Pakistan’s T20I tour of New Zealand: Who would you like to be selected in the squad?

Rana

Hall of Famer
Runs
Our first white ball tour after a 4 year cycle. Time to experiment and build the bench strength and rectify the mistake we made by not doing so. This mistake of not creating a proper bench cost us dearly at the ICC World Cup 2023. India and Australia have called upon their bench, emerging players to compete against each other straight after the World Cup.

Ideally, I would like Babar, Rizwan, Shadab, Shaheen, Rauf, Iftikhar, Nawaz to not feature in any white ball cricket until next May at least for Pakistan.I want the PCB to give a fresh new set of players the freedom to play cricket without any stress of senior players such as Babar and Rizwan breathing down their necks threatening to brought in or force them to play out of position if they fail.

My new crop of players would be:

New blood

Saim Ayub
Mohammad Harris
Sahibzada Farhan
Azam Khan
Muhammad Akhlaq
Omair bin Yousuf
Aamir Azmat (long levers)
Aamer Jamal
Abrar Ahmed
Sufyan Muqeem
Zaman Khan
Khurram Shahzad
Abbas Afridi
Hunain Shah
Akif Javed
Arshad Iqbal
Sajid Khan

Senior players (fc and international) given more responsibility to grow

Iftikhar Ahmed
Fakhar Zaman
Khushdil Shah
Asif Ali
Ahmad Shahzad
Shoaib Malik
Sharjeel Khan
Usman Qadir
Imran Khan sr (underrated bowler)

I’ve mentioned plenty of names that could be used on a rotational basis in order to develop a strong bench strength. Shaheen will have to play or be a part of the 15 as he is the captain. What would your 15 man squad be for our first tour in the new cycle?

Some rubbish players in that list who shouldn't be anywhere near Pakistan team.

Some rubbish players in that list who shouldn't be anywhere near Pakistan team.
The current Pakistan team isn’t exactly good enough to be top 5

How else would you build your bench?

Following players deserve a must berth in Pakistani t20 side:

Saim ayub
Muhammad Haris
Amir jamal

The current Pakistan team isn’t exactly good enough to be top 5

How else would you build your bench?
By selecting players who have potential. Not some players who are not even good in domestics.

By selecting players who have potential. Not some players who are not even good in domestics.
Ok.

So let’s hear who you want to be selected. That’s the purpose of this thread

My squad for the NZ series:

Saim Ayub
Fakhar Zaman
M Haris
Azam Khan
Iftikhar Ahmed
Agha Salman
Qasim Akram
Shaheen Afridi (c)
Zaman Khan
Aamer Jamal
M Imran
Abbas Afridi
Usama Mir
Zahid Mahmood
Abrar Ahmed

——-

Haris Rauf and Babar Azam rested but in contention for future series alongside Naseem Shah once fit.

Had a hard time finding enough batsmen for the top order. I like aamer azmat but it seems too soon to introduce him.

Would be hard to pick a squad of 15 in the sense that world cup is 6 months away, you want to have your main players getting some forms but need to test your bench strenght as well.

I would rest Rizwan (to give Haris more of chance) and Naseem Shah, dont think he would be fully fit anyways.

My squad of 15 would be the following

Fakhar Zaman
Mohammad Haris
Babar Azam
Saim Ayub
Chacha
Salman Agha
Mubashir Khan
Abrar Ahmed
Sufiyan Muqeem
Shaheen(C)
Haris Rauf
Wasim Jnr
Arshad Iqbal
Zaman Khan
Abbas Afridi

Ideally they should rotate players for each match my first T20 vs NZ my 11 would be

Saim Ayub
Mohammad Haris
Babar Azam
Fakhar Zaman
Chacha
Salman Agha
Mubashir Khan
Shaheen Afridi
Zaman Khan
Arshad Iqbal
Abrar Ahmed

1 fakhar/sahibzada Farhan
2 saim
3 m haris
4 babar
5 rizwan
6 omair bin yusuf
7 ifti
8 shadab
9 shaheen
10 haris ruaf
11 zaman
12 abbas Afridi
13 arshad
14 wasim jr
15 sufiyan muqeem
16 abrar
17 azam
18 amir Azmat
19 amir jamal
20 Qasim akram or Haseebullah

Can't comment on all the names in the OP's list without seeing more of them.

