[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Jos Buttler appointed captain of the England Men's white-ball teams

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Lancashire's Jos Buttler has been appointed captain of the England Men's white-ball teams by the England & Wales Cricket Board.

He succeeds Eoin Morgan, who retired from international cricket earlier this week. The ECB Interim Chair, Martin Darlow, and Interim Chief Executive Officer, Clare Connor, approved the appointment on Wednesday evening following the recommendation by the Managing Director of England Men's Cricket, Rob Key.

Buttler has been part of England's white-ball teams for over a decade. He played his first T2OI game in 2011 and made his ODI debut a year later. The wicketkeeper/batter has been an integral part of the set-up, having been vice-captain since 2015 and has led the team 14 times previously (Nine ODIs & five T20Is). He has represented England 151 times in ODIs scoring 4120 runs at an average of 41.20, including 10 hundreds.

In T20 internationals, he has won 88 caps scoring 2140 runs with an average of 34.51.

He is one of three England cricketers (Dawid Malan and Heather Knight) to have scored hundreds in all three formats of the game.

England Men's White-Ball Captain, Jos Buttler, said:

"I would like to offer my sincere thanks and gratitude to Eoin Morgan for his outstanding leadership over the past seven years. It has been the most memorable period for everyone involved. He has been an inspirational leader, and it has been fantastic to play under him. There are lots of things that I have learnt from him that I'll take into this role.

"It is a great honour to take over from Eoin, and the place he has left English white-ball cricket in is exciting, and I'm inspired for the challenges ahead.

"There is excellent strength-in-depth in the white-ball squads, and I'm looking forward to leading the teams out for the series that are coming up against India starting next week and later in July against South Africa.

"It is the greatest honour to captain your country, and when I have had the chance to step in the past, I have loved doing it. I can't wait to take this team forward."

Clare Connor, Interim ECB Chief Executive Officer, said:

"Jos is a fantastic role model who inspires through his performances on the pitch. He has been instrumental in setting new standards in men's white-ball cricket, and is the perfect leader to build on the incredible legacy which Eoin has built for our men's white-ball teams.

"I'm excited to see where Jos and Matthew Mott take things from here, particularly as we build towards the ICC Men's T20 World Cup."

Rob Key, Managing Director of England Men's Cricket, said:

"Jos Buttler was the perfect choice to succeed Eoin Morgan as our white-ball captain, and I had no hesitation in offering him the role.

"Jos has been part of our white-ball set-up for over a decade and was integral in the transformation of the way the team has played its attacking brand of cricket over the past seven years.

"He is well respected in the dressing room by all of his teammates and will relish leading his country.

"He is in the form of his life and is showcasing his talent against the best players and teams in the world.

"I believe the extra responsibility will take his game to a new level and inspire those around him.

"I'm looking forward to seeing him take us forward. He thoroughly deserves the opportunity."

The England Men's selection panel will announce the squads for the Vitality IT20s and Royal London ODIs against India on Friday lunchtime.

Moeen Ali would have been much better choice than him,but i think Jos butler should do fine as he is getting a world class team whoever lead this team will get the good result.

Moeen Ali would have been much better choice than him,but i think Jos butler should do fine as he is getting a world class team whoever lead this team will get the good result.

Moeen's place in the ODI team at full strength is highly debatable. A 35 year old who's own place in the side is questionable isn't a particularly good candidate.

He deserves it. He is England's best LOI batsman ever so deserves a chance to lead his team in the mentioned format.

Obvious choice but Moeen Ali is not a bad shout either. Especially in a caretaker capacity.

Good choice of skipper, Auto-pick in team and seems to do well under pressure.

As expected. He did well as a leader in Bangladesh series when Morgan refused to tour at that time.

This pretty much seals buttler's test career as well which is already on ventilator right now. Morgan did same with his test career so hopefully this will bring greater heights to buttler's already special white ball career.

Now the question is whether he should bat at no.5 or stick to current no.6 role. I think he should stick to no.6 role and give no.5 to Livingstone/billings/brooks.

Sensible decision, will probably be a seamless transition with more of the same ultra aggresive style i suspect.

Expected appointment. With Stokes starting his captaincy appointments the way he did, leadership group of England is looking good.

Obvious choice but Moeen Ali is not a bad shout either. Especially in a caretaker capacity.

:)))

Yes. Let’s make the mental midget captain who was single-handedly derailing England’s World Cup campaign in 2019 and had to be kicked out of the lineup for England to get things back on track.

:)))

Yes. Let’s make the mental midget captain who was single-handedly derailing England’s World Cup campaign in 2019 and had to be kicked out of the lineup for England to get things back on track.

Making him T20I captain would be alright atleast for the short term. He has been fairly good with both bat and ball.

