[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - the real deal or a flash in the pan?

I didn't see too much wrong with his innings. He came out and played positively. 6 off 12 or whatever might not reflect that but it also goes not reflect the godawful outfield. He could got 2-3 boundaries on any other proper ground in the world off those same shots. Atleast he went out there and tried to play a different role than Babar or Rizwan. When you play high-risk cricket the chances of failing are always going to be higher, especially on a pitch like this.

I can't believe that he didn't play every game in this tournament while Usman Khan and Azam Khan were picked over him.

Damn shame, I still think he should get another 15 games. Some minnow bashing at home to get his confidence up will do him good. He's very raw atm.

Deep down I still think there is something about him but it's just very sporadic and he plays a lot of loose shots. Last time I had this feeling was when I was first watched Umar A.
15 more? So 35+ games to find out if he is any good? Why not put the 35 in domestic cricket and hone your skills, then play game one at international level.

People need to realize neither Saim nor Haris are the solution..

Invest in proper batsman like Saud, Abdullah or Omair - you’ll see the results
Glad your not the selector selecting bang average test match players is your solution

Was looking promising for a while but seems to be out of form currently.

I think he should be given chances against bottom-tier teams to get match practices. He shouldn't play against top teams until he gets his form back.

He has dissapointed but we need to stick with him (especially given lack of options)

Ultimately our entire batting culture needs to match the modern world. Its not great that we place more expection on a young player to take advatange of the power play than we do for experienced players like Rizwan

Glad your not the selector selecting bang average test match players is your solution

Have you seen the NY pitches and the damage caused by Tullaybaaz who cannot bat properly?

Play proper batsman who can adapt to any situation. Sick and tired of mindless sloggers who can only last 5 balls or worse keep missing the ball like Chachu..

He should get same amount of chances that Pakistan gave Chacha!
Saim has got 22 23 games now and that too on his preferred number. No more chances are needed. He should rest and play his no-look shots in CPL and PSL only. Iftikhar should also go with him and smash domestic bowlers only. Both of them should take Azam khan with them.

Last edited:
Saim is going the way of Imran Nazir and Haider Ali. His issue isn't talent or technique but temperament. I had hopes of him being an all format player for Pakistan but he can't seem to focus for even 10 balls at a stretch. The impulse to hoick everything to square leg is too overwhelming and very easy to spot for international teams. Given our talent pool still has a future if he works hard and learns to focus instead of trying to be a one trick T20 hack but for now should be sent back to domestic cricket.

Saim is going the way of Imran Nazir and Haider Ali. His issue isn't talent or technique but temperament. I had hopes of him being an all format player for Pakistan but he can't seem to focus for even 10 balls at a stretch. The impulse to hoick everything to square leg is too overwhelming and very easy to spot for international teams. Given our talent pool still has a future if he works hard and learns to focus instead of trying to be a one trick T20 hack but for now should be sent back to domestic cricket.
He lacks power in to his shots and is not a good timer either (for now) however his technique is pretty good and has got very good reflexes and hand eye coordination as well , such type of players never bother with extreme pace or sharp turn as they have eagle like reflexes. Reminds me of Imran Nazir more than anybody.

He should be a permanent fixture for A team for now.

He lacks power in to his shots and is not a good timer either (for now) however his technique is pretty good and has got very good reflexes and hand eye coordination as well , such type of players never bother with extreme pace or sharp turn as they have eagle like reflexes. Reminds me of Imran Nazir more than anybody.

He should be a permanent fixture for A team for now.
He doesn't have power so he should be more selective about the shots he plays. Unless he times them well his aerial shots don't cross the boundary so its important that he chooses the right balls to hit. Unfortunately shot selection doesn't seem to be his strength.

Should definitely be a part of the Shaheens.

