Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boom Boom currently is cashing Afridi's name, hence, there bats are priced high compare to competitors. I believe the reason why they aren't good in the begining is because die hard Afrdi fans will not look at the quality instead they will go for Afridis bat.

Personally I find it worthless to buy a Boom Boom 5 Star because it is priced around Rs. 18000 whereas Ihsan Inferno 950 is around 13. Its the same bat maker etc with just different stickers.

Brother dhump,

Your Bubber Sher looks impressive! I like this colour scheme compare to the stickered version. Do you mind telling how much you paid for it?

If I am correct this is not laminated Bubber Sher, right? Because UT has both laminated and non-laminated

Is there a bubber sher LE? The quality on that wood looks like it could be better. Unless its just the lighting. :)

You got yourself really good gear! Kookaburra RP softs are really good and one of the best in the market. I quite like there pads system as one pads has 7 canes and other has 9 canes (if I remember correctly).

Ah that's a great bat. If you don't mind can you tell us how many grains do your GN Ignite has?

I haven't played much with that bat as I had to leave for vacation. However, it is a top notch bat and plays very good. The sweetspot is quite long and ball travels a good distance when you play a drive sort of stroke. Personally I like it a lot and I think my money has been worth.

Any more questions please feel free to ask.

Yes, the RP softs are high quality indeed. But I'm not entirely comfortable wearing them. I might try getting GM LE next season, or maybe even newbery. Although newbery seems to have a sense of "his royal highness" about it, which I'm not a fan of. :)

Dont remember how many grains on my bat. I too happen to be on vacation right now. I'll post pictures of my gear once I get back.

Thanks 02thoeva!

FreddyBo,

Yes, there is Bubber Sher LE as well.

I have GM LE softs and honestly apart from me owing them they are awesome and top notch gear. The gloves are simply awesome as palm is so soft and gloves itself are really comfortable. I have trouble wearing pads as they get too bulky or big for me. For example, CA 12000 Plus, but these GM pads are in different are in different class all together.

Newbery softs are really good and there softs are one of the best. I also have a pair of Newbery Test gloves and they are really top notch. I know they are expensive but trust me they are worth every single penny. If you want to get Newbery softs in a cheaper price then buy SS as they make Newbery softs.

Brother dhump,

Your Bubber Sher looks impressive! I like this colour scheme compare to the stickered version. Do you mind telling how much you paid for it?

If I am correct this is not laminated Bubber Sher, right? Because UT has both laminated and non-laminated

Thanks CD bro, yes I liked it too its kinda cool :D I paid 10000/- Rs for it and you are right it is not laminated.

Thanks CD bro, yes I liked it too its kinda cool :D I paid 10000/- Rs for it and you are right it is not laminated.
No worries!

The price tells that due to EU ban the prices have increased slightly. Few months ago Bubber Sher was Rs. 9300

Whats diff between laminated and non laminated ? which one is better any why ?

In simple terms laminated bats have two pieces of wood joined together whereas non-laminated bats are made of single wood.

In terms of performance laminated as ball goes further, hence its illegal at international level.

Depends in which fashion the bat is laminated as to performance benefits, obviously depends on how they're pressed and the willow quality.

They're illegal from use in all cricket played under MCC laws. If you want an illegal bat which hits further you're probably best buying one made of rubber.

so here is my new Malik Bubber sher bought it from UT sports yesterday.

94125183.jpg

Huge profile for 2.6, i must say amazing bat. Is this painted or stickered?

Huge profile for 2.6, i must say amazing bat. Is this painted or stickered?

Painted and btw these marks on the front are not on willow but air in the protector at some areas. I know you didint mentioned it but someone else above asked it.

Brother cover drive: true the price are increased in last few months they were telling me that even price for every piece of willow is increased and it will increase much more in coming months.

02thoeva, most of us play club cricket so I am sure its safe to use there. Don't take me wrong I don't own one...

Cricketer13 bhai,

Did you manage to find someone who can bring your stuff?

02thoeva, most of us play club cricket so I am sure its safe to use there. Don't take me wrong I don't own one...

Cricketer13 bhai,

Did you manage to find someone who can bring your stuff?

CD bhai Inshallah will find someone soon will keep u posted....i bought V10 as well :)

is it ok to use it if u can get away with it? that means u r ok to cheat if u know nothing is going to happen to u......

personally as it is, bats r getting better....edges fly comfortable over the boundary.....why then the need to use something illegal??

Askmoi,

As I said earlier and 02thoeva said its okay to use it in games which are not MCC regulated. For instance, a international player can't use it at international level.

In my opinion the reason why they were used is because they gave extra power to the shot. In other words, ball went further and it made the bat more powerful. Graphite, C6+ etc bats also fall in same category. However, best man for this topic discussion would be 02thoeva. He has got vast amount of knowledge..respect for his knowledge. Hats off to you mate :)

oh ok....but normally club leagues in their rules tend to follow MCC laws....but yeah there is a general curiosity to try it and see what the hype is all about...the same was generated by mongoose as well

cricketer13...do u mind sharing pics of ur V10? i am also looking to get one....what r ur views on the bat?

oh ok....but normally club leagues in their rules tend to follow MCC laws....but yeah there is a general curiosity to try it and see what the hype is all about...the same was generated by mongoose as well

cricketer13...do u mind sharing pics of ur V10? i am also looking to get one....what r ur views on the bat?

In theory if you are in Canada.....umpires here don't even know how to make a decision let alone declaring a bat illegal!

Update on the NB Krakatoa, It's starting to come alive now that its had a couple of hours knocking and a couple of net sessions. Feels good now that i am use to it more, I have to say the middle is impressive for such a light bat. Some of the sheet at the front of the bat has come lose at the toe, I'll post a picture for some advice when I get home.

Mongoose and laminated are in different league. Mongoose is made of one single piece of wood. If you look at Mongoose CoR3 it says and it does fall under MCC rules which means it is completely legal to use.

Update on the NB Krakatoa, It's starting to come alive now that its had a couple of hours knocking and a couple of net sessions. Feels good now that i am use to it more, I have to say the middle is impressive for such a light bat. Some of the sheet at the front of the bat has come lose at the toe, I'll post a picture for some advice when I get home.

:O You knocked your Newbery?! :O

Did you try to peel it or did you play in wet conditions?

Ah it looks great Majid Bhai! One of my club mate has CCX 900 or 750 and his bat is awesome! I really like the shape and profile of the bat. As the bat is knocked in more and more I am sure it will play very good.

One thing I don't like about this bat is that its grip is not great as the are ruined because of the grip :(
Danevaad Uzair Miyyan. And ur right about the grip it does ruin gloves. My other kook blade bat has same style grip in lime but the color doesnt come off that one.

I was just browsing different hand made bats and came across Laver & Wood bats.....I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price point on one of their bats - it was over $1500 USD!!!!

Majid - I got the SS gloves and superlite Pads from Ajit a couple of weeks ago. The gloves are by far the best I have seen....very comfortable and feel is just perfect.

Much better than my CA 12000 gloves.

Last edited:
Good to hear that u liked the gloves. Btw those gloves are 3rd frm the range and still they are much better then other brands best gloves. What about the SS superlite pads did you like them ? Pads are very soft and feather light. I got the new 2010 SS matrix gloves and pads with the Matrrixx Gladiator LE bat I got frm Ajit on monday. These gloves are also super quality.
sspadsgloves4.jpg

sspadsgloves3.jpg

sspadsgloves2.jpg

Last edited:
Is there anyone here whose had experience with both Newbery and M&H bats? I am wondering if there's much difference between the quality. I believe both are hand made so are probably high quality, but is there a significant difference?

Xbalibur80 Bhai,

It is worth paying every single dollar for Laver & Wood. Those bats are in different league alltogether and are awesome! I am not sure if you saw them at retailer website or direct Laver & Wood websites.

As Majid Bhai asked how are pads?

Majid Bhai,

I would strongly recommend to change the grip. Another grip that ruins the gloves but not as much as CCX is GN grips. I hate those grips lol

FreddyBo,

It is a pretty tough to tell which one is better. Both are very good brands and both are handmade as well. m&H are tad expensive compare to Newbery.

Mongoose and laminated are in different league. Mongoose is made of one single piece of wood. If you look at Mongoose CoR3 it says and it does fall under MCC rules which means it is completely legal to use.

i wasn't comparing their legality...i am aware all mongoose bats are legal in every form of cricket...i was merely mentioning the curiosity that something new raises ....in us who are so interested in cricket

I was just browsing different hand made bats and came across Laver & Wood bats.....I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price point on one of their bats - it was over $1500 USD!!!!

u must have looked at the signature package....the private bin is closer to 500USD...however u can find bats on sale on their forum shop http://www.laverwood.co.nz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=94

the new SS softs do look good....for a long time SG used to be the best softs in the subcontinent....but now lots of guys seem to be using SS

Why the hell are Laver and Wood bats so expensive? A $2000 bat is ludicrous! If you buy their bat is the bat gonna play shots on its own or something?

you can read it on their website Click Here

I believe the package comes with the signature bat, another private bin bat and some other extras....its still really expensive....if i had one, i wudn't bear to use it...incase i damage a 1600USD bat

One friend of my bought lawer wood bats. They are good bat and willow realy looks good but comapre to Pakistani bats they are expensive.

Why the hell are Laver and Wood bats so expensive? A $2000 bat is ludicrous! If you buy their bat is the bat gonna play shots on its own or something?

For that price point it better be striking the ball with no effort from the batsman....lol.....if not that, at least have the option of changing weight whenever you feel like it.

ok guys so i have gone ahead and ordered my AS V10 directly from AS Sports.....

here r the specs given by me.....they will start making it tomorrow....
1.) weighing 2'8" after putting the stickers, grips etc
2.) balanced bat with light pickup
3.) clean face with 8-10 evenly spaced straight grains
4.) normal middle with extended sweetspot
5.) rounded edges
6.) good pressing on the bottom as well

what do u guys think?

5.) rounded edges

what do u guys think?

Are you looking to marry it or play cricket with it?

"It is worth paying every single dollar for Laver & Wood. Those bats are in different league alltogether and are awesome! "

why do you say that? have you played with them?

5.) rounded edges

what do u guys think?

how did you order? in person from their factory or over the phone? do they ship overseas and can we order over the phone? i am not sure if they have a website?

the AS V10 i have come across so far are very neat.. too thick, light pickup and the ping is just amazing.. i hope you get the same type of bat coz that would be awesome..

"It is worth paying every single dollar for Laver & Wood. Those bats are in different league alltogether and are awesome! "

why do you say that? have you played with them?

How are the new bats performing? Which one did you get again?

To be honest no bat is worth this much. All bat manufacturers get pieces of willow that are limited and are of the best quality possible. This signature bat is just hyped up to let pppl know that they have the best bat possible which is not true. [

To be honest no bat is worth this much. All bat manufacturers get pieces of willow that are limited and are of the best quality possible. This signature bat is just hyped up to let pppl know that they have the best bat possible which is not true. [

that was the point i was trying to make. if someone can prove to me how their willow supply/batmaking skills are THAT much better then the rest - then that could justify the price. apart from that - its a marketing gimmick.

and for the record - i have used L&W. It was impressive - but didnt blow me away. Def not worth it at that price point to me. But each to his own.

How are the new bats performing? Which one did you get again?

I got a Bradbury (wedding gift for a teammate) and Thruxton SPS. The SPS is a brilliant bat. Took a little time to get used to + was very soft pressed, required a bit of knocking. Asad bhai was great through the process as usual.

However, I'm still using my BAS in my matches. That BAS is a beast and I would have no hesistation in getting another in the future.

the AS V10 i have come across so far are very neat.. too thick, light pickup and the ping is just amazing.. i hope you get the same type of bat coz that would be awesome..

thanks nam....i had dropped them an email assports@assports.com which i had got from their website AS Sports

they do ship internationally and have told me that they will customise it to my specifications....

i must say it has been easy to deal with Waqas over email...you can also call him up.....

CA PLUS Extra Power 2.9lb, 9/10 grains, feather light pick up and 40mm edges.
PICTURES REMOVED

Last edited:
thanks nam....i had dropped them an email assports@assports.com which i had got from their website AS Sports

they do ship internationally and have told me that they will customise it to my specifications....

i must say it has been easy to deal with Waqas over email...you can also call him up.....

thanks askmoi..

2.9lb, 9/10 grains, feather light pick up and 40mm edges.

massive bat that is! :inti

Another massive piece of willow Majid Bhai! It looks impressive!

Omair Bhai, I believe around Rs. 12000. I believe CA 12000 and CA 12000 Plus TRD LE are superior...

has anyone here used Irfan bats? i remember kamran akmal used to use one sometime back....they seem to be priced really well...

not a bad price for what u r getting.....$100 for such a meaty bat is worth it.
It is! But it is not necessary to get same sort of bat everytime. It could be once in a blue moon. The person who Majid Bhai got the bat from is a top bloke who select bats himself and most of them are huge for its weight.

By the way guys I saw Boom Boom 5 Star pads today (the one Afridi use) and I must say those pads were awesome! They were so light and seemed to be made with quality leather.

Askmoi,

I haven't but I have heard good things about them. For the price you pay those bats seems to be good ones.

It is! But it is not necessary to get same sort of bat everytime. It could be once in a blue moon. The person who Majid Bhai got the bat from is a top bloke who select bats himself and most of them are huge for its weight.

By the way guys I saw Boom Boom 5 Star pads today (the one Afridi use) and I must say those pads were awesome! They were so light and seemed to be made with quality leather.

Askmoi,

I haven't but I have heard good things about them. For the price you pay those bats seems to be good ones.

Uzair bhai did u buy ur bats yet? How abt bubber sher gloves any chance u checked those out?

I am hoping to make my way to Sailkot and buy bats from there as there will be more variety and options. This store just had one MB Malik Bubber Sher LE which did not please me when it came to grains and weight. Profilewise it was impressive.

Nope! He did not have them in stock nor on shelf. I had a quick glimpse at Boom Boom 4 Star gloves and designwise they looked carbon copy of CA 12000 Plus with different colour scheme.

CAPlusextrapower.jpg

CAPlusextrapower1.jpg

CAPlusextrapower2.jpg

CAPlusextrapower3.jpg

CAPlusextrapower4.jpg

CAPlusextrapower5.jpg

2.9lb, 9/10 grains, feather light pick up and 40mm edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping to make my way to Sailkot and buy bats from there as there will be more variety and options. This store just had one MB Malik Bubber Sher LE which did not please me when it came to grains and weight. Profilewise it was impressive.

Nope! He did not have them in stock nor on shelf. I had a quick glimpse at Boom Boom 4 Star gloves and designwise they looked carbon copy of CA 12000 Plus with different colour scheme.

Oh you are in Pak right now....keep me posted about which bats you are looking at getting etc.....how much are the boom boom pads? They look pretty awesome.

looks a big bat majid bhai.....hope it plays well for u...so now how many bats do u have with u in total?

cd bhai, if u go down to the factories...pls take some pics.....wud be interested to see them

Xkalibur80 bhai,

Boom Boom 5 Star pads are around Rs. 2500

Askmoi Bhai,

InshALLAH, I will do that!

looks a big bat majid bhai.....hope it plays well for u...so now how many bats do u have with u in total?
Danevaad. At the moment I have ten bats but I've had around 18/19 bats which I used this season and some I have sold on.

This one is my Max Grainer bat from Ajit(onlinestockist) its lush quality with over 15 straight grains. Looks darker because its been oiled twice. Edges are only about 33/34mm but the bat has really really big high spine. Weight is 2.9
narrowgrainsbat.jpg

narrowgrainsbat2.jpg

narrowgrainsbat3.jpg

narrowgrainsbat4.jpg

narrowgrainsbat5.jpg

narrowgrainsbat6.jpg

Last edited:
Another great pick!

Looks great for it's weight Majid Bhai! Apart from that edges, grains and spine looks good as well

So finally I played with my Newbury today....the ball travels with minimal effort....I played a few half hearted drives in the nets today and the ball was racing away on each stroke.

@Majid: great bat there......love the redwood sapwood combination on that.....

@xkalibur: good to hear that....may it score u 1000 runs and more....have always heard good things abt newbery

Majid I know of two friends of mine, who actually bought Max Grainers from your mate "Ajit" onlinestockist.com based on your vouching for him in this thread.

He sent them 9 and a 8 grain bats G3 or worse quality. (3 or more knots on each bats face) 4 piece handle. (probably should count themselves lucky not to get the 3 piece handles). wrong weights. One was straight out heavier with no writing. The other he wrote on the plastic 1150g (2 pounds 8 ounces) but when you roll down the grip just around the top of the handle it says 1210 or 2 pounds 11 ounces. Both bats have been weighed and come to around 2 pounds 11.

Not only that he passed it off saying that was all the supplier had. He didn't bother to contact any of the buyers to tell them he was going to ship than a fake product. (defiantly not a max grainer with only 9 grains) Then only to look on this forum to find other people such as yourself getting 15 grains! He wont even respond to their emails. Seems he is only out to rip people off!

Are you even in the UK majid? cos there is something seriously fishy about your stories and supply of bats. No one can spend as much as you do on bats, you buy them at a rate of more than one bat a week. And they conveniently seem to be the bats this "Ajit" is just about to sell. Majid are you really this "Ajit" character?

I'll post some photos later of his G1 bats. My advice to anyone on here thinking of buying from that site DONT! please contact me for detailed information.

Majid from where did you buy that CA Extra Power? It looks immense.

This one is my Max Grainer bat from Ajit(onlinestockist) its lush quality with over 15 straight grains. Looks darker because its been oiled twice. Edges are only about 33/34mm but the bat has really really big high spine. Weight is 2.9

Whats the black stuff on the top of the bat?

I came across this site http://www.cricketfains.com/cricketfains/ and I just wondered if anyone has heard about this site. Some of the prices look unrealistic, for instance the adidas- and gray nicholls bats (highest level). how can they cost under £100 on this site when they are priced at well over £200 at other sites?

what do you guys think?

I came across this site http://www.cricketfains.com/cricketfains/ and I just wondered if anyone has heard about this site. Some of the prices look unrealistic, for instance the adidas- and gray nicholls bats (highest level). how can they cost under £100 on this site when they are priced at well over £200 at other sites?

what do you guys think?

Wouldn't buy anything off there if I was you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back