[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - the real deal or a flash in the pan?

No off topic discussion guys! If you want to discuss anything regarding Misbah then plz bump any relevant thread on him. Thanks

Looking like this generation's Imran Nazir. No doubting he has plenty of flair, but he has same failings as Haider Ali. No idea how to pick his shots or how to avoid field placings.

I've said it before just open with riz and Babar

And have fakhar and usman depending on situation rotate and 3 or 4.

Should be his last match for now , Usman khan must open during the remaining matches and in the worldcup too with Rizwan.

At this rate, not only should Babar Azam be padded up, but also be at the boundary line waiting to walk in.

If he's going to play he needs to just come out swinging. He had a couple of failures and then went into his shell since then and he looks a different player altogether. I think players like him and Fakhar need to just play all out attack while the field is in.

Said it a long time ago he’s just a flash in the pan poor version of Jaiswal

Lol that's an insult to Jaiswal who atleast has a double century in test cricket vs England and a very powerful body of work over this Shodda

Looking like this generation's Imran Nazir. No doubting he has plenty of flair, but he has same failings as Haider Ali. No idea how to pick his shots or how to avoid field placings.
Imran nazir has a few match winning once in a life time innings that can't be replicated though? He was basically a more inconstant version of fakhar zaman aka a one hit wonder but when he did perform 1 to 25 games they were match winning.

Saim hasn't got a single thing to show? What innings of note?

Flash in the pan, he and azam are of the same mould as batters besides body weight, aka certified League bullies

Too many chances and babar doesn't even trust him with the ball either.

Usman comes in for him.

Just give next 2 games to usman and saim tk open and whoever performs plays in world cup. Rizwan comes back.
Same with ball rest imad give next 2 games shadab and abrar.
Rest shaheen or amir and give next 2 games to Haris and Nasim.

Too many chances and babar doesn't even trust him with the ball either.

Usman comes in for him.
If Usman comes in the team, it should be in place of Azam Khan. I think we may try Fakhar Zaman with Saim Ayub as the openers so they both can go in the powerplay. With Babar and Rizwan, Saim has to take most of the responsibility to score quick runs.

If Usman comes in the team, it should be in place of Azam Khan. I think we may try Fakhar Zaman with Saim Ayub as the openers so they both can go in the powerplay. With Babar and Rizwan, Saim has to take most of the responsibility to score quick runs.
No thanks, Saim has consistently failed.

He doesn't deserve anymore chances.

He seems very dimensional and the stats are poor. On the other hand, we have invested in him so let play the T20 WC.

Time to dump this overhyped atrocious terrible player.
He is a nothing player.
Mohammad haris instead of him would have been much better.

Getting out the same way. International cricket is ruthless. Young batters' weaknesses are preyed on by data hawks in the opposition camp.

Not only.Saim Ayub's batting average is pathetic his SR is also very low as per modern standard infact ex selector Shahid Afridi also made the criteria of not selecting players with SR<130

My gripe is this, Saim Ayubi has just come around now right and I agree, he’s getting out doing the same thing. But what’s the difference between him and Riswan in that regard? Riswan only has one shot to; the hoik to cow corner and he been playing the same way for almost half a decade!

Ayubi’s head needs clearing but there is a higher ceiling somewhere, whereas for Mr. Ris, he’s only going one way, and that’s plunging to new lows each time that no good SOB is out there

My gripe is this, Saim Ayubi has just come around now right and I agree, he’s getting out doing the same thing. But what’s the difference between him and Riswan in that regard? Riswan only has one shot to; the hoik to cow corner and he been playing the same way for almost half a decade!

Ayubi’s head needs clearing but there is a higher ceiling somewhere, whereas for Mr. Ris, he’s only going one way, and that’s plunging to new lows each time that no good SOB is out there
Uhh kinda disagree.

