Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
00nike2.jpg
00nike7.jpg

00nike5.jpg
00nike4.jpg

My Nike Air Zoom Century Cricket Shoes full spikes but can be made half spike by replacing bottom spike with rubber studs.

Last edited:
Majid_V3 said:
00nike2.jpg
00nike7.jpg

00nike5.jpg
00nike4.jpg

My Nike Air Zoom Century Cricket Shoes full spikes but are convertible to half rubber/spikes
Majid Bhai they look awesome!! they are very nice!! I hope they last really long. Majid Bhai these are the same ones Umar Gul and Shshid Afridi use, right?

Also Majid Bhai how are they in terms of comfort?

They are really comfortable and more suitable for batting after i made them half spike. I've rarely used spikes but these are the best I've ever tried. I've not used them yet in a match yet. I've tried adidas but they are not as comfy as nikes.

Majid_V3 said:
They are really comfortable and more suitable for batting after i made them half spike. I've rarely used spikes but these are the best I've ever tried. I've not used them yet in a match yet. I've tried adidas but they are not as comfy as nikes.
Ahh okay. That sounds great. I really like those shoes.

Uhmm InshALLAH in future I will consider buying them

Lol I offered him £80 (later he said it is £90 posted to Canada). He did not agree so I passed them

Majid_V3 said:

My Nike Air Zoom Century Cricket Shoes full spikes but can be made half spike by replacing bottom spike with rubber studs.[/QUOTE]

Those rubber studs came with the shoes? I doubt it but I may be wrong.
Seems like they are bought off the market and look like golf studs.
Good quality cricket rubber studs are usually sold by Gray Nicolls and I guess they are under $10.00.

srry dude, forgot to report to u, yea bought it, thanks to u i kno i got the right thing. Awesome bat Mashallah, got some performances in already, biggest one yet is when my team was 34-7 and i got them to 150 in a recently concluded tournament, it was a 18 over match. We won in the last over by 5 runs!!!

pakistanichamp said:
srry dude, forgot to report to u, yea bought it, thanks to u i kno i got the right thing. Awesome bat Mashallah, got some performances in already, biggest one yet is when my team was 34-7 and i got them to 150 in a recently concluded tournament, it was a 18 over match. We won in the last over by 5 runs!!!
Ahh no worries. Great to hear that.

How is the bat? I mean do you mind shedding light on Hero range? How is the sweetspot? How does it pings? etc

Got any pictures?

Uncle Sam it does not look great for a Original Limited Edition bat. I mean I would expect RULER straight grains. Not very pleased with GM's grading system..

Cover Drive said:
Ahh no worries. Great to hear that.

How is the bat? I mean do you mind shedding light on Hero range? How is the sweetspot? How does it pings? etc

Got any pictures?

Bat has a distinct feel, the pick up is good, and generates a high bat speed, has thick edges, has a huge sweet spot ( i might be exaggerating but i feel im hitting off the middle every time), i enjoy driving the ball, the sound off the bat is great, has a comfortable grip.

unfortunately i dont have any pics as of yet!!!:(
will post soon if i remember to do so!!

pakistanichamp said:
Bat has a distinct feel, the pick up is good, and generates a high bat speed, has thick edges, has a huge sweet spot ( i might be exaggerating but i feel im hitting off the middle every time), i enjoy driving the ball, the sound off the bat is great, has a comfortable grip.

unfortunately i dont have any pics as of yet!!!:(
will post soon if i remember to do so!!
Sounds great. I would say GM bats does have long sweetspots.

By the way, which one was it? Hero Original or Original Limited Edition?

Do post pictures when you can

Cover Drive said:
Uncle Sam it does not look great for a Original Limited Edition bat. I mean I would expect RULER straight grains. Not very pleased with GM's grading system..

Are you surprised at all?
Willow Quality Assurance becomes automatically low standard when bats are produced on mass scale and marketing gimmicks are flashy stickers and use of Superior tags like "Limited Edition", Super Power, macho man, Tarzan etc.

Some manufactures do care about their off the self product, like Newbery, but your best bet to get a high end bat is always have it custom made and seek to see the cleft before the bat is whittled.

Cover Drive said:
Uncle Sam you are still after Mongoose CoR3 custom?