He certainly has had his chances and there have been more missed opportunities, however there's a great chance for growth here. It seems his focus is on big plays, which can be a strength, but developing a well-rounded game and situational awareness would be even more beneficial. This is where the 4-day format can be incredibly valuable for honing those skills

He certainly has had his chances and there have been more missed opportunities, however there's a great chance for growth here. It seems his focus is on big plays, which can be a strength, but developing a well-rounded game and situational awareness would be even more beneficial. This is where the 4-day format can be incredibly valuable for honing those skills
4 day game against trundlers on dead pitches or underprepared green mamba won't help him a bit. He needs to tour Aus and Eng with Shaheen and possibly signed up for BBL.

Sharjeel khan is not ready either, considering his form and willingness to stay fitter.
We don't want Azam khan 2.0
And for saim ayub, he's too young at the moment to even raise fingers on him. He has a long way to go and learn gradually.

We all know what people would have said if Saim was batting at 3/4 and failing.

“Babar is so selfish. He has ruined Saim by not letting him open so that he can do stat padding. He has destroyed his confidence and if he gives him a chance as an opener, he will destroy bowling attacks in the power play”

Last edited by a moderator:
Saim Ayub get’s “dragged” into the side minute there is pressure on Rizwan/Babar or there is a negative limelight from the media on Pakistan cricket.

Environment is so important. Look at Manchester United, over the years they signed performing in form players but as soon as they joined Manchester United (no stability, poor environment, core players struggling) the newly signed players also flopped for example Sanchez, Di Maria etc.

The treatment of Ayub has been unfair. Whether he is good enough or not at this level is a different argument but how you develop and prepare a mitigation plan for a young prospect is so SO crucial.

On a challenging pitch, his intent was great and did OK. He should open the next game. He should never have been dropped in the first place. Persistence is key.

Saim Ayub get’s “dragged” into the side minute there is pressure on Rizwan/Babar or there is a negative limelight from the media on Pakistan cricket
He played 23+ games non-stop. How is it unfair to him?

How is this called a "DRAGGING INTO THE SIDE". SAIM was poor and he proved be a flash in the fan.

He needs to play domestic cricket for 2 years atleast. He is good enough but not ready yet.

And replaced by who?

Pakistan talent cupboard is bare, he at least has some. When the senior pros look so bad why would you back old and fading players rather than this guy? At least you can reason he might develop into a good player with some experience.

Saim Ayub had another disappointing outing, failing to perform against Canada in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024. Former PCB Chairman Ramiz Raja said on his YouTube channel:

“Saim Ayub got another chance. The start was good, but then it's the same thing. He keep getting out after scoring 10, 12, 15, 20 runs and taking big risks on wrong length and wrong balls. So now they need to get organized. Now they need to see what their strength and weakness is, what they can do and what they can't. And it's a huge opportunity, granted that batting is difficult on these pitches, especially against new balls, but still it was a good start”

“Pakistan had to sacrifice the opening combination of Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam because of Saim Ayub. But this combination played exceptionally well and gave a world record performance. If you don't look at the stats, they have the highest number of 100-run partnerships in T20Is and they also have a good understanding of each other's game. I think that was a critical moment because if Babar got out early or Rizwan got out early, the situation would have become tricky."

Former Pakistan opener Imran Nazir said on a local TV program:

"First of all, we should have prepared a squad that possesses bench strength because we do not have such players. When a particular player performs well at some point, the team should capitalize on that by including that player in the playing XI of the match. There are some players who have been given opportunities but didn’t perform well. I would like to ask why the players are not motivated; they should be motivated to do well."

"Talking about Saim Ayub, he’s a new player and expecting 40 or 50 runs would not be fair to him, especially in a World Cup which itself is so stressful and when the team is performing so poorly. Anyways, that decision was not too bad. The good thing is that Pakistan has at least won one match of the tournament."

"First of all, we should have prepared a squad that possesses bench strength because we do not have such players. When a particular player performs well at some point, the team should capitalize on that by including that player in the playing XI of the match. There are some players who have been given opportunities but didn’t perform well. I would like to ask why the players are not motivated; they should be motivated to do well."