Saim ayub has lost all confidence. I saw how he was playing today. He's under pressure and I think he knows his career is finished after the cup

What bit do you disagree with specifically dummy 🤔
Neither of these 2 get out doing the same thing. Saim has gotten out numerous tines via top edges as well.

It's just quality bowlers bowl leg side to him cause they know he doesn't have power to clear and he'll play a lofted stroke.

But otherwise he's gotten out in various ways.

As for rizwan same story

He has had his chances, more chances than any other player in his position would have received. Time to go to the drawing board for him.

Neither of these 2 get out doing the same thing. Saim has gotten out numerous tines via top edges as well.

It's just quality bowlers bowl leg side to him cause they know he doesn't have power to clear and he'll play a lofted stroke.

But otherwise he's gotten out in various ways.

As for rizwan same story

Fakhar and Rizwan need to open.. Babar to come one down.. Saim Ayub must be shown the door.. and no experiment with Usman khan in big tournament. we needed Salman Agha in there.. Shadab needs to be axed in favor of proper spinner like abrar ahmed. enough with Shadab floater.. Babar had 10 games to try out abrar.. but he only played in 2.. Babar’s clownery with team combo also needs to end. Iftikhar must be told that this will be his last tournament oppurtunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
bring him back when rizwan and babar retires
i 100 percent guarantee you babar or rizwan on the other end are telling him to go all out while they keep the wicket on the other end. strategy normally applied in odi's when one batsmen is weaker than the other.

he made 49 when he opened with harris, and he made 47 when he was playing with fakhar
all his other scores have been poor.

he needs to come in settle in before he starts going crazy

i 100 percent guarantee you babar or rizwan on the other end are telling him to go all out while they keep the wicket on the other end. strategy normally applied in odi's when one batsmen is weaker than the other.

he made 49 when he opened with harris, and he made 47 when he was playing with fakhar
all his other scores have been poor.

he needs to come in settle in before he starts going crazy
He scored 2(7) by going all out. Wonder what will he do if he plays conservatively

This guy should be shown the door now. Drop him bruh and bring Usman in. We have no one else TBH sitting on the bench to replace him.

If not usman to open, bring babar and riz back, usman 1 down and fakhar 2 down. Simple and basic thing.

My question is, why do so many posters here want an experiment in progress to continue in a WC?

Sure, give all the chances you want in bi-laterals. But you want someone who is all set and delivers in a WC. Not someone who needs more chances to see if he is good.

Youngster beauty. Among the strongest pullers in the game right now for a reason. The shot he got out to was a six in any other ground in the world. In USA he will hit those balls out of the ground with his eyes closed.
:inti

My question is, why do so many posters here want an experiment in progress to continue in a WC?

Sure, give all the chances you want in bi-laterals. But you want someone who is all set and delivers in a WC. Not someone who needs more chances to see if he is good.
Gets the 'youngster' cushion. It's an age old Pakistani fantasy. Get a young player to hit a few sixes and he will be a darling.

He’s got out to too many poor shots. In a powerplay how can you continue to find the only fielder on the boundary.

I’m a fan but he’s been very poor.

Lol that's an insult to Jaiswal who atleast has a double century in test cricket vs England and a very powerful body of work over this Shodda
Actually you’re right I take my statement back. He’s just another Imran Farhat won’t last. Just not cut out for the big league

Actually you’re right I take my statement back. He’s just another Imran Farhat won’t last. Just not cut out for the big league
No way, Imran Farhat had already scored many more runs than him in his initial 20 innings in international cricket.

In a post-match analysis on his YouTube channel following the 2nd T20I between England and Pakistan, Ramiz Raja said:

“First, Saim Ayub coming as an opener. I don’t think Pakistan should continue with Saim. He has been given too many chances and you have to do better in [international] cricket. He is undercooked. You need to revert to the opening pair of Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam because that is Pakistan’s strength and they understand each other’s game. The entire combination has been disturbed due to Saim.”

