[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - the real deal or a flash in the pan?

He is being played in the wrong format. He performed very well in QEA.. in Test Match cricket and being thrown into slog from start in T20 Cricket. Same treatment as Haider Ali.. Why can't Pakistan develop its young cricketers
@Markhor @topsin @Rana @mominsaigol
I also apologise, I forgot to reply to this, I was busy last Wednesday my bad.

Now I'll answer.

In the case of Saim Ayub, Unlike Usman Khan he doesn't have any technical issues, So I don't really know what's wrong with him.

He keeps getting out in 2 ways.

A) Skiying it in the air.

B) Getting caught while playing his legsode stroke.

Saim tries to loft literally everything so I still have no clue what is going on and why he's repeating the same mistakes.

And theirs no excuse really. Yes he needs to play more test cricket, however he isn't playing in the wrong format. He is an all format bat.

The kid needs proper coaching, but that won't happen in pakistan cricket.

I also apologise, I forgot to reply to this, I was busy last Wednesday my bad.

Now I'll answer.

In the case of Saim Ayub, Unlike Usman Khan he doesn't have any technical issues, So I don't really know what's wrong with him.

He keeps getting out in 2 ways.

A) Skiying it in the air.

B) Getting caught while playing his legsode stroke.

Saim tries to loft literally everything so I still have no clue what is going on and why he's repeating the same mistakes.

And theirs no excuse really. Yes he needs to play more test cricket, however he isn't playing in the wrong format. He is an all format bat.

The kid needs proper coaching, but that won't happen in pakistan cricket.

Same problem Haider Ali had.

He needs test match cricket. I would prefer him over the 30 somethings.

He needs to rebuild his confidence. I’d love for Gillespie / Kirsten to spend time with him to build up the mental side. He's had poor leadership over the years, but his time has almost run out.

Saim needs to learn that he needs to let go of his ego of playing stylish No-looks shots that end up being his weakness. He is young and talented and probably more talented than any other batter out there atm but he is fading away quickly and it is not good for his own self.

Would it be sensible to replace Saim Ayub after just one Test?
Are you kidding? He should be nowhere near the test team. His game is not suited. He is no Sehwag.

He is a T20 batsman. Though he has stunk it up there too by failing miserably. So currently, he needs to go back to domestic and maybe get a look in for internationals if he does well there.

Would it be sensible to replace Saim Ayub after just one Test?
No he played decently in his first game and deserves a proper run. He's a stroke maker and BD series will be a good opportunity to boost his confidence.
Too long we have dropped players in other formats on the basis of their performance in one format.
Playing tests will develop his game and it can translate into runs in shorter formats

Saim Ayub just doesn't have it in him.

People are trying too hard to have him be fakhar zaman's successor but their isn't a single pakistani batter since saeed Anwar who surpasses fakhar zamam when he's onsong.

All that I see happening is that saim ayub becomes a modern era asad shafiq where he keeps throwing his wicket away and ends up with poor odi stats or at best he becomes a decent 40Avg batter but he is never getting those 180 scores in international cricket.

Ik people don't wish to admit this because the trend is to have bang bang cricketers, but honestly Abdullah shafiq and saud shakeel are better prospects.

Both Abdullah and saud have shown a willingness to improve their sr and both unlike saim have achieved minor success in international with both hitting a test double hundred and in the case of abd a wc century and saud himself has 4 half centuries in odi,

While saim is struggling to hit a half century in any format even if he's up againat Ireland on school boy 60M boundary pitches.

During the media conference, Ayub discussed the flexibility required in his role within the team, he said:

"Player doesn't have control over their role. Whatever role the team management assigns me, I try my best to fulfil it,"

"I have never made any one player my role model. Considering the number of legends we have had, I think it would be unfair to pick just one as a favourite because each one has its own unique qualities. I observe everyone and try to learn from all of them,"

Saim needs to start scoring runs ro earn a place.

His fans have given him way too much Rizwan level leeway because he's aggressive, he's young and attacking and can be a replacement to Fakhar.

People don't understand that Fakhar Scored a match winning century against India which included the likes of Bumrah in a CT final IN HIS 2ND EVER INTERNATIONAL GAME

Afterwards he while inconsistent has frequently scored 180, 150, 210, 193 123 of 70 in a world cup etc etc which makes him an indespicnable assest whereas Saim hasnt done Zilch in international.

and unlike Fakhar he cant hide behind the excuse of put of position as hes gotten his opening role and given plenty of chances in t20 and test and soon maybe ODI.