But he's been a terrible ODI player for 5 years and I'm not sure England want to split the white ball captaincy. Also he is 35 so he doesnt have much time left.

Making him T20I captain would be alright atleast for the short term. He has been fairly good with both bat and ball.

But he's been a terrible ODI player for 5 years and I'm not sure England want to split the white ball captaincy. Also he is 35 so he doesnt have much time left.

England’s both white ball teams are identical in terms of personnel and strategy. They play ODIs like an extent T20. It doesn’t make any sense to have separate captains.

However, I do get the general point that you are making. Moeen has been less rubbish in T20s but you cannot have a mentally weak and mediocre player like him lead the side.

England’s both white ball teams are identical in terms of personnel and strategy. They play ODIs like an extent T20. It doesn’t make any sense to have separate captains.

However, I do get the general point that you are making. Moeen has been less rubbish in T20s but you cannot have a mentally weak and mediocre player like him lead the side.

Moeen Bhai has improved post his stint with MS Dhoni and CSK via IPL. He has become a sort of match winner which he wasn't earlier.

Absolutely thrilled for Joss. Outstanding white ball player and deserves his chance. Also he's fortunate to have someone of Moeens calibre who he can rely on when the going gets tough.

England’s incoming white-ball captain Jos Buttler says he is ‘not afraid to lose games’ as he sets out to continue the adventurous style of play championed by predecessor Eoin Morgan.

Buttler will launch his reign as limited-overs skipper next week when England begin a three-match T20I series against India, live on Sky Sports Cricket.

Morgan transformed England's white-ball fortunes during a seven-year stint in charge that included a first-ever 50-over World Cup triumph in 2019 - and Buttler is determined to build on that legacy.

"Where the group's at, it's in a really healthy place and there's a lot of strength in depth in white-ball cricket around the country," the new captain told Sky Sports.

Jos Buttler says he had no hesitation in agreeing take over from Eoin Morgan as England's white-ball captain.

"It's a nice place to come in and try not to change too much, but you've got to continue that upward curve, that's the challenge.

"Eoin was always big on setting no boundaries, try to keep pushing the limits and see how else we can improve. There's certainly areas where we still can and we must have a lot of energy directed towards that.

"I'm not afraid to lose games. I think it's important we expose players and give them the opportunity to put their best foot forward.

"The style is the really important thing I want us to continue to play and trust that and along the way, if we lose games, I'd rather fall on the positive side than the cautious side."

The 31-year-old, who has previously led the white-ball team in Morgan's absence, admits he had not anticipated the permanent captaincy becoming available until at least after the T20 World Cup, which takes place in Australia later this year.

However, Morgan opted to announce his retirement from international cricket following the recent ODI series in the Netherlands and Buttler - who plans to continue his dual role as opener and wicketkeeper in the shortest format - will have no hesitation in drawing on his predecessor's experience.

"I can't be Morgs, I've got to be myself but I don't have any ego in going to him and asking questions," said Buttler. "I hope there's a role for him in English cricket because you can't waste great minds like that.

"There's a bit of sadness that he's decided to call time but I'm excited at the challenge of taking it on as captain. Initially I thought he'd get to the T20 World Cup, I thought that's what he was working towards but he felt the time came in Amsterdam.

Jonathan Trott praised Eoin Morgan for helping to transform English white-ball cricket and credits his former captain for inspiring a generation of cricketers.

"People ran through brick walls for him and the legacy he'll leave behind is quite incredible. Whether we won or lost he was very firm on the way he wanted us to play and he led from the front.

"He asked people to play in a certain way and he would walk out, third ball running down the wicket and try and hit it over long-on for six.

"As a player you watch your captain do that and say 'let's tuck in behind him and follow that lead' and he was unwavering, he was always of the belief we'd win more games than we'd lose in that fashion."

Skycricket

England 'won't panic' despite heavy defeat in first India ODI, says captain Jos Buttler

"We came third in a two-horse race."

England's world champion 50-over side is not used to days like this.

Before play if you scanned down the teamsheet and saw Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow, Joe Root, Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler's names there, you could not help but reminisce about the last time those five played together in a one-day international - the 2019 World Cup final.

But on a sweltering Tuesday at The Oval, that batting line-up of World Cup heroes crumpled and England were thrashed by 10 wickets by India.

Never before had they lost by such a margin at home.

Not since 2011, when England were playing VHS cricket in a DVD age, have they lost by 10 wickets anywhere in the world.

"It's a very tough day," captain Buttler said. "We came third in a two-horse race.

"It's tough to take."

England hammered by 10 wickets in first ODI
Watch all the clips as England are outclassed by India
Over the past seven years in white-ball cricket, batting, as Buttler put it, has been England's "super strength".

Pushed out with Eoin Morgan's instructions to attack still ringing in their ears, they broke the world record ODI score three times, including against the Netherlands three weeks ago.

