Manchester United | 2023/24 Season

Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag on Jadon Sancho's absence today:

"On his performance on training we didn't select him.
"You have to reach the level every day at Manchester United.
"You can make choices in the front line, so in this game he wasn't selected."

I watched parts of the game and the parts I watched Arsenal were dominating posession and creating chances. No surprise they won.

United look slow in their movement compared to Arsenal who in turn look slightly slow compared to City.

Jonny Evans and Harry Maguire in defence to finish that game seemed like a curious choice.

Horrible brand of football and rubbish defenders. Imagine playing with a defence of Maguire and Evans in 2023 :ROFLMAO: . That isn't on Ten Hag but what is Ten Hag's fault is the awful brand of football. We best improve otherwise he won't last long.

As for Sancho, he can get lost tomorrow. Overhyped English player who is a waste of space.

Former Manchester United and Spain goalkeeper David de Gea, 32, is among a number of players available on free transfers that are interesting Saudi clubs.

Man U were doing well for a long period of time in that game.

Horrible brand of football and rubbish defenders. Imagine playing with a defence of Maguire and Evans in 2023 :ROFLMAO: . That isn't on Ten Hag but what is Ten Hag's fault is the awful brand of football. We best improve otherwise he won't last long.

As for Sancho, he can get lost tomorrow. Overhyped English player who is a waste of space.
You cannot be a top team in 2023 that just sits back and counters, you can pinch a few goals here and there with individual brilliance, but it's not a viable way to consistently win big games. That was Ole's downfall, and Ten Hag is looking no different.

Ten Hag's imprint is there in United's high pressing, but in possession yesterday they just looked clueless passing it round the back with 0 penetration until Onana tries a long ball and gives the ball back to us.

Man U were doing well for a long period of time in that game.
define "well" and which periods? I must have watched a different game. They played the tactics of a relegation team and were relying on Arsenal making a mistake to create a chance for them which to be fair happened with the Havertz bad pass. But I dont get this "united did well" narrative. Poor Poor side and Arsenal gave them to much respect in the 1st half and let them keep the ball in their half.

define "well" and which periods? I must have watched a different game. They played the tactics of a relegation team and were relying on Arsenal making a mistake to create a chance for them which to be fair happened with the Havertz bad pass. But I dont get this "united did well" narrative. Poor Poor side and Arsenal gave them to much respect in the 1st half and let them keep the ball in their half.

I must have watched another game where they had a goal disallowed and a few near misses.

Arsenal missed some sitters but at the end of the day they got lucky as well.

I am not complaining as an Arsenal fan but to think we outclassed them is wrong.

Which near misses? The offside goal fair enough.
They had some moments but I dont agree with "long periods". All their stuff came in transition

Yes Outclassed is not accurate. We should have but showed them to much respect. But Arsenal deserved the win.

I must have watched another game where they had a goal disallowed and a few near misses.

Arsenal missed some sitters but at the end of the day they got lucky as well.

I am not complaining as an Arsenal fan but to think we outclassed them is wrong.
100% spot on and well balanced view.

More problems for Ten Haag and Utd. After Greenwood now this.
Antony: Brazil drop Manchester United winger after abuse allegations

Brazil have dropped Manchester United winger Antony following allegations of abuse by his former girlfriend.

The Brazilian football federation said the 23-year-old had been withdrawn from the squad after "facts became public" that "need to be investigated".

Brazilian news outlet UOL published allegations made by Antony's ex-partner on Monday.

Police in Sao Paulo and Greater Manchester are investigating the claims, which the player has denied.

"I can calmly state that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and the other evidence that will be produced demonstrate that I am innocent of the accusations made," Antony said on social media.

"I trust that the ongoing police investigations will demonstrate the truth about my innocence."

Antony is accused of attacking his former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin "with a headbutt" in a Manchester hotel room on 15 January, leaving her with a cut head which needed treatment from a doctor.

She also alleges she was punched in the chest, causing damage to a silicone breast implant, which required corrective surgery.

Antony added in his statement on Monday that his relationship with his former partner was "tumultuous", but insisted he "never committed any physical aggression".

He also released a statement in June saying he had been falsely accused by his former girlfriend of domestic violence.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said it is "aware of the allegations made and enquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report".

It added: "We will not be commenting any further at this time."

Manchester United said they had no comment on the matter at present when contacted by BBC Sport.

The allegations come after the Premier League club announced last month that forward Mason Greenwood would leave by mutual agreement following a six-month internal investigation.

Charges against Greenwood, including rape and assault, were dropped in February. The 21-year-old joined Spanish side Getafe on loan last week.

Antony has been replaced in the Brazil squad by Arsenal striker Gabriel Jesus for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Bolivia and Peru.

Could be serious if Brazil have dropped him. Maybe something more will come out.

I genuinley hope he is not guilty. Its impossible to say these days, as football stars are becoming targets of women.

Humans, men need companionship or have desires but if you're in your early 20's , playing for a huge club like Utd, forget anything else and concentrate on your football!

Manchester United's share price is on track for its worst day after £550m was wiped off the value of the club at the lowest point of the shares today.

Manchester United have spent a record £1.19bn more on transfers over the past decade than they have recouped through player sales, according to a new study.