Good Luck finding one..

Yeah man, half heartedly negotiating on the price with one of the two sellers as I am looking for a used one to make sure not to spend more than £120.00

One of em is asking 170 while the other wants 200.00 (both are brand new)... the new Custom Pro retails over 250.00 + Plus shipping

Uncle Sam said:
Are you surprised at all?
Willow Quality Assurance becomes automatically low standard when bats are produced on mass scale and marketing gimmicks are flashy stickers and use of Superior tags like "Limited Edition", Super Power, macho man, Tarzan etc.

Some manufactures do care about their off the self product, like Newbery, but your best bet to get a high end bat is always have it custom made and seek to see the cleft before the bat is whittled.
You nailed it there Uncle Sam!! Quality is certainly depreciating when products are being produced at mass scale

Uhmm in that case which bat makers would you suggest? The ones that come in my mind are Vantage, Redback, Newbery and Solitaire. Can't think of anyone else at the moment. But what's your output?

Uncle Sam said:
Yeah man, half heartedly negotiating on the price with one of the two sellers as I am looking for a used one to make sure not to spend more than £120.00

One of em is asking 170 while the other wants 200.00 (both are brand new)... the new Custom Pro retails over 250.00 + Plus shipping
Ahh man. I reckon in few more months the prices will you up a bit. I mean cricket season is not far so one can except the prices to rise a bit. I would say if you even have to pay few more quids then go for it. If not then try to make a deal on more than one piece and if there is a good market in your area then selll one. Buying two would probably become a bit cheaper than buying one

Cover Drive said:
You nailed it there Uncle Sam!! Quality is certainly depreciating when products are being produced at mass scale

Uhmm in that case which bat makers would you suggest? The ones that come in my mind are Vantage, Redback, Newbery and Solitaire. Can't think of anyone else at the moment. But what's your output?

I really liek Newbury bats.....by far one of the best that I have played with!

Uncle Sam said:
Those rubber studs came with the shoes? I doubt it but I may be wrong.
Seems like they are bought off the market and look like golf studs.
Good quality cricket rubber studs are usually sold by Gray Nicolls and I guess they are under $10.00.

yh the rubber studs come with the shoes (pack of eight is included) with these nike shoes i bought but am not sure about the other nike models.

Last edited:
xkalibur80 said:
I really liek Newbury bats.....by far one of the best that I have played with!

No doubt that Newbery holds a genuinely good reputation in Cricket world but just the name is not enough. Believe me, the first ever Newbery I picked was a Series 1 (which of course is not a high end thing) but man ... an absolute plank.

Uncle Sam said:
No doubt that Newbery holds a genuinely good reputation in Cricket world but just the name is not enough. Believe me, the first ever Newbery I picked was a Series 1 (which of course is not a high end thing) but man ... an absolute plank.
How did that bat go though?

Uhmm heard loads of good stuff in regards to Newbery. Looks like my next bat will be Newbery InshALLAH

Rizwan25 said:
Uncle Sam, are you from NY?

Lived in NY for about 6 years, moved to Midwest and lived here for another 6 years,,,, and then.... jitho di khoti, uthay aa khaloti ... moving again to NY this summer.

Uncle Sam said:
Lived in NY for about 6 years, moved to Midwest and lived here for another 6 years,,,, and then.... jitho di khoti, uthay aa khaloti ... moving again to NY this summer.

Uncle Sam - off topic question....I am coming to NYC this weekend, any recommendations on where to stay, visit etc.

You can email me at ohussain@sympatico.ca

Thanking you in advance.

Cover Drive said:
WhIch one did you play with?

Can't remember now but I think it was Uzi....could be wrong though.

The guy who has it practices with us so I will check it out next week.

Uncle Sam said:
Off topic: Are you Punjabi?

xkalibur80 said:
Can't remember now but I think it was Uzi....could be wrong though.

The guy who has it practices with us so I will check it out next week.
Ohh okay. One of my (err old club mate) had UZI so I always wanted to play with it. But was always shy to ask for it. Later the bat broke...loll

xkalibur80 said:
Uncle Sam - off topic question....I am coming to NYC this weekend, any recommendations on where to stay, visit etc.