This time, faced with a lively pitch and a modern great in Jasprit Bumrah, their eagerness to attack proved their downfall.

Opener Roy, whose form is such he is making batting look as complicated as splitting the atom, tried to drive a wide ball and chopped onto his stumps.

Root and Bairstow, eager to get bat to ball, nicked catches through to the wicketkeeper.

Still on nought, Liam Livingstone wandered in the direction of Wimbledon, exposed his stumps and was bowled around his legs.

Even Buttler was caught top-edging to deep square leg.

When rare batting failures occurred during the Morgan era, the Dublin-born skipper was steadfast in sticking to the aggressive message.

Buttler, though, who replaced the now-retired Morgan last month, struck a different tone.

"As a team we talk about being positive and proactive but did the conditions really allow us to counter-attack today?" Buttler said.

"I don't really think they did. So can you sit in and absorb pressure and come through it and bat ugly and come out the other end?

"Maybe we need to add that side, but I'm certainly open to both ways of doing it."

Is this the first example of, to tweak English cricket's favourite phrase at the moment, ButtlerBall?

White-ball cricket is long behind James Anderson, England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker, who watched the game from the commentary box.

"England do have quite a few players - particularly in the top order - who haven't played much white-ball cricket and certainly not together since the World Cup in 2019," he said.

"That could be part of the reason.

"They will just have to figure out if it was the toss, the Indian bowlers or whether they could have done a bit more in the first 10 overs, which pretty much won the game.

"You never know but 250 could perhaps have been a challenge on that wicket."

Much like his predecessor, Buttler was still keen to stress there is "no need to panic" before the second match at Lord's on Thursday.

"India bowled fantastically well and we didn't manage to deal with that as well as we'd have liked," he said.

"You look at the names of the guys in there, they are some of the best players we've had.

"So [there is] certainly no need to panic at all. There's not much time to dwell on it either so it will be a positive to get back out there and put things right on Thursday."

What better place for England's top five to regain their touch than at the ground of the team's greatest moment?

BBC

Not a good start to Butler's captaincy.

I think Stokes should be captain in all 3 formats.

Not a good start to Butler's captaincy.

I think Stokes should be captain in all 3 formats.

That’s a knee jerk post.

Plus Stokes not even in the T20 squad and has enough on his plate with red ball cricket.

Eoin Morgan has backed his successor as white-ball captain, Jos Buttler, to deliver a strong message to his England team after they suffered a 10-wicket hammering by India in the first one-day international of their three-match series.

Buttler's side were bowled out for 110 in just 25.2 overs at The Kia Oval on Tuesday - Jasprit Bumrah (6-19) claiming record figures for a bowler against England - with Rohit Sharma then smashing an unbeaten 78 from 56 balls to see India to an emphatic win.

It makes it three defeats in four for Buttler as permanent captain after England lost the preceding T20 international series 2-1, but Morgan has backed him to stay strong in his messaging, saying from experience that this is the time to lead.

"I know what this feels like," Morgan told Sky Sports. "It's not nice - you focus inwards, not outwards.

"But, having had the experience both playing and leading previously that Jos has had, he will see this as an opportunity in that changing room to reiterate a very clear and strong message about where they are going and what they're doing.

"People will be in that changing room wanting to flinch and wanting an out, but that is the time to lead.

"You can give the best possible message to somebody, and if they're not listening it doesn't go anywhere. But I can guarantee you that when you lose, everybody in the changing room listens.

"A clear-cut message from your leader at times like this, and for your senior players to embody it, is crucial."

Morgan recalled occasions in his captaincy when, after similarly poor performances with the bat, he stuck to his guns on the approach he wanted his side to take.

Against South Africa in an ODI at Lord's in 2017, England were 20-6 before recovering somewhat to score 153 in a seven-wicket defeat, while at Adelaide in early 2018, Australia reduced Morgan's side to 8-5 before they ultimately posted 196 in a three-wicket loss.

"There were a couple of times early on in my captaincy, and continued questions throughout," Morgan added.

"I look back at Lord's, I think, against South Africa, and Adelaide where we were 8-5.

"Those are key moments where people are waiting to go 'let's be smarter, let's pull back in a bit'. That's not where Jos Buttler and his England team want to be.

"They want to be at the forefront of performance, winning World Cups and considered to be the best side in the world. And I think that's what he will be saying to his side."

Buttler, speaking to reporters after his side's heavy defeat, insisted that their batting remains their "super strength" and would not be derailed.

"You certainly don't want days like this to come," Buttler said. "They have come few and far between so it's tough to take.

"It's certainly key not to panic, not to look too much into it and find too many faults. India bowled fantastically well and we didn't manage to deal with it as well as we'd have liked.