I was excited seeing Akif Javed a few years ago but unfortunately post-injury he doesn't look the same. Omair Yousuf strikes me more of a red-ball batsman. His SR was only 3 points better than Asad Shafiq in the National T20. Mohammed Akhlaq only struck at 116 in a poor quality tournament.

I'd definitely have the following: Saim Ayub, Mohammad Haris, Aamer Jamal, Abrar Ahmed, Abbas Afridi.

If anybody has a breakout PSL, where the standards will be higher than NT20, then add them into the mix for the home NZL T20 series that's scheduled during IPL.

Keep it simple! Anyone who performs in the domestic circuit must get selected.

According to this rule Ahmed Shahzad deserves a chance.

Keep it simple! Anyone who performs in the domestic circuit must get selected.

According to this rule Ahmed Shahzad deserves a chance.
Sahibzada Farhan is more deserving and is likely to be an upgrade to Babar and Rizwan

Saim and Haris need to be opening every T20 match we have for the forseeable future.

Saim and Haris need to be opening every T20 match we have for the forseeable future.
Honestly, I am not convinced with Haris as he is another version of Haider Ali, he just focuses on two things blocking or slogging.

No improvization in his game at all.

Saim Ayub is a perfect candidate to open the innings in t20 for pakistan.

I'd love to see Saim Ayub, Sahibzada Farhan, Mohammad Haris, and Kamran Ghulam get a good run

Saim, Farhan should be given a run here and Babar and Rizwan should be resting.

Try these players
Saim
Haris
Sahibzada
Ahmad Shehzad

In bowling:
Zaman Khan
Amir Jamal

These players can somehow make it to the worldcup nect year. No need to just select random.bunch and then drop them

Don’t want a repeat of Afghanistan, we learnt nothing and dented a few youngsters confidence. Better to play them with the experienced players. I would take a punt on Shakeel, I know he doesn’t have the best domestic record but he looks free flowing and aggressive in ODIs, he could work well in t20s.

1. Fakhar
2. Rizwan
3. Babar
4. Haris
5. Saud Shakeel
6. Iftikhar

Give fakhar some last chances to get back his t20 opening slot, before retiring from the format for good. He was just too good in the World Cup, not to give him a chance. Saim should be the first person to take up his slot if fakhar fails. Thought about opening with saim instead, but I think there’s no point if it’s not a permanent slot, an odd series opening, watching over your back when the permanent openers come back, not worth it. There’s no rush with Saim right now, he’s so young, and I don’t want him generating a poor record which has already started to happen with Saim and Haris which will make it difficult for them in the future and add pressure.

As for bowlers, I don’t mind experimenting a bit more and resting players a bit. Would like to see abrar. Would also like to see Ishanullah and Hasnain if they’re not injured.

I would drop Babar. I don't think he should open with Fakhar and Ayub there. And there is no point of him coming at #3 and #4 because he is too slow. My team:

1. Fakhar / Ahmed Shehzad
2. Ayub
3. Farhan Shaibzada
4. Ifti
5. Rizwan
6. Haris
7. Shadab / Usman Qadir / Mir
8. Wasim Jr
9. Shaheen
10. Naseem / Zaman / Abrar
11. Rauf

12th man -- Babar

I would drop Babar. I don't think he should open with Fakhar and Ayub there. And there is no point of him coming at #3 and #4 because he is too slow. My team:

1. Fakhar / Ahmed Shehzad
2. Ayub
3. Farhan Shaibzada
4. Ifti
5. Rizwan
6. Haris
7. Shadab / Usman Qadir / Mir
8. Wasim Jr
9. Shaheen
10. Naseem / Zaman / Abrar
11. Rauf

12th man -- Babar
Ahmed Shahzad is laughable . Farhan does at the max has a single decent psl season behind him.
Let’s not get swayed with these t20 tournaments where the intensity level is minimal.

