Pakistan v England | 3rd Test | DSC | Feb 3-7, 2012 | Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed Strike! Everyone knew that should have been the case, only God knows what Mi$bah was thinking

andy flower is such a whiner

it's hitting the stumps so it's out, end of

bet he wouldnt mind if it was swann bowling....

Not a bad team score. Two or three more wickets before close and it will be bad.

Come on Strauss, single please. Just try and place it, don't hit it too hard. You can do it. :adamsandler

Clipping 2.2 millimeteres of the leg-stump. Very harsh.

how is it harsh? it looked more out that that in real time and that is the whole point of this system, to leave the onus on the umpires

Will DRS be used for the India/England series?

BCCI are fools if they don't.

Batting's actually been pretty good by England so far. Much improved. Trott and pietersen were a bit unlucky (Pietersen was actually out though, trott wasn't), and Cook got a quality ball. Not throwing away their wickets and silly shots against the spinners which they've done throughout the series. If they batted with the concentration they're showing now, it might not be 2-0 going into this match.

Bell's fate lies clearly on ajmal. If he can pick him, or ajmal has an off day, then most likely he'll score.

I want to punch Misbah's face every time it comes up!

Nice jinx whippy. KP's poor record against spin in Asia continues. The facts don't back up your claim about him being a good player of spin, at least not in their conditions. Sad, because I'm a fan, and I think he's capable of better. England still on top in the game.

define good player of spin.

Will DRS be used for the India/England series?

BCCI are fools if they don't.
Used to be a URDS fan, but it's been very annoying this series. What's the point of having it, when they don't use it and it goes down to the umpire. Don't like this sticking to the umpire call, if URDS gives it out, it should be out.

Big hoohah being made of the DRS now, not a peep when Misbah was given out lbw to a very marginal Swann decision with the ball clipping leg.

That spun quite a bit! England batting last - how many days will this test last though? :rehman

KP has made up for things a bit today. Looked very comfortable and wouldn't have been given out on another day. I hope the people that matter note this, instead of buying into the inevitable media hype about left arm spin.

makes me wonder, was flower shaking his head because of taufel's original decision, or at the fact that the drs doesn't overrule those? LOL if the latter

Bell not interested in the single. Solid tuk to finish the over.

Strauss in potentially good innings shock. We really need it this time too.

His captaincy today has been disappointing, especially when KP came out to bat.

Those 32 runs that we conceded were given for free.

it' test match dude not t20 and gul and cheema were going fine that time seamer day today so normal he has to let bowl his 2 seamer

Batting's actually been pretty good by England so far. Much improved.
Yup, credit where it's due. Even their 327 in the first innings of the second test was very creditable. I still think, all else being equal, they're a better batting line-up than Pakistan. I'm glad we faced them at the start of their year in Asia, and not the end.

define good player of spin.
You can either define that as:
1) Someone who scores consistently against spinners in conditions where they're well suited, such as Asia. KP is not that, by simple fact of performance and scoreboards. And 16 dismissals to spinners now over 15 tests or so, at an average of about 30 is a significant statistical sample.

2) Someone who is capable of scoring against spinners in conditions where they're well suited, by virtue of having the footwork, eye, judgment of length, etc. I personally think KP has all the tools, as probably do you. But he should be converting that to more actual runs before he can be called an all-conditions good player of spin.

3) Someone who can tonk spinners on pitches in England,Australia and South Africa where the bounce is true and the ball comes on? KP all day long!

And well, none of us would call an Asian batsman a good player of pace if he can only score runs against them on Asian pitches. At least I wouldn't, I can't speak for my fellow fans.

Last edited:
it' test match dude not t20 and gul and cheema were going fine that time seamer day today so normal he has to let bowl his 2 seamer

To each his own. I think his captaincy was lacking today.

Misbah should have brought Rehman on earlier to KP. hes got him out though anways!

Is a lot simpler to me than that.

Player who averages 96 against legspin, 56 against offspin, has 4 150s against Warne and Murali, has strong home and away record v India is good player of spin.

Everything negative gets blown out of proportion when it's KP. Nasser Hussain was even saying today that he can't remember a more scrutinised and polarising player in history.

KP has made up for things a bit today. Looked very comfortable and wouldn't have been given out on another day. I hope the people that matter note this, instead of buying into the inevitable media hype about left arm spin.

Abit? was another failure really! Hes a good player, but nothing special.

To each his own. I think his captaincy was lacking today.

The problem is Scoreboard will tell Mishab 9 wickets snared by pacers, history will tell him KP vulnerablity against Left armer's but your impatience comes from a very low score we are defending and crap that our pacers are bowling

so, yes when you are defending 92 got to be proactive but you need to give him benefit of doubt here

pietersen has an average of 29 in asia (excluding BD and including UAE) ,averages 28 against pace and 17 against spin ,so nothing much to choose from. He is poor in asian conditions.

pietersen has an average of 29 in asia (excluding BD and including UAE) ,averages 28 against pace and 17 against spin ,so nothing much to choose from. He is poor in asian conditions.
yep

Good player of spin in non asian conditions. Poor player of spin in asia.

Pietersen always seems to struggle with quality spinners in spinning asian conditions.

He's got a strong case in his favour.

Yeah.. it's called not out.

looool, can Ramiz just speak his English with a straight bat for once? :raja

lol - Can Rameez never give a straight opinion. Why is he sooo bloody diplomatic

How does quoting a players average 'against spin' prove much? That can surely include a lot of bogus part-timers like Katich or someone. Pietersen was an amazing player in 05/06 of all bowling, hasn't been that player for a long time. Still a very good bat though, but certainly troubled by spin in these conditions.

yep

Good player of spin in non asian conditions. Poor player of spin in asia.

Pietersen always seems to struggle with quality spinners in spinning asian conditions.

Can't say this because he is equally bad against pace in asian conditions, at least his average suggest this. But hean excellent player anywhere if he gets going. 2 100s and 2 50sin 26 innings show how bad he is in asia.

They've played spin much better so far. Big strides and using their bats.

lol strauss shielding bell from ajmal.

Come on bell's a experienced batsman. If he can't face Bell, then he's not good enough. Shielding Bell like he's a tailender is not the right thing to do.

Come on boys need to look to get atleast a wicket or 2 more before they get to 100

How does quoting a players average 'against spin' prove much? That can surely include a lot of bogus part-timers like Katich or someone. Pietersen was an amazing player in 05/06 of all bowling, hasn't been that player for a long time. Still a very good bat though, but certainly troubled by spin in these conditions.

Yup he is an excellent player of all bowling , all he needs is a good start. But like many pakistan players in australia and england he is really bad in asia barring BD.

If they're shielding Bell and allowing him to get in against Rehman, so he can face Ajmal later when his feet are moving, it's a decent plan. He keeps on failing to get in against Ajmal, so why not.

Can't say this because he is equally bad against pace in asian conditions, at least his average suggest this. But hean excellent player anywhere if he gets going. 2 100s and 2 50sin 26 innings show how bad he is in asia.
Generally from seeing him, he's looked a lot worse against spin in asia than pace. If he could play spin a bit better in asia, reckon that record in asia would improve dramatically. Even if he doesn't get out to spinners he's uneasy playing it and it creates pressure (leading him to lose his wicket against pacers sometimes).

He's a great batsman, but he doesn't do well in asia for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back