"But, if I look back over the past five or six years, batting has been our super strength in this form of the game. You look at the names of the guys in there, they are some of the best players we've had.

"We'll try and learn from it as much as we can but we'll stick to what we know. There's huge trust in that dressing room that there are brilliant players in there.

"We need to be positive, get back out there and put things right when we play on Thursday [in the second ODI at Lord's]."

Former England captain, Sky Sports' Nasser Hussain hailed Bumrah and also urged England not to panic following their hammering at The Kia Oval to open the ODI series.

"I don't think you can be overly critical of England's batters. Sometimes you just have to say that it's wonderful bowling.

"It was hard work but it is supposed to be hard work. It is the highest level and is not supposed be a walk in the park for batters all the time.

"Today was a day to be a bowler and England's batters were found wanting - but it is absolutely not the time to panic in any way at all.

"There has been a complete change in management and it will take time for captain Jos Buttler and new coach Matthew Mott to develop their own team and squad. Let's be honest, Eoin Morgan is a very tough act to follow.

"I wouldn't be panicking about the batting line-up. I know that is an odd thing to say after 110 all out but they have a lot of batting that will get them runs in T20s and ODIs, so many options."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...team-after-heavy-defeat-to-india-in-first-odi

Jos was doing a good impression of Safaraz going to the bowler before they bowled a delivery in the last T20 against India:sangry

Good win for Buttler to have under his belt. Good to see no knee jerk reactions.

Buttler: Delighted with the response

England skipper Buttler hailed the turnaround from the defeat at the Oval and was full of praise for bowler Topley as well.

"I'm delighted with the response from the guys. We didn't bat our best, but we still got up to a challenging score and the way we bowled was outstanding.

"[Reece Topley] has been fantastic. He's played really well in the Twenty20s then coming here and bowling like that to take 6-24 at Lord's is a special day.

"Old Trafford is always a special place to go and play, especially with the series at 1-1."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A 22nd ODI fifty! &#55356;&#57295;&#55357;&#56485;<br><br>Scorecard/clips: <a href="https://t.co/2efir2v7RD">https://t.co/2efir2v7RD</a><br><br>&#55356;&#57332;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56418;&#56128;&#56421;&#56128;&#56430;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56447; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvIND?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvIND</a> &#55356;&#56814;&#55356;&#56819; <a href="https://twitter.com/IGcom?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IGcom</a> <a href="https://t.co/57uisuZfJk">pic.twitter.com/57uisuZfJk</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1548648970229993473?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jos Buttler has called for time to develop experience as captain after England lost the deciding match of their one-day international series with India at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Hardik Pandya and Rishabh Pant excelled for India, leading them to a five-wicket win that sealed their overall 2-1 victory in the series.

With India chasing 260, England seamer Reece Topley followed up his 6-24 in the second ODI at Lord's by taking three wickets inside the first nine overs to leave the tourists reeling at 38-3. However, wicketkeeper Buttler was left ruing the missed opportunities that allowed India to take control of the game.

Buttler's opposite number Pant could have been stumped by Buttler off the bowling of Moeen Ali when he was only on 18 runs, and he went on to make England pay, finishing 125 not out to lead his team to victory.

Buttler, who was England's top-scorer with 60 off 80 balls as they were bowled out for 259, said: "If you give good players a chance they'll probably hurt you.

"We probably had half a chance, maybe, with Hardik Pandya down to the fine leg as well and if we took those chances we'd probably have had quite a good hold in the game with quite a long tail for India. But [with] the score we put up, we were going to have to take all our chances to have a chance of winning.

"It was fantastic to get those early wickets and we created two chances for the guys who really took the game away from us, so I think that's where we lost the game."

"I think we were trying to search for ways to create wickets. I think it's been a pretty tough schedule as well - I think Reece is just creaking a little bit, so I think we might have to look after him as we probably will all our players," Buttler said.

"He [Topley] has been brilliant. He's got his opportunity, he obviously put in a man-of-the-match performance in the T20 in Trent Bridge as well, so delighted to see him doing so well."

England were unable to bat out their 50 overs in all three of their ODIs against India, which was Buttler's first series as captain since predecessor Eoin Morgan retired from international cricket.

Buttler said: "We just haven't batted our best [in the summer so far]. We just have to play better for longer.

"I missed a chance today but I don't think that's got anything to do with captaincy. I'm an experienced cricketer but I'm a young captain, so I think it's [about] not worrying too much about it. I've got lots to learn, lots to try and work out.

"I need time and experience to do that."

SKY

Not a good time to be the ODI captain. The England team seems to be heading towards a transition, they have lost the spark they had from 2015-2019.

The next World Cup could prove to be a disastrous one for England. No longer one of the favorites.

With Morgan and Stokes both retiring, Jason Roy struggling with form, and less experienced bowlers in the first XI amidst a fast bowling injury crisis, this is a bit of a transitional period for the England ODI side.