Ahmed Shahzad is laughable . Farhan does at the max has a single decent psl season behind him.
Let’s not get swayed with these t20 tournaments where the intensity level is minimal.
This is true unfortunately different standard. Which is why those wanting to remove Babar and Rizwan, let’s see some guys outperform them in PSL. Those two regularly outperform the rest of the Pakistan batsmen nearly every season. The only one who competes with them is fakhar who is also technically in the team and has already given a lot of opening chances. We have a competition that naturally allows us to compare our other options to these two.

Don’t want a repeat of Afghanistan, we learnt nothing and dented a few youngsters confidence. Better to play them with the experienced players. I would take a punt on Shakeel, I know he doesn’t have the best domestic record but he looks free flowing and aggressive in ODIs, he could work well in t20s.

1. Fakhar
2. Rizwan
3. Babar
4. Haris
5. Saud Shakeel
6. Iftikhar

Give fakhar some last chances to get back his t20 opening slot, before retiring from the format for good. He was just too good in the World Cup, not to give him a chance. Saim should be the first person to take up his slot if fakhar fails. Thought about opening with saim instead, but I think there’s no point if it’s not a permanent slot, an odd series opening, watching over your back when the permanent openers come back, not worth it. There’s no rush with Saim right now, he’s so young, and I don’t want him generating a poor record which has already started to happen with Saim and Haris which will make it difficult for them in the future and add pressure.

As for bowlers, I don’t mind experimenting a bit more and resting players a bit. Would like to see abrar. Would also like to see Ishanullah and Hasnain if they’re not injured.
Don’t want a repeat of Afghanistan, we learnt nothing and dented a few youngsters confidence. Better to play them with the experienced players

Which player’s confidence was dented???

How do you play guys like Saim, Harris or Farhan in the same team as Babar and Rizwan? By batting them out of position so that Babar and Rizwan can score their little 50s by wrecking the powerplay as usual??

And then cry about not having a strong enough bench during ICC tournaments??

Which player’s confidence was dented???

How do you play guys like Saim, Harris or Farhan in the same team as Babar and Rizwan? By batting them out of position so that Babar and Rizwan can score their little 50s by wrecking the powerplay as usual??

And then cry about not having a strong enough bench during ICC tournaments??
It’s kind of rare that players who initially fail go on to have great careers. Look at the guys in our team. Babar, imam, fakhar even umar akmal all performed straight away. It gives players a longer rope, and reduces pressure.

Can’t even think of a recent batsman for us that turned things around like that. Perhaps Rizwan but he immediately performed after changing positions becoming opener, he didn’t turn things around middle order. I’ve seen so many guys who start badly and we hope for them to turn things around but never happens.

Babar and Rizwan realistically won’t be dropped on a permanent basis. So I guess you can play Saim for Fakhar. But I don’t really want to play players unless there is a real chance to hold down a permanent slot. Saim or Haris opening, knowing they will get kicked out soon as Babar and Rizwan get back doesn’t help them at all.

Bench strength is hardly a thing for batsmen. The best batsmen play, not different ones for conditions and they are hardly injured. Bowlers are different.

This is true unfortunately different standard. Which is why those wanting to remove Babar and Rizwan, let’s see some guys outperform them in PSL. Those two regularly outperform the rest of the Pakistan batsmen nearly every season. The only one who competes with them is fakhar who is also technically in the team and has already given a lot of opening chances. We have a competition that naturally allows us to compare our other options to these two.
Fakhar needs to open now. He has not opened in t20s since 2020-21 which is pretty much nearly 4 years .