"Talking about Saim Ayub, he’s a new player and expecting 40 or 50 runs would not be fair to him, especially in a World Cup which itself is so stressful and when the team is performing so poorly. Anyways, that decision was not too bad. The good thing is that Pakistan has at least won one match of the tournament."
Problem is saim needs to be tried under actual t20 openers.

Alot of players don't gell well with some, and it's clear saim has not gelled well with rizwan or babar. His best innings would come when batting with fakhar.

After this world up he needs to go back to domestic and work on his weaknesses. Even yesterday he looked utterly useless and couldn’t middle one ball.

Maybe he should start with scoring something over 10 first.

If he does not perform today, I am sure his international career is over.

too raw even if he scores some 30 odd runs if we polish him well for 1 or 2 years he is gonna be come a decent bat

As pathetic as Ayub is baba has done him dirty made him open in 2 useless matches if he fails hel get the chop.. ha ha it’s what you call qurbani ka bakra

Another idiotic dismissal. This guy is completely brainless, reminding me of Haider Ali at this point.

Stop blaming babar for everything. What is wrong with people. I dont remember another debutant being given 30 matvhes with zero performances to show for so young in there career. Heck even haider ali outperformed him thats how bad he has been. There is some talent but he is way too raw atm

There is no fluidity in his game. It is almost like he is waiting for the ball to be on the pads to show off his shot rather than react to the ball.

Said it a long time ago another Haider Ali a flash in the pan won’t last. Just like azam khan another league domestic bully. These Pakistan batsmen can only play 80mph trundlers.

And replaced by who?

Pakistan talent cupboard is bare, he at least has some. When the senior pros look so bad why would you back old and fading players rather than this guy? At least you can reason he might develop into a good player with some experience.
Better he goes now than after doing his career irreparable damage. He definitely has talent but he needs to learn he can’t be a one trick pony in international cricket. League bowlers might let you whack every ball to square leg, international ones won’t. Even if you are the most talented player in the world if you don’t use your brain you will fail. The way he is playing, play him as much as you want he won’t develop into anything.

As to the question of who will replace him, we can try Farhan or Shafique or even bring back Fakhar to open rather than have 5 openers in the team.

Surely it's time to roll down in the dust of domestic cricket
Wapda vs Khan Research Laboratories is calling you

Surely it's time to roll down in the dust of domestic cricket
Wapda vs Khan Research Laboratories is calling you
He has nothing between the ears shot selection non existent. I don't think any sort of first class cricket will help with these problems

Time to drop him.

That's enough chances, he clearly needs more time in domestic cricket. He's talented but that's useless if you won't perform or use your brain.

He has only 15 FC matches under his belt & it shows in his approach. He needs to grind in red ball cricket & focus on his basics. It is too early for these “no-look” shenanigans when he has such poor basics.

You can’t score on these porches playing across the line early on in your innings. Playing across the line brought his down fall. He should go back to domestic and learn to play on merit.

Saim's more deserving than someone like Azam. He did get out, but is showing intent. Decent fielder as well, should be given more opportunities.

He is not challenged enough by these easy peasy international bowlers.

Get him to face the world renowned tough bowlers of PSL and then see the magic.

The no-look cow lashes will keep flowing like there is no other shot to be played.
:inti

Here’s a thought how about the coaching team and his seniors give him a bit of advice, get him in contact with someone like Younis Khan who knows a few things about batting, instead of leaving them out to dry and discarding them like yesterdays rubbish

There’s still something I like about the kid. I wouldn’t give up on him.

I don’t think he’s as brainless as Umar akmal and Haider Ali.

I hope he learns from Fakhar Zaman and puts himself under his wing.

His strike rate wasn’t high but ultimately he always got out going for big shots.

There’s still something I like about the kid. I wouldn’t give up on him.