Since 2014 United have spent about £1.67bn on new players, and brought in about £481m, says Swiss-based research institute, CIES Football Observatory.

Chelsea are second with a negative net spend of £883m, followed by French side Paris St-Germain with £863m.

Arsenal (£745m) and Manchester City (£732m) complete the top five.

A total of 13 Premier League clubs are in the top 20.

Antony: Manchester United take allegations against Brazil winger 'seriously'

Manchester United say they are taking allegations made against winger Antony "seriously" after he was accused of abusing his former girlfriend.

Brazilian news outlet UOL published allegations made by Antony's ex-partner on Monday.

Police in Sao Paulo and Greater Manchester are investigating the claims, which the player has denied.

The 23-year-old was withdrawn from the Brazil squad after news of the allegations emerged.

United said: "Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony and notes that the police are conducting enquiries. Pending further information, the club will be making no further comments.

"As a club we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact of these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse."

Antony said on social media: "I can calmly state that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and the other evidence that will be produced demonstrate that I am innocent of the accusations made."

Antony is accused of attacking his former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin "with a headbutt" in a Manchester hotel room on 15 January, leaving her with a cut head which needed treatment from a doctor.

She also alleges she was punched in the chest, causing damage to a silicone breast implant, which required corrective surgery.

Antony added in his statement on Monday that his relationship with his former partner was "tumultuous", but insisted he "never committed any physical aggression".

He also released a statement in June saying he had been falsely accused by his former girlfriend of domestic violence.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said it is "aware of the allegations made and enquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report".

It added: "We will not be commenting any further at this time."

Antony is a horrible individual. Man United are disgusting for trying to cover this up. This club is a joke.

Manchester United are considering a shock move for former Ajax, Aston Villa and Everton winger Anwar El Ghazi, with the 28-year-old Dutchman a free agent after leaving PSV Eindhoven. (Mail)

Manchester United's 25-man squad for the 2023/24 Premier League season can now be confirmed.
Goalkeepers

Altay Bayindir
Tom Heaton
Andre Onana

Defenders

Diogo Dalot
Jonny Evans*
Victor Lindelof
Harry Maguire*
Tyrell Malacia
Lisandro Martinez
Sergio Reguilon
Luke Shaw*
Raphael Varane
Aaron Wan-Bissaka*

Midfielders

Sofyan Amrabat
Casemiro
Christian Eriksen
Bruno Fernandes
Scott McTominay*
Mason Mount*
Facundo Pellistri
Donny van de Beek

Forwards

Antony
Anthony Martial
Marcus Rashford*
Jadon Sancho*

*Denotes player fulfils the Premier League’s homegrown criteria.

MANUTD

Jadon Sancho to train separately from first team

Man Utd winger Jadon Sancho will train away from the first team until issues with manager Erik ten Hag are resolved.

Ten Hag left Sancho out of his squad for the loss at Arsenal earlier this month, saying the winger's training performances had been below standard.

Sancho, 23, rejected the Dutchman's reasoning and claimed he had been "a scapegoat for a long time".

United said in a statement Sancho would be on a "personal training programme away from the first team".

The statement added that the decision was made "pending resolution of a squad discipline issue."

The news comes in a week where another United forward, Antony, also stepped away from first-team duties amid domestic abuse allegations made by his former partner.

Sancho moved to Old Trafford from Borussia Dortmund for £73m in 2021.

But he has struggled for consistent form since making the switch, and has scored only nine goals and provided just six assists in his 58 Premier League appearances.

Last season Sancho spent three months battling physical and mental issues, with Ten Hag at one point saying the England international was not fit enough to play.

He returned to action in the EFL Cup semi-final win against Nottingham Forest on 1 February and a week later sparked a comeback against Leeds United in the Premier League, scoring the equaliser in a 2-2 draw.

Ten Hag spoke of his pride in "magnificent" Sancho in the aftermath, but Sancho's involvement has lessened since then.

He has made three substitute appearances this season with United winning two and losing two of their opening four Premier League fixtures.

BBC

Manchester United's visit to Fulham on Saturday 4 November has been selected for live television coverage in the UK. The kick-off moved from 15:00 GMT to the new time of 12:30 GMT and will be shown live on TNT Sports.

Jadon Sancho: Erik ten Hag unsure if winger will play for Man Utd again

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag says he does not know if Jadon Sancho will play for the club again.

The 23-year-old winger is training away from the first team after claiming he had been made a "scapegoat" following his omission from the squad for the defeat at Arsenal on 3 September.

Ten Hag said at the time he had been excluded because his training performances were below standard.

Asked if he could play for the club again, Ten Hag said: "I don't know."

Sancho's comment was made in a social media post that he subsequently deleted.

Ten Hag added: "Tomorrow we have a big game [at home to Brighton], we are going into a new block of games, many games in a condensed programme. I focus on that.

"He is not available, so in this moment, he is not important, because he can't contribute."

Ten Hag:

"It is my job to control the standards"

"Strict lines is what the club asked me because there was no good culture before I entered last season"

"Of course, it is never someone only makes one mistake, it is a whole process before you come to a certain outcome about strict lines"

"If staff or players or whoever, there is a structure to cross lines so you have to be strong"

Oh dear.

It's going pear-shaped at Old Trafford.

Poor result that against Brighton and things not good behind the scenes at the club.