No one expects him to be some sort of ATG but you'd think in 20+ international games we'd atleast see some sort of brilliance aka a half century or something because he's even played against minnows like Ireland on school boy pitches now

Saim needs to start scoring runs ro earn a place.

His fans have given him way too much Rizwan level leeway because he's aggressive, he's young and attacking and can be a replacement to Fakhar.

People don't understand that Fakhar Scored a match winning century against India which included the likes of Bumrah in a CT final IN HIS 2ND EVER INTERNATIONAL GAME

Afterwards he while inconsistent has frequently scored 180, 150, 210, 193 123 of 70 in a world cup etc etc which makes him an indespicnable assest whereas Saim hasnt done Zilch in international.

and unlike Fakhar he cant hide behind the excuse of put of position as hes gotten his opening role and given plenty of chances in t20 and test and soon maybe ODI.

No one expects him to be some sort of ATG but you'd think in 20+ international games we'd atleast see some sort of brilliance aka a half century or something because he's even played against minnows like Ireland on school boy pitches now
tbh he already had too many chances to prove himself but still couldnt avail any single of them so why wasting more time in hope that his stupid no look shots will work, better to giva a chance to any other eligible candidate who might be waiting in the que for his turn.

tbh he already had too many chances to prove himself but still couldnt avail any single of them so why wasting more time in hope that his stupid no look shots will work, better to giva a chance to any other eligible candidate who might be waiting in the que for his turn.
For t20 yes, not for Test.

He's only had 1 test game. However this Bangladesh series should be his last chance.

This is a pindi road pitch against Bangladesh. If he can't score here and perform like a superstar on a pitch where even Imam ul Haq averages 63, then their is no point to keep him.

For t20 yes, not for Test.

He's only had 1 test game. However this Bangladesh series should be his last chance.

This is a pindi road pitch against Bangladesh. If he can't score here and perform like a superstar on a pitch where even Imam ul Haq averages 63, then their is no point to keep him.
His technique is terrible for red ball cricket. Trust me he will become an even bigger failure if he gets a chance in Test crciket, even on flat highway like wickets.

But yes I agree... give him one last chance against Bangladesh. If he still doesn’t perform it’s time to say a sweet goodbye to him from all sort of cricket and ask him to play domestic and fix his issues.

His technique is terrible for red ball cricket. Trust me he will become an even bigger failure if he gets a chance in Test crciket, even on flat highway like wickets.

But yes I agree... give him one last chance against Bangladesh. If he still doesn’t perform it’s time to say a sweet goodbye to him from all sort of cricket and ask him to play domestic and fix his issues.
Problem is PCB will never pick up saim again which is why people want him to succeed.

Travis head in his early 20's was a complete and utter failure. In fact his offside play was terrible, he was dropped for finch and Warner, But after dominating across the world he got picked up again after finch retired.

Flash forward to today he's is the best offside players in the world and one of the best legside players with a lethal pull shot.

CA did not care about past failures. They saw him top the charts and said give him a go again. That's how they operate, if you are currently the best you get in, the moment some one better comes then bye bye.

That's not the case with PCB where as long as you're in kahoots with someone you get free rides like shan masood or Rizwan whereas players who have no connections will be dropped and never see the light of day again.

If saim fails then he's gone unless he's in kahoots with someone, It wouldn't matter if he performs in domestic again. But I guarantee you this is not the end of Imam ul Haq and he'll find a way to get selected again somehow

There was literally no need for 4 openers. Shan, Abdullah and Huraira were already there. Saim has done nothing to justify his selection. He is all hyped-up selection.

I would play huraira ahead of him who is more solid batter than him in longer formats.

Who are them players who are waiting in the que in t20s ?

number of players we have

for instance Tayyab Tahir, Kamran Ghulam, Rohail Nazir, Mohammad Huraira and list goes on

they all are talented but still not given any chance yet
Saud shakeel can open in t20 lol.

As long as he's given a proper opening batsmen like fakhar Zaman.

People are too obsessed with big hitting. The whole babar and rizwan drama is because Babar's form has plummeted off a cliff and if you want someone to bat through, Rizwan is not your man to do that.

lo bhui!