You can email me at ohussain@sympatico.ca

Thanking you in advance.

yeah I mean, I dunno if Statue of Liberty is open to public at this point, otherwise u gotta see it from inside at least once in a life time if you haven't seen it yet.... other places are 42nd street Time square, Empire state... and it may sound crazy but my personal favorite is walk on the Brooklyn bridge on a pleasant day.

Stay wise, it's up to your budget but haven't u already arrange a place to stay if you are visiting next week?

Cover Drive said:
Off topic: Are you Punjabi?

My mother tongue is Hindko .... Pretty much same as Punjabi.
It's the language of actual native residents of Peshawar. Many people don't know about it as only a small minority of Hindko speakers is left after flood gates of Pathan immigration opened on Peshawar city in 1965.

Uncle Sam said:
yeah I mean, I dunno if Statue of Liberty is open to public at this point, otherwise u gotta see it from inside at least once in a life time if you haven't seen it yet.... other places are 42nd street Time square, Empire state... and it may sound crazy but my personal favorite is walk on the Brooklyn bridge on a pleasant day.

Stay wise, it's up to your budget but haven't u already arrange a place to stay if you are visiting next week?

We like to run last minute missions....still trying to get a deal on hotels but way too pricey!!!

Uncle Sam said:
My mother tongue is Hindko .... Pretty much same as Punjabi.
It's the language of actual native residents of Peshawar. Many people don't know about it as only a small minority of Hindko speakers is left after flood gates of Pathan immigration opened on Peshawar city in 1965.
Ohh okay. Didn't knew that. In fact, I hardly know anything about Pakistans history.

So I would assume the accent is different between Hindko and Punjabi, right? Pretty much like Britains English and States?

Are Hindko's Punjabi Pathans?

xkalibur80 said:
We like to run last minute missions....still trying to get a deal on hotels but way too pricey!!!

If u r renting a car and ideally not traveling with the family then there is an option of not booking a hotel at this time. Get into the car and drive around a bit to find out that hotels and motels are penny a pound in New York and many of them are not available thru internet booking. You can easily shop around for a good deal. I did it last time and stayed at decent place for $69.99 double occupancy room, a deal that I could not find anywhere on the internet. They even negotiate on the price.

Cover Drive said:
Ohh okay. Didn't knew that. In fact, I hardly know anything about Pakistans history.

So I would assume the accent is different between Hindko and Punjabi, right? Pretty much like Britains English and States?

Are Hindko's Punjabi Pathans?

There isn't a whole a lot of difference between punjabi and hindko accent but surely, Hindko speakers are not pathans. There is a difference of day and night. Hindko speakers are called "Peshawaries"in urdu.... and in Hindko and Punjabi, they are called "Pishori".

Cover Drive said:
Usman Bhai are you getting Salix? I mean what did Prodirect say?

Yeah
prodirect's status reveals that they have picked the bat, now next step I guess will be shipping.

Uncle Sam said:
If u r renting a car and ideally not traveling with the family then there is an option of not booking a hotel at this time. Get into the car and drive around a bit to find out that hotels and motels are penny a pound in New York and many of them are not available thru internet booking. You can easily shop around for a good deal. I did it last time and stayed at decent place for $69.99 double occupancy room, a deal that I could not find anywhere on the internet. They even negotiate on the price.

Can you send me the name of this place please?

Uncle Sam said:

What part of NY you planning to movin in? I will be looking forward to buy a bat from your classic collection if you would let me :)

xkalibur80 said:

Yar Uncle Sam is right, You should spend sometime finding a cheaper place that is not listed online or you can do camping in Central park as the weather is really nice in NYC :).

Last edited:
usman_ash14 said:
Yeah
prodirect's status reveals that they have picked the bat, now next step I guess will be shipping.
Ohh okay. Shipping would take less than 3 days I reckon as it will be coming through courier

Cover Drive said:
Ohh okay. Shipping would take less than 3 days I reckon as it will be coming through courier

On their site, it says that shipping outside UK will take 7-10 days.
They have slow service, not only with shipping but getting the item to ship has been slow too.
I ordered it on friday and now it's tuesday, the bat hasn't been shipped yet.