Jos has had a tough start with a brace of 1-2 defeats (against arguably the world’s best white ball side I would add), but he has earned some time and faith in this format. He is learning & he will get better.

Remember that Morgan captained England through some truly shocking results at first, including every other side apart from the associates trouncing them at the 2015 World Cup leading to a group stage exit.

Such a tough start for for Jos. Top level sport is a brutal arena. Poor guy can’t catch a break it seems.

India are a world class team so a brace of 2-1 defeats is not alarm bells, but if we lose both the ODI and T20 series against South Africa as well (all at home) I would say that is then beginning to get a bit concerning…

Not everyone is Morgan. You shouldn’t stick by everyone just for the sake of it.

Butler should never have been captain. Fix the mistake and give it to the right man for the job - Moeen Ali. He just will give England a good few years as captain and Butler can play without the pressure.

England fans currently in meltdown mode on social media. Sack the players, the team, the coach, the captain, the staff, the team cook, etc.

Not everyone is Morgan. You shouldn’t stick by everyone just for the sake of it.

Butler should never have been captain. Fix the mistake and give it to the right man for the job - Moeen Ali. He just will give England a good few years as captain and Butler can play without the pressure.

that will never happen..english cricket is a racist cesspit and will never do that..

that will never happen..english cricket is a racist cesspit and will never do that..

Then it’s their loss.

A captain makes all the difference in cricket. England always had the firepower but it was Morgan that took them to new heights.

Mooen is not as good as Morgan but he’s the best option for England in white ball cricket for the next 3 years.

Team is in mini rebuilding phase right now in absence of first choice pace attack and retirement of two seniors.

Buttler is most deserving guy to lead the team and I think England will eventually deliver under his Captainship.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🧤 ⚡ <a href="https://twitter.com/josbuttler?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@josbuttler</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@englandcricket</a> are on fire <a href="https://twitter.com/EmiratesOT?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@EmiratesOT</a>! 🔥<br><br>🌹 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedRoseTogether?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RedRoseTogether</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvSA?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvSA</a> <a href="https://t.co/WNiChPRbA5">pic.twitter.com/WNiChPRbA5</a></p>— Lancashire Cricket (@lancscricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/lancscricket/status/1550556490410377217?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jos getting a confidence boosting win for himself!

Needs to be persisted with although it’s a punt to have appointed him with two big tournies so close, Mo would have been a better choice but this is still not bad, as Butler is the long term choice

Really pleased for him, the team is in transition with retirements and also some of his better players have dropped out of form at the worst possible moment- as the new captain he’s got a lot to live up to with Morgan’s legacy but he’s had a really tough start and been under the microscope. Was nice to see him get the run out yesterday, skippering his team confidently in the field, and just smiling a bit!

Important day for Captain Buttler tomorrow. Could register his first series win.

Buttler got lucky. SA were on course to win the ODI series, rain saved Buttler, rather, prolonged Buttler's ineptness as captain.

England captain, Jos Buttler: "We have to be realistic with where we are as a team in the ODI format. It is about building towards that World Cup in India [in 2023]. What will we need in the conditions out in India?

"We have had a bit of change in the recent past [with Ben Stokes and Eoin Morgan retiring] so it's about drawing a line in the sand, looking forward to that next World Cup and getting a team to try and win it.

"When you lose a genuine all-rounder in Ben you are going to feel short in either batting or bowling. Now we have time to work out which way we want to go and give guys an opportunity to stake a claim for that place."

The English batting order and composition looks so haphazardly thrown together.

Livingstone batting at 7, Salt at 3, Root at 4.

On top of that, you have a bits and pieces guy like Craig Overton who isn't really good at either batting or bowling occupying a spot. Tom Curran, Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Sam Curran, Jamie Overton, Saqib Mahmood, Willey are all better than him.

On top of that, you have a bits and pieces guy like Craig Overton who isn't really good at either batting or bowling occupying a spot. Tom Curran, Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Sam Curran, Jamie Overton, Saqib Mahmood, Willey are all better than him.

Craig Overton isn’t in the team at the moment.
Jordan is a T20 specialist.
Woakes and Mahmood are long term injured.
Sam Curran and Willey are both in the team.

The bowling resources are the back up options right now, with that in mind they have been ok

The bowling resources are the back up options right now, with that in mind they have been ok

Yes, I think England’s white ball setup is in transition atm. Will still win some games/series but not the dominant peak team of 2016-19

He played the 1st ODI and the last series against Ind I think.

The English batting order and composition looks so haphazardly thrown together.

Livingstone batting at 7, Salt at 3, Root at 4.

Root should be #3 and I would put Livingstone at #4 for maximum damage potential.

