[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - the real deal or a flash in the pan?

No shock yet another youngsters is failing at top of order in limited overs game.

1st you have the issue that the player hasn't played enough domestically to develop, then you have babar and rizwan in top 3 who add extra pressure by batting at one pace, which means this youngster is force with more pressure to score quickly. Poor management once again.
not playing enough domestic cricket is the real issue here.

Please lets not blame every worldly issue on Babar & Rizwan.

Saim needs to take ownership of his own failures.

No shock yet another youngsters is failing at top of order in limited overs game.

1st you have the issue that the player hasn't played enough domestically to develop, then you have babar and rizwan in top 3 who add extra pressure by batting at one pace, which means this youngster is force with more pressure to score quickly. Poor management once again.
Ah yes Babar and rizwan tells him to play brainlessly.

not playing enough domestic cricket is the real issue here.

Please lets not blame every worldly issue on Babar & Rizwan.

Saim needs to take ownership of his own failures.
I didn't blame the entire issue on babar and rizwan, but when you put any player into Pakistan T20 or ODI top 3 and then are batting with selfish cake cutting millstone chasers like babar, rizwan, imam etc.. it adds extra pressure.

Replace saim with another player by all means. But same pressure will apply.

I think another blunder Kaptaan made tonight, when ur pace bowlers was getting thrashed so why didnt u give an extra over to saim? he bowled quite well in his first over where he gave only 7 runs and at that time all of ur premium bowlers where leaking more than 10 runs per over.

Ah yes Babar and rizwan tells him to play brainlessly.
Only thing brainless was the response.

If a player comes into a team where players around him are scoring like snails, that adds even more pressure.

An inexperienced kid being thrown in and essentially been expected to be the one who scores quickly in PP. Yeah the player himself has to develop but you put any emerging player in a selfish toxic environment like Pakistan cricket team and they will drown.

Only thing brainless was the response.

If a player comes into a team where players around him are scoring like snails, that adds even more pressure.

An inexperienced kid being thrown in and essentially been expected to be the one who scores quickly in PP. Yeah the player himself has to develop but you put any emerging player in a selfish toxic environment like Pakistan cricket team and they will drown.
He should play for himself if the other are playing from themselves. He's still averaging far less than them along with a worse Sr too.

Saim is clearly talented and deserves all the chance but he needs to realize quickly that this sort of stuff won't work.

He should play for himself if the other are playing from themselves. He's still averaging far less than them along with a worse Sr too.

Saim is clearly talented and deserves all the chance but he needs to realize quickly that this sort of stuff won't work.
Why should he play for himself as well? How does that benefit any team? 🤦‍♂️

Why should he play for himself as well? How does that benefit any team? 🤦‍♂️
You are saying the other playing for themselves. I am saying should should he because currently with his brainless batting he's averaging 15 odd with Sr of 130. Surely even if he even plays for himself he can do better. If rizwan who is far less talented than him can average around 50 odd with a similar Sr surely Saim can do it too.

Currently his brainless batting is not helping any team rather putting them under pressure.

You are saying the other playing for themselves. I am saying should should he because currently with his brainless batting he's averaging 15 odd with Sr of 130. Surely even if he even plays for himself he can do better. If rizwan who is far less talented than him can average around 50 odd with a similar Sr surely Saim can do it too.

Currently his brainless batting is not helping any team rather putting them under pressure.
Playing for himself means he would just be doing what imam does in ODIs, wasting the PP. Essentially then what would happen is he would get dropped for not playing his aggressors role.

Unlike imam he's not going to get parchi treatment.

I'm not saying for a second saims brainless cricket is acceptable but he's not exactly been helped by others around him.

I think the better term should be "he should just play his natural game"...
Irrespective of who he is batting with...

The issue with Saim Is that he hasn't played enough first class cricket... probably have issues with his IQ.
Let's just say it's a combination of both.

I think the better term should be "he should just play his natural game"...
Irrespective of who he is batting with...

The issue with Saim Is that he hasn't played enough first class cricket... probably have issues with his IQ.
Let's just say it's a combination of both.
Definitely their is a lack of experience, but this is where your senior players, coaches etc.. should be helping. But thru don't, what ever new players that come into this Pakistan side will simply not develop.

Yes he hasn't come good yet but is a player with a high ceiling and must be backed until the end of the world cup.

Trust me if we drop this young man it will just Instill further negativity, defensiveness and caution in the remaining players and replacements.

He MUST play the World Cup.

