Pakistan suffer a familiar batting collapse to end Day 2 of the 2nd Test against Australia at 194/6, trail by 124 runs

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some chance but its not like keeper is missing easy byes.
This is the keeper you guys have screamed and wanted in your side over Sarfaraz. He has to be good enough to stop those??? Sarfaraz missing them was the reason why Rizwan should be back?!

This is the keeper you guys have screamed and wanted in your side over Sarfaraz. He has to be good enough to stop those??? Sarfaraz missing them was the reason why Rizwan should be back?!
Me? I don't care who is keeping.

Since you asked, how old is Sarf?

Half-centutry!

KsIugOV.png
So poor.

It’s not the same pitch or the same bowling so you can’t compare the number of byes per match so easily like that.

Rizwan is clearly the better wicket keeper. This is accepted by not just Pakistani cricket fans but also analysts and fans in all countries across the entire world. The whole talk of the first Test even amongst the Australian analysts was why Rizwan did not play in place of Sarfraz.

This guy Abdullah doesn't give good vibes at all. Looks mostly disinterested and meek with his body language.

It’s not the same pitch or the same bowling so you can’t compare the number of byes per match so easily like that.

Rizwan is clearly the better wicket keeper. This is accepted by not just Pakistani cricket fans but also analysts and fans in all countries across the entire world. The whole talk of the first Test even amongst the Australian analysts was why Rizwan did not play in place of Sarfraz.
Also, Sarf is getting old. How old is he?

I am not sure he should be the one playing for Pakistan when Rizwan is doing reasonably well.

318 all out! I absolutely would have taken that at the start of the match. If not for the dropped catches and extras we could have gotten them out for so much lower.

Would have snapped your hands off if offered 318 all out at the start of the innings

The concern is the damage their bowlers will do in these conditions, I'd be shocked if we even get close to 250

why is the this guy Shafiq still in slips? he is literally the worst slip fielder.

Marnus, Smith and Khawaja are 3 wickets to be earned. Rest of Australian batters give you plenty of chances because of their batting style. All depends how you take it.

I am not sure he should be the one playing for Pakistan when Rizwan is doing reasonably well.
Yeah Sarfraz was good in his prime but even in his prime he was horrible in overseas conditions.

Rizwan’s record in SENA countries is already 100x better and Rizwan is one of the best wicket keepers in the world. He should be playing as wicket keeper no matter what, while Sarfraz can potentially play as a middle order batsmen on slow pitches in Asia.

Lack of pace, for once, resulting in the wicket. Had it been a quick delivery, it most probably would have carried over long leg for 6.

Amazing stuff to go from 200-3 to all out just over 300 is great. Thought they’d get at least 350. If we bat well we actually have a shot now.

We need to bat for as long as possible. Both because we need to pile on the runs and hope that we do not have to chase a high target in the 4th innings, but also because our pacers need a lot of rest.

Good performance but 52 extras are too much but bowlers did the job

Amazing stuff to go from 200-3 to all out just over 300 is great. Thought they’d get at least 350. If we bat well we actually have a shot now.

Concern is the pitch is still offering a lot and they have a much better bowling attack, we'd do well to get near their total

Really could do with 1 batsman stepping up and making a ton

318 a good score to bowl em out on but could have been better without so many extras.
Trail by fire coming after lunch, have to negotiate probably the finest pace attack in the test arena right now

If not for those extras and drops, it could have been 250.

Abdullah needs to go to the next city by foot. What a bum this guy is in the field. Incredible. If I am Shan this guy is not getting lunch until he learns to catch.

I’m not a Sarfraz fan but have you heard of a film called The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?

You can definitely score here if you apply yourself. It’s not a batting or bowling nightmare.

It’s just that the quality of both sides will eventually show…

I’m not a Sarfraz fan but have you heard of a film called The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?
LOL, but reflex will become a bigger factor on bouncy pitches for Sarf. I remember him being good on low bounce pitches against spin. I am not sure why some posters are pushing for Sarf here and why he actually played in the first test.

I am not giving an excuse. Infact, just adding historical context. If anything, it tells how mediocre the fast bowling has been in Australia. On pitches with not much movement , the bowling has been completely toothless in Australia. They failed to utilise the pace and bounce on offer in Australia due to poor lengths, lack of control and pace.
It's been after a long long time that Pak pace unit has bowled in partnership throughout the inning. And they did reasonably well I'd say here I'd say. Shan's captaincy has been very good so far.

Score is not 400 so Pakistan is in the game here. Needs to bat well and bat long.

Lets judge the pitch after both sides have batted.

Score is not 400 so Pakistan is in the game here. Needs to bat well and bat long.

Lets judge the pitch after both sides have batted.
I just hope Pakistan doesnt get bundled out for 100.

The pitch has quickened on day 2. The only way to go on this is by attacking.

It's been after a long long time that Pak pace unit has bowled in partnership throughout the inning. And they did reasonably well I'd say here I'd say. Shan's captaincy has been very good so far.
I think it has a lot to do with conditions. They bowled well but gave away far too many easy runs as well.