If you're getting dominated at home you aren't gonna be winning consistently, Brighton played them off the park in the end. Ten Hag has spent 450m, got some of the best ball-playing talent in the world, and still can't get his United side to keep the ball.

The fact that he keeps harping on about how good United's performance was at Arsenal shows the problem. Does he seriously think you can smash and grab every week in the PL in 2023? And that's just the on-pitch problems...

Manchester United defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka set for 'several weeks' out through injury

Manchester United defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka is set for a period on the sidelines after sustaining an injury.

The 25-year-old right-back came on as an 85th-minute substitute in Saturday's 3-1 defeat against Brighton.

He started the game on the bench after battling illness during the week.

The club say further assessment will be needed to determine how long Wan-Bissaka will be out for, but initial indications suggest it will be several weeks.

United are already without defender Luke Shaw, midfielder Mason Mount is still to return after picking up an injury against Tottenham last month and fellow midfielder Sofyan Amrabat also missed Saturday's game with a back problem.

In addition, Jadon Sancho is training away from the first team and winger Antony has been given time off to address assault allegations made by former partners.

Oh my days! The new Man Utd keeper Onana is certainly not better then De Gea!. Mason Mount although injured seems another flop signing similar to Jadon Sancho. They look like a spent force already with only games off the new season gone. None of the new signings have impressed me thus far. No matter what they have certainly spent helluva lot more money then Brighton. This constant attack on the Glazer's by Man Utd fans is nothing short of ridiculous when the fact is despite being given funds to spend they are just not good enough. It's fun seeing them struggle so early in the season :LOL: They are nothing winning anything this season with so much disunity within the club as a whole.

Man Utd: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer criticises some players from time in charge at Old Trafford

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has criticised the behaviour of some players during his time as Manchester United manager, saying they were not as good as they thought they were.

Solskjaer was sacked in November 2021 after nearly three years in charge.

His successor Erik ten Hag has said there was "no good culture" when he arrived at Old Trafford in May 2022.

"Some weren't as good as their own perception of themselves," Solskjaer, 50, told The Athletic.

The former United and Norway forward added: "I won't name names, but I was very disappointed when a couple turned down the chance to be captain.

"I was also disappointed when others said they wouldn't play or train because they wanted to force their way out."

Solskjaer's United finished second in the 2020-21 season and lost the Europa League final on penalties to Villarreal.

At the start of the following season he signed England forward Jadon Sancho and France defender Raphael Varane, and re-signed former United forward and five-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo.

But he was sacked 12 Premier League matches into the new campaign following a 4-1 loss to Watford.

"When you have a group you need everyone to pull in the same direction," he added. "When things didn't go right, you could see certain players and egos came out."

Erik ten Hag says he has never been able to pick best Manchester United side since becoming manager

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says he is "never" able to select his strongest XI because of squad inconsistencies and injuries.

Speaking ahead of United's trip to the Allianz Arena to face Bayern Munich on Wednesday, the Dutchman explained he was concerned by his squad's injury record, with up to 12 first-team players currently sidelined.

Raphael Varane, Luke Shaw, Tyrell Malacia, Sofyan Amrabat and Mason Mount are among those on the injured list, with Ten Hag also confirming Harry Maguire will miss this week's Champions League commitments with a "complaint". Aaron Wan-Bissaka has also been lost since the weekend.

Jadon Sancho and Antony remain unavailable due to respective off-field issues.

Of United's 21-man travelling squad, four are goalkeepers, while Ten Hag has only been able to name five defenders.

"One thing is true, from the start of last season I don't think I ever started with, in my opinion, the best starting XI," Ten Hag said. "There was always injuries.

"We always got results apart from the period we are in now. I have experienced it in the past and managed it. You have to deal with it. I like these situations because you have to handle it and know what to do, and that is focusing on the process."

The United boss is already under scrutiny, and things could get a lot more uncomfortable if his side suffers defeat against the six-time European champions in one of the standout fixtures of the opening week.

United have lost three of their opening five Premier League games, including last weekend's 3-1 home reverse against Brighton.

"The doctors are dealing with the problems," he added. "First of all, injuries always come in top football because we are living on the edge.

"Of course, we analyse why things happen, but we also have to deal with the effects. We have to get the best out of it. We need to make the next step, integrating Rasmus Hojlund and Sergio Reguilon."

Ten Hag's belief about their path is why he is not getting thrown off kilter by the negativity heading into United's first Champions League match in 18 months.

"No, we don't feel that we need a reset," the former Bayern Munich reserve boss said. "Absolutely not. We are in a process and what you see is that in parts of games we play very good but then also in parts of games we played below our levels."

Bayern Munich 4-3 Man Utd: Andre Onana holds hands up to Champions League error - 'It's one of the worst games I've played'

Man Utd goalkeeper Andre Onana took full responsibility for his error during a 4-3 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League, calling it "one of the worst games I've played".

The Cameroon international - signed on a £47.2m deal from Inter Milan this summer as a replacement for David De Gea - made a calamitous error after Leroy Sane's shot somehow wriggled under his body for Bayern's opener.

The Germans went on to win the Group A opener 4-3, although there was a late fightback from the visitors. However, the damage had largely already been done, and Onana admitted that his start to life at Man Utd has not gone to plan.