Mr no look couldnt even score against Bnagladesh A side and got out cheaply just after scoring 11 runs

dont know why this special lad is keep getting chances.

lo bhui!

Mr no look couldnt even score against Bnagladesh A side and got out cheaply just after scoring 11 runs

dont know why this special lad is keep getting chances.
Tbh idk, I can only think of 4 reasons.

No 1: Babar and rizwan are using him as a ploy to justify why they should open in t20.

No 2: Pcb thinks he's a natural successor to Fakhar which is stupid considering fakhar scored 114 against an attack which included bumrah on English den in his very 2nd innings of his career.

No 3: Shan as a test captain sees something in him, idk what he sees but he clearly is advocating for him over Imam who granted Imam is poor but so far had been superior to Saim atleast.

No 4: Pcb is just an idiot and it's another brain fade moment, which isn't a suprise. Stranger things have happened such as Muhammad Irfan making a return in 2020

Tbh idk, I can only think of 4 reasons.

No 1: Babar and rizwan are using him as a ploy to justify why they should open in t20.

No 2: Pcb thinks he's a natural successor to Fakhar which is stupid considering fakhar scored 114 against an attack which included bumrah on English den in his very 2nd innings of his career.

No 3: Shan as a test captain sees something in him, idk what he sees but he clearly is advocating for him over Imam who granted Imam is poor but so far had been superior to Saim atleast.

No 4: Pcb is just an idiot and it's another brain fade moment, which isn't a suprise. Stranger things have happened such as Muhammad Irfan making a return in 2020
Point number 1 and 4 are more relevant!

Point number 1 and 4 are more relevant!
Yeah I agree, but point no 2 connects with point no 4.

I do know they want saim to be a younger fakhar zaman, but the gulf between these 2 is enormous.

An onsong fakhar is 2nd only to saeed anwar in terms of batting prowess and even then hes way more destructive then Saeed ever was, While an offsong Fakhar is a tail ender.

Meanwhile Saim onsong seems to just have 40 runs as his max limit and offsong he's an even worse tail ender then fakhar.

He never even flashed at international level not even once , may be he is not the flash in the pan but the pan itself.

Saim should have been sent back to domestics or with shaheens to polish his skills. His international campaign has been a disappointment so far. Hyped too much but failed when it mattered the most. He is a good player but just not there to succeed against the top quality sides.

Saim should have been sent back to domestics or with shaheens to polish his skills. His international campaign has been a disappointment so far. Hyped too much but failed when it mattered the most. He is a good player but just not there to succeed against the top quality sides.
Unfortunately he isn't.

If he was he wouldn't fail on pitches and bowling attacks where even Azam Khan can strike at 300, and babar can hit 4 Sixes in an over lol.

No reason to keep him in t20 atm. This test series should be his last opportunity to cement himself in the test squad

Unfortunately he isn't.

If he was he wouldn't fail on pitches and bowling attacks where even Azam Khan can strike at 300, and babar can hit 4 Sixes in an over lol.

No reason to keep him in t20 atm. This test series should be his last opportunity to cement himself in the test squad
He should not play test matches ahead of the likes of Huraira or Abdullah. He is nowhere in the team atm.

Saim Ayub will feature in the 1st Test against Bangladesh on August 21. How do you guys see this decision with guys like Kamran Ghulam nowhere in sight?

Here is my question on the title of this thread. Where is the flash? I am looking at his stats, there is no flash. Just a pan.

Saim Ayub will feature in the 1st Test against Bangladesh on August 21. How do you guys see this decision with guys like Kamran Ghulam nowhere in sight?
Strange decision by the management. I dont see him progressing in red ball cricket with his playing style

he is better suited for galli mohalla cricket, not an international material.

Not surprised if he’s playing tests. Management were absolutely desperate on getting him performing. They didn’t anticipate he would fail this much.

They’ll want to salvage something from this. If Saim at least performs in tests, that’ll bode well in the future and he can come back to the other formats. A bit like Abdullah.

What they are scared of is that after a fairly long run of failures in international cricket, he’ll lose confidence, go back to domestic and as a result lose form there. Like what happened to Haider Ali and haris.