usman_ash14 said:
On their site, it says that shipping outside UK will take 7-10 days.
They have slow service, not only with shipping but getting the item to ship has been slow too.
I ordered it on friday and now it's tuesday, the bat hasn't been shipped yet.
Thats true. I have heard similar things about them in the past as well. I have ordered stuff from Kitbag (but got it shipped in UK) and man it was QUICK!! I might ordered thigh pads and arm guard from prodirect but shipping for those three items is around $50 loll

Cover Drive said:
Thats true. I have heard similar things about them in the past as well. I have ordered stuff from Kitbag (but got it shipped in UK) and man it was QUICK!! I might ordered thigh pads and arm guard from prodirect but shipping for those three items is around $50 loll

yeah this site really isn't for us north american people if we are looking to buy anything but the high end bat.

usman_ash14 said:
yeah this site really isn't for us north american people if we are looking to buy anything but the high end bat.
Agreed. For other bits like thigh pads, arm guard etc I think Muqueem Sports based in US is good. And there is a guy in Alberta (I believe) he has good stuff as well. But problem with them is that they ask too much for it

Cover Drive said:
Agreed. For other bits like thigh pads, arm guard etc I think Muqueem Sports based in US is good. And there is a guy in Alberta (I believe) he has good stuff as well. But problem with them is that they ask too much for it

That's because these guys in north america don't have much competition, so they set their price without thinking twice, plus they have to import everything and to make profit they have to set the price higher.

usman_ash14 said:
That's because these guys in north america don't have much competition, so they set their price without thinking twice, plus they have to import everything and to make profit they have to set the price higher.
Make sense but these stores hardly even have sale which will grab costomers.

By the way, has your AS V3 been shipped?

xkalibur80 said:

I guess it was Super 8 at 139-01 Jamaica Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11435
I just drove around a bit after getting off at JFK. Call them at (718) 658-1866, and see what kinda price they could negotiate. Breakfast and high speed internet is always included in the price.
There are many others all over the place.

Rizwan25 said:
What part of NY you planning to movin in? I will be looking forward to buy a bat from your classic collection if you would let me :)

It's probably gonna be Forest Hills to target P.S. 196 Grand Central Parkway School for kids, or somewhere off of Grand Central and 164th Street to target Al-Mamur Islamic school. Looking for a 2 bed apartment these days which is not easy to do over the internet.
Hopefully I will move back to the laid back luxury Midwest life in a year.

Bats wise .. trust me, I sold my last bat, Slazenger "The Don" a couple of weeks ago and do not have anything accept for the custom made hybrid that I plan to use this summer. That 'Don' was some bat, and I don't recommend to play with a $600 bat on our level of cricket. The guy who bought it plays professional cricket in Sydney.

Uncle Sam said:
It's probably gonna be Forest Hills to target P.S. 196 Grand Central Parkway School for kids, or somewhere off of Grand Central and 164th Street to target Al-Mamur Islamic school. Looking for a 2 bed apartment these days which is not easy to do over the internet.

Bats wise .. trust me, I sold my last bat, Slazenger "The Don" a couple of weeks ago and do not have anything accept for the custom made hybrid that I plan to use this summer. That 'Don' was some bat, and I don't recommend to play with a $600 bat on our level of cricket. The guy who bought it plays professional cricket in Sydney.
Who is he sponsored by? I mean will he sticker it up?

Cover Drive said:
Who is he sponsored by? I mean will he sticker it up?

I don't know who is he sponsored by but I doubt if he takes off the stickers... the bat is more like a collectors' item than being taken to the ground.... but it's his now, he can do whatever he wants with it.

Uncle Sam said:
I don't know who is he sponsored by but I doubt if he takes off the stickers... the bat is more like a collectors' item than being taken to the ground.... but it's his now, he can do whatever he wants with it.
Make sense. Just out of coriosity where do you list them? Ebay?

Also what bat(s) do you have at the moment? And are on verge of getting..

Uncle Sam said:

I used to live right across from Mamoor Islamic School or Jamaica Muslim center and enjoyed tthe bajamaat namaz there for quite a long time. Anyways, Forest hill is also a great neighborhood but its really expensive as one bedroom would be around 1400 to 1600 a month. I hope you remember all the crown fried chickens on hillside ave :)

Yeah so let's practice in summer, there is a indoor nets the opened up near JFK and is packed all the time since he has only 3 nets in there.

