Pakistan v Australia | 1st ODI | Dubai | 22/4/09 [Aus Inngs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheikh

T20I Debutant
Runs
Just a few hours away from the toss and the start of a series that holds importance for both sides.

It's been 4 years since we last played an odi against the Aussies and both teams have seen several changes. The rendezvous point for this meeting is a new one as it's a baptism for Dubai as a cricketing venue.

What sort of pitch will be produced? What strategies will be employed? Will :inti take a nap at some point? Will :younis be around to enlighten us?

Some life and death questions there...all shall be revealed soon.

Will Butt sahib score a century ? Will Akhtar bowl some fiery deliveries above 145 Km/h ?

thread opened up now.

Just over an hour to go to the start of what promises to be a very intriguing contest.

looking forward to it
will love to this one to set the right tone for the rest of the series
:akhtar

Win the toss and bat I would think? Best to make first use. Also I'd imagine there's a fair amount of dew in the evening making it tough for the spinners and fielders to grip the ball.

One hour and 8 minutes to go :)

Hmmm.........what should we do????

Ok, let's discuss the game and start with recent record:
(last five ODIs, most recent first)

Pakistan LLWWW
Australia WLLLW

We won 3 of our last 5 ODis whereas Aussies won 2 out of last 5 ODIs :D

The pitch will be an interesting one - does anyone know how long this pitch has been laid down and whether much cricket has been played on it previously?

Possible team combinations

Australia (probable) 1 Shaun Marsh, 2 Shane Watson, 3 Brad Haddin (wk), 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Andrew Symonds, 6 David Hussey, 7 Callum Ferguson, 8 Nathan Hauritz, 9 Stuart Clark, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Ben Laughlin.

I think Australia will play Hopes instead of Laughlin

Pakistan (probable) 1 Salman Butt, 2 Nasir Jamshed, 3 Younis Khan, 4 Misbah-ul-Haq, 5 Shoaib Malik, 6 Shahid Afridi, 7 Kamran Akmal (wk), 8 Sohail Tanvir, 9 Umar Gul, 10 Shoaib Akhtar, 11 Saeed Ajmal.

As much as i want Fawad to play, i think we will most probably play the above lineup.

Waseem said:
One hour and 8 minutes to go :)

Hmmm.........what should we do????

Ok, let's discuss the game and start with recent record:
(last five ODIs, most recent first)

Pakistan LLWWW
Australia WLLLW

We won 3 of our last 5 ODis whereas Aussies won 2 out of last 5 ODIs :D

In other words the ozzies have been out of form for a long time now.

Saj said:
The pitch will be an interesting one - does anyone know how long this pitch has been laid down and whether much cricket has been played on it previously?

From what I've heard from the pitch, it's imported from Pakistan, should be a batting track. Extra bounce, pace and swing should be in the pitch as well, due to the fact that it's new.

The pitch is said to be a good one for spinners. lately Australia have struggled against spinners. I think Ajmal will be in the 11.

I really hope that the Pakistani team doesn't disappoint today. We deserve some good cricket after all that's been happening.

Da Best said:
In other words the ozzies have been out of form for a long time now.

Some more stuff from cricinfo:

Australia have been in wretched ODI form this year, winning only five matches out of 15, and losing nine.

Nathan Bracken has been one of the below-par performers during this period, with 16 wickets in 14 matches at an average of 39.93 and an economy rate of 5.34.

In 11 ODIs against Australia, Younis has only scored 158 runs at an average of 15.80, with one half-century. :|

These two teams last played an ODI more than three years ago, during the VB Series in February 2005. Australia won the best-of-three finals 2-0

Best chance for Younis to improve his stats.

Last edited:
Saj said:
CricInfo:
Pitch and conditions
Pakistan aren't playing at home, but conditions at the Dubai Sports City Stadium will probably resemble those in Lahore or Karachi. The heat will be quite acute, and the dry conditions should offer plenty of encouragement for the spinners.

well according to yasir arafat... we can expect the unexpected on this pitch... the occasional ball doing more than u expect with bounce and seems like there should be something in it for both bowlers and batsman. seems consistent with the warm up match results.

The Weather Forecast

Current conditions as of 1:00 pm GST

Fair
Feels Like:82°
Barometer:29.83 in and falling
Humidity:42%
Visibility:6.21 mi
Dewpoint:57°
Wind:W 17 mph
Sunrise:5:50 am
Sunset:6:45 pm

I think Pakistan team picks itself even with two passangers in it (Afridi/Akmal)

I just hope the pakistan bowlers arent rusty and bowl a load of dross.

Bat 1st get runs on board is best option.

10 mins or so for the toss. I'm surprised cricindia hasn't started some coverage. Then again I guess they have the all important IPL to cover.

Sellouts.

Sheikh said:
10 mins or so for the toss. I'm surprised cricindia hasn't started some coverage. Then again I guess they have the all important IPL to cover.

Sellouts.

You got that right.

COuld someone tell me when TVN starts live feed of the match. My TVN seems to be "connecting to media" and then goes back to "ready" and doesnt play. Are others doing the same thing too?