In a post-match analysis on his YouTube channel following the 2nd T20I between England and Pakistan, Ramiz Raja said:

“First, Saim Ayub coming as an opener. I don’t think Pakistan should continue with Saim. He has been given too many chances and you have to do better in [international] cricket. He is undercooked. You need to revert to the opening pair of Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam because that is Pakistan’s strength and they understand each other’s game. The entire combination has been disturbed due to Saim.”
How is this the solution to all problems Ramiz?

Atm problem is Saim, he needs to go back to basics
Saim is no problem

He is the right kind of player in the right position.

If he’s going to be replaced, it’s going to have to be with the right kind of player for that position. Is Babar Azam that player? Is Rizwan that player?

I think we pull the plug now. Hate doing this. But it’s already too late, and his replacement won’t be given a fair shot anymore, Saim has already had one of the easiest extended lots of chances at opening and it hasn’t worked.

Let Usman open and make it clear to him that whatever happens he has the remaining two T20s in England and all of the World Cup as opener, no matter if he fails.

Rambo raja knows the 170 baba & rizwan just about get will turn into 140 with walking wicket Ayub in the team.

M.Haris is even worse than him.
No. Haris is much better than this hack. Haris changed the fortune of Pakistan in the previous world T20.

Had they given him this many chances he would have performed better than this terrible hack.

Haris should open with fakhar that's the best opening combination in Pakistan cricket in t20s.

Saim has been given the longest rope out of all players in a very long time. He has been a colossal failure and should not play another game till he goes back and earns another shot . It’s actually a travesty he is going to the World Cup . Only other option is Usman khan .

This batting line up has only gun player and that is Fakhar zaman. Rest is useless.

It might be safe to say the Saim experiment is over. So much hype, fizzled down into nothing.

Saim is no problem

He is the right kind of player in the right position.

If he’s going to be replaced, it’s going to have to be with the right kind of player for that position. Is Babar Azam that player? Is Rizwan that player?
20 games , zero performance and getting out in single digit putting pressure on the middle order.

Performance and runs matters. He is too obsessed with the no look shot , concentrates more on playing that shot than scoring boundaries piercing the gaps.

Don't think Saim has had a season where he has been among the top domestic run scorers, he didn't even impress or top the charts during our Shaheen tours or Emerging tournaments. He has been selected and backed purely on the basis of potential. He needs to go back and actually earn a spot in the team now.

I think we pull the plug now. Hate doing this. But it’s already too late, and his replacement won’t be given a fair shot anymore, Saim has already had one of the easiest extended lots of chances at opening and it hasn’t worked.

Let Usman open and make it clear to him that whatever happens he has the remaining two T20s in England and all of the World Cup as opener, no matter if he fails.
Putting Usman to open will fail his career I believe. Not the chance that a rookie like him would thrive in this part of the world and that too against Archer.

Don't think Saim has had a season where he has been among the top domestic run scorers, he didn't even impress or top the charts during our Shaheen tours or Emerging tournaments. He has been selected and backed purely on the basis of potential. He needs to go back and actually earn a spot in the team now.
Saud Shakeel, Agha Salman, Haris , Tayyab tahir, Shan Masood , khawaja nafay are a good bunch.

Pak takes Azam, Ifthikar and Saim

He actually had a pretty good 23/24 QEA performance in first class which was one of the reasons he rose up for national selection. Despite that, he’s been an abject failure at the international level.

He actually had a pretty good 23/24 QEA performance in first class which was one of the reasons he rose up for national selection. Despite that, he’s been an abject failure at the international level.

That's indicative of a poor uncompetitive domestic structure where the weaknesses of the players are exploited.

oh bhai I am really done with this guy... dont know how many matches he will get more even after the pathetic performance, Mohammad Haris was a way better option than this fluke.

Disappointing stuff from him.

I'm sure he's better than what he's shown so far in Pakistan colours.

Putting Usman to open will fail his career I believe. Not the chance that a rookie like him would thrive in this part of the world and that too against Archer.
It’s not fair against him, but I’d try it now. Saim has had enough chances. There’s a chance it will succeed, he was so good in PSL, way better than the rest.

