Pakistan vs New Zealand | 2nd T20I | Rawalpindi | April 20 | New Zealand Innings

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Today, on Saturday (April 20), Pakistan and New Zealand are set to face off in the second T20I of their five-match series at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium. Both teams are eager for a full match after rain disrupted the first game of the series.

On Thursday (April 18), the series opener was cut short due to rain. The Blackcaps, led by Michael Bracewell, chose to bat first but the game was halted after just two balls bowled by the Babar Azam-led Pakistani side. The match was eventually called off with the score at 2 for 1 in 0.2 overs. Both teams will be hoping for better weather and more play time in today’s match.

MjeJiY2.png

Squads:

New Zealand
Squad: Tim Seifert(w), Tim Robinson, Michael Bracewell(c), Josh Clarkson, James Neesham, Mark Chapman, Jacob Duffy, Ish Sodhi, Ben Sears, William ORourke, Zakary Foulkes, Tom Blundell, Ben Lister, Dean Foxcroft, Cole McConchie

Pakistan Squad: Babar Azam(c), Saim Ayub, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Rizwan(w), Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Imad Wasim, Naseem Shah, Shaheen Afridi, Usama Mir, Zaman Khan, Azam Khan, Mohammad Amir, Abrar Ahmed, Abbas Afridi, Irfan Khan, Usman Khan

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Expecting an unchanged XI today.

Yep. Not expecting any change for today's game. Understandable.

Should bat first in case Pakistan wins the toss??
I’d like to bat first just so we can at least try to start figuring out or batting combination.

I’d like to bat first just so we can at least try to start figuring out or batting combination.
Yeah. Batting or bowling first might not matter much. Bowling should be good enough to defend any total.

Don’t mind another couple of washouts at Pindi

Horrendous venue

Either way if we win the toss we should bowl and knock the kiwis over as soon as possible using the conditions.

A chance to psychologically dent them at the start of the tour.
Psychologically dent them? This isn’t the Ashes mate. It’s just a formality series where these NZ players are here for a picnic. They won’t care if they lose all games

Babar needs to get these wins under our belts - But should not be afraid to try out new combinations.

All wins are welcome.

Nothing succeeds like success.

Babar needs to get these wins under our belts - But should not be afraid to try out new combinations.

All wins are welcome.

Exactly , we should try the best combination in this series to get our playing XI for the worldcup. Bowling looks alright by every means , probably the best in the world

should open with saim/fakhar, usman 3 down or saim/usman/ and fakhar 3 down

only one of babar or rizwan should play 4 down cant have both in the line up vs newzealand C/D team unless one of them play 5 down

Psychologically dent them? This isn’t the Ashes mate. It’s just a formality series where these NZ players are here for a picnic. They won’t care if they lose all games
This is international sport.

You play to win regardless of who your opponent is.

You need to be ruthless.

You do realise this is newzealand C/D team 7 of their main players are playing IPL 🤣
Whether its their Z team is not our problem.

Did we ask them to send them???.

These cricket boards profit of players playing in leagues and prioritise money over international prestige.

Our job is to be ruthless on the field and expose it.

If they get battered it might dissuade boards to send inexperienced international players for fear of backlash.

All wins are welcome.

Babar said in his presser that they will try out different combos and will look to settle the line-up either by the Ireland or England series.

Whether its their Z team is not our problem.

Did we ask them to send them???.

These cricket boards profit of players playing in leagues and prioritise money over international prestige.

Our job is to be ruthless on the field and expose it.

If they get battered it might dissuade boards to send inexperienced international players for fear of backlash.
Bro at this time of moment we are trying to test our players for world cup.

we can act like cricket police at a later time and punish everyone who are sending z teams

Bro at this time of moment we are trying to test our players for world cup.

we can act like cricket police at a later time and punish everyone who are sending z teams
You misunderstand my meaning.

I'm not advocating taking action against the NZ board.

I'm saying we should ruthlessly batter them on the field which might dissuade these boards from prioritising money over international prestige because of the backlash they could get from it.

No country likes loosing badly on the international stage.

Weather update: The sky is clear, the sun is shining, and the wind is blowing in Islamabad and Rawalpindi.

Saim/Rizwan to open, Babar coming in at number 3.

Only one of Usman or Fakhar should play in the middle-order.
oh bhai we are trying to hit 50-60 runs by the 6th over not 30-40 runs babar and rizwan should come in at 4 and 5 after saim usman and fakhar

oh bhai we are trying to hit 50-60 runs by the 6th over not 30-40 runs babar and rizwan should come in at 4 and 5 after saim usman and fakhar
Yes, and we might be three down by the 3rd over if that happens.

Saim was average against NZ, kept throwing his wicket away in the power play while Fakhar has had limited success as a T20 opener in international cricket. Can't comment on Usman, as it remains to be seen how he manages international cricket so all this talk about him being this and that is premature to say the least.

