Pakistan v England | 3rd Test | DSC | Feb 3-7, 2012 | Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
KP aint too bad in India in all formats. Often the biggest test for England and Australia players.

edit, actually a very good record. Posting Asia stats minus Bangladesh is an unhelpful analysis.

Last edited:
I think it's a definite plan to shield him for the first 20 or so balls, allow his to settle.

If they're shielding Bell and allowing him to get in against Rehman, so he can face Ajmal later when his feet are moving, it's a decent plan. He keeps on failing to get in against Ajmal, so why not.
If they do that, Strauss will be more likely to get out in my opinion. Strauss isn't exactly looking great against ajmal either and that last over was very dangerous.

Bell's got the widest array of strokes and best technique to counter spin. One of the reasons he's in the team. Needs to have a chance to prove himself whether he fails or not.

Bell needs to take some responsibility.

KP aint too bad in India in all formats. Often the biggest test for England and Australia players.

edit, actually a very good record. Posting Asia stats minus Bangladesh is an unhelpful analysis.

Even with that he averages 35. good? dont think so.
averages 33 in pakistan :(

Last edited:
Clever tempter outside off, Bell still doesn't want the single - leaves it alone LOL.

Rehman offers a freebie to Bell, he leaves it so he doesnt have to face Ajmal

This is not how Bell usually plays. Play your natural game Bell, look to rotate the strike and pick up the singles. At least against Rehman anyway. Bell's played quite a few balls he easily could have got runs off.

All we can see is that KP is a poor batsman in UAE and Sri Lanka. beyond that he has clear merit.

Not picked by Bell, two runs attempting a six. Ajmal clapping. :))

Is a lot simpler to me than that.

Player who averages 96 against legspin, 56 against offspin, has 4 150s against Warne and Murali, has strong home and away record v India is good player of spin.

Everything negative gets blown out of proportion when it's KP. Nasser Hussain was even saying today that he can't remember a more scrutinised and polarising player in history.

I might be mistaken, but didn't you once bash Samaraweera for being a FTB, because he only scored runs against pace at home and not abroad? (And against good pace bowlers at that - he's tortured Pakistan). And didn't you critique jayawardene for the same, despite two double hundreds on Aisan pitches against Steyn , Pollock and co(both scores in Asia of course) ? By that criteria, Pietersen's average of 30 against spin in Asia is relevant.

We all have our own opinions. I should say, I'm coming from a position of critiquing KP as a potential great, not "does he deserve to be dropped or not" like some of the media idiots. One of my favorite cricketing memories is watching KP live in an ODI against Pakistan in Lahore. He hit some breathtaking sixers- I was probably one of the few spectators cheering in a very partisan Pakistani crowd :). KP is a match winner who scores big hundreds at pace, I never understand the media who want him dropped from the team.

I'm just saying, there's a reason the likes of Dravid are rated above Sehwag (in my book), and that's because they can play all types of bowling in all conditions. KP can amass all the runs he wants - he's a very good player - but to be defined as the great I think he should be, he needs to be a consistent performer against spin in Asia. Asian batsmen certainly get no end of flak if they can't perform against pace abroad, no matter how good their "overall" records against pace are, with 50+ averages and what not.

That said, I'm probably just wasting time on long arguments, because I enjoy debate and I'm procrastinating paper reading :p. Sigh.....I'll stop this here before I get pulled up for trolling a commentary thread.

Last edited:
:)))

iDone. Again. Bell has provided so much comedy in this series. :))) :)))

Ridiculous play by Bell, trying to stay in blocking then trying to hit a few boundaries when in. Should have played natural game picking the singles. Ruined the momentum of England's innings, should be out here.

gonna be not out benefit to the batsman. So annoying.

How stupid is this third umpire?

Clear out given after 10 minutes.

Now strauss will have to shield Morgan against Rehman.
Morgan can't pick ajmal or Rehman through this series. No real point. Only way morgan will score is chance his arm hit a few and hope momentum carries him to a big score. Has to attack, can't forge out an innings here.

Great over, Strauss must be facepalming at the non-strikers end. Only took a few deliveries. :ajmal

Strauss needs to stop worrying about his other batsmen. They need to take responsibility, just focus on himself staying in. If Strauss goes, the impact will be huge.

Plus England's second best player of spin after Trott is still waiting to bat anyway.

I know he's playing for his place, but Morgan needs to treat this as an ODI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back