That's indicative of a poor uncompetitive domestic structure where the weaknesses of the players are exploited.
Wouldn’t a poor uncompetitive domestic structure do the opposite? It wouldn’t exploit the weaknesses of players, it would mask them.

A lot of people posting emotionally on this post.

Yes, Saim has been poor.

But he is young and being young and carefree should give you chances galore unless absolutely certain there is no hope.

If you want to drop Saim, then better drop Rizwan first or Babar first because we already know their ceiling.

I would give unlimited chances to a young colt rather than a veteran horse on his last legs.

The fans in Pakistan have no idea how to develop a player and thats why they settle for mediocrity.

A mediocre Rizwan plus average Babar find flavor every month over Match winner Fakhar or Imad simply because our fans thoughts are mediocre too.

A lot of people posting emotionally on this post.

Yes, Saim has been poor.

But he is young and being young and carefree should give you chances galore unless absolutely certain there is no hope.

If you want to drop Saim, then better drop Rizwan first or Babar first because we already know their ceiling.

I would give unlimited chances to a young colt rather than a veteran horse on his last legs.

The fans in Pakistan have no idea how to develop a player and thats why they settle for mediocrity.

A mediocre Rizwan plus average Babar find flavor every month over Match winner Fakhar or Imad simply because our fans thoughts are mediocre too.
Please provide a list of matches that Imad has won for Pakistan over the years to be labeled as a 'match winner'.

oh bhai I am really done with this guy... dont know how many matches he will get more even after the pathetic performance, Mohammad Haris was a way better option than this fluke.
Honestly, I'd like to have both Ayub and Haris in the XI. Both have potential imo and I hope Kirsten will be able to groom them.

Looking bad now - all this could change in the World Cup

Looking bad now - all this could change in the World Cup

He is beginning to look like Asif Ali. England had him all worked out. They set a trap for his favorite shot and he was gone with no resistance. Saim plays his hook shot without much control and he takes his eye of the ball. It won't work against top class sides. He needs to improve his batting greatly.

Saim has the talent but that is pointless if he doesn't use his brain and make use of the opportunities he is getting. He is naturally aggressive but that doesn't mean he should try to hit every ball. He needs to understand he is not a power hitter and doesn't have the strength that openers like Warner or Salt do. He never muscles or overhits the ball and with his physique that means unless he has timed it well it won't clear the boundary. Therefore, he needs to wait for the right ball rather than trying to hit everything. Secondly, he is becoming too predictable with his no-look and square leg heaves. Bowlers have worked out that weakness and his impulsive urge to play at everything in that region. Most bowlers will gladly concede 1-2 boundaries knowing it will eventually get them his wicket. Again he has the talent, it is now up to him to use his brain and put a price on his wicket.

Saim has the talent but that is pointless if he doesn't use his brain and make use of the opportunities he is getting. He is naturally aggressive but that doesn't mean he should try to hit every ball. He needs to understand he is not a power hitter and doesn't have the strength that openers like Warner or Salt do. He never muscles or overhits the ball and with his physique that means unless he has timed it well it won't clear the boundary. Therefore, he needs to wait for the right ball rather than trying to hit everything. Secondly, he is becoming too predictable with his no-look and square leg heaves. Bowlers have worked out that weakness and his impulsive urge to play at everything in that region. Most bowlers will gladly concede 1-2 boundaries knowing it will eventually get them his wicket. Again he has the talent, it is now up to him to use his brain and put a price on his wicket.
Bro he isn't talented enough.

He's another marketing gimmick, in the same way Bobby was a marketing gimmick with King memes until the babar vs Kohli narrative got exposed.

The narrative for saim is that he can be some sort of future superstar for Pakistan aka a natural replacement for fakhar and that he's a classy player who can be the next saeed anwar for Pakistan or maybe sanath jaysuria or de villers etc etc.

