. If this outsider is known for ill-intentions then either fight spreads or all members become united and fight against outsider. The only exception is if outsider is a proven/trusted person then the issue is resolved faster. As i mentioned if media from some other countries like china , saudi arabia, iran turkey or any country perceived to be generally good towards Pakistan were to highlight Malala's efforts then i doubt any one in Pakistan will be complaining.

The issue here is people are painting the vast majority of us who are questioning the media's role in this as anti Malala.

Yes there are some misguided posters here who would rather believe in conspiracies and say she is an agent and all that and denounce what she is standing up for because they are too ashamed of the issue.

But there are some of us here who appreciate her message yet are seasoned enough to know that nobody in politics props you up for no underlying gain that they have in mind.

Has been a while since I've read something so poetic on here.

to
You could have simply written, nothing.

Do not compare Imran Khan with Malala, Imran Khan has done a lot to benefit the public, Malala has done nothing apart from writing/saying stuff that people have liked.

You do not seem to understand.She is raising awareness,do you even understand this two words?She is just a little girl,do you think she has the resources to transform the whole ummah as you want her?

The first thing that happens after a bomb blast is that the perpetrators, when known, are hated and if necessary attacked.

In Pakistan you have a situation, where the TTP is glorified and even when they slaughter policemen and kill children and people in Masajid, a large portion of Pakistanis go out of their way to defend them and lay the blame on US, Mossad, India etc.

The onus is on Pakistani and Muslim media to expose and support action against them.

No one here is supporting the Taliban, i am just pointing out that Malala is not what we and our media are making out to be and here actual contribution to the betterment of Pakistan is zero.

Iqbal Masih was a 12 year old kid, and he helped many people much more than Malal who hasn't helped anyone.

to

You do not seem to understand.She is raising awareness,do you even understand this two words?She is just a little girl,do you think she has the resources to transform the whole ummah as you want her?

Raising resources is as good as doing nothing because you are not doing anything in practical, and also her "raising awareness" hasn't affected anybody but given her more publicity.

No one here is supporting the Taliban, i am just pointing out that Malala is not what we and our media are making out to be and here actual contribution to the betterment of Pakistan is zero.

Iqbal Masih was a 12 year old kid, and he helped many people much more than Malal who hasn't helped anyone.

Raising resources is as good as doing nothing because you are not doing anything in practical, and also her "raising awareness" hasn't affected anybody but given her more publicity.

According to you,the WHO and other NGOs should stop raising awareness about AIDS ,HIV etc as they are not helping other people monetarily.Raising awreness is the first step towards solving a problem.You should understand this.For example,If Martin Luther King had never spoken against racial inequality,do you think the African Americans would have got their rights?Speaking against injustice and raising awareness is the first step to solve any problem.I hope you understand this.

Brilliantly put. I hoped after the shooting there would be serious introspection as to how Pakistani society has drifted to this state. Instead of debating solutions to this extremist poison that is scarring society, people are debating if she got shot or not, or whether she is some western spy. Instead its business as usual with the same defensive, parochial mindset.

According to you,the WHO and other NGOs should stop raising awareness about AIDS ,HIV etc as they are not helping other people monetarily.Raising awreness is the first step towards solving a problem.You should understand this.For example,If Martin Luther King had never spoken against racial inequality,do you think the African Americans would have got their rights?Speaking against injustice and raising awareness is the first step to solve any problem.I hope you understand this.

Raising awareness about what?

That Terrorism is bad for Pakistan, or that Education is a necessity?

Everyone already knows that.

Go ask a 12 year old kid in Pakistan about what can be done to improve Pakistan and he would say these exact things.

Go ask a 12 year old kid in Pakistan about what can be done to improve Pakistan and he would say these exact things.

Why is it then that from the general community only one young girl has the courage to speak out publicly?

Why hasn't anybody else done it?

Why haven't you?

You sure everyone knows the importance of education in Pakistan?Explain the female literacy of less than 50% in Pakistan?

You do not understand the concept of raising awareness.Every major change that was brought in the past 100 years was due to someone speaking against tyranny,injustice and discrimination.Do you even know the history?Why is Martin Luther King remembered all over the world.Have you even read about him?

Why is it then that from the general community only one young girl has the courage to speak out publicly?

Why hasn't anybody else done it?

Why haven't you?

Many have done it, no one has gotten as much publicity as Malala though.

You sure everyone knows the importance of education in Pakistan?Explain the female literacy of less than 50% in Pakistan?