He told TNT Sport: "It's difficult to lose this way as we started very good but after my mistake we lost control of the game.

"It's a difficult situation for us, and me, as I let the team down. The team was really good but it was because of me we didn't win this game.

"I'm happy for the work of the team but we have to move on - that is the life of a goalkeeper. We didn't win today because of me.

"Their first shot on target, I made a mistake, so the team went down because of that mistake. I have to learn, be strong and move on although it's not an easy situation. I'm happy with the comeback of the team, we were fighting until the end.

"I have a lot to prove. My start in Manchester has not been good or how I want. The way I played today was one of my worst games.

"It's difficult as we are a big club who wants to win everything. It was a good opportunity to bounce back after the situation we are facing - it's a tough time, we have to be together and continue to work hard."

Onana also made headlines in his Premier League debut, when Wolves were not awarded a late penalty after the goalkeeper's foul on Sasa Kalajdzic. He also let a lob from 45 yards beat him in a pre-season friendly against Lens.

Man Utd were unlucky with that penalty decision that went against them. The officials are no longer bullied or intimidated by Man Utd players or an Alex Ferguson like years back. Nowadays Man Utd are just also rans in every tournament, nothing else. Well Tag every team has injuries throughout the season. It is very rare for any team to have a clean bill of health. You made a complete mess out of Jadon Sancho's career too.

Manchester United are ready to sell Jadon Sancho to the highest bidder in the January transfer window after Erik ten Hag decided to cut his losses. (Mirror)

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says "everyone is united" at the club despite a poor start to the season.

United suffered a third successive defeat in a 4-3 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League in midweek.

They have lost three of their opening five Premier League games in Ten Hag's second season in charge.

"I know it's not always only going up. You will have your gaps and you can get stronger from it as long as you stay together," the Dutchman said.

"That's what we are doing in the dressing room, with all staff and coaches.

"Everyone is united and, at United, you fight."

In former Ajax boss Ten Hag's first season at Old Trafford, United finished third in the league - improving on sixth in the previous campaign - to qualify for the Champions League, while they also won the Carabao Cup.

The 53-year-old bolstered his squad with signings including striker Rasmus Hojlund, midfielder Mason Mount and goalkeeper Andre Onana in the summer.

However, United have struggled at the start of the season, with defeats by Tottenham, Arsenal and Brighton leaving them 13th in the early standings.

Onana, a £47.2m signing from Champions League finalists Inter Milan to replace David de Gea, in particular has come under scrutiny and insisted he had "let the team down" after his error for Bayern's first goal on Wednesday.

"It's about the team and as a team we haven't been getting results," Ten Hag said when asked about his goalkeeper.

"Individuals haven't brought the performance you expect and it's not only one player but more, including the manager.

"It's about 11 players doing their job. We attack with 11 and defend with 11, so when one or two don't do their job then it goes like a pack of cards."
United's problems have been exacerbated by off-field issues.

Brazil winger Antony, an £81.3m signing in 2022, has delayed his return to the club following the international break "to address allegations" of assault made against him.

Meanwhile, Jadon Sancho will again be absent from the squad to face Burnley on Saturday (20:00 BST) and continues to train away from the first team until issues with Ten Hag are resolved.

On whether Sancho could depart in the January transfer window, Ten Hag said: "It depends on him.

"For the rest, we are preparing for Burnley and that is our focus. He [Sancho] will not be in the squad."

The United boss, who recently said there was "no good culture" at the club when he arrived, added: "At United you have to win every game, so the mentality doesn't change.

"As always, it's about how we play against Burnley. There is no easy game, especially against Burnley. We know how intense they play and I must say I like their approach and their adventure. I like the intensity and dynamics. We must play our best."

Reports have suggested there are also concerns at United surrounding the role of Ten Hag's agent, Kees Vos, in transfer decisions.

"There can't be [concerns]. We make very good agreements about it from the start and how we co-operate in that matter," Ten Hag said.

"For player decisions and transfers it is 50/50, the club represented by John Murtough, and me, so it cannot be any distraction."

Can't actually believe how bad united have been thus season, I thought they would have built on an over achieving 1st season by Ten haag. But they are going backwards. The non-takeover has hit them massively. Don't matter who is in charge of players now, club has rotten to core and will take at least 5 years now to re-set unless glaizers sell which ain't happening

Erik ten Hag: Manchester United fighting to turn poor form around

Erik ten Hag says Manchester United are fighting together to try to turn their season around and insists Jadon Sancho's future depends on the winger's actions.

United have lost four of their first six matches, with Wednesday's 4-3 defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League following a 3-1 reversal against Brighton, leaving Ten Hag embattled little over a month into the new campaign.

The Dutchman said: "It's my second year. I know it's not always only going up, you will have your gaps and you get stronger from it as long as you stay together, and that's what we're doing.

"The dressing room, staff, all the staff, coaches, medical, everyone is united and at United you fight."

Jonny Evans: Manchester United defender describes win at Burnley as 'one of the best nights of my life'

Jonny Evans described Manchester United's 1-0 win over Burnley as "one of the best nights of my life" after the defender made his first start for the club in over eight years.

Evans produced a player-of-the-match performance at Turf Moor on his 200th appearance for United as his side earned a much-needed win after suffering three consecutive defeats in all competitions.