We debuted him when he was not ready and too early. We already had alternatives in fakhar and Usman khan. Yet we got greedy and wanted to produce the next big thing in time for the World Cup. Was just way too much pressure for the guy when he wasn’t ready yet. Maybe this Bangladesh test series might work out better at there’s a lot less pressure than before.

Not surprised if he’s playing tests. Management were absolutely desperate on getting him performing. They didn’t anticipate he would fail this much.

They’ll want to salvage something from this. If Saim at least performs in tests, that’ll bode well in the future and he can come back to the other formats. A bit like Abdullah.

What they are scared of is that after a fairly long run of failures in international cricket, he’ll lose confidence, go back to domestic and as a result lose form there. Like what happened to Haider Ali and haris.

We debuted him when he was not ready and too early. We already had alternatives in fakhar and Usman khan. Yet we got greedy and wanted to produce the next big thing in time for the World Cup. Was just way too much pressure for the guy when he wasn’t ready yet. Maybe this Bangladesh test series might work out better at there’s a lot less pressure than before.
Pak batters will never get ready playing domestic cricket even for years , it’s the correct strategy to bring a highly skilled batter and hope that after facing quality bowlers he will adapt and become a useful batter , they did right with Saim but unfortunately Saim is just not talented enough to adapt. But he is still more talented then Haider and Haris , still there is hope that he will make it big.

Name me a single successful pak batter who is a product of domestic cricket? They all get picked from U19 and a season of domestic cricket and A tour , this should be the approach now as well. We should try 4/5 U19 talented batters and hope that 1 or 2 will adapt to international cricket.

Btw 2024 is the year to remember where no delusional fan is asking for some uncapped prodigy to be debut for national side , sad times indeed. Cub board is at all time low.

Let's hope the lad stops the brand creating rubbish and bats positively but sensibly. IA he becomes the player we are desperate for.

Saim Ayub is the truth. The most talented and class batter to emerge from Pakistan after Umer Amin.
I read a report that Paul Pierce personally took an interest in training Saim after meeting him in NYC during the WC. Pierce is going to turn Saim into a killaaaah!

I read a report that Paul Pierce personally took an interest in training Saim after meeting him in NYC during the WC. Pierce is going to turn Saim into a killaaaah!
You sure you read the report correctly or is it the Saim who will be training Paul Pierce?

I'm not sure what Shan is thinking here by playing this guy AGAIN. After below-average performances in recent times, he is still in the team. LOL

I am not in the favor of this guy being in the Playing 11.

I'm not sure what Shan is thinking here by playing this guy AGAIN. After below-average performances in recent times, he is still in the team. LOL

I am not in the favor of this guy being in the Playing 11.
it is indeed sad times when we have no young upcoming batter , we are trying hard for Saim to become Babar's successor. And the worst thing is Saim is still probably 10X better than all U23 batters we have currently.

it is indeed sad times when we have no young upcoming batter , we are trying hard for Saim to become Babar's successor. And the worst thing is Saim is still probably 10X better than all U23 batters we have currently.
Huraira was the guy they should have played. He is coming in hot from domestics and has been consistent as well. Technically sound.

Saim on the other hand is pretty rusty and still has a lot to improve.

Huraira was the guy they should have played. He is coming in hot from domestics and has been consistent as well. Technically sound.

Saim on the other hand is pretty rusty and still has a lot to improve.
Agreed but they must have seen something bad in Huraira which made them held his debut. Last time I saw him against Zim pacers on a pitch with some bounce and movement he was made to look like tailender by them.

On the other hand Saim always looks in command while batting against any bowler he has faced so far and even in Aus debut he looked good and right at home against Aus pacers.

Agreed but they must have seen something bad in Huraira which made them held his debut. Last time I saw him against Zim pacers on a pitch with some bounce and movement he was made to look like tailender by them.
It's actually a good idea to held Huraira debut on a green Pindi pitch , more likely than not he will fail as his technique is not good enough against bounce and movement. Better to give him debut in some batter friendly condition so that he can score big and get confidence at the start of his career or let him play at number 4 or 5 where the conditions are easier to bat and we know his concentration levels and ability to play big innings are good.

It's actually a good idea to held Huraira debut on a green Pindi pitch , more likely than not he will fail as his technique is not good enough against bounce and movement. Better to give him debut in some batter friendly condition so that he can score big and get confidence at the start of his career or let him play at number 4 or 5 where the conditions are easier to bat and we know his concentration levels and ability to play big innings are good.
Why get into the habit of protecting players?

