Pakistan vs New Zealand 1st T20I match abandoned due to rain in Rawalpindi

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The upcoming T20I series, consisting of five matches between Pakistan and New Zealand, is anticipated to be a significant challenge for both teams as they prepare for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

The inaugural match is scheduled for April 18th at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium. With several senior players not participating, New Zealand will be led by Michael Bracewell, while Babar Azam will helm the Pakistan team. Both squads are keen to assert their superiority and build momentum in the run-up to the World Cup.

AsL33BO.png

Squads:

New Zealand
Squad: Tim Seifert(w), Tim Robinson, Michael Bracewell(c), Josh Clarkson, James Neesham, Mark Chapman, Jacob Duffy, Ish Sodhi, Ben Sears, William ORourke, Zakary Foulkes, Tom Blundell, Ben Lister, Dean Foxcroft, Cole McConchie

Pakistan Squad: Babar Azam(c), Saim Ayub, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Rizwan(w), Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Imad Wasim, Naseem Shah, Shaheen Afridi, Usama Mir, Zaman Khan, Azam Khan, Mohammad Amir, Abrar Ahmed, Abbas Afridi, Irfan Khan, Usman Khan

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

I’m very excited to see some international cricket again. Just can’t bring myself to ever seriously care about franchise cricket.

More exciting because we may be trying some new players and combos with Usman Khan. We finally also have Naseem and Shaheen back in business.

Babar said he's going to try a different combination in every game before the cup? A step in the right direction?

Am I finally getting my wish to test the bench strength and not have babar murder our bowlers?

Anyone who lives in Pindi? what is the weather like?

Babar said he's going to try a different combination in every game before the cup? A step in the right direction?

Am I finally getting my wish to test the bench strength and not have babar murder our bowlers?
Why you need to try every combination? Just try a couple combos that are best as you believe as captain and then give them time to settle before WT20 starts.

Why you need to try every combination? Just try a couple combos that are best as you believe as captain and then give them time to settle before WT20 starts.
You took the term EVERY COMBINATION a bit too literally.

Following New Zealanders are playing in the IPL. I wonder how many would make the first XI.

Devon Conway (Chennai Super Kings),
Daryl Mitchell (CSK),
Rachin Ravindra (CSK),
Mitchell Santner (CSK),
Kane Williamson (Gujarat Titans),
Lockie Ferguson (Royal Challengers Bangalore),
Trent Boult (Rajasthan Royals),
Glenn Philipps (Sunrisers Hyderabad).

I just hope Usman Khan does well. He has sacrificed a lot to play for Pakistan.

Keep hearing there’s expected to be rain right around the match start time..

Hopefully it can move back just a couple hours so we can get some cricket

Waiting to see same hopeless and senseless babar captaincy on the cards. Naseem putting his heart out and then getting injury. Amir and Imad performing, shaheen to put 6 deliveries all over the pitch,

I'm kinda hoping it rains, I have an exam at 9am tmr and Match starts midnight for me 😭😭.

So I can't really watch this game. I can watch the 4 consecutive games right after

I'm kinda hoping it rains, I have an exam at 9am tmr and Match starts midnight for me 😭😭.

So I can't really watch this game. I can watch the 4 consecutive games right after
Your hopes might fade away soon. Rain is expected but I don't think it is going to be a washout.

This battle is up there with the great ones in the past ie
Donald v Atherton
Mcgrath v Lara

Ish Sodhi v Fakhar Zaman

Following New Zealanders are playing in the IPL. I wonder how many would make the first XI.

Devon Conway (Chennai Super Kings),
Daryl Mitchell (CSK),
Rachin Ravindra (CSK),
Mitchell Santner (CSK),
Kane Williamson (Gujarat Titans),
Lockie Ferguson (Royal Challengers Bangalore),
Trent Boult (Rajasthan Royals),
Glenn Philipps (Sunrisers Hyderabad).

I just hope Usman Khan does well. He has sacrificed a lot to play for Pakistan.
Not sure about XI bu all these 8 players will be in the WT20 squad.

Good luck on your exams. Hopefully you wake up to Saim Ayub’s maiden international 100 :ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside I don't think saim is a once in a generational talent.

For me that was fakhar who pcb wasted, Fakhar is once in a generation because he's the first opener since saeed Anwar capable of these monster scores such as 200, 193, 180, ct final 100, 100 of 60.

This is why I get Mad when people say he deserved to be dropped, the focus needs to be to fix fakhar and find out why he's a tail ender on most days, Those 180 scores aren't flukes, their genuine cricket shots that he played, it wasn't tulla bazi.

I don't think saim will ever be able to get close to that, at best he'll become an aggressive opener for Pakistan basically an aggressive bat with a 90 sr in odi and an avg of 38-42.