I think another blunder Kaptaan made tonight, when ur pace bowlers was getting thrashed so why didnt u give an extra over to saim? he bowled quite well in his first over where he gave only 7 runs and at that time all of ur premium bowlers where leaking more than 10 runs per over.
Saim really got away with it. Bowled one good ball and 5 that should have got smashed.

Not bowling him again was a good decision.

Definitely their is a lack of experience, but this is where your senior players, coaches etc.. should be helping. But thru don't, what ever new players that come into this Pakistan side will simply not develop.
This is where the Managment comes into it.

Alas it's Pakistan Cricket and more often then not player power or should I say seniority comes into it.

The system wreaks of cow dung

Playing for himself means he would just be doing what imam does in ODIs, wasting the PP. Essentially then what would happen is he would get dropped for not playing his aggressors role.

Unlike imam he's not going to get parchi treatment.

I'm not saying for a second saims brainless cricket is acceptable but he's not exactly been helped by others around him.
What should the others do play brainlessly like him? What happened when they both didn't open with him. Saim is playing international cricket and he's been given a very long run which most players won't be given because there is clearly a player in him. Who told to come down charging to the 1st bowl today as it must have been Babar or Rizwan.

International games are not the place to learn, but to perform and implement what the player has already learnt.

Looks like Ayub has learnt nothing. I think the remaining games should determine whether he should be in the starting 11 for WC.

What should the others do play brainlessly like him? What happened when they both didn't open with him. Saim is playing international cricket and he's been given a very long run which most players won't be given because there is clearly a player in him. Who told to come down charging to the 1st bowl today as it must have been Babar or Rizwan.
Where did I say others should play brainless cricket?

Show me the quote? Again your making things up! Your essentially arguing with urself.

Secondly I never defended his brainless dismissal. So again you are creating a non-existent argument.

My point was whoever comes in to open with babar, is going to be expected to he the aggressor. Why? Because Babar ahd rizwan have no interest in playing aggressively or with intent in powerplay

When you have the captain of the team constantly eating up dot balls early on in different T20 games, that will add pressure to the other batsmen. Why because babar ain't going to change the way he plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
International games are not the place to learn, but to perform and implement what the player has already learnt.

Looks like Ayub has learnt nothing. I think the remaining games should determine whether he should be in the starting 11 for WC.
That's the selectors, team management fault for throwing a rookie in so early, if you do that it's down to team set up to help the player.

Essentially he shouldn't have been picked so early, but the selectors did.

Currently, Saim is having a tough time to even meet the 'flash in the pan' criteria. 'Real deal's is out of the window.

As usual, now the full world will be blamed but Saim: - selectors and domestics.

It seems Ramiz Raja's love for Babar Azam isn't going anywhere as he doesn't think that Saim Ayub is the right choice as the opener. Here is what he said on your YouTube channel.

"I don't think Saim Ayub gives you security, he shows flashes of brilliance. If you don't score 50 off 30 balls then breaking Rizwan and Babar's opening duo doesn't make any sense".

I personally don't think that we need Babar and Rizwan as our openers as we are likely to end out powerplay between 40-50 runs most of the times that is not good enough in today's T20 international cricket.

Currently, Saim is having a tough time to even meet the 'flash in the pan' criteria. 'Real deal's is out of the window.

As usual, now the full world will be blamed but Saim: - selectors and domestics.
The player is out of his depth.

Who put him there? Go read Amir sohails interview on here from a few years back.

The whole purpose of selectors is to identify players who are ready for international cricket.

The whole point of coaches is to work on players games technically and mentally.

The whole point of captain and senior players is to help bring younger players along

Yes saim is to blame for his dumb shot, but when the whole process of selecting him in 1st place. Clueless coaches not working on his flaws and a captain more interested in cutting cake.

Guess what oncs saim is dropped. Another player will be selected and same issues again. Why, because players don't develop in Pakistani cricket these days due to incompetent environment they come into.

It seems Ramiz Raja's love for Babar Azam isn't going anywhere as he doesn't think that Saim Ayub is the right choice as the opener. Here is what he said on your YouTube channel.

"I don't think Saim Ayub gives you security, he shows flashes of brilliance. If you don't score 50 off 30 balls then breaking Rizwan and Babar's opening duo doesn't make any sense".

I personally don't think that we need Babar and Rizwan as our openers as we are likely to end out powerplay between 40-50 runs most of the times that is not good enough in today's T20 international cricket.
So who does rameez suggest as opener? Reality is that whoever it is they have to score quickly and take risks why either babar or rizwan eat up dotballs at other end whilst they look for a cake cutting 50.