This is International cricket. International players play on all sorts of pitches.

If hurraira can't play on certain types of wickets and pakistan is hiding him for that reason then he should just pull a sami aslam and depart into an associate team.

Their should not be any excuse to duck him

Shan Masood shared his thoughts on importance of Saim Ayub in a presser before 1st Test against Bangladesh:

“In the case of Saim Ayub, look, whoever played the last test match showed potential in the second innings. As a team you have to give a message about continuity, who played the last test match and showed good form, our effort is to back players. Whenever we bring someone into the team, give them a chance, a fair go so that when they play, they get at least a fair opportunity. And we are trying to implement this with Saim Ayub, and he's in good touch.”

Why get into the habit of protecting players?

This is International cricket. International players play on all sorts of pitches.

If hurraira can't play on certain types of wickets and pakistan is hiding him for that reason then he should just pull a sami aslam and depart into an associate team.

Their should not be any excuse to duck him
You haven’t see Huraira play on bouncy pitch with some movement haven’t you? He is pretty much a walking wicket in such conditions, why destroy his confidence at the start of his career?

You haven’t see Huraira play on bouncy pitch with some movement haven’t you? He is pretty much a walking wicket in such conditions, why destroy his confidence at the start of his career?
I have seen him and My point is if he's a walking wicket on such pitches then what's the point of playing him?

This is International cricket where you'll encounter all sorts of pitches.

Theirs a reason why babar and chacha despite performing on that stupid Nepal curated pitch failed miserably in wc 2023 and the following cups after

Lucky guy, anyone else would not have gotten the amount of chances he has received.

Saim is also a walking wicket TBH. His temperance in internationals got exposed badly in recent times.

Yeah, Shan talked about continuity but Saim was fast-tracked in red ball, and that too on the Australia tour which has not done any wonders to his confidence. He will be feeling pressure even more that he ahs to perform at home now with Huraira waiting to replace him.

Saim needs to seize these opportunities with both hands. These Test performances will also help develop his game in the shorter formats.

Saim gets his first 50 of the Test career at home. Looked nervous in the start but now looking in total control.
He's playing all around and looking in good rhythm to get his maiden Test century

1wFBbaF.jpg

Alot of people were passing some nonsensical comments despite the fact that he has literally played one test match, which is not enough to judge anyone. But apparently T20 form = test form according to some posters. If some people actually bothered to look up his QeA Trophy numbers or the fact that he scored a double ton in the final then maybe they could have understood why he was selected.

Anyway, humble pie was served because he played a very good innings under pressure.

He looks good at the crease and batted sensibly for the bits I saw. Once you get a 50, you are set and should be looking to go big. He didn't and that is a failure on his part

He had a century there for the taking, but one loose shot. He has all the ingredients, but if he can get the temperament of someone like Younis to go big whenever past 30, he can be a good long-term prospect for Tests and ODIs.

Promise i wont criticise Saim Ayub atleast for a month now.. what a great inning he played on a tough track!
A great innings is a 100, this wasnt . The lad looks the part but once the hard work was done, he had to go on. IA we have a guy that gets the balance right between attack and defense

Decent counterattacking knock and hopefully the turning point in Saim's international career. That six off Miraz was the highlight for me.

Dismissal was disappointing - but when we ask our young batters to bat freely you have to accept they'll get it wrong sometimes.

A great innings is a 100, this wasnt . The lad looks the part but once the hard work was done, he had to go on. IA we have a guy that gets the balance right between attack and defense
From 16/3 it will be considered great support by him, given his playing style and the form he was coming from.

From 16/3 it will be considered great support by him, given his playing style and the form he was coming from.
Yes and no. He played really well but once he got in, he has to look to score a 100. Because our expectations are low, we accept 50s too easily. If this was a young Ind batsman eg Jaiswal he would have gone on. Saim must raise his expectations, he is a real talent

Decent counterattacking knock and hopefully the turning point in Saim's international career. That six off Miraz was the highlight for me.

Dismissal was disappointing - but when we ask our young batters to bat freely you have to accept they'll get it wrong sometimes.
If he plays so consistently then could really become next Pakistan legend.

Back