At worst he'll be found out and will be discarded.

Don't think he'll have any memorable innings, I don't he atg In him.

I hope UK proves it though, but I can't judge until he plays international, but so far he seems to have more promise then saim.
Better than David Warner :afridi

Jokes aside I don't think saim is a once in a generational talent.

For me that was fakhar who pcb wasted, Fakhar is once in a generation because he's the first opener since saeed Anwar capable of these monster scores such as 200, 193, 180, ct final 100, 100 of 60.

This is why I get Mad when people say he deserved to be dropped, the focus needs to be to fix fakhar and find out why he's a tail ender on most days, Those 180 scores aren't flukes, their genuine cricket shots that he played, it wasn't tulla bazi.

I don't think saim will ever be able to get close to that, at best he'll become an aggressive opener for Pakistan basically an aggressive bat with a 90 sr in odi and an avg of 38-42.

At worst he'll be found out and will be discarded.

Don't think he'll have any memorable innings, I don't he atg In him.

I hope UK proves it though, but I can't judge until he plays international, but so far he seems to have more promise then saim.
I don’t think Saim is a once in a generational talent. There’s only a few of those kinds of players like ABD, Viv Richard’s, etc. Those guys are the definition of built different.

The thing about Saim though is that he’s very young and has already put in some hard work in domestic cricket, List A, and FC and has a very solid record. He has all the modern type of shots and confidence you don’t usually see from Pakistani batsmen. He also has dominated in multiple T20 leagues.

Even in the Australia series, he played one match and didn’t perform well, but his technique and timing looked solid. Did you see the clip of Michael Vaughn and Gilchrist saying they think Saim could be the next big thing and they were going to get behind him?

I have no clue what he will end up becoming and how he will perform, but he has as much talent as any Pakistani batsmen in recent times.
I hope Usman Khan proves it as well, he has an incredible story and he backed himself to come back to play for his country. It’s impossible to not root for him and if he performs he could cement a spot in our T20 team.

Although, he’s already 28 and barely has any FC or List A experience. In the 2 FC matches he did play he didn’t perform and his technique is incredibly suspect against fast bowling. He’s a big striker of spin though and some technique problems can be masked in T20. If he performs big, maybe he could even find an opportunity in the ODI team. However, with his technique he would be badly found out in Test cricket.

I don’t think Saim is a once in a generational talent. There’s only a few of those kinds of players like ABD, Viv Richard’s, etc. Those guys are the definition of built different.

The thing about Saim though is that he’s very young and has already put in some hard work in domestic cricket, List A, and FC and has a very solid record. He has all the modern type of shots and confidence you don’t usually see from Pakistani batsmen. He also has dominated in multiple T20 leagues.

Even in the Australia series, he played one match and didn’t perform well, but his technique and timing looked solid. Did you see the clip of Michael Vaughn and Gilchrist saying they think Saim could be the next big thing and they were going to get behind him?

I have no clue what he will end up becoming and how he will perform, but he has as much talent as any Pakistani batsmen in recent times.

I hope Usman Khan proves it as well, he has an incredible story and he backed himself to come back to play for his country. It’s impossible to not root for him and if he performs he could cement a spot in our T20 team.

Although, he’s already 28 and barely has any FC or List A experience. In the 2 FC matches he did play he didn’t perform and his technique is incredibly suspect against fast bowling. He’s a big striker of spin though and some technique problems can be masked in T20. If he performs big, maybe he could even find an opportunity in the ODI team. However, with his technique he would be badly found out in Test cricket.
We'll see, Saim has age in his corner, that's the benefit.

I'm actually suprised no one talked about irfan Khan niazi, I'm curious to see him play as well.

He's the forgotten or overlooked member in the squad atm.
I don't think he'll stick around for long. He looks decent at best but if he is to play in lower middle order he needs power. Which he didn't showed in the PSL.

So azam khan is out of this game. I guess Irfan might find himself in the playing 11 today.
Or they might go;

1. Saim
2. Babar
3. Rizwan
4. Fakhar / Usman
5. Iftikhar
6. Shadab
7. Imad
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem
10. Amir
11. Abbas

Or they might go;

1. Saim
2. Babar
3. Rizwan
4. Fakhar / Usman
5. Iftikhar
6. Shadab
7. Imad
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem
10. Amir
11. Abbas
Good team as well. I think Shaheen should be rested and let irfan play. Let's test him.

If it rains for even 5 minutes, the match will be abandoned because it is in Rawalpindi. I get afraid sometimes when I see dogs near the stadium because if they penetrate the pitch and urinate, the match would be canceled owing to wet ground. Rawalpindi must be the worst stadium ever. They can't even start the match on time during the winter if it rains for three days, and after that, when it is clear for the next three days, they still won't be able to start the match. They have very inadequate ground covers and drying machines.