Starting for United for the first time since March 2015 having returned to the club as a free agent from Leicester in the summer, the 35-year-old set up Bruno Fernandes' stunning winner in the first half with a wonderful ball over the top, defended resolutely throughout, and earlier had a headed goal disallowed.

Speaking to TNT Sports after the game, Evans said: "I loved every minute of it. Before the game you get a feeling, I couldn't wait, just pure excitement. Coming up here on the bus I was buzzing.

"That was my 200th game for Manchester United, I never thought I would ever reach that figure. It was one of the best nights of my life.

"I wasn't consciously thinking I would sign [after getting the first call]. When you get to a certain age you start to wind down your career. I got the call and didn't have another option, so I just took it and tried to do my best in training and take my chance. You then just hope your body sees you through.

"It was never a thought that I would come in and be a starter. I was told that my role would be to provide competition and that is how I have approached it. With a few injuries, I then had the chance to start.

"They play differently here to how we did at my previous club, so I have been trying to get used to it and adapt my play. I think I slotted in well tonight and really added my experience to the side."

Huge win for United, because giving Burnley their first PL win of the season would have really accelerated the end of Ten Hag.

Man United beat Palace to reach EFL Cup fourth round

Holders Manchester United cruised into the Carabao Cup fourth round with a comfortable victory over Crystal Palace in their all-Premier League encounter at Old Trafford.

First-half goals from Alejandro Garnacho and Casemiro set United on their way to a place in the last 16, with the Brazilian providing the cross for Anthony Martial's clinical first-time effort 10 minutes after the restart.

Having faced various forms of chaos in the last few weeks, this was the kind of straightforward night United manager Erik ten Hag must have longed for as his side completed the biggest win of a season in which they have struggled so far.

The only blemish came when Mason Mount was replaced at half-time after missing the five previous fixtures through injury.

With Mount back in the starting eleven and fellow summer signing Sofyan Amrabat making his first start - albeit at left-back - Ten Hag was at least able to integrate to an extent some key pieces of his United puzzle.

Plenty of instances of controlled possession, which many supporters have been disappointed Ten Hag has failed to implement so far, were on display too.

Evidently, the game plan was to create an overload on the United right with lofted cross-field passes from the left, which both Amrabat and Mount were able to execute.

Morocco international Amrabat in particular caught the eye as an inverted left-back. The on-loan Fiorentina man's early shot was poor, but he was excellent aside from that and demonstrated an excellent passing range, plenty of energy and an ability to spot danger when it arose.

Fellow full-back Diogo Dalot created the opener when he burst onto Facundo Pellistri's pass and pulled a low cross back for Garnacho to finish, before Mount's superb corner picked out Casemiro six minutes later to double the hosts' lead and effectively end the contest.

Martial's strike from an acute angle was his first goal of the season and came in his first appearance at Old Trafford since Ten Hag was booed for bringing him on in place of Rasmus Hojlund against Brighton.

Having been a spectator for most of the night, goalkeeper Andre Onana was called upon to make two excellent late saves, denying two close range efforts from Palace striker Jean-Phillippe Mateta on both occasions.

To cap a disappointing night for the Eagles, who return here in the Premier League on Saturday, goalkeeper Dean Henderson only lasted 19 minutes on his debut against his former club as he was forced off with muscular pain after making a routine clearance.

Manchester United winger Antony has flown back to England from Brazil and has agreed to meet Greater Manchester Police to answer questions about the serious allegations made against him.

It is understood the 23-year-old is willing to surrender his phone to GMP to aid their investigation.

His ex-partner Gabriela Cavallin made allegations of abuse via Brazilian news outlet UOL, which Antony denies.

Further assault allegations followed from Rayssa de Freitas and Ingrid Lana.

United have granted Antony leave with full pay to deal with the allegations.

Antony had been in Brazil since reporting for international duty but was withdrawn from the squad when news of the allegations emerged.

On 4 September Brazilian news outlet UOL published allegations made by his former girlfriend Cavallin, in which she accused Antony of attacking her with a headbutt in a Manchester hotel room on 15 January, leaving her with a cut head which needed treatment from a doctor.

Cavallin also alleges she was punched in the chest, causing damage to a silicone breast implant, which required corrective surgery.

He released a statement in June saying he had been falsely accused by his former girlfriend of domestic violence. He was interviewed by police in Brazil in June but was not charged.

Local police raised no objection to the player returning to the UK.

Two further allegations arose when De Freitas and Lana each claimed Antony assaulted them in 2022, which Antony denies.

Lana, a 33-year-old banker, claimed in an interview with Brazil's Record TV that she hit her head when pushed against a wall by Antony at his house in Manchester in October 2022.

Manchester United have said they are taking the allegations seriously.

Source: BBC

BREAKING: Antony back to training and available for selection, Manchester United statement confirms.

"Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has co-operated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so”.

"As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case”.

"As a club, we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse”.

Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez faces up to three months out with foot injury

Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez is expected to be out for two to three months with a foot injury.

The 25-year-old Argentina international missed the end of last season after fracturing a metatarsal in April.

He returned to action at the start of this season but United say he will be sidelined again because of "an aggravation" to the injury.

The club said Martinez "experienced the setback in our Premier League game against Arsenal earlier this month".