He is the only player in Pakistan who can work wonders on any given day . With it comes risk and the chance of failure but we need to back him now. The World Cup is 6 months away. Give him the licence .

If he can produce figures of 30@ 140, it will make a big difference to the team .

Honestly, I am not convinced with Haris as he is another version of Haider Ali, he just focuses on two things blocking or slogging.

No improvization in his game at all.

Saim Ayub is a perfect candidate to open the innings in t20 for pakistan.
Haris can play the scoop.

My squad/ xi

Muhammed Haris
Fakhar Zaman
Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Muhammed Rizwan
Iftikhar Ahmed
Shadab Khan
Shaheen Afridi
Wasim Jnr
Abrar Ahmed
Naseem if fit.

Azam Khan
Ihsanullah/Rauf/nisar Ahmed
Sufyan Muqeem
Qasim Akram

Fakhar needs to open now. He has not opened in t20s since 2020-21 which is pretty much nearly 4 years .

He is the only player in Pakistan who can work wonders on any given day . With it comes risk and the chance of failure but we need to back him now. The World Cup is 6 months away. Give him the licence .

If he can produce figures of 30@ 140, it will make a big difference to the team .
I agree I would open with him with babar down to 3. Babar will do the same at 3 as he opens. He has even shown signs of improvement in recent editions of PSL, he’s become a lot more consistent there. Deserves a shot.

But is he outperforming the openers who are in the squad or in the domestic scene.
Shahzad should be no where near the t20 team.
Even if you take into account that he last played 4-5 years ago, his SR after 60 matches is a pathetic 115. I mean why is he even being brought into the conversation. Farcial to say the least .!

Realistically speaking for the opening slots for the New Zealand series Pakistan have these options to select from.

Babar
Rizwan
Haris
Saim
Fakhar
Abdullah
Farhan

Maybe a couple other domestic performers too. But these are the best ones at the moment. Wahab and his men have a tough job ahead.

Ridiculous to give our best players no game time before the next T20 WC which is in June and a tournament that Pakistan will be the favorites for.

Having said that, the PCB should focus on a group of 20 players and aim to get them to the peak of their form and fitness, by the time the world cup starts. These players are:

1) Babar Azam
2) Mohammad Rizwan
3) Saim Ayub
4) Mohammad Haris
5) Azam Khan
6) Iftikhar Ahmed
7) Shadab Khan
8) Shaheen Afridi
9) Mohammad Wasim Junior
10) Naseem Shah
11) Haris Rauf

12) Abdullah Shafique
13) Ihsanullah
14) Mohammad Nawaz
15) Usama Mir
16) Abrar Ahmed
17) Mohammad Hasnain
18) Fakhar Zaman
19) Faheem Ashraf
20) The best performing player at the PSL not mentioned above.

Ensure that each of these players get an ample amount of international and domestic T20 games to make their case for the final-15.

Realistically speaking for the opening slots for the New Zealand series Pakistan have these options to select from.

Babar
Rizwan
Haris
Saim
Fakhar
Abdullah
Farhan

Maybe a couple other domestic performers too. But these are the best ones at the moment. Wahab and his men have a tough job ahead.
It would be silly to change Babar and Rizwan, who have been fantastic opening batters. What we need is a middle-order that can hit boundaries coming in after them.

Ridiculous to give our best players no game time before the next T20 WC which is in June and a tournament that Pakistan will be the favorites for.
Your so called best players are truly not your best players. They have been exposed thoroughly in the last two ICC tournaments.

The team clearly needs a revamp. Why are Australia, India and England all resting big players in a World Cup year? Why are you so against developing your bench strength? Are you afraid of the ‘best players’ getting shown up by the newly selected players?

It would be silly to change Babar and Rizwan, who have been fantastic opening batters. What we need is a middle-order that can hit boundaries coming in after them.
Babar and Rizwan are consistent but they lack the power game or the ability to bat at a higher strike rate. It's not 2016 anymore. We need at least one opener you can go from the get go if needed.

