Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually asked AS Sports to model a new bat based on T20 style bats that are getting popular by the day and be the first óne in Pakistan. I guess they need some time to review the design and test the Quality and performance. They have quoted one of this kinda custom made (experimental) bat for $160.00 in G1 delivered to USA.
I have put that order on hold for now as I kinda think that there master bat maker might mess the balance in an effort to achieve over 40 mm in 2.10 in an inch shorter bat length, and I might end up buying a bottom heavy bat that may look like a 9 month pregnant woman.

Uncle Sam said:
what's the yellow spot on the outer edge just under Ignite sticker?
Seems like someone has used it a lot in nets only. Looks good nonetheless. What kinda financial damage did it inflict upon u?
The bat has a tiny blemish on the edge. But I have tested the bat today and its unbelievably good and it seems like its only goin to last 4/5 matches more. I got the bat free bcoz am friends with that notts player. He told me he uses original gray nicolls in the nets but in matches he sometimes gets MB malik custom made bats 4rm sialkot. Another player Usman Afzaal was practicing at trent bride he had the most brilliant CA bats ever. I've compared the Gray Nicolls bat to some of my bats and the ping on my SF, SG & GM is just as good. GN bat has perfect balance and feather light pick and some of my bats are touch heavier but ping on my bats is better becuase they are newer and GN is used a lot. The GN must have had better ping when it was new.

Inshallah tomorow I'll be testing the GN bat to hit sixes. I'll see how far I can hit the ball with this bat. I think I should be able to hit big sixes really easily.

Uncle Sam said:
I actually asked AS Sports to model a new bat based on T20 style bats that are getting popular by the day and be the first óne in Pakistan. I guess they need some time to review the design and test the Quality and performance. They have quoted one of this kinda custom made (experimental) bat for $160.00 in G1 delivered to USA.
I have put that order on hold for now as I kinda think that there master bat maker might mess the balance in an effort to achieve over 40 mm in 2.10 in an inch shorter bat length, and I might end up buying a bottom heavy bat that may look like a 9 month pregnant woman.
$160 for a T20 bat is awesome and more importantly you are the first bat maker in Pakistan to do that. I mean Usman Bhai paid around $152 CAD for AS V3 so it sounds quite good.

Do you by any chance know how long will it take?

If they get 40 mm in 2.10 or less then it will be something even more impressive

Hahah Majid Bhai! Yaar your SF bat might be a good one to hit sixes as it has lots of meat. I believe one should have each kind of bat and he would use them depending on match situation

Majid_V3 said:
The bat has a tiny blemish on the edge. But I have tested the bat today and its unbelievably good and it seems like its only goin to last 4/5 matches more. I got the bat free bcoz am friends with that notts player. He told me he uses original gray nicolls in the nets but in matches he sometimes gets MB malik custom made bats 4rm sialkot. Another player Usman Afzaal was practicing at trent bride he had the most brilliant CA bats ever. I've compared the Gray Nicolls bat to some of my bats and the ping on my SF, SG & GM is just as good. GN bat has perfect balance and feather light pick and some of my bats are touch heavier but ping on my bats is better becuase they are newer and GN is used a lot. The GN must have had better ping when it was new.
Do you know Rizwan Cheema? He gets custom made bats made from MB Malik as well

Yh I've heard of him. Lots of pro players use MB Malik bats. Usman Afzaal once used an off the shelf MB Malik Gold in t20 match playing for his old county northants. And an indian player V. Sehwag also used MB.

Last edited:
Majid_V3 said:
Yh I've heard of him. Lots of pro players use MB Malik bats. Usman Afzaal once used an off the shelf MB Malik Gold in t20 match playing for his old county northants. And Sehwag used MB.
Ohh okay.

Majid Bhai hows your soft range going?

Also yaar what do you think about Woodworm gloves on CA's website? I am talking about prestige ones, here are they:

http://www.cawears.com/cricket/woodworm/largeview.asp?CatID=1&PID=12

Cover Drive said:

This bat is pure crap. And the price is even hilarious.
The actual seller is asking £180.00 for it and I am sure he is open to negotiation.
Two bats are chopped off and glued together in someone's garage without any test, performance or control over quality. I would never buy it until picking it up and feeling the balance.