You do not understand the concept of raising awareness.Every major change that was brought in the past 100 years was due to someone speaking against tyranny,injustice and discrimination.Do you even know the history?Why is Martin Luther King remembered all over the world.Have you even read about him?

Do not compare MLK with Malala, MLK did a lot of practical things aswell.

Probably because they didn't survive those attacks and Malala did.

I am sure there have been activists in these communities that have been kidnapped and taken away without a word heard from them. Plenty of unknown heroes out there.

Malala happened to survive. Which makes the case special.

The most vitriolic stuff I see from Pakistanis online tends to come from "exiles", or those with an axe to grind. I've seen it in every Pakistan forum. Then they are usually lauded by non-Pakistanis who would be outraged if similar "exiles" maligned their old country while sitting abroad with a brand spanking new passport.

Last edited:
Share some examples.

Off all the students that go to school in those tribal areas 61% are girls, all of them too go to get education risking their lives and opposing the Taliban(The taliban have threatened to blow up any school that supports women education).

“There’s not just Malala,” says Azka Yamin, a 14 year-old schoolgirl who says she devours novels and loves debating competitions. “There are thousands like her.” Azka says that she has a friend from the Tirah Valley, near Pakistan’s tribal areas, whose family said she couldn’t pursue her education. “When I heard her brother say, ‘What are you going to do with education?’ I wanted to slap him!” she says, almost trembling with rage.

Azka has a kindred contempt for the Taliban. “These people aren’t Muslims,” she says. “How dare they stop girls from getting an education? Where in the Quran does Allah says girls can’t get an education?” she asks indignantly. The group of schoolgirls all look forward to lengthy careers. “We’re not going to stop working after we get married like some women do,” says Sharmeen Farooq, another 14-year-old. But they are the lucky ones.

The only difference between them and Malala is that Malala got more publicity.

Probably because they didn't survive those attacks and Malala did.

I am sure there have been activists in these communities that have been kidnapped and taken away without a word heard from them. Plenty of unknown heroes out there.

Malala happened to survive. Which makes the case special.

Well i guess when a person dies fighting for a cause he deserves more publicity?

Do not compare MLK with Malala, MLK did a lot of practical things aswell.

You seemed to be confused.I am talking about the initial stage.Every single movement begins with raising awareness.It is a simple concept which you prefer not to understand.Even though this little girl has done nothing practical till now,she will do that in the future.Inshallah.

Also,you did not answer my question regarding female literacy in Pakistan.

Marvelous post!

Actually, I am not at all surprised by the hate, resentment, guilt, shame, etc. being expressed by the anti-Malala crowd. It's a male dominated world, esp. Pakistani society being one of the most patriarchal cultures of all. A woman let alone a a teenage girl getting so much world fame, attention, respect....hard to expect them to swallow such travesty with ease. (Reminds me of their treatment of BB) Of course, the easiest and perhaps intellectually laziest argument to make against her is to call her a western agent or a stooge. Perhaps they don't realize or maybe they do but won't say that by making such a case they are concurring with her tormentors, the Taliban. The other deflection being thrown around is the drone victim scenario. What if she was a drone victim. Had the west raised her status like they are doing now. To answer that, let's just become aware for a moment of the fact that a drone killed Baitullah Mehsud, head of TTP, yes TTP not Afghan Taliban. (Even though a certain Lal topi clown will want to make you believe that ISI managed to trick the CIA into killing him, yes the same highly competent ISI who knew or were oblivious to Osama hiding in their midst and were caught with their pants down when he was scooped up by the Yanks without even a whimper from them). In other words, drones are killing the monsters responsible for killing innocent people including shooting a teenage girl in the head for the grave crime of promoting girls education. How ironic.

I would refer to an excellent article written by Cyril Almedia in Dawn. It's the decline in the stature of our state, that we as citizens no longer believe in the notion of Pakistan as a state able to provide for its people. Therefore, alternative narratives like the one from Taliban, get the space to take effect. If we were not so hapless and dysfunctional, maybe just maybe our people would not have resorted to associating themselves with such medieval nonsense like Sharia Law etc. Malala shows them the ugly face of Pakistan they try so hard to avoid. That she belongs to a country where a girl gets shot for going to school. Imagine. They know what the world must be thinking of their beloved "land of the pure" country now. No need to take it out on Malala. Just accept what you see in the mirror. Work to change it not resort to conspiracy theories. At least that's what Malala is doing.