Again it's all marketing gimmicks, claiming saim is a natural replacement for Fakhar is like claiming Red Bull gives you wings.

Believe in him,

Like NZ believed in Fin Allen

Like Australia will show belief in Fraser McGurk

Believe. He will come good InshaAllah

Bro he isn't talented enough.

He's another marketing gimmick, in the same way Bobby was a marketing gimmick with King memes until the babar vs Kohli narrative got exposed.

The narrative for saim is that he can be some sort of future superstar for Pakistan aka a natural replacement for fakhar and that he's a classy player who can be the next saeed anwar for Pakistan or maybe sanath jaysuria or de villers etc etc.

Again it's all marketing gimmicks, claiming saim is a natural replacement for Fakhar is like claiming Red Bull gives you wings.
I disagree. I rate him as the top young LOI talent in Pakistan. What that says about the state of the talent pool is a different debate. The issue is how he translates that talent into performance. And that is not something specific to him. Its a malaise that generally affects young Pakistani players. They just don't seem to have the hunger to learn and to grind their way to success and try looking for shortcuts (but then why just blame them that has become a national trait) and start thinking of themselves as superstars without having achieved anything of note.

Because the alternatives are all probably just as likely to fail, and they have less talent to actually hit the top bowlers. I see Asif Ali was mentioned as a comparison, but that's a really poor comparison because Asif is just a straight bludgeoner who will swipe hard at the ball but has no real skill to react to a change in pace or line.

Saim is very green, but then he has the reflexes to actually hit a bouncer for six if it is dropped short. Maybe he should be replaced but the truth is, there is no obvious replacement who is going to guarantee anything better.

Fakhar
Imad
Amir

The only proper players you have in this squad

Shaheen 4th
That is fine, but that does not answer my question.

Amir (in his prime, not the washed up merchant he is today), Fakhar and Shaheen are match-winners. That doesn't require any explanations.

However, I'm interested to see what Imad has done across his 127 international appearances so far to be labeled a match-winner.

Can you please provide a breakdown of the matches that Imad has won for Pakistan to earn the title of a match-winner?

That is fine, but that does not answer my question.

Amir (in his prime, not the washed up merchant he is today), Fakhar and Shaheen are match-winners. That doesn't require any explanations.

However, I'm interested to see what Imad has done across his 127 international appearances so far to be labeled a match-winner.

Can you please provide a breakdown of the matches that Imad has won for Pakistan to earn the title of a match-winner?
Why should I have to breakdown anything? How can you not see that if this guy (Imad) doesn’t bowl 4 overs of less than 26 runs, and picking up 1-2 wickets doesn’t put the breaks on the opposition isn’t vital to his team’s cause…how can I prove anything to someone that doesn’t value this?

Why should I have to breakdown anything? How can you not see that if this guy (Imad) doesn’t bowl 4 overs of less than 26 runs, and picking up 1-2 wickets doesn’t put the breaks on the opposition isn’t vital to his team’s cause…how can I prove anything to someone that doesn’t value this?
So I see that you made a claim but cannot back it up and now you are deflecting.

Imad has done nothing in his international career to justify the label of a match-winner. Therefore, I am not surprised that you cannot provide a list.

I would argue that a bowler who has taken 0 wickets vs India in international cricket, and averages 60+ with the ball vs the top 5 sides in ODIs while playing as one of the 5 main bowlers, is one of the biggest match losers Pakistan has ever produced.

So I see that you made a claim but cannot back it up and now you are deflecting.

Imad has done nothing in his international career to justify the label of a match-winner. Therefore, I am not surprised that you cannot provide a list.

I would argue that a bowler who has taken 0 wickets vs India in international cricket, and averages 60+ with the ball vs the top 5 sides in ODIs while playing as one of the 5 main bowlers, is one of the biggest match losers Pakistan has ever produced.
So Pakistan should just get rid of him?

What should they do now?

Back