My kit (Yet to receive five pairs of gloves)

20100315_002.jpg

Not the fanciest kit nor very high end kit but...

Last edited:
Uncle Sam said:
This bat is pure crap. And the price is even hilarious.
The actual seller is asking £180.00 for it and I am sure he is open to negotiation.
Two bats are chopped off and glued together in someone's garage without any test, performance or control over quality. I would never buy it until picking it up and feeling the balance.
Honestly it doesn't even seem to be a Grade 1 bat. It looks like Grade 2 or even 3. I agree with you though...

But for 2.11 it looks massive, doesn't it?

Your kit is good enough. Need to shrink down a little and keep it light. There shouldn't be a need of three pairs of leg guards and 4 bats unless it's your "shoqe".

Uncle Sam said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220571668419&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I doubt if anyone is going to bid.
After the auction ends, you can send him an email offering £150.00 if u like the bat.
JazakALLAH Khair for the link

I just sent him an email asking for more pictures. I will let you know how I like after seeing the pictures. I will even post them here as well

If he agrees on £150 including shipping then it will be really good. I remember you once said that £185 for C6+ which Mike/Rich were giving is at a fair price so £150 would be simply awesome

Once again thanks mate

Uncle Sam said:
Your kit is good enough. Need to shrink down a little and keep it light. There shouldn't be a need of three pairs of leg guards and 4 bats unless it's your "shoqe".
JazakALLAH Khair for your kind words. The two bats on left sides were given to me as a gift so I use them in a practice due to the fact they are crap lol.

As far "shoqe" is concerned in fact it is a "shoqe"

People if you are looking to buy cricket bats, pads, gloves etc... please check out assports.co.uk. They sell genuine items and are of very good quality, they sell many brands and meet specific requirements.
I have been purchasing off them and have always been more then satisfied with products. They are based in the UK.

Cover Drive said:
Amazing bats I must say!! In fact, Asad Bhai is the only one who gets these types of LE bats. I don't think CA directly sells them to customers but he always manages to get them

By the way, did you get your bats?
nope im still waiting on both of them...
salix was at custom clearance in toronto on 12th march, but no updates since then.

AS are launching LE version of AS V3 in 2010, you should email them for price of this new bat and any more information you can get on it.

usman_ash14 said:
nope im still waiting on both of them...
salix was at custom clearance in toronto on 12th march, but no updates since then.

AS are launching LE version of AS V3 in 2010, you should email them for price of this new bat and any more information you can get on it.
Ohh okay. InshALLAH you will get Salix today or tomorrow. I guess weekends delayed it a day or two

They should have launched it already since 2 and a half months of 2010 are gone..

InshALLAH I will email them and ask them.

Cover Drive said:
Ohh okay. InshALLAH you will get Salix today or tomorrow. I guess weekends delayed it a day or two

They should have launched it already since 2 and a half months of 2010 are gone..

InshALLAH I will email them and ask them.

yeah weekends really delay everything, but no update on site either..

Im sure there new bat will be really good, since normal AS V3 has received nothing but praise from everyone that has used it or picked it up.

usman_ash14 said:
yeah weekends really delay everything, but no update on site either..

Im sure there new bat will be really good, since normal AS V3 has received nothing but praise from everyone that has used it or picked it up.
What even hurts is when your stuff is in your country and yet you don't get it

I agree.

Cover Drive said:
Uncle Sam Joker passan aa gaayaa hai abb? ;-)

Yeah I am trying to cut a deal with Charlie to see if he could get me one of those one which is sent out for reviews and stuff ... u know the 'display model' .. for around £150.00
This bat has turned hell lose and caused havoc among the bat lovers' world. I have received some very good feedback on this bat from some of the veterans in the field. But, patience is the key or else... qurbani ka bakra ban jaunga for paying £200.00 for a brand new cricket bat.