People talking so much about the wet outfields and poor methods of drainage at the grounds and ways to get the match started, all i can think of is the lankan ground staff and their methods. Why cant all adapt to that method

still england and ireland series left. Not sure if he is completely out of this series yet.

No. If he's out of this series , he's out.

Provisional squad has to be selected immediately after this series.

And final squad by May 25th. Pakistan would have only played 1 T20 against England by then.

Don't think Ireland series will be considered as they're a minnow.

If Pakistan's full strength team can't beat New Zealand's bench strength at home, trust me, there is no point in having positive hope for Pakistan in the upcoming World Cup.

I won't be happy if babar and rizwan opens the batting and plays full 15 overs stat padding vs newzealand club level team

This is the series to give the younger ones opportunity and find an opening pair who can score 50+ in the first 6 overs

Saim ayub/fakhar
Saim ayub/usman

Babar needs to come 3 down or fakhar/usman
If we lose an early wicket

Rizwan and babar should not be on the field in the first 6 overs when the field is pushed in

Does anyone know who is broadcasting these matches in the US? Is it willow or espn?

I can't find the info so far...

If it rains for even 5 minutes, the match will be abandoned because it is in Rawalpindi. I get afraid sometimes when I see dogs near the stadium because if they penetrate the pitch and urinate, the match would be canceled owing to wet ground. Rawalpindi must be the worst stadium ever. They can't even start the match on time during the winter if it rains for three days, and after that, when it is clear for the next three days, they still won't be able to start the match. They have very inadequate ground covers and drying machines.
This is why i prefer having matches in Karachi over Pindi. I am watching from home and I dont care about empty stadiums. Just give me the full match.

Or they might go;

1. Saim
2. Babar
3. Rizwan
4. Fakhar / Usman
5. Iftikhar
6. Shadab
7. Imad
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem
10. Amir
11. Abbas
I hope Babar doesn't open the innings. Rizwan isnt suitable to bat at 3, he's doing better than Babar as an opener anyway. Babar should stop being selfish for once.

I hope Babar doesn't open the innings. Rizwan isnt suitable to bat at 3, he's doing better than Babar as an opener anyway. Babar should stop being selfish for once.
I think the same. Babar is unironically our best no. 3 in this format. He showed that also in the last series. But given how much Babar loves opening. I won't be surprised if he is back to opening.

If he opens his strike rate should be minimum 200 in first 6 overs than I have no problem having him as our opener. If not, than go for anyone I don't care.

It's heavily raining in Islamabad and Rawalpindi, so I think the match will not happen due to wet outfield.

This is why i prefer having matches in Karachi over Pindi. I am watching from home and I dont care about empty stadiums. Just give me the full match.
Exactly but tbh I don't like empty grounds but if I have choice in between these two grounds i would go for Karachi.

Well,

There goes one of the matches to experiment in.

I don't think he'll stick around for long. He looks decent at best but if he is to play in lower middle order he needs power. Which he didn't showed in the PSL.
he has ok power. Seems to have a really low backlift and can get some good hand speed. He does not seem as gifted as someone like Azam but maybe he can improve his game. Seems a dedicated and intelligent batter.

Guys, the rain has stopped in Rawalpindi. I hope we can see some result tonight, but I guess the wet outfield will be a hindrance

Give Chacha some towels and tell him to go around the stadium and dry the seats. Make him useful for international cricket

What's the latest any Pakistan game is a treat to watch and that too T20 which is always exciting

forecast ? btw Hosts are overwhelming fave looking at the depleted Kiwi squad !

Really excited to see amir's comeback and pace trio of naseem, shaheen and amir for the first time

Exams are temporary. Cricket is eternal.

I once snuck out of my boarding school at night before an exam to watch a match in a highway petrol station.

Headmaster was flabbergasted when someone snitched on me.

:sa

Bad News:

Covers are back on and umpires Aleem Dar and Ahsan Raza are out in the field for an inspection. The drizzle forces delay in toss

No rain to little rain is expected between now and until midnight. After midnight heavy rain is expected to be back.

Exams are temporary. Cricket is eternal.

I once snuck out of my boarding school at night before an exam to watch a match in a highway petrol station.

Headmaster was flabbergasted when someone snitched on me.

:sa
I'm in masters so no, sorry my degree is valuable but tbf I tried and was unable to sleep so might watch a few overs.

Edit: Nvm game will be washed out

Most likely the will be abandoned!! Why arrange series in rainy season?

This is the reason cricket will never grow and alpha gen will mostly likely ignore cricket. I mean why are they waiting for rain to stop so that they can go for a toss, why don't they do it inside the room somewhere with camera's on?

Back