New Zealand v Pakistan | 2nd Test | Wellington | 19/01/11 | Day 5 | Session 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
193 to win from two sessions

go pakistan, go for the win!!

Result of the match depends on this session

Didn't watch the last hour of the first session and we did pretty good. I'm somewhat superstitious. Should I stay away or just turn the match on for the second session? Dilemma.

Didn't watch the last hour of the first session and we did pretty good. I'm somewhat superstitious. Should I stay away or just turn the match on for the second session? Dilemma.

Stay away please

Hope these two can stay for as long as possible crucial partnership

We need both YK and Misbah to bat the whole session if we are going to win this

If they stay the full session I am pretty sure we will just be looking to bat the game out for a draw, which is a sensible approach at this stage.

to continue the discussion from thread 1:

Hafeez has been our best and most consitant batsman LOI batsman from the last few series. If you find that medicore than I guess you either have very high standards or you have no idea what you are talking about

consistent 30s and 40s that count for very little in the end.

absolutely no point of those kind of cameos.

Hafeez is a good ODI player at best- never a test player. Surely there are others outside rubbish Sifarsh picks?

Insha'Allah all Pak batsmen will bat well and win the match/series for us. Need to remain concentrated.

Got class early in the morning and it's gonna be a pain to wake up, but gonna stay up to follow the match. Hopefully we do well.

Hafeez has disappointed me in this series, hopefully can do well in ODIs, we need him to do well in the world cup, because he bats right at the top and of course he provides an important bowling option !!!

Hafeez is a good ODI player at best- never a test player. Surely there are others outside rubbish Sifarsh picks?

agree with you their hope his test form doesnt affect his LOI form.

Imo Azhar Ali should open as he has had to come in quite early many times so far in this series and in few others. By him opening we will be able to play :umarakmal

Bhai match dekho. Jo hona hoga hoye ga.

I hope Misbah and Younis accelerate after staying long at the crease

Can somebody explain to me why the pitch is being left alone unguarded?

What if an NZ fan decides to take a nice little dance on the wicket thereby damaging it and making it worse for batting for us :afridi

Attachments

• nzground.jpg
    nzground.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 98
I think we should get to at least 200 by the end of this session to have any chance of winning.

I dont have much hope, i think that Pakistan will get bowled out for 220. I hope they can prove me wrong !

Draw is not possible its New Zealand or Pakistan. I am going to sleep now hopefully i have some good news in the morning !

If an ODI opener scores 40s and 50s reguraly with a good Strike rate than I would say he has done his job which is to get the team of to a good start

I think we should get to at least 200 by the end of this session to have any chance of winning.

120 runs not impossible but if we were still with azhar ali or taufeeq umar could have given it a shot.

its too dangerous now i think.

If an ODI opener scores 40s and 50s reguraly with a good Strike rate than I would say he has done his job which is to get the team of to a good start

for teams with a WC middle order, perhaps.

not for a brittle and skittish MO like ours, who will collapse like a deck of cards the moment any pressure is exerted.

Then I suggest you save your energy criticizing our opener and criticize the middle order more, maybe we should change them instead of the opener?

i have a feeling pakistan will edge past nz.. a win by 3 wkts or less

Then I suggest you save your energy criticizing our opener and criticize the middle order more, maybe we should change them instead of the opener?

easier to change 1 than to change 4.

But is there a ready made replacement? Also, for LOIs Hafeez and Kamran did make good partnerships, so if they can both continue to do so, then its good. Also I am optimistic that with time, Hafeez will start capitalizing on these starts and get big hundreds.

Yeah, if these two stick it out then we'll win.

I's definitely send Wahab and Gul up the order if one of these guys goes and the Ball is old, just for a thrash about.

But then we are never a pro-active flexible team...

easier to change 1 than to change 4.

Is there someone available who can score 50+ scores consistently (which is your problem with our current opener)

Also, don't forget our opener is an outstanding fielder and our 5th/6th bowler?

Can you name a replacement?

Is there someone available who can score 50+ scores consistently (which is your problem with our current opener)

Also, don't forget our opener is an outstanding fielder and our 5th/6th bowler?

Can you name a replacement?

that's not the point of the discussion.

one has to at least accept this fact that Hafeez is not doing his job.

before everything else, he's an opening batsman, and he is not contributing enough in that dept.

Of course hes not doing the perfect job, but hes done a reasonable one

To call his performances poor is harsh, yes he could have done better, but accept the reality that whoever played in his place would have most probably done much worse against Anderson, Steyn, Morkel and Broad

As much as Taufeeq/Hafeez have done resonably well, maybe:

Azhar opening with Hafeez + Umar Akmal to come in lower down or Azeem Ghummam to come in at 3?

Or Azeem Ghummam to open; Future captain and would do well under Misbah's apparent guiding influence.

^ I don't want Test merry go rounds when Misbah is sacked/leaves

Last edited:
I suggest that we aim to preserve wickets in the 2nd session. Even if we score 2.5-2.6 runs/over ... in 26 overs, it is about 65-70 runs.

That brings the target down to about 120, in about 36 overs.

At 3.5 runs per over, if there are wickets in hand, that is possible.

salaam bro you not starting at 0700 tomorrow?

Nope I have day off work today and on Thursday :)

I did get an hours sleep after close of play yesterday then I was well sleepy and tired yawning all day at work hehe K.O'd after work when I got home at 4.30pm and woke up 30 mins before lunch missed all 3 wickets.

nah i went to sleep around 0400

I decided to go to sleep when they were 5 wickets down and we we'rnt lookin at getting a wicket, was jus bout to log off and then Rehman got the wicket, so I decided to stick it out and then wickets tumbled one after another so just watched till close of play, 2nd time this happened jus bout to slp and then wickets tumble and I decided to forget sleeping!

Nope I have day off work today and on Thursday :)

I did get an hours sleep after close of play yesterday then I was well sleepy and tired yawning all day at work hehe K.O'd after work when I got home at 4.30pm and woke up 30 mins before lunch missed all 3 wickets.

bro your from leicester/karachi are you memon?

hope no ones families here on pp were hurt cause of the earthquake

Younis finding his touch now.. Looks more solid.. Keep it goin' boys :yk :misbah

Younis played that Vettori over very well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back