Uncle Sam said:
Yeah I am trying to cut a deal with Charlie to see if he could get me one of those one which is sent out for reviews and stuff ... u know the 'display model' .. for around £150.00
This bat has turned hell lose and caused havoc among the bat lovers' world. I have received some very good feedback on this bat from some of the veterans in the field. But, patience is the key or else... qurbani ka bakra ban jaunga for paying £200.00 for a brand new cricket bat.
£150 including shipping?!?l

The bat is amazing, I never tought Black Cat would make such good bats

Uncle Sam app itnee achii deal kassay kartee hai? Hum bhi baataadoo nahh too hum bhi aik aad karlee :)

^^ Deal sheal nahi karta yar ... I just politely try and see if it works out ... mera koi kamaal nahi hai, sirf ye hai k guys sometimes know me due to past business experience and are sometimes easy to melt on the prices. Always remember, merchandise ko achi price pe sell karna kamaal ki baat nahi hai ... merchandise ko achi price pe khareedna is THE trick.

Anyway, I can perhaps talk to Charlie to look for two pieces if you are interested one and we perhaps might get ourselves a deal.

I have got some more reviews and this bat is really something else. The trick is in the handle which is extra strong and more powerful than regular bats.. plus the willow is specially cut to make these monsters. Black Cat grows it's own willow so they had the advantage to slice the trees according to their desired size clefts. Other manufactures buy from JS Wright and sons and those clefts are standard size cuts which cannot be used to make this sorta profile.

Uncle Sam said:
^^ Deal sheal nahi karta yar ... I just politely try and see if it works out ... mera koi kamaal nahi hai, sirf ye hai k guys sometimes know me due to past business experience and are sometimes easy to melt on the prices. Always remember, merchandise ko achi price pe sell karna kamaal ki baat nahi hai ... merchandise ko achi price pe khareedna is THE trick.

Anyway, I can perhaps talk to Charlie to look for two pieces if you are interested one and we perhaps might get ourselves a deal.

I have got some more reviews and this bat is really something else. The trick is in the handle which is extra strong and more powerful than regular bats.. plus the willow is specially cut to make these monsters. Black Cat grows it's own willow so they had the advantage to slice the trees according to their desired size clefts. Other manufactures buy from JS Wright and sons and those clefts are standard size cuts which cannot be used to make this sorta profile.
Jee baat too bilkul sahii kiee haii.

I will let you know about it in a day or two. It is 150 including shipping?

Uhmm ab yee aur bhii achaa lagnaa lagaa haii! But the handle which is being used is a legal handle right? Ohh okayy, no wonder they are that great in making these bats.

Even Newbery buy clefts from JS Wright?

Question re knocking...

How long should one spend knocking in a 'Ready to play' bat? and
How can you tell when a bat has been knocked in? Ive been knocking my new Malik Sher Amin for about 3 hours and the sound of the mallet hitting the bat has changed from a stiff sound to more like a cracking sound..

frz said:
Question re knocking...

How long should one spend knocking in a 'Ready to play' bat? and
How can you tell when a bat has been knocked in? Ive been knocking my new Malik Sher Amin for about 3 hours and the sound of the mallet hitting the bat has changed from a stiff sound to more like a cracking sound..
I would say around 3-4 hours but that depends on the number of grains as well. Now in order to figure out whether you hve knocked enough or not then you should take a ball and bounce it on the bat few times and see if seam marks are visible. If they are then it means you need to knock in a bit more. If no seam marks appears then it means you have knocked in enough and now it is seriously a 'Ready to Play' bat

I hope it helps

Let me know if you have anymore question(s)

Just got a call from customs at toronto
54.99 custom and CFC charges on my salix :(
I have to pay them before it is shipped to me.

usman_ash14 said:
Arre that sucks! I told you before that get ready for custom.