Yeah man ... the rent in Forest Hills is like a knife twist in the misery ... and real estate prices makes u wonder what kinda people live in New York and how in the world could they afford such houses .... i mean ordinary third class houses have jaw dropping prices.......
a five bedroom 3½ bath house that I own here in one of the nation's cleanest and safest neighborhood with one of the nation's biggest mosque and nations best Islamic school will perhaps cost $2 million in new york... over here, I paid $250K 6 years ago.

Really, New York life may have it's fun but I must say, there is another picture of American Life if u live in Midwest.

Whats the reputation of Al mamoor school? I just gathered some basic stuff off the internet ... plz provide your feedback.

Uncle Sam said:
Yeah man ... the rent in Forest Hills is like a knife twist in the misery ... and real estate prices makes u wonder what kinda people live in New York and how in the world could they afford such houses .... i mean ordinary third class houses have jaw dropping prices.......
a five bedroom 3½ bath house that I own here in one of the nation's cleanest and safest neighborhood with one of the nation's biggest mosque and nations best Islamic school will perhaps cost $2 million in new york... over here, I paid $250K 6 years ago.

Really, New York life may have it's fun but I must say, there is another picture of American Life if u live in Midwest.

250Ks would get you a studio appt here in NY, in an avg neighborhood. Its really expensive to live in NY but you don't feel it much until you go out of town.

As long as JMC school is concern, I have only heard good things about it. They have school in the morning and Madarsa after that. You can also put your kids in the Hafiz program as every years 5 to 10 kids become hafiz and they have a little ceremony for them. By the way their school is registered with NYS board of education and I think I goes up to junior high now but I am not quite sure but if you want I can find out for you so let me know.

Last edited:
^^ I guess that's sufficient enough. Thanks for your help and feedback. May Allah reward you a richly return. Ameen

Regarding the indoor cricket... I happen to check out their website a few nights ago and did not know it was such a huge success. I wonder if there is a business opportunity here and one can open a better and bigger place since there is a lot of potential in NY?

There is a lot of potential in this business if you are planning to open one as this guy charges 45 dollars an hour and charges 5 to 10 dollars for balls. He sells a lot of cricket supplies and people get their club shirts made and stuff. The most shocking part is, he is located in the junkyard neighborhood so his rent must be real low and I have heard people drive down from other borough to practice there. When I went I saw a lot of jamaican kids playing their along with some pakistanis. He's got a bowling machine as well and charges around 45 to 50 dollars for that.

If you have experience and have enough connections I would say you should give it a shot.

Even here there is alot of potential in opening a cricket store along nets for practice. Over here it is $20 per hour for a net (without bowling machine) on weekdays whereas it is $5 extra for weekend. And if you want bowling machine it is $5 on top of that. The place where my old club practice is making mad bucks! I mean he has four nets and they are wide. Plus if you sell two-three bats a month I would say you make enough that it cover your electricity cost (lol)

Rizwan25 said:
There is a lot of potential in this business if you are planning to open one as this guy charges 45 dollars an hour and charges 5 to 10 dollars for balls. He sells a lot of cricket supplies and people get their club shirts made and stuff. The most shocking part is, he is located in the junkyard neighborhood so his rent must be real low and I have heard people drive down from other borough to practice there. When I went I saw a lot of jamaican kids playing their along with some pakistanis. He's got a bowling machine as well and charges around 45 to 50 dollars for that.

If you have experience and have enough connections I would say you should give it a shot.
My old club president used to drive over 50+ km to come all the way for practice

If there is a demand for a certain product I don't think you need much of experience. You will gain experience over you jump in the pool. Otherwise you will never learn anything. NY is really populated city and there are lots of people who play cricket. And at the moment there is only one place which has indoor. Having two in one city will be really good. I know two indoors who are one street away from each other and both are making good money.

Uncle Sam said:
CD how does this look for a 2.11.... it has about 8 grains but slightly slanted..

F***!! Thats HUGE!!!

Is it G1 or G2? Also this is not real Fusion. Isn't it stickered?

Honestly for 2.11 it looks amazing!! Where is it?

i'm not sure who it is - you can email me and tell me who. I'll tell you what i think .

nice bat Majid...wud u mind telling us where did u get it and how much?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back