Root should be #3 and I would put Livingstone at #4 for maximum damage potential.
Livingstone at no.4 would be big gamble. If Livingstone is in the ODI playing 11 He should not bat above no.6.

If they want to keep Livingstone in playing 11 then one of buttler or moeen must bat at no.4.

Imo England shouldn't get obsessed with Livingstone in ODI cricket. At his best he is competing with moeen in the playing 11 as a lower order hitter who can bowl decent spin.

One of Harry brook /duckett /vince/billings should be picked as no.4 now with keeping 2023 worldcup in mind.

Jos Buttler says he is confident that senior England players will step up as the ODI team look to cover for the loss of Ben Stokes following his retirement from the 50-over game.

Buttler is still waiting for his first series victory as permanent white-ball captain after rain wrecked the series-deciding third one-day international against South Africa at Headingley on Sunday.

Buttler replaced Eoin Morgan as captain after he retired from international cricket in June, while the 50-over team was dealt a further blow with Stokes' decision to quit ODI cricket after the series opener in Durham.

England lost Stokes' final game by 62 runs, but levelled the series with victory in another rain-affected clash in Manchester on Friday, before only 27.4 overs were possible in Leeds.

Asked how the team intend to cover for the loss of Stokes, Buttler told Sky Sports: "We have to be realistic with where we are as a team in the ODI format. It is about building towards that World Cup in India [in 2023]. What will we need in the conditions out in India?

"We have had a bit of change in the recent past, but we've also got a lot of very experienced players as well, who are natural leaders in the team anyway.

Nick Knight, Mark Butcher and Shaun Pollock discuss how England replace the gap left by Ben Stokes' retirement from ODI cricket.
"It's about drawing a line in the sand, looking forward to that next World Cup and building a team to try and win it.

"When you lose a genuine all-rounder in Ben you are probably always going to feel short in either batting or bowling.

"Now we have time to work out which way we want to go and give guys an opportunity to stake a claim for that place."

"Reece has been the obvious one who has been outstanding. It is great to see him take all those wickets. He has got all of the attributes and it’s fantastic to see him fit and playing so well."

'Batters excited for T20 series'

Before the 50-over World Cup in a year's time, Buttler has the even more pressing matter of this year's T20 World Cup in Australia, with the upcoming three-match T20 series with South Africa the first of 13 internationals England will play ahead of the start of the tournament in October.

England and South Africa first clash in Bristol on Wednesday - live on Sky Sports Cricket, 6.30pm - before further games in Cardiff and Southampton on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

"Hopefully they're going to be some great matches," said Buttler.

"Looking at some of the grounds we're playing at, there should be some really high-scoring games as well, which will be exciting.

"I think some of the batters are hoping for some really good wickets, as we've had some challenging white-ball conditions this year, whereas England in recent years has generally been very favourable for batting. That has been a good learning curve.

"With a World Cup just round the corner, we have guys trying to stake a claim for a place in that 11."

'Schedule has been a frustration'

With more games coming thick and fast, Buttler was the latest player to show his frustration with the cricketing schedule, saying it has limited the impact he has been able to make as captain.

"It's tough," Buttler later told reporters. "A lot of the time around training is when you do your best work, away from the pressures of the game, having good conversations and having a feel for where the group is at.

"To get the highest standard of cricket possible, you need to prepare properly. Hopefully that's something we can look at going forward.

"As a new captain, just having that time to bed in and do that work around your players and with your coaches. That's been a frustration to be truthfully honest - it would be nice to have that time to do the work.

"But we don't, so you just have to adapt and find the best way. It's been a good challenge."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...-will-cover-ben-stokes-absence-in-odi-cricket

Yes. Root shouldn't bat lower than 3 in LOIs. Livingstone is best suited to 4 or 5. Salt should either open or bat as a finisher. I would be tempted to give the likes of du Plooy and Harry Brooke a good chance.

England 234-6 at Bristol tonight in the first T20I after being asked to bat first by South Africa.

Probably the first time under Jos Buttler’s full time captaincy that England have finally looked like their old carefree selves and been properly destructive with the bat as a unit.

They still have to try and defend this target on a small ground, but… good for Jos. :)

Excellent bowling change from Buttler.

Brings Ali on — dismisses the set Hendricks.

Jos growing in confidence.

England end the summer without a home white-ball series win. They lost to India in both T20I and ODI cricket, drew a 50-over series with South Africa and have now been done 2-1 by the Proteas in the T20I format after an absolute gubbing in Southampton. There is much to ponder for Jos Buttler and the England thinktank

England have been abysmal this summer. It’s like they have become bored of white ball cricket

Worst thing is that his batting form is slipping. He failed to step-up up this summer time and time again which is a rapid decline since he was on beast mode before he got the captaincy.

Problem is I don't see anyone else in the England limited-overs side better equipped to take over the captaincy.