Thankfully Shaheen and management would be clear minded enough to see that and I suspect we will see multiple combinations other than RizBar tried as well before the WT20.

Your so called best players are truly not your best players. They have been exposed thoroughly in the last two ICC tournaments.

The team clearly needs a revamp. Why are Australia, India and England all resting big players in a World Cup year? Why are you so against developing your bench strength? Are you afraid of the ‘best players’ getting shown up by the newly selected players?
Pakistan finished Semi Finals and Runners up in the last two WT20. The core players are good for T20s but we need strong leadership (I hope Shaheen brings), induction of some fresh players like Haris, Saim, Zaman, etc and a few tweaks to finally win the WT20.

I do believe Pakistan is capable of winning it this time. They have all the ingredients and players available. Just need to make a good enough combination.

Babar and Rizwan are consistent but they lack the power game or the ability to bat at a higher strike rate. It's not 2016 anymore. We need at least one opener you can go from the get go if needed.

Thankfully Shaheen and management would be clear minded enough to see that and I suspect we will see multiple combinations other than RizBar tried as well before the WT20.
We can't match the likes of Australia and England in the SR department so there is no point of neutering our strengths to be an inferior version of those teams.

Our strengths in T20 is in our bowling which rarely lets the opposition score more than 180 and in the stability of our T20 top order, which ensures that we almost never collapse. RizBaB are a big part of that.

That said, I'm not opposed to having other players tried out in the opening positions. I'd like to see Saim, Haris and Fakhar given a few games at the top but I don't think they will be better openers than Babar or Rizwan.

Last two ICC tournaments? Pakistan made the semis and finals of the 2021 and 2022 T20 WCs and both Babar and Rizwan played crucial innings in those campaigns.

A team that made the semis and finals does not need a revamp and no, I'm really not afraid of some nobody from the domestic scene replacing Babar frickin' Azam or Muhammad Rizwan, the #2 T20 batsman in the world.

Australia and India are resting their players because they've started playing bilateral before their players could even process the world cup final. The Pakistani players have had ample time to rest and recuperate. Also, why would we follow the template of a choker team like India?

So you want to put extra pressure on our youngsters by batting them at 3 and 4 you need to obsorb pressure batting in them positions.

Why would you want to drop shaheen who is the captain of the team and expected to lead the side in the T20 world cup that is just a few months away?

You would want him to lead the side and gain some experience at the international level.

Why would you want to drop shaheen who is the captain of the team and expected to lead the side in the T20 world cup that is just a few months away?

You would want him to lead the side and gain some experience at the international level.
I don’t think he meant he wants to drop him. Shaheen should be with the team but rest himself, just like Butler did with Pakistan in 2022 7 match series.

Shaheen is a bonafide, established bowler. He is better off resting and letting his bench develop for the World Cup. I don’t mind Iftikhar leading on the field in Shaheen’s absence, but it has to be at the expense of Babar, Rizwan and Shadab also rested like Shaheen.

Bench Strength

Develop it now

Don’t cry, regret that you didn’t when it’s too late!

If your bench is strong, fit and in form…your team will have the good problem of picking the right combination

Bench strength also means to add versatility to your one dimensional players. The World Cup is 6 months away,

What is the harm in seeing how Babar fares batting at 3 or 4? What is the harm in seeing if has finally learned the art of batting in the middle order?