On what basis do fans here want Saim and Fakhar to open? There is no statistical evidence that this combination will get us off to good starts consistently. Fakhar's T20 SR is as good as Babar's FYI.

I say remove Chacha from the line up. Add Imad. Tell Chacha he is no longer needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saim/Rizwan to open, Babar coming in at number 3.

Only one of Usman or Fakhar should play in the middle-order.
This series is about trying out combos.

Saim and Fakhar have the potential to be destructive in the first 6 as could Usman.

The reason I would go Fakhar and Saim is we can cash in early doors and attack freely knowing Babar and co are behind.

When Babar opens he knows he is the prize wicket which is why he is cautious at times because he wants to bat out the 20 overs.

This way the first 6 PP is maximised and he can control the innings with the rest batting around him.

Yes, and we might be three down by the 3rd over if that happens.

Saim was average against NZ, kept throwing his wicket away in the power play while Fakhar has had limited success as a T20 opener in international cricket. Can't comment on Usman, as it remains to be seen how he manages international cricket so all this talk about him being this and that is premature to say the least.

On what basis do fans here want Saim and Fakhar to open? There is no statistical evidence that this combination will get us off to good starts consistently. Fakhar's T20 SR is as good as Babar's FYI.
this isn't the days of ahmed Shehzad, the whole point of this series is to experiment. babar and rizwan have been big failures in the powerplay even after playing 70+ games in that position

you need to give saim a run on this position can't disregard him after hand full of games when rizzu bhai and bobsy the king have been hogging the position for years

these 2 should be nowhere in the top 3 and should only come in after the first power play

i'd take 30/1 after 3 overs and 60/2 after 6 overs and then rizwan and babar can come and do tuk tuk until the 14th over

I'm saying we should ruthlessly batter them on the field which might dissuade these boards from prioritising money over international prestige because of the backlash they could get from it.

That's just Pakistan.

Other countries don't care if they lose with their Z team 5-0 if they uncover a few players.

this isn't the days of ahmed Shehzad, the whole point of this series is to experiment. babar and rizwan have been big failures in the powerplay even after playing 70+ games in that position

you need to give saim a run on this position can't disregard him after hand full of games when rizzu bhai and bobsy the king have been hogging the position for years

these 2 should be nowhere in the top 3 and should only come in after the first power play

i'd take 30/1 after 3 overs and 60/2 after 6 overs a
Yeah, more like 10/2 after 2 overs as they are not good enough to give 'flying' starts that Pakistan fans want them to. I agree, they take more risks and should have the capability to do that considering how they play, but they aren't good enough.

Any half-decent international bowler will eat them alive and we will be two down within the first 2 overs anyway.

We saw how Saim got exposed in the NZ series. Not a knock on him, I think he is a fantastic talent who has the ability to do well at international level. But he has a lot to learn at this stage. He is opening anyway, with either Babar or Rizwan.

Babar-Rizwan combo isn't our ideal T20 opening partnership, never will be in modern day cricket. But they are only filling in as stop-gap for when we produce true T20 openers, who can consistently give us quick starts at a decent pace. Fakhar unfortunately has below average stats in T20 cricket, which is why he doesn't fill the rest of us with much confidence.

This series is about trying out combos.

Saim and Fakhar have the potential to be destructive in the first 6 as could Usman.

The reason I would go Fakhar and Saim is we can cash in early doors and attack freely knowing Babar and co are behind.

When Babar opens he knows he is the prize wicket which is why he is cautious at times because he wants to bat out the 20 overs.

This way the first 6 PP is maximised and he can control the innings with the rest batting around him.
Isn't the aim to figure out the right combination for the World Cup, while covering any weakness' we have?

Considering we have 11 T20Is coming, and five of them coming up against the defending champions, we should have our combination and back-ups ready before the England series starts.

Very naive thinking. When you send a C/D team, no board cares about the result. There's no backlash because public also knows that it is C/D team.

Yeah, more like 10/2 after 2 overs as they are not good enough to give 'flying' starts that Pakistan fans want them to. I agree, they take more risks and should have the capability to do that considering how they play, but they aren't good enough.

Any half-decent international bowler will eat them alive and we will be two down within the first 2 overs anyway.

We saw how Saim got exposed in the NZ series. Not a knock on him, I think he is a fantastic talent who has the ability to do well at international level. But he has a lot to learn at this stage. He is opening anyway, with either Babar or Rizwan.

Babar-Rizwan combo isn't our ideal T20 opening partnership, never will be in modern day cricket. But they are only filling in as stop-gap for when we produce true T20 openers, who can consistently give us quick starts at a decent pace. Fakhar unfortunately has below average stats in T20 cricket, which is why he doesn't fill the rest of us with much confidence.

cricket is as a team game when your batting with rizwan or babar you automatically have that extra pressure this series is to try combinations lets try fakhar and saim, fakhar will finally play along side someone his own level rather than someone timid on the other side making fakhar extract all the pressure.