They added: "It has now been determined that he needs a period on the sidelines for recovery and rehabilitation.

"Assessment is ongoing to determine next steps."

At a news conference on Friday, manager Erik ten Hag said: "It is very sad, for him and the team, because he was not 100% fit.

"I think it was a big difference, the Licha Martinez in the last games and the Licha Martinez we have seen in the last season."

Martinez faced Wolves, Tottenham and Nottingham Forest before playing in a 3-1 defeat at Arsenal on 3 September.

He went on to play in losses against Brighton and Bayern Munich but then missed wins against Burnley and Crystal Palace.

Martinez joined United from Ajax last July in a deal worth up to £57m and helped them finish third in the Premier League and win the Carabao Cup.

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says players are being "overloaded" with games which has led to the number of injuries within the squad.

A frustrating afternoon for United​

After starting September with three successive defeats Manchester United were looking to end the month on a high, and victory over Palace would have been their third in a row to get their season off and running.

Having breezed to victory against Roy Hodgson's men on Tuesday, the home fans would have been forgiven for expecting more of the same against the Eagles.

Initially it looked like that would be the case as they made a dominant start, but Mitchell's goalline clearance proved something of a turning point.

After that, Palace started to look more of a threat on the counter, while Manchester United found themselves increasingly frustrated as they struggled to break their opponents down.

There were boos at full time from the home fans, who expressed their frustration at the officials after a couple of penalty calls were waved away.

United had plenty of chances to snatch a draw, but a mix of poor finishing and excellent Palace defending meant it would not be their day.

Manchester United, the gift that keeps on giving. Keep em coming Erik!!

Their next four below. Ten Hag who is under pressure should really be winning all of these upcoming games, it’s not exactly a tough run of fixtures for them.

Tuesday 3rd October​

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE​

GROUP A​

• Man Utd20:00Galatasaray

Saturday 7th October​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Man Utd15:00Brentford

Saturday 21st October​

PREMIER LEAGUE​

• Sheff Utd20:00Man Utd

Tuesday 24th October​

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE​

GROUP A​

• Man Utd20:00FC Copenhagen

Man United's Antony "in consideration" for Galatasaray

Antony could return to the Manchester United side for their Champions League game with Galatasaray on Tuesday.

The Brazilian winger has not played since early September after allegations of domestic abuse were made against him.

Antony, who has denied the allegations, has not been arrested or charged in either Brazil or the UK.

He returned to training on Sunday and boss Erik ten Hag says he is "in consideration" for the Group A game.

Ten Hag has also confirmed that defender Lisandro Martinez will require surgery on a foot injury.

The 25-year-old Argentina international missed the end of last season after fracturing a metatarsal in April and United expect him to miss another three months because of "an aggravation" to the injury.

United could be boosted, though, by the return of left-back Sergio Reguilon, who missed Saturday's home loss to Crystal Palace with an injury.

This could allow Sofyan Amrabat to move into his more familiar role in midfield.

United have a lengthy injury list that includes full-backs Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia.

Jadon Sancho is increasingly likely to leave Manchester United in January, according to Sky sports.

3-2 loss at home to Galatasaray.

6 losses in 9 games.

Ten Hag in serious trouble!

Onana was supposed to be an upgrade on De Gea :ROFLMAO:

18 goals conceded in 10 games this season

what about the signing of the Danish attacker Rasmus Højlund. He is one of another exciting prospects from Europe.

Erik ten Hag's position as Manchester United manager is secure for the foreseeable future, despite the club's poor start to the season. (Guardian)

The 1958 Manchester United fans group are leading another protest outside Old Trafford before today's game.

They have been triggered into action by the continued ownership saga, which seems to have become stuck and has led to one of the bidders, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, offering to buy a minority stake, which would keep the Glazer family at the club.

In addition, they have called on the supporter representatives to withdraw from the clubs’ Fans Forum and Fan Advisory Board.
They say the two bodies are a tool for manipulation and deception.

The Glazers have used the illusion of meaningful dialogue as a tool for manipulation and deception, said the group.

They failed to honour the demands made, instead giving false assurances, enabling them to continue with their existing agenda of destroying our Club for their own profit.

By maintaining a dialogue with the Glazers, we have validated their actions and legitimatised their ownership of our Club and demonstrated to them that our fanbase is divided, indecisive and impotent.

1696682757909.png

Manchester United have named their team to face Brentford. Harry Maguire and Jonny Evans start in defence. Elsewhere, Raheem Sterling returns for Chelsea.

1696684226476.png

Manchester United have turned it around. Scott McTominay gets two goals in added time to win it. Incredible scenes

1696694381638.png

Juventus could try to sign England winger Jadon Sancho, 23, on loan in January prior to making the move permanent next summer. (Sun)

Man Utd 2-1 Brentford: Erik ten Hag says stunning comeback win must be a 'turning point' in his side's season

Erik ten Hag insists Saturday's stunning late comeback win over Brentford must be a "turning point" in Manchester United's season.

With United heading for a third defeat in a row at Old Trafford thanks to a first-half error from Andre Onana which had allowed Mathias Jensen to put the visitors in front, substitute Scott McTominay scored twice in stoppage time to sensationally snatch all three points for Ten Hag's side.