Actually, I am not at all surprised by the hate, resentment, guilt, shame, etc. being expressed by the anti-Malala crowd. It's a male dominated world, esp. Pakistani society being one of the most patriarchal cultures of all. A woman let alone a a teenage girl getting so much world fame, attention, respect....hard to expect them to swallow such travesty with ease. (Reminds me of their treatment of BB) Of course, the easiest and perhaps intellectually laziest argument to make against her is to call her a western agent or a stooge. Perhaps they don't realize or maybe they do but won't say that by making such a case they are concurring with her tormentors, the Taliban. The other deflection being thrown around is the drone victim scenario. What if she was a drone victim. Had the west raised her status like they are doing now. To answer that, let's just become aware for a moment of the fact that a drone killed Baitullah Mehsud, head of TTP, yes TTP not Afghan Taliban. (Even though a certain Lal topi clown will want to make you believe that ISI managed to trick the CIA into killing him, yes the same highly competent ISI who knew or were oblivious to Osama hiding in their midst and were caught with their pants down when he was scooped up by the Yanks without even a whimper from them). In other words, drones are killing the monsters responsible for killing innocent people including shooting a teenage girl in the head for the grave crime of promoting girls education. How ironic.

I would refer to an excellent article written by Cyril Almedia in Dawn. It's the decline in the stature of our state, that we as citizens no longer believe in the notion of Pakistan as a state able to provide for its people. Therefore, alternative narratives like the one from Taliban, get the space to take effect. If we were not so hapless and dysfunctional, maybe just maybe our people would not have resorted to associating themselves with such medieval nonsense like Sharia Law etc. Malala shows them the ugly face of Pakistan they try so hard to avoid. That she belongs to a country where a girl gets shot for going to school. Imagine. They know what the world must be thinking of their beloved "land of the pure" country now. No need to take it out on Malala. Just accept what you see in the mirror. Work to change it not resort to conspiracy theories. At least that's what Malala is doing.

Good shout. Welcome back.

and Sadibaba is back with a bang . you were missed bro , welcome back!

Yvonne Ridley survived taliban capture and then went on to praise them, didn't catch much of media attention compared to Malala (who was nobody until she started writing against taliban and got shot later).

agree but shushhhh some peple would just find it difficult to absorb and label you Pro taliban stufff..amazingly they suffer from short term memory loss.

Long post.

Drones have resulted in the deaths of too many innocents to be justified, sorry. Their success rate is atrociously low. You cannot ignore the loss of life that is caused.

The American policy is not an angelic one either. Is it not responsible for shocking atrocities as well? If you consider the Taliban animals for killing children, then the people responsible for the phony policies behind the Iraq war are more animalistic than ever.

This is a great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think one of the problems is that those who are in position to make a real difference in the country don't have any emotional investment to do so. Criticism and self analysis is crucial for renewal and growth, but if there is no hope or belief in the future and it becomes a descent into sectarian or regional blame game then it's not surprising that the country is fragmenting, and I guess that will only work in the favour of the outlaws.

Drones have resulted in the deaths of too many innocents to be justified, sorry. Their success rate is atrociously low. You cannot ignore the loss of life that is caused.

The American policy is not an angelic one either. Is it not responsible for shocking atrocities as well? If you consider the Taliban animals for killing children, then the people responsible for the phony policies behind the Iraq war are more animalistic than ever.

How many innocent deaths justify a strike ? And which war policy has ever been angelic.

The difference between drone strikes and what TTP does is simple. Drones are aimed at bad guys and in the process innocent get killed. TTP suicide bombers blow themselves up in the middle of a crowded bazaar. They end up killing only innocents. How can that be equivalent to drones.

Great stuff. I read Cyril Almeida's article and it was spot on.

And baba is back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You seemed to be confused.I am talking about the initial stage.Every single movement begins with raising awareness.It is a simple concept which you prefer not to understand.Even though this little girl has done nothing practical till now,she will do that in the future.Inshallah.

Also,you did not answer my question regarding female literacy in Pakistan.

Only practical actions are needed now, people are aware enough of the problems already.
Hence that is the reason why i say that Malala Yousafzai's contribution towards peace or anything benefiting Pakistan for that matter is zero.

A system which asks that we cut hands of thieves, chop heads of murderers, in which the crime for apostasy is the death penalty...etc. YES. It is medieval and is not compatible with our current universal human rights. To expect a 1400 year old system to still be relevant is plain lunacy.

Back