Need to begin the process of revamping our limited overs team and implementing a modern day brand of cricket. This series is the perfect place to experiment

1. Sharjeel
2. Saim
3. Omair
4. Sarfraz
5. Azam
6. Haris
7. Danish
8. Shaheen
9. Mir Hamza
10. Abrar
11. Dahani

I would actually want to see a combination of;

1. Saim / Haris
2. Fakhar
3. Babar
4. Shadab / Malik
5. Azam (wk) / Malik
6. Iftikhar
7. Haris / Shadab
8. Nawaz
9. Shaheen (c)
10. Naseem
11. Rauf

The line up that will be(not mine)

Babar
Saim
Rizwan
Fakhar
Haris
Ifti
Shadab
Abrar
Shaheen
Haris Rauf
Zaman Khan

My 15 man squad with a mix of youth and experience:

Saim Ayub
Sahibzada Farhan
Ammad Alam
Abdul Bangalzai
Omair Bin Yousuf
Azam Khan
Mohammed Haris
Asif Ali
Aamer Jamal
Shadab Khan
Shaheen Afridi
Abbas Afridi
Zaman Khan
Shanawaz Dhani
Mehran Mumtaz

A few players I like but miss out:

Sajjid Ali
Kamran Ghulam
Haseebullah
Usman Qadir
Abrar Ahmed
Arshad Iqbal

My 15 man squad with a mix of youth and experience:

Saim Ayub
Sahibzada Farhan
Ammad Alam
Abdul Bangalzai
Omair Bin Yousuf
Azam Khan
Mohammed Haris
Asif Ali
Aamer Jamal
Shadab Khan
Shaheen Afridi
Abbas Afridi
Zaman Khan
Shanawaz Dhani
Mehran Mumtaz

A few players I like but miss out:

Sajjid Ali
Kamran Ghulam
Haseebullah
Usman Qadir
Abrar Ahmed
Arshad Iqbal
Pointless to debut so many and make comeback of so many players at once

Pointless to debut so many and make comeback of so many players at once
I don’t think so. I don’t follow anyone else other than Pakistan but it seems India, Australia, and England have done this because they understand the importance of creating a pool of players who are experienced at international level. In this regard we are well behind and need to play catch up.

National men's selection committee convenes in Lahore

Pakistan men’s national selection committee convened in Lahore on Thursday.

Chief selector Wahab Riaz, and members of the selection committee Tauseef Ahmed, Wajahatullah Wasti and Wasim Haider deliberated over the national selection matters regarding the five-match T20I series against New Zealand. Consultant member Rao Iftikhar Anjum was also present in the meeting, while Kamran Akmal will attend tomorrow's meeting.

A training camp for the T20I probables will commence soon at National Cricket Academy, Lahore. The T20I series against New Zealand is set to begin on 12 January 2024.

Azam Khan must be included as an opener and he should be asked to play his natural game from ball one

As per Reports, Pakistan cricket team suffered a major blow ahead of the five-match T20I series against New Zealand as all-rounder and vice-captain Shadab Khan is likely to miss the tour due to a foot injury.

Shadab sustained a foot injury in the recently-held National T20 Cup and has been sidelined since then.

His participation in the upcoming five-match T20I series is highly unlikely and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will look for the 25-year-old’s replacement in the coming days.

The PCB aims to announce the squad for the New Zealand tour on December 25.

As per Reports, Pakistan cricket team suffered a major blow ahead of the five-match T20I series against New Zealand as all-rounder and vice-captain Shadab Khan is likely to miss the tour due to a foot injury.

Shadab sustained a foot injury in the recently-held National T20 Cup and has been sidelined since then.

His participation in the upcoming five-match T20I series is highly unlikely and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will look for the 25-year-old’s replacement in the coming days.

Finally Abrar will be given a chance in t20s.

Time to give young guns a chance.

If Pakistan selects a full strength squad, then I will feel great pleasure in seeing them getting whitewashed.

Major blow for whom?i am sure they are talking about nz because pak doesn't need this garbage spinner in team

Sharjeel Khan
Azam Khan
Sahibzada Farhan
Umar Akmal
Sarfraz Ahmed (c) (wk)
Shoaib Malik
Asif Ali
Aamer Jamaal
Raza Hasan
Zaman Khan
Mohammad Amir

If Babar and Rizwan get selected