The victory lifted United up to ninth in the Premier League table and allows them to head into the international break with some positivity having returned two wins from their previous seven games across all competitions.

"You are relieved in that moment when once again a game that was turning the wrong way for us, we found a turning point," Ten Hag said.

"It showed the big character in this team, the resilience, and that we have a plan to keep going and you have to make your own luck. We kept patient and carried on. I'm really proud of this team, they kept going the whole game. The belief was there.

"This has to be a turning point but also it has to be a restart because we have to get into higher levels."

Unconvincing win that I feel no joy about. That probably means that I want the manager gone, and it is a shame that it has come to this. But Ten Hag has got himself to blame. Poor style of play, consistently playing players out of form and out of position. I think it is only a matter of time before Ten Hag is gone.

Unconvincing win that I feel no joy about. That probably means that I want the manager gone, and it is a shame that it has come to this. But Ten Hag has got himself to blame. Poor style of play, consistently playing players out of form and out of position. I think it is only a matter of time before Ten Hag is gone.
Don't believe what Ten Hag is saying about turning point? Personally he looks at sea, cannot implement a dominant style of play with all that money spent.

Manchester United are willing to subsidise England winger Jadon Sancho's £300,000-a-week wages in order to offload the 23-year-old on loan in January if he continues to refuse to apologise to manager Erik ten Hag. (Mail)

Gary Neville: Manchester United will not make Premier League top five this season

Manchester United will not make the top five in the Premier League this season, says Gary Neville, although he praised Scott McTominay after his match-winning goals.

Two late goals in the 93rd and 97th minutes from the Scotland international saw Man Utd to a 2-1 victory against Brentford on Saturday - their fourth Premier League success of the season.

But despite the win, Sky Sports pundit Neville says United will finish no higher than sixth, and believes Chelsea are closer to securing a top-five spot.

"I don't think Manchester United will finish in the top five this season... but they proved me wrong last season after having a very poor start," he said on the latest Gary Neville Podcast.

"Chelsea have got a lot of talented young players. The question mark will be centre-forward and experience if something happens to Thiago Silva.

"Chelsea are not far away if they get a centre-forward and centre-half. Even though they've spent £1bn they still need two players.

"I felt sorry for Brentford because I like them a lot. But it was huge. Huge in the sense of it had been such a depressing start to the season and by no stretch of the imagination does beating Brentford at home with two goals in the 93rd and 97th minutes mean that everything is ok. Far from it. It's a mess.

"They're way off it and I'm surprised because seven or eight weeks ago I had them third again.

"The goalkeeper hasn't settled in quickly. That's a problem. If your goalkeeper isn't settled in and there's a bit on instability around that, it does create a big problem. I've had it at United.

"Chelsea are probably near to it [the top five] if they can just go on a run because they have got some really talented young players. Their age is a lot better than the Manchester United squad."

West Ham are considering a fresh approach for England defender Harry Maguire, 30, in January should his lack of playing time at Manchester United continue. (ESPN)

Manchester United are ready to let 27-year-old France forward Anthony Martial leave the club in January. (Football Insider)

EXCLUSIVE: Sheikh Jassim has had further discussions with Glazers family to buy 100% of Manchester United.

Sheikh Jassim’s bid proposition has been rejected again by Glazers family.

As a result — Sheikh Jassim informed Glazers that he’s ready to withdraw from the process.

Barcelona are interested in signing Manchester United's Jadon Sancho in June, if they can agree a cut-price deal. The 23-year-old England winger has also been linked with a loan move to Juventus. (Sport)

Casemiro: Manchester United awaiting updates after Brazil midfielder suffers injury scare on international duty

Manchester United are waiting on updates on Casemiro after the midfielder suffered an ankle injury while playing for Brazil.

Casemiro was substituted 11 minutes from the end of their 1-1 draw with Venezuela. Brazil are scheduled to play again in Uruguay in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The 31-year-old, who is captain of the national team, asked to come off in the game in Cuiaba and he was replaced by Andre.

Brazil manager Fernando Diniz announced: "He asked to come off due to a blow to his ankle."

A stunning overhead kick by Eduard Bello helped the visitors secure a surprise point which ended a home winning streak in qualifying that stretched back 15 games to 2015.

Casemiro was substituted at half-time last weekend as Man Utd came from behind to dramatically beat Brentford 2-1 in stoppage time thanks to two Scott McTominay goals.

When asked about replacing the midfielder at the interval, manager Erik ten Hag said: "I wanted more football... one who brings passing, distribution, link-up play. So I thought bring Christian Eriksen for Case."

Casemiro might well have found himself out of the side given his poor form, but Ten Hag may not have the option for a period of time, adding to his injury worries.

Luke Shaw, Lisandro Martinez and Aaron Wan-Bissaka are all expected to be long-term absentees. Raphael Varane, Sergio Reguilon, Tyrell Malacia, Kobbie Mainoo and Amad Diallo are also currently out of action.

Jadon Sancho is likely to leave the club in January after a breakdown in relationship while Antony has only just returned to training as he continues to cooperate with ongoing police enquiries into domestic abuse allegations.

Man Utd are next in action Saturday October 21 against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane, live on Sky Sports.

They then host Copenhagen in the Champions League before Manchester City are the visitors to Old Trafford in the Premier League on October 29.