England last 3 T20I series:

Lost versus South Africa
Lost versus India
Lost versus West Indies

Buttler looks like one of those panic mode captains. Seems to panic a bit too much and too often.

As soon as Butler was announced captain I knew it would be a disaster.

He is mentally very weak to be a captain. Give Moeen the captaincy and let Butler do what he does best, smack the ball

Oh dear. He’s under pressure and has a lot of work to do doesn’t he.

So does Matthew Mott. Though at least we can see that Jos Buttler is trying. He is failing, but trying hard.

What is Mott doing exactly? Who knows.

Jos Buttler says England hit with 'reality check' after failing to win home white-ball series this summer
Jos Buttler on England's hammering by South Africa in T20I decider: "We do need an honest chat. You don't want to overreact to situations but you could sense the frustration around the ground with the 'get on with it, England' chants. You don't want to be associated with that"

Jos Buttler says England have received a "reality check" after failing to win a home white-ball series this summer, with the skipper urging his players not to dwell on their past successes.

England produced a listless batting display as they were demolished for 101 in Sunday's T20I decider against South Africa in Southampton, with a 2-1 defeat to the Proteas following a drawn ODI series against the same opposition and 2-1 reverses to India in 20-over and 50-over cricket.

Buttler - who took over from 2019 50-over World Cup-winning captain Eoin Morgan in late June - said: "I think it is a reality check.

"We haven't played our best cricket by a long stretch and I don't think we have been able to impose ourselves.

"We can't live in the past and pat ourselves on the backs for the changes that have been made in English cricket and the successes we have had.

"It's about looking forward, trying to chase the best teams in the world and being at the forefront of that.

Buttler: We fell short with the way we played
Buttler added after England's 90-run defeat at The Ageas Bowl: "We do need an honest chat.

"You don't want to overreact to situations but you could sense the frustration around the ground with the 'get on with it, England' chants.

"You don't want to be associated with that. It is the first time I have heard that for a very long time, so that frustration around the group shows we weren't managing to put on the show we want to put on.

"You can cope with losing but you want to make sure you stay true to what you believe in and I think we fell well short with the way we played.

"The disappointing thing was the way we went down. We lacked intent and confidence and didn't put the opposition under pressure. We never managed to fire shots and wrestle the initiative.

"I think that bit of timidness is probably the thing we are frustrated with most. We want to be a team that wants to be brave and take risks.

"We have to work out where that lack of consistency comes from. Whether it's over-confidence or lack of confidence, we have not been able to back up performances. As individuals and as a team we have not played our best.

"The first place I would look is myself. I want to lead from the front as captain and I know I haven't performed at the level I would like to."

England have 10 more T20 internationals before their World Cup opener against Afghanistan in Perth on October 22, with seven games in Pakistan from mid-September and then three in Australia.

'England looked tentative' I Mott: This is a line in the sand
When asked by Sky Sports Cricket's Ian Ward whether he would call England's batting effort against South Africa at The Ageas Bowl 'timid', former skipper Morgan said: "I would. England's strength is their aggressive batting but they looked tentative in this game.

"In previous years, England would have played a lot more shots earlier as opposed to giving it more thought, more calculation.

"You get closer to losing the game than moving it on. [Former England head coach] Trevor Bayliss always used to talk about stamping your authority but we didn't see that from England at all.

"I can't put my finger on it because the personnel hasn't changed that much, other than me retiring and Ben Stokes not being in this squad, and the batters, right down to No 8, are very aggressive."

England white-ball coach Matthew Mott said the thrashing by South Africa is a "line in the sand moment" adding: "We were down on confidence with bat and ball.

Sky Sports

Losing isn’t always a bad thing.

If England learn from the debacle of this season, make some changes to the lineup, gradually come into some better form & then deliver a decent World Cup, these bilateral failures will all be forgotten.

What wouldn’t be acceptable however is just doing the same things again and hoping they start to work all of a sudden.

Clearly England’s tried and tested formula has now been a bit “found out” by the better white ball sides and they need to alter a few things: nothing dramatic needs to be done, but there are definitely some tweaks to make which will take some of the pressure off Jos as a batter and captain:-

• Jason Roy to be dropped for Phil Salt.
• Replace Sam Curran with Ben Stokes.
• Formally name Moeen Ali as vice-captain and involve him more in decision making.

Would be a good start.

The fixture list is also a mess and the ECB needs to look at this for next summer.

• Jason Roy to be dropped for Phil Salt.
• Replace Sam Curran with Ben Stokes.
• Formally name Moeen Ali as vice-captain and involve him more in decision making.

Would be a good start.

The fixture list is also a mess and the ECB needs to look at this for next summer.

I would give keeping duty to Billings. Buttler can direct proceedings from cover.

It doesn't help that several first-choice bowlers are crocked.