I don’t think he’s as brainless as Umar akmal and Haider Ali.

I hope he learns from Fakhar Zaman and puts himself under his wing.

His strike rate wasn’t high but ultimately he always got out going for big shots.
He kinda is. He's frequently getting out on the same delivery, Either Skying it in the air or getting out with that legside shot.

Also its clear he lacks test class experience. He hasn't practised many deliveries and doesn't have a solid understanding of the game atm.

Coaching can improve the kid though cause he isn't as egotistical as Umar Akmal

Needs to be groomed under Gary Kirsten. He should be able to get him to address is weaknesses.

PCB announced NOCs for national players and Saim Ayub is not one of them.

I am not sure why he was denied the NOC?

He was doing very well in CPL and PSL. Just didn't click in international cricket. A bit like Azam Khan.

It could be confidence issue. He may not feel confident when he plays international cricket.

He is being played in the wrong format. He performed very well in QEA.. in Test Match cricket and being thrown into slog from start in T20 Cricket. Same treatment as Haider Ali.. Why can't Pakistan develop its young cricketers
@Markhor @topsin @Rana @mominsaigol
Nope. He played more t20s than red-ball cricket. That was a perfect format for him to dominate for Pakistan because he had a good track record in CPL, PSL etc.

He just could not carry the same form to internationals. Proved to be a league bully only.

He was doing very well in CPL and PSL. Just didn't click in international cricket. A bit like Azam Khan.

It could be confidence issue. He may not feel confident when he plays international cricket.
He needs to fix his shot selection most of the times he gets out playing a stupid shot.

TBH if he cant handle pressure then he is not eligible to play International cricket.

Sad to see Pak fans trash upcoming talent so quick. Siam is one of the generational players that should be backed across formats. It’ll pay Pak dividends over the next 15 years

Saim is missing a basic thing and that is temperament. He is talented but trying to look stylish and playing fancy shots every now and then has corrupted his mind. He needs to go back to basics and fix them first. His short ball game is also pretty weak.

He is being played in the wrong format. He performed very well in QEA.. in Test Match cricket and being thrown into slog from start in T20 Cricket. Same treatment as Haider Ali.. Why can't Pakistan develop its young cricketers
@Markhor @topsin @Rana @mominsaigol
Sorry for the late reply, combination of work and illness. That's an age-old question. Two of the main reasons:

1) The massive gap between Pakistan's domestic and international cricket. Not only are international bowlers quicker or more accurate, they're much more game aware. A batsman's weakness is rapidly exposed and ruthlessly targeted.

Pakistani bowlers will feed their strengths. Even the experienced ones are guilty. Take Shadab Khan bowling to Aaron Jones in the USA game. Nearly all of Jones' sixes in his previous game vs Canada came between square and midwicket region. Shadab bowled a fairly tight over (for a change) then literally serves a ball in Jones' arc that goes for six. In a tied match, these little things are so costly.

I don't know how detailed the gameplans are in QEA cricket or how much data-driven opposition analysis is done. It was only Sept 2021 when PCB finally gained access to CricViz's database ! But if a batsman has a weakness more likely than not it'll be exposed in internationals not domestic.

2) Lack of critical thinking. Compare the way even our experienced players talk about the game to someone like Smith, Ashwin or Anderson. Not saying those guys are infallible but it's night and day. Everything is process driven and leave nothing to chance. Pakistan meanwhile is a very superstitious and increasingly conservative society where everything is left to chance. Nerdiness is mocked. Our cricketers are products of that society.

Saqlain's quote from 2022 has become an internet meme, but it's indicative of everything wrong with us. Here's a guy who's played over 200 times for Pakistan, English County legend, and travelled the world as a coach who when asked about Pakistan's defeat attributed it to qudrat ka nizam. If you don't know why you're losing, you're doomed to continue losing. No wonder our young players don't develop.

Back