If these 2 senior players showed more intent it would help not only the team but also who ever the chose opener is.

So who does rameez suggest as opener? Reality is that whoever it is they have to score quickly and take risks why either babar or rizwan eat up dotballs at other end whilst they look for a cake cutting 50.

If these 2 senior players showed more intent it would help not only the team but also who ever the chose opener is.

Exactly but I guess speaking in favor of Babar is going to give more views to his YouTube videos.

Like many modern day Pakistan cricketers, this guy seems to belong to the Shahid Afridi school of thought - couple fantastical shots and then out the next. Zero brains, zero game awareness, zero desire to learn and zero accountability.

He has no concept on how to build an innings. Will get exposed horribly against proper international class bowlers. They won’t let him get to these peanuts he is getting to in these B team and minnow matches.

Isn’t it funny if Saim was batting at 3 or 4 we would have heard the usual posters claiming if he bats at opener he’d Average 30 with a 160 SR.

19 T20s later, batting where he wants he’s averaging 15 at 131.

He is clearly not good enough yet but sending him back to domestic will turn him in to another Haider Ali. Keep him in the worldcup squad he will come good.

Isn’t it funny if Saim was batting at 3 or 4 we would have heard the usual posters claiming if he bats at opener he’d Average 30 with a 160 SR.

Which will happen to anyone that comes in. International cricket is brutal and we need someone to stand out in domestic cricket first, before rushing them in.

Saim is arguably the best PSL performer in batters and he has been exposed horribly at this level.

So Babar and Rizwan will open in the world T20?
No babar must play at 3. One reason we didn't win WC 2022 was our non existent middle order. Duds like ifti shadab completely botched it for us and left us 20 runs short.
Babar needs to guide the innings in pressure matches

That is the exact script one track mind fans like @Rana would have read from.

No babar must play at 3. One reason we didn't win WC 2022 was our non existent middle order. Duds like ifti shadab completely botched it for us and left us 20 runs short.
Babar needs to guide the innings in pressure matches
We still don't have a middle order.

Fakhar, Chacha, Shadab, Azam hahaha.

It's unfortunate isn't it, you want the boy to do well but he is just not kicking on. He should be bashing minnows without an issue like in PSL. Is this more of a mental issue?

Maybe ODI and test cricket will settle him because he is batting like Asif Ali, way too high risk. Or perhaps that's the role given to him?

I want to see how he gets on with a string of ODI matches. We can't just keep discarding, sometimes need to persist.

He said babar is going to surpass zaheer abass as a test batsmen as well
Zaheer was a tier-3 Test batsman and not a benchmark for Babar. The benchmark for Babar in Test cricket amongst Pakistani batsmen are Miandad and Younis.

Also, I see that you didn’t have the chops to peddle your hilarious Razzaq > Babar BS today. Please don’t quote if you are not going to say something intelligent.

It's unfortunate isn't it, you want the boy to do well but he is just not kicking on. He should be bashing minnows without an issue like in PSL. Is this more of a mental issue?

Maybe ODI and test cricket will settle him because he is batting like Asif Ali, way too high risk. Or perhaps that's the role given to him?

I want to see how he gets on with a string of ODI matches. We can't just keep discarding, sometimes need to persist.
I want him to succeed so badly because he has the talent, but the more I see him bat, the more painful it gets to watch. His power shots are nonexistent even on smaller grounds. He is becoming a leg side hack which I know is not true but we all know what happens to one dimensional players. It's concerning that Rizwan and Babar, known for accumulating runs steadily, are currently looking more threatening. I hope we stick with him until the England series; otherwise, the team has options for the opening.

Sometimes it's better to move a player out of the firing line to save their careers. If Saim isn't mentally tough enough, he might never recover from these failures. Umar Akmal had better output than Saim in his early years. Of batters who did worse than him, I can only think of Umar Amin. I'd like Fakhar to be opening with Rizwan for immediate future. Saim can return once he develops some composure.

Zaheer was a tier-3 Test batsman and not a benchmark for Babar. The benchmark for Babar in Test cricket amongst Pakistani batsmen are Miandad and Younis.

Also, I see that you didn’t have the chops to peddle your hilarious Razzaq > Babar BS today. Please don’t quote if you are not going to say something intelligent.
I did? Razzaq > Babar, I firmly believe it.

What's wrong with saying so? I've debated and argued with everyone on it, and maintained a stance. Only you have decided to mock lol.