Thats being cheap! I mean you usually pay after you recieve them. I guess since it came through courier you got charged by customs

usman_ash14 said:

Can you negotiate with them to re-calculate the charges as it is a "gift" or something?

but again, Salix must have attached a copy of the invoice with it ... sucks !!

so the Daemon grade 1 has ended up costing me $320...from 270
ahhhh
its been at custom since 12th, and they tell me now that they will not let it go any further until payment

Last edited:
Uncle Sam said:
Can you negotiate with them to re-calculate the charges as it is a "gift" or something?

but again, Salix must have attached a copy of the invoice with it ... sucks !!
The thing is that the store who shipped it did not declare the item as a gift. Plus it is not that you don't get custom on gifts. You do but it is a bit less compare to "non-gift item"

I don't think that is the case. His bat has must came through a courier service and they (the store who shipped the bat) declared the full and actual value of the bat. And that is if in case it gets lost or damaged you get your money back.

Now hope that they haven't drilled any holes in the bat. Even if they did you should get your money back

usman_ash14 said:
so the Daemon grade 1 has ended up costing me $320...from 270
ahhhh
its been at custom since 12th, and they tell me now that they will not let it go any further until payment
I really feel sorry for you. But I guess thats how it works bus ALLAH (SWT) koo joo manzoor tha!

THese custom people are morons!

Cover Drive said:
I would say around 3-4 hours but that depends on the number of grains as well. Now in order to figure out whether you hve knocked enough or not then you should take a ball and bounce it on the bat few times and see if seam marks are visible. If they are then it means you need to knock in a bit more. If no seam marks appears then it means you have knocked in enough and now it is seriously a 'Ready to Play' bat

I hope it helps

Thanks for your reply. Any idea if the sound of the mallet hitting the bat will change too as the bat gets more knocked in?

Second question.. What is the 'ping' of the bat?

frz said:
Thanks for your reply. Any idea if the sound of the mallet hitting the bat will change too as the bat gets more knocked in?

Second question.. What is the 'ping' of the bat?
Uhmm sorry brother I am not too sure how can one figure out from the sound. Sorry :(

Ping in other words is known as stroke. Ping basically refers how far the ball travels. I mean if you hit and the ball goes to the boundary the bat has very good ping and if you hit and the ball goes one feet away from you then it does not have great ping. I hope it made sense

Uzair I was about to buy another expensive bat from mapperly sports today. I emailed you abt which one it was.

Last edited:
I should be receiving my Salix tomorrow after paying hefty amount of customs.
Now time to see the finishing of this bat, expect some pictures tomorrow if I'm not too busy.

No just don't reflect upon that fine. Joo hona taha who hoo gayaa. InshALLAH everything will be fine. I hope your ASV3 arrives safely without custom charges

Cover Drive said:

I hope it helps

I agree.....btw - one of my UT bats has a cracked toe now...yorker did it in good!

xkalibur80 said:
I agree.....btw - one of my UT bats has a cracked toe now...yorker did it in good!
Ahh that sucks! You should have backed out if you saw a yorker coming. Is it a really bad split?

Congrats mate!!

Whats the weight of that Salix? It looks amazing stick! Also how is the balance , pick up etc

Cover Drive said:
Congrats mate!!

Whats the weight of that Salix? It looks amazing stick! Also how is the balance , pick up etc

The balance and pickup is amazing, it feels as light as a stick..literally.

I don't know the weight on this, it says medium weight...im guessing its 2'8.
Feels as light as a feather tho

8 grains not super straight, but the face of the bat is entirely blemish free, finish on it is amazing, when you see it you want to feel the willow

Last edited:
usman_ash14 said:
The balance and pickup is amazing, it feels as light as a stick..literally.

I don't know the weight on this, it says medium weight...im guessing its 2'8.
Feels as light as a feather tho

8 grains not super straight, but the face of the bat is entirely blemish free, finish on it is amazing, when you see it you want to feel the willow
O thats great ot hear mate! I hope the bat last really long and you score tons of runs.

If it is medium then it will be around 2.10 mark.