Man Utd takeover talks: Jim Ratcliffe's Ineos group wants control of football operations

Sir Jim Ratcliffe's Ineos group wants to assume control of the football operations side of Manchester United's business from the Glazer family if a 25% offer worth an estimated £1.3bn is approved.

The British billionaire is thought to be increasingly confident of securing what he hopes will be the first stage of an eventual buyout.

The BBC was told that his principal rival - Qatari banker Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani - had withdrawn from the process to buy United.

He failed to meet the Glazers' valuation with his 100% offer and grew frustrated with their demands.

Both groups had tabled bids of about £5bn.

It is not clear how an Ineos minority stake would be structured and if the Glazers would accept it.

BBC Sport has learned that a United board meeting is set to take place on Thursday, during which it is possible the agreement could be finalised.

Ineos is thought to hope that if it were to be in charge of the football side of the club's business with a quarter share, it may reassure supporters unhappy that the Glazers will remain at United.

Former United captain Gary Neville asked on social media: "Can this really work and what impact will it have on a struggling organisation?"

After listing six things he believed were "non-negotiable" for a takeover, Neville said: "How does a minority stakeholder positively impact the club to achieve the above? Can a minority shareholder have any impact on the above?

"My preference is and always will be for a Glazer family full exit. They have overstayed their welcome in Manchester yet seem oblivious to this fact."

Manchester United Supporters Trust released a statement saying: "What supporters should expect at the very least now is some clarity and an end to this process. Furthermore, the outcome must include new investment into the club. It cannot be solely about the interests of shareholders, whether existing or new.

"We call upon all parties to put Manchester United interests before their own interests.

"If the reports are true regarding Ineos obtaining a 25% stake in our club, there are a number of questions around the transaction which need clarity before supporters can make any judgement on its merits."

The Glazer family, who bought United for £790m in 2005, announced in November 2022 they were considering selling.

United supporters have held demonstrations against the Glazer family inside and outside Old Trafford.

The club have lost six of their 11 games this season in all competitions and sit 10th in the Premier League.

Ratcliffe visited Old Trafford in March alongside Ineos officials Sir Dave Brailsford, Rob Nevin and Jean Claude Blanc.

Ineos already owns French Ligue 1 club Nice and Swiss club Lausanne.

Its sporting portfolio also includes high-profile sailing team Ineos Britannia - led by Sir Ben Ainslie - which is aiming to win the 2024 America's Cup for Great Britain.

Ineos also has a five-year partnership with Formula 1 team Mercedes - where it has a 33% minority stake - and took over the British-based Team Sky in cycling in 2019.

Ratcliffe, who says he is a lifelong United fan, tried and failed to buy Chelsea last year.

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has revealed there were times last season when he feared he would have to retire from football.

Evans, 35, who will captain Northern Ireland against Slovenia on Tuesday, returned to Old Trafford in the summer.

That followed an injury-hit campaign with Leicester City that ended with relegation from the Premier League.

"No, definitely [not]," Evans said when asked if he could have envisaged such a positive turnaround in his career.

"I think I went through a stage last year where you start thinking 'maybe this is it coming to an end'.

"So there is no doubt that I did have those thoughts at times. I couldn't get over the injuries and, every time I came back, I was breaking down.

"I had a lot of people say 'there's no way you're close to finishing', but you have to prove that to yourself and I feel I've been able to do that.

"I've trained a lot, getting all that behind me, completing matches. Every time you complete a match, you think there's another one down.

"Sometimes you're having to confirm that to yourself and I've been pleased I've been able to go through that process. I feel I'm in a good place."

Evans came through United's academy and won three Premier League titles and a Champions League during his first spell there before moving to West Bromwich Albion in 2015, and then to Leicester three years later, winning the FA Cup with the Foxes in 2021.

Man Utd wait for Sir Jim Ratcliffe deal goes on but 'endgame' in sight ahead of Thursday board meeting

Sir Jim Ratcliffe's proposed deal to buy a minority stake in Manchester United is unlikely to be ratified at Thursday's board meeting.

Ratcliffe is expected to purchase 25 per cent of the Premier League club for £1.3bn in a deal which would give his company, INEOS, control over Man Utd's footballing operations.

"It's a very complicated deal but I think that is why it is taking a little bit longer than anticipated," said Sky Sports News chief reporter Kaveh Solhekol. "We're approaching the endgame and I think that is going to be Sir Jim Ratcliffe buying at least a minority stake to begin with."

Another indication that Ratcliffe's deal for United is getting closer is a report from Bloomberg which claims INEOS will hold a credit update call on Monday at 3pm to update shareholders. The petrochemicals company is not commenting.

Thursday's Manchester United board meeting is standard practice and has not been called to specifically discuss this deal. They are usually partly virtual because the Glazer family are based in the United States.

It is also unlikely there will be a resolution to the strategic review which sparked the long-winded takeover race involving Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim after it was announced last November.

The Qatari bid led by Sheikh Jassim withdrew from the process last weekend eight months after initially declaring its plans for buying Man Utd. This, it is thought, was the only offer for 100 per cent of the club.

Ratcliffe initially wanted to buy the Glazers' 69 per cent shareholding, but has agreed to leave the American family with their majority stake ahead of a potential full takeover.

Back