You think Zaheer is worse then babar lol.

At the end of the day ive said it nunerous times over and will maintain my stance, I don't go by this different time and different place narrative that you go for. I'm consistently smart, you're inconsistent on everything, a fact you've admitted, hence I see no reason on arguing with someone who can't maintain or formulate his own premise.

BTW I forgot to add, I'm going to drop another truth bomb on you, Imad wasim is a better batsmen them 2022 to 2024 babar. By miles infact.

Although babar from 2016-2021 is better then imad.

BTW I forgot to add, I'm going to drop another truth bomb on you, Imad wasim is a better batsmen them 2022 to 2024 babar. By miles infact.

Although babar from 2016-2021 is better then imad.
You didn’t have to stop at Imad.

Naseem, Shaheen and Rauf from 2022-2024 are also better batsmen than Babar.

I'm not the one advocating zaheer abass being worse then Bobby or advocating hasan Ali being better then Amir

You didn’t have to stop at Imad.

Naseem, Shaheen and Rauf from 2022-2024 are also better batsmen than Babar.
Imad wasim is a better odi batsmen then babar 100%, let's have their side by side team stat war right now.

How is an avg of 42 and sr of 110 batting at no 7 worse then an avg if 56 which was originally 60 but dropped by 4 points due to a trash 2023 wc and a sr of 88 at No 3 better?

How is an average of 33 against India better then an average of 71 against India that imad has? Go on I'll wait.

So far it seems to be going in the direction of a "flash in the pan"

He's had 2 full series one at home against NZ and the away series against Ireland yet no performance.

He's not got much time to get himself in favour of being in the T20 WC squad especially with only 4 games to go before the start of the WC.

Now he's going to even face a harder opponent in England in their own backyard which won't be easy for him.

He's on his last chance for now I guess...

SOmetimes giving a mini breaks help. Even elite players have taken a break and come back stronger.

He just seems very low on confidence. I don't know what he's been told or what kind of role has been portrayed to him, but he seems to be blindly slogging at anything on his pads. It used to be more calculated before or rather in the PSL. The way he's gotten out as of late has been awkward and strange. He definitely has the skills and talent, but hopefully he can apply them soon.

this is completely unrelated to the thread, it's quite a meaningless and ignorant way to go about comparing them. It is not holistic. A player's average and SR doesn't tell you the whole story. Babar as a top order batsman has more temperament and will withstand the opening spells and build the innings much better than Imad. And Babar's SR in the death overs in ODIs is 150 whereas Imad's is 136. 11 set Babars carrying the innings from start to end will undoubtedly yield a greater score than a bunch of Imad's carrying the bat for 50 overs straight. This isn't his game. He's good at his role. But you can't compare it to Babar who is an overall superior batsman. Taking just the average and SR to see if Imad is superior to Babar :facepalm:

Saim is gonna be like Sami Aslam simply not good enough. He too should apply for an American visa right away.

this is completely unrelated to the thread, it's quite a meaningless and ignorant way to go about comparing them. It is not holistic. A player's average and SR doesn't tell you the whole story. Babar as a top order batsman has more temperament and will withstand the opening spells and build the innings much better than Imad. And Babar's SR in the death overs in ODIs is 150 whereas Imad's is 136. 11 set Babars carrying the innings from start to end will undoubtedly yield a greater score than a bunch of Imad's carrying the bat for 50 overs straight. This isn't his game. He's good at his role. But you can't compare it to Babar who is an overall superior batsman. Taking just the average and SR to see if Imad is superior to Babar :facepalm:
Going by that stats Imad Wasim is better than Virat Kohli, Tendulkar Ponting, Viv Richard and list goes on and on.

Going by that stats Imad Wasim is better than Virat Kohli, Tendulkar Ponting, Viv Richard and list goes on and on.
Honestly it was a poor argument from someone who I consider to know his stuff mostly. This is what I sometimes mean by some people blindly hating on Babar.

And to say this...
11 imad wasim's vs 11 Babar's who wins and why? Keep in mind babar will be bowling as well.
Imad would wipe the floor with any batsmen in history then? Because Imad is superior in bowling to every batsman to have played the game who is not an all-rounder.