Agree with the win the toss and bat first quotes.

280 as a minimum on this wicket.

Will Akhtar play ???

Gutted that I am not there as this series was one that I would have loved to have watched live.

TVN is working fine for me, ive got the CBN feed and its showing some old classic movie,

try opening TVN website in internet explorer

SohailQureshi said:
TVN is working fine for me, ive got the CBN feed and its showing some old classic movie,

I've got it open in Internet Explorer............. WTH, even demo clips arent working...ANY HELP on what to do?????/

umm try using mozilla firefox because thats what im using...

CricIndia started the coverage for the match!

SohailQureshi said:

that music is torturing me

insaftak said:
that music is torturing me

Haha! i agree thats why ive muted it, just hoping they cross live soon! quality looks awesome, i just hope its stays bufferless all the way through

Sheikh said:
Toss must have happened...

No news on Toss as yet.

2.00 pm: Our Pakistan Editor Osman Samiuddin gives us the series preview. They're showing some footage from the X-games on TV, some slick acrobatic moves, but the coverage should start soon.

God, thanksssssssssssssss...

It's working on Firefox, not in IE.... thanks SohailQureshi..

All pumped up here ...

Cant wait for this to start

Salazar said:
God, thanksssssssssssssss...

It's working on Firefox, not in IE.... thanks SohailQureshi..

All pumped up here ...

Cant wait for this to start

No Problem yaar im glad i could have helped! now enjoy the patch and cheer Pakistan on!!!

SohailQureshi said:
umm try using mozilla firefox because thats what im using...

CricIndia started the coverage for the match!

Ary hasn`t started the coverage yet. What is cricindia? I mean what is the whole adress?

I cant believe I freaked out like that. I guess it's been tooooo long Pakistan played a match

Guys - can we restrict this thread to match details.

Any posts on streams / HELP I CANT watch etc will be removed - please refer those to the appropriate receipient.

Anyone persisting will simply be removed from the thread

It's so ridiculous that it's been 15 mins since the toss took place and there's absolutely no information available.

Sheikh said:
Win the toss and bat I would think? Best to make first use. Also I'd imagine there's a fair amount of dew in the evening making it tough for the spinners and fielders to grip the ball.

Personally, I've never saw any team losing because of Dew, but I've seen many times (esp. in Pakistani matches) that a team losses 5-7 wickets waiting for Dew to come..

CBN showing a music video from the movie off 'Victory' Mazaa Aa Jay Gha if the match coverage starts!!

That means you are watching CBN. Thank God i am not the only one who is experiencing delusional about Masala Video running and why Cricket isn't.

Sheikh said:
It's so ridiculous that it's been 15 mins since the toss took place and there's absolutely no information available.

And how you know that?Did you tossed the coin for the toss?

In many threads before the series, everyone was saying, I'll believe Pakistan is playing Australia only when the toss happens.... What happened to the toss :eek:

Afridi_Fan said:
Dude have you ever followed cricket before? Do you know anything about the game? If you did then you'd know that the toss is ALWAYS half an hour before the game starts.

That means the toss was 20 mins ago. Do you get it?

Last edited:
Afridi_Fan said:

Well isn`t it normal with the toss 30 mins before the match starts? If so the toss must have taken place.

Just phoned MIG who is at the stadium but his phone was off :(

Honestly, I find the coverage for Pakistani games absurd and insulting to our cricket fans. Any other team .. . ANY .. other team against Australia and there would be at least 2 different networks with a pregame panel and discussion and television coverage at least 15-20 mins before the game as well as extended coverage of toss etc, minute by minute updates on cricinfo.

Once again, all the more reason this game is so important. Its time we strike back against this isolation and insulting bullsh*t.

I guess they are going to star coverage from the first ball and quickly show the teams. How s**t is that

IM NOT YOU said:
Honestly, I find the coverage for Pakistani games absurd and insulting to our cricket fans. Any other team .. . ANY .. other team against Australia and there would be at least 2 different networks with a pregame panel and discussion and television coverage at least 15-20 mins before the game as well as extended coverage of toss etc, minute by minute updates on cricinfo.

Once again, all the more reason this game is so important. Its time we strike back against this isolation and insulting bullsh*t.

Well I always think the state of the country & its Govt is reflected in its TV coverage for sports....

ARY Digital (UK) still not started its programm.

Bu I can tell you what the latest Drama releases for April are...

Khandaan - Coming SOON!

I had money on ARY (UK) missing the start of the match.....

I am 100% sure cricinfo is also waiting eagerly for the coverage to start on any TV channel.

Haha, my bijli went at the office and that means the cable is down too.

Lovely.

I have a feeling ARY arent showing this on cable (UK) - just satellite (as part of their Sahara One Mish-Mash-Masala Mix package)??

I am also enjoying the live coverage of Bollywood match on CBN. More reason to hate Bollywood, I guess.

seems the stadium not full yet... indeed lots of seats empty

what is this crap preview now on Ten Sports. Dont they want to show the first ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back