That's just Pakistan.

Other countries don't care if they lose with their Z team 5-0 if they uncover a few players.
There s ways of loosing

If teams are hammered ruthlessly they will sit up and take notice.

It would be serious food for thought.

If its close contests then I agree they wont care.

Very naive thinking. When you send a C/D team, no board cares about the result. There's no backlash because public also knows that it is C/D team.
If international cricket is to be preserved as the pinnacle then this needs to be looked at seriously.

No one cares about leagues either.

Do you think foreign fans care about franchise leagues over their countries???.

The corrupt icc needs to do its job and govern and safeguard the game for all not for its pocket.

There s ways of loosing

If teams are hammered ruthlessly they will sit up and take notice.

It would be serious food for thought.

If its close contests then I agree they wont care.
other teams don't care they are just treating this series as a "A Tour" giving their young ones an opportunity to gain some experience at international level, but i bet you we will field our full strength team to inflate averages

100% agree. Had Pakistani battered them last year 5-0 or 4-0 in Pakistan then NZC wouldn't have dared send "Super Smash" eleven this time around.

It's a beautiful summer evening at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium and weather is clear for a full contest. Once again, fans have come in large numbers in hope of a cracking contest

The Babar-Rizwan debate is going in circles. For 3 years we've had one set of fans arguing there's no alternative; and another set of fans arguing there isn't an alternative because they haven't been given the long rope Babar-Rizwan have enjoyed.

Babar and Rizwan as openers have identical SRs at 130 which means Pakistan will on average score 46 in the PP. That's below par in an era where teams are scoring 200 without breaking sweat. Even their biggest fans would acknowledge that's problematic.

Even if the alternatives aren't blindingly obvious - the principle that you cannot have two identical, accumulating style of openers remains true. Now I agree with their fans the other options haven't covered themselves in glory.

But that doesn't mean we stop trying. If Saim can't get the job done, move onto the next guy and so on.

The Babar-Rizwan debate is going in circles. For 3 years we've had one set of fans arguing there's no alternative; and another set of fans arguing there isn't an alternative because they haven't been given the long rope Babar-Rizwan have enjoyed.

Babar and Rizwan as openers have identical SRs at 130 which means Pakistan will on average score 46 in the PP. That's below par in an era where teams are scoring 200 without breaking sweat. Even their biggest fans would acknowledge that's problematic.

Even if the alternatives aren't blindingly obvious - the principle that you cannot have two identical, accumulating style of openers remains true. Now I agree with their fans the other options haven't covered themselves in glory.

But that doesn't mean we stop trying. If Saim can't get the job done, move onto the next guy and so on.
The issue is who is the next guy? Do you want to keep gambling on mediocre players in the hope that one will stick around eventually?

Fakhar is an example. His T20 record as an opener is below average. More often than not he gets out inside the powerplay, and Babar comes in with the added pressure of having lost a wicket.

Saim is good, but you can’t gamble on him performing in a high octane ICC tournament when he is barely performing in bilateral series.

We can replace Babar and Rizwan when we see the talent who actually fit the bill of modern day T20 openers.

For now, you just cannot throw away someone with an average of 50+ at pretty much the same SR as Fakhar Zaman and someone who has notched up the second most T20 100s.

The issue with the ARY feed is that they're getting it from A Sports which is supposedly HD and it's deterioing the quality even further on ARY.

Willow has the best stream quality I guess of the real channels.

Azam Khan ruled out of New Zealand T20Is

Rawalpindi, 20 April 2024:

Azam Khan has been advised to undergo a 10-day rest following radiology reports confirming a Grade One tear of his right calf muscle. Consequently, Azam will be unable to participate in the ongoing T20I series against New Zealand, which culminates in Lahore on April 27.

Azam will now depart from the Pakistan men’s cricket team and report to the National Cricket Academy, where he will commence his rehabilitation process under the supervision of the PCB medical panel.

The discomfort in Azam's right calf was first noticed during batting practice in the pre-first T20I training session at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

Azam Khan ruled out of New Zealand T20Is

Rawalpindi, 20 April 2024:

Azam Khan has been advised to undergo a 10-day rest following radiology reports confirming a Grade One tear of his right calf muscle. Consequently, Azam will be unable to participate in the ongoing T20I series against New Zealand, which culminates in Lahore on April 27.

Azam will now depart from the Pakistan men’s cricket team and report to the National Cricket Academy, where he will commence his rehabilitation process under the supervision of the PCB medical panel.

The discomfort in Azam's right calf was first noticed during batting practice in the pre-first T20I training session at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

Well that's the end of Azam Khan.

Back