Do you mind posting a picture of full face? Also Usman Bhai how is the ping?

usman_ash14 said:
My Salix is here and as promised, here are the pictures :)

DSC05939.jpg

It seems to have really long sweetspot. If you drive the ball then you will enjoy playing with it

Cover Drive said:
O thats great ot hear mate! I hope the bat last really long and you score tons of runs.

If it is medium then it will be around 2.10 mark.

Do you mind posting a picture of full face? Also Usman Bhai how is the ping?

I will post a picture of full face by tonight or tomorrow, i have to get going somewhere wight now.
I haven't checked the ping yet, the bat hasn't been knocked in or oiled at all from factory, so I doubt ping will be any good right now.

usman_ash14 said:
I will post a picture of full face by tonight or tomorrow, i have to get going somewhere wight now.
I haven't checked the ping yet, the bat hasn't been knocked in or oiled at all from factory, so I doubt ping will be any good right now.
Ohh okay no worries

Yaar the factory does oil the bat but what happens is that it stays in the store for a long period of time so in the meantime it dries out.

From the pictures it did not get drilled at all. The small hole on the toe is because when they apply string on the handle the toe is insert into the machine where the hole is then created.

Plus he got his bat from UK so they don't take that seriously

I'm going to post some pictures of my new Reebok bat. Can someone tell me if its genuine or fake ? I was told CA make Reebok bats in Pak

Last edited:
Majid Bhai the willow doesn't look great. I mean it has alot of blemishes on it. How does it feel though? Do you mind if I ask you how much you paid for it?

The willow is fine quality it only has one big blemish in the middle of the bat and and willow is super soft and lightweight cleft. I was told it was as good as professional players bat and it is very good oiled it once and only tapped it few times with mallet and bat is so responsive. Its upthere with the GN ignite pp. I got it for bargain price.

Oil makes the willow look darker but its really good quality. I really like the heartwood on the bat. Uzair I think the bat is highest quality coz i tested it nd compared it to my best bats. Pro quality bats always have good ping from the toe of the bat and this one is same as GN ingite it even pings off the toe.

Last edited:
Picture quality also makes it look a bit different than it is. As long it feels nice and plays well then I think everything is safe. Honestly, I like the grains they seem to be quite straight. Also it seems to have lots of meat on it and the shape looks good as well. It also seems to have a long sweetspot as well. But you can confirm this Majid Bhai, how long is the sweetspot?

I hope the bat goes really well for you Majid Bhai

For 2.8 it seems to have alot of meat on it! It seems to be a great stick Majid Bhai.

Let us know how it plays once you have played with it

Uncle Sam few decent and nice sticks are there. If you had a chance to buy one of them which one would it be? (Ignore all the other factors).

I like B 52 as it has reall long sweetspot. What do you think Uncle Sam, which bat (above) has the longest sweetspot?

I know i have posted this before but if any one is interested in purchasing an AS V3 LE bat please speak to Asad at ASSPORTS.CO.UK, i just recieved my one. It is awesome, great balance, springy handle, beatuiful pinging middle and chunky as hell. The best bat i have owned, could have easily been Abdul Razzaq's bat. Basically what im saying is if your an AS fan, you can not afford to miss out, Simple as!

IMMYBUTT said:
I know i have posted this before but if any one is interested in purchasing an AS V3 LE bat please speak to Asad at ASSPORTS.CO.UK, i just recieved my one. It is awesome, great balance, springy handle, beatuiful pinging middle and chunky as hell. The best bat i have owned, could have easily been Abdul Razzaq's bat. Basically what im saying is if your an AS fan, you can not afford to miss out, Simple as!

Butt, How much did u pay including shipping and handling?

How much that guy charges for shipping to US?

Uncle Sam - Hayden was using the new Mongoose MMi3 in the IPL.....can't believe the power of the bat.

I saw it in the highlights. It was amazing bat!! The bay has started to grow on me now. Before MMi he was using CoR3 which Uncle Sam is looking for

Finally gave my UT bat a serious session in the nets today......not a bad piece of willow. ASV3 is yet to unleash its wrath!

Let me unveil the 6 Beasts :afridi

dsc01246l.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back