The attack Pakistan had in 2016 (Amir, Rahat, Wahab) would probably have done even better on THIS pitch. All above 135kph with reasonable accuracy.

Even 2019 attack with better and quicker version of Shaheen along with Imran Khan junior and Abbas would have probably bowled Australia out conceding much less than this lot.

Anyways, considering the ability of the attack, they have done as well as they could have.

Yah, just sitting there will eventually get you out. Ball was moving entire time so needs to look for runs without being reckless.

May be, just may be, one of the batsman can play attacking game. It may throw Aus bowlers off and 300 are not that many runs if some one gets a ton.

How to attack though? It is almost suicidal to drive on this pitch unless it is really full. They hardly give any short and wide deliveries. You can't just attack if the ball isn't there.
Perhaps the best way to go is take middle leg stump guard and start taking chances on short of length deliveries by throwing your bat with horizontal bat. Just hope you don't get thin edges!

How to attack though? It is almost suicidal to drive on this pitch unless it is really full. They hardly give any short and wide deliveries. You can't just attack if the ball isn't there.
Perhaps the best way to go is take middle leg stump guard and start taking chances on short of length deliveries by throwing your bat with horizontal bat. Just hope you don't get thin edges!
You don't need to do that but you do need to always look for runs. Some balls comes where you can score, but if you are just looking to survive then you don't score even on those balls.

expectations are low so this is a good performance for me lol.

It will be a win for Pakistan if we manage to avoid the follow on and make Aus bat again on this track.

You don't need to do that but you do need to always look for runs. Some balls comes where you can score, but if you are just looking to survive then you don't score even on those balls.
Those 'some' balls are few and far between.
My biggest gripe is the batters inability to drop and run. They get stuck at one end and the bowler has the chance to work over a batter.
Other than that, I think they probably have to start slashing at length deliveries with even an hint of width. Hopefully, they either meet the middle of the bat or go flying over slips with thick edges.

I have little hope when you got batsmen like Imam who’re looking to half centuries off 150 balls.

LOL, but reflex will become a bigger factor on bouncy pitches for Sarf. I remember him being good on low bounce pitches against spin. I am not sure why some posters are pushing for Sarf here and why he actually played in the first test.

They like the tempo he bats. He looks to score runs quickly and rotate the strike but yeah age isn’t on his side.

Positive from Imam, taking on full half-volley by going for the drive. You have to trust your drive game against very full deliveries even if they are swinging.

Starc 127 kph first ball, learning from the maestro Shaheen.
One weird thing I noticed was all of the Australian team’s pacers were down in the last match as well.

Is it just something about the Australian pitches?

Imam’s average against the short ball is the most useless stat ever.

Good to see Gilchrist suss out why it’s so high.

One weird thing I noticed was all of the Australian team’s pacers were down in the last match as well.

Is it just something about the Australian pitches?
Starc did tocuh 145 kph during some of his spells.
Cummins' pace was a bit down, I agree.

But in any case, the speed is measured in the air after the ball is released by the bowler. So cant be pitch-related.

But one thing that is clearly noticeable is the difference in pace off the pitch. Australian bowlers mostly don't lose that much pace off the pitch while with Pakistan bowlers, you can clearly feel the lack of pace after the ball pitches.

That's the way to play: anything full you have to go after it. Nice square drive by Abdullah for 4.

Abdullah's weight transfer not great there; was hanging on the back foot when he drove that one for a couple of runs.

That’s it. Just stick around, keep pushing the ball around. No need to go into your shell. There’s no 400 or 500 on board

That's a jaffa! Not much Abdullah could have done with that one. Perfect length, drew him forward and just holds its line.

Starc did tocuh 145 kph during some of his spells.
Cummins' pace was a bit down, I agree.

But in any case, the speed is measured in the air after the ball is released by the bowler. So cant be pitch-related.

But one thing that is clearly noticeable is the difference in pace off the pitch. Australian bowlers mostly don't lose that much pace off the pitch while with Pakistan bowlers, you can clearly feel the lack of pace after the ball pitches.
I meant that may be the actual ground and pitch is harder on the legs in some way?

Just weird seeing both sides have lower pace than usual.

Liked how they showed Hazelwood vs Imam in that over. Consistent line & length and it's such a tough test for the batsmen to navigate that. That's what our bowlers need.

Cummins always seems the biggest threat to me. Bangs it in at a length then gets it to straighten at times dangerously for the right handers.

I meant that may be the actual ground and pitch is harder on the legs in some way?

Just weird seeing both sides have lower pace than usual.
Thanks for the clarification.

I think it could be a reason for Pakistan's bowlers struggles in general but not for Aussie bowlers. They have bowled all their lives on these grounds.

Imam looks like he'll get out at any moment.
Same goes for Abdullah to be honest. Infact, from what I am seeing, Imam looks more assured than Abdullah.
Imam is only getting beaten by the good ones while Abdullah on other hand has wafted at a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back