Saim is gonna be like Sami Aslam simply not good enough. He too should apply for an American visa right away.
Sami Aslam would not have survived in the modern game. Saim has the tools and game. If you see him right now you can clearly tell he has a mental issue at the moment. Lacking confidence and seems to be in a hurry. Just needs to get his head in the right frame. We need people like him to advance our cricket

Sami Aslam would not have survived in the modern game. Saim has the tools and game. If you see him right now you can clearly tell he has a mental issue at the moment. Lacking confidence and seems to be in a hurry. Just needs to get his head in the right frame. We need people like him to advance our cricket
Saim hasn't done anything to give me much confidence. Sami had potential too without ever fulfilling it.

Saim hasn't done anything to give me much confidence. Sami had potential too without ever fulfilling it.
Sami didn't get a lot of chances either. He deserved a longer run in the test circuit. He was just unfairly dropped. He had performances in England and NZ, something which most of our batsmen now would struggle to do

This thread is not about BABAR and IMAD so all those Irrelevent posts will be removed. Please stay on topic.

Saim is just another league bully and he is not improving his game to look like an international player. He is just egoistic as he is not willing to let go of his weaknesses like playing blind shots every now and then.

It took Saeed Anwar around 2 years before he started delivering for Pakistan

Saim Ayub has been a major disappointment. He’s been given a long rope and nobody other than him is to be blamed .

Pakistan chased 180 in the last few games and he was dismissed in the first few overs .
Very rare that a young player is backed this much but he’s not upto the mark. We need to stop making excuses for him now . The World Cup squad needs to be announced after the 1st game against England.
He should not be going . Simple as that .

He might have.

Dude averaged 50 and 100SR and was consistently the fastest opener besides a few like fakhar and sharjeel and a few other tullei baaz in domestic at the time, but none of those guys averaged 50 alongside the 100SR.

The issue was Pakistan having this dosti yaari culture that was only absent from 2017-2019.

Sami aslam was consistent kept out for the likes of shehzad because haroon rasheed had a massive inflated ego, and sami at the time was in the form of his life, you could easily tell from his odi debut he was head and shoulders > Shehzad and was the all format opener that we needed.

But After frequent drops and getting frustrated qith the system, he himself started to suck and decline in form.

He had a South Africa odi series to prove himself but didn't, and I'm test his form was declining.

It didn't help that fakhar came onto the scene in 2017 and made himself forever undroppable regardless of form due to his insane 150+ scores and kiwi bashing. On there end, Imam on debut came and scored a 100 and had the backing of inzi, abid ali also came in scoring a 100 on debut, then Abdullah cane in scoring a 111 in a world cup stage.

Sami was kinda screwed in the limited over format .

Sami didn't get a lot of chances either. He deserved a longer run in the test circuit. He was just unfairly dropped. He had performances in England and NZ, something which most of our batsmen now would struggle to do
Well we know that Pak doesn't give many off our players enough chances. I believe that the best will mostly make if they are good enough.

Technically very deficient...wants to play everything square off the wicket.
And a poor shot is always around the corner like Mohammad Haris

Technically very deficient...wants to play everything square off the wicket.
And a poor shot is always around the corner like Mohammad Haris
No technique isn't the problem with saim, temprement and intelligence is. And these 2 are worse problems then technique because these 2 issues cannot be worked on or fixed by any coach, its all upto the player and we've seen players like umar akmal never recover or settle.

It took Saeed Anwar around 2 years before he started delivering for Pakistan

Saeed anwar in odis had a disgusting record against quality pace which in that era was Australia, South africa and west indies and our own team pakistan the rest of the teams pace options were rather limited and average at best .

Anwar also had a rubbish record playing odis in Australia and South africa .

Yes he was class in Sharjah subcontinent where he dominated teams like india and sri lanka etc.

No technique isn't the problem with saim, temprement and intelligence is. And these 2 are worse problems then technique because these 2 issues cannot be worked on or fixed by any coach, its all upto the player and we've seen players like umar akmal never recover or settle.
No there are problems with his technique too.

Last year in October I had pointed out that if the bowler pitches the ball on his middle or off and then lets the ball go further outside then he will have problems because he does not use his backfoot at all to cover the line of the ball,and thats has been evident in his batting.

Apart from this as I said in the last post that he wants to play every ball square off the wicket, by doing this your chances of getting out increase due to the bat face being close.
Look at yesterday's dismissal, Sam should have played that ball over mid-on but he wanted to hit it towards fine leg.

How many more games will he take to look like a serious player?
As many as it needs to take.

He is the right kind of player for this position.

You don’t want to play Fakhar as an opener. You all hate the idea of Sharjeel playing as an opener.

If this kid fits the bill because he is cute and wholesome, might as well trust him throughout the World Cup. When he fires, he will win you a game. It could be a crucial game as well.

Back