Jos Butler has been in decline since the 2019 WC.

Just take a look at his ODI stats post 2019 WC win.

ODI

2019 : AVG 47.64 / SR 135.56 [WC year]
2020 : AVG 4.00 / SR 38.70
2021 : AVG 5.66 / SR 68.00
2022 : AVG 74.60 / SR 128.62 - [162* vs NL!]

JB is clearly not interested in ODIs since winning the WC, and the 162* vs NL, was clearly associate level feasting.

I have not checked his T20i stats, but I feel he just wants to play T20s now.

JB is simply not captain material.

Moeen Ali is an obvious choice for captaincy.
Butler is just not good enough even his batting is struggling now due to captaincy.

If England wants to have any chance in Australia this year they should definitely hand over the captaincy to moeen Ali

Jos Butler has been in decline since the 2019 WC.

Just take a look at his ODI stats post 2019 WC win.

ODI

2019 : AVG 47.64 / SR 135.56 [WC year]
2020 : AVG 4.00 / SR 38.70
2021 : AVG 5.66 / SR 68.00
2022 : AVG 74.60 / SR 128.62 - [162* vs NL!]

JB is clearly not interested in ODIs since winning the WC, and the 162* vs NL, was clearly associate level feasting.

I have not checked his T20i stats, but I feel he just wants to play T20s now.

JB is simply not captain material.

Lol. He has played grand total of just 13 innings post 2019 wc. That's too small sample size to conclude that he is not interested in odis.

Jos buttler's odi batting impact >>>>> his t20 batting impact.

It's too early to predict that he is not captain material.

Lol. He has played grand total of just 13 innings post 2019 wc. That's too small sample size to conclude that he is not interested in odis.

Jos buttler's odi batting impact >>>>> his t20 batting impact.

It's too early to predict that he is not captain material.

AVG of about 5 in 13 ODI innings is absolutely shocking for a batsman, even a tailender.

Need to have patience. It's too early to predict about current England team and buttler's captaincy.

I think upcoming t20wc and 2023 wc will define buttler's leadership.

First choice bowlers are missing and their Strength "batting" has been on and off in last couple of series.

His own form is bad barring series against Netherlands.

I think both buttler and his team will peak at the right time.

AVG of about 5 in 13 ODI innings is absolutely shocking for a batsman, even a tailender.

Check your numbers.

He is Averaging 14 in last 11 innings excluding Netherland series.

If we dig deep into stats then only Series played in 2022 shows his current form as series played in 2020 and 2021 had 6 months gap between them and more than 1 year gap between series of 2022 and 2021.

So he hardly played any odi cricket in 2020 and 2021.

Moeen Ali is an obvious choice for captaincy.
Butler is just not good enough even his batting is struggling now due to captaincy.

If England wants to have any chance in Australia this year they should definitely hand over the captaincy to moeen Ali

I was surprised that they opted for Buttler over Moeen.

A decision that looks like it may backfire.

Michael Atherton told Sky Sports: "[Buttler] made it clear before this series that he wanted to be out there. We don't expect him to play much part in it, if any part of it at all, but he said 'I want to be here' so close to the World T20 in Australia. This is the time you want to get your plans in place.

"You want to get to know the new players in the side like Will Jacks and Luke Wood - all these guys you don't know as characters so well and you don't know how they play under pressure.

"You get to know and feel when you see players close-up in the dressing room before 25-30,000 people who all want the other side to win and you get a sense of how players deal under pressure, so that's what Jos Buttler will gain from this series."

"With regard to Jos, he's still a while off, he's not a player we want to take a risk on at this stage, so close to the World Cup, and it was a reasonably significant injury that he had," Mott said at the press conference following Pakistan's series-levelling victory in the fourth T20I.

would be epic if the series is tied 3 all and Buttler jumps in to play the decider and lose it :))

Mo has a natural flair for leadership and is experienced, the players want to play for him and look up to him in the dressing room. There are so many new players who are already compatible with him as the guy to go to and it will be a bit awkward and disrupt Butler when he is given the arm band again. Butler has been thrown at the deep end and while it’s good to build for the long term, I’d have given him one format to focus on.

Mo has a natural flair for leadership and is experienced, the players want to play for him and look up to him in the dressing room. There are so many new players who are already compatible with him as the guy to go to and it will be a bit awkward and disrupt Butler when he is given the arm band again. Butler has been thrown at the deep end and while it’s good to build for the long term, I’d have given him one format to focus on.

[MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] what do you guys think, not the most ideal prep when it comes to leadership for England with the WC around the corner but Butler’s fitness has been a curve ball and they find themselves between a rock and a hard place

England management will never accept him to lead Stokes, Bairstow, Butler and Roy once they are all avail again.

He is a deserving captain for England but they will always pick any one of these guys to lead them before him

Back