Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
By kits if you mean clothing the one players wear but if you mean equipment which includes pads, gloves etc then I would say it's quite better than before. Pakistani equipment is improving day by day and it is getting as good as English.

Uhmm I don't think it is embroidered on the helmet. I guess it's just white sticke which sticks very well.

No I mean the outerwear as in Clothing, Caps etc.

Well you cant really tell unless you have the helmet with you, Albion helmets have 'Albion' embroidered on the back so this is the reason I thought the BoomBoom sticker would not do a very good job in sticking over it. :afridi

Nah it's Masuri who have Masuri logo embroidered not Albion even if it is Albion I think players can get helmets which could be plain from the back whereas stocking stickers becomes easier. One thing I must say these sticker stick quite well though. One of my helmet logo where stockered and they looked they were stuck quite decently and didn't come off easily.

Nah it's Masuri who have Masuri logo embroidered not Albion even if it is Albion I think players can get helmets which could be plain from the back whereas stocking stickers becomes easier. One thing I must say these sticker stick quite well though. One of my helmet logo where stockered and they looked they were stuck quite decently and didn't come off easily.

You are wrong, have a look at Ricky Ponting next time and you will see it is.

Cover Drive bhai, a noob question: How are molded pads different from normal ones and what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Thanks

You are wrong, have a look at Ricky Ponting next time and you will see it is.

There are two types of Albion though. The plastic one which Morgan is using in the background and the one you are talking about. Sorry at that time I forgot about the punter one lol.

Anyways, I think its only Australian cricketers who use Pointing type Albion helmets.

Cover Drive bhai, a noob question: How are molded pads different from normal ones and what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Thanks

Moulded pads are light in weight and are made of high quality density foam such as;

http://www.morrant.com/morrant_cric...ralite_cricket_batting_legguards/96524_p.html

Whereas on the other hand if you look at traditional style pads then mostly they have wood canes in them which increases the weight such as;

http://www.morrant.com/newbery_cric...t_335_cricket_batting_legguards/103879_p.html

I would say moulded are better because in them it gets easier to run, however, one of the drawback of them is that they are stiff so sometimes it cause problems. On the other hand traditional pads are heavier and running gets a bit hard. At last the decision narrows down to ones preference.

Hope it helps!

Feel free to ask any question you have got.

There are two types of Albion though. The plastic one which Morgan is using in the background and the one you are talking about. Sorry at that time I forgot about the punter one lol.

Anyways, I think its only Australian cricketers who use Pointing type Albion helmets.

Yeah no worries man, Afridi is using it and Fawad Alam too but with a Masuri grill.

Moulded pads are light in weight and are made of high quality density foam such as;

http://www.morrant.com/morrant_cric...ralite_cricket_batting_legguards/96524_p.html

Whereas on the other hand if you look at traditional style pads then mostly they have wood canes in them which increases the weight such as;

http://www.morrant.com/newbery_cric...t_335_cricket_batting_legguards/103879_p.html

I would say moulded are better because in them it gets easier to run, however, one of the drawback of them is that they are stiff so sometimes it cause problems. On the other hand traditional pads are heavier and running gets a bit hard. At last the decision narrows down to ones preference.

Hope it helps!

Feel free to ask any question you have got.

Thanks bro. One more thing though, what kind of problems can the stiffness of moulded pads cause?

Thanks bro. One more thing though, what kind of problems can the stiffness of moulded pads cause?

I don't have one nor I have used ones but I will give it a shot with whatever knowledge I have. Since they are stiff and are not very comfortable when batting which includes playing a stroke, bending etc you will have to face slight difficult.

As I said earlier I haven't used them so I really can't say what problem they excatly cause.

Perhaps cricketer13 Bhai and xkalibur80 bhai can answer this question as they have used moudled pads.

for me it was my foot that was having trouble....the stiffness was very uncomfortable while standing as well as running....keep in mind that I had CA10000 Plus moulded pads....Morrant doesn't seem to have that problem.

for me it was my foot that was having trouble....the stiffness was very uncomfortable while standing as well as running....keep in mind that I had CA10000 Plus moulded pads....Morrant doesn't seem to have that problem.

There are two type of Morrant pads. The International and the other one (whose name I can't recall). I am pretty sure that International one are not stiff but the other ones are.

Just the CA plus 10k moulded pads are average but most other brands moulded pads are good quality and very comfortable. I have GM RSB Original pads and also had Bdm Titanium both v light and comfortable.
09022010886.jpg

hasanbatting.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Uzair I love these type of pads. As far there feeling is concerned they are great. They feel really comfortable and have test level protection as well. They are much better than old 2 straps which I had in the past. I would recommend you buying them if you are looking to buy them.

JazakALLAH Khair! I hope this information helps ghias bhai.

Yaar I already have four pairs of pads. At the moment I am not thinking to get any pair of pads at all!

Your Icon looked really good with these pads. Shame you got it restickered.

I know, I shouldnt have got it restickered. I'll take a picture of the GM flare bat to see how that looks with these pads/gloves.

Not bad but it doesn't look as great as Icon

From the front on - ICON looks great. From the side/profile view FLARE looks bigger- for the exact same bat.

Both are great looking bat models. wonder how they come up with such good looking designs.

Pretty sure Afridi's is more like an Albion Centurion.

And there are definetly some non-Australians wearing the Original/Ultimate 98, Yardy, de Villiers, Ntini, Yuvraj etc.

Pretty sure Afridi's is more like an Albion Centurion.

And there are definetly some non-Australians wearing the Original/Ultimate 98, Yardy, de Villiers, Ntini, Yuvraj etc.

Ah okay.Got it.

The Albion which Morgan wears is the best rest of the Albion doesn't look as good as Masuri

Ah okay.Got it.

The Albion which Morgan wears is the best rest of the Albion doesn't look as good as Masuri

Its a matter of opinion really, I have used the Ponting type Albion and a regular Masuri and I felt the Albion was better, the grill provides more protection.

Its a matter of opinion really, I have used the Ponting type Albion and a regular Masuri and I felt the Albion was better, the grill provides more protection.

Yeah it is ones preference. I am really not into helmets so I really don't know which is best or worst But one helmet which I saw recently and really liked is the one Umar and Kamran Akmal wears. GM Hero helmet. It looks really nice and is really light as well.

I prefer the cloth covered types such as the Masuri or Albion's Original 98 with the larger looking grill as seen on Phil Jaques here.
111751.jpg

I prefer the cloth covered types such as the Masuri or Albion's Original 98 with the larger looking grill as seen on Phil Jaques here.
111751.jpg

I say larger, it's the grill Hussey has on his lid, unlike Ponting and De Villiers.

Yeah basically in the cloth covered I like Masuri more than Albion. One thing that pulls me away from Albion is their grill. To me it doesn't look great.

Lookwise the best one in my opinon would be Ayrtek and GM Hero.

Nice carpet...

Thanks ;-)

Happened to use a GN Fusion on the weekend. Only 5 grains but evenly spaced and straight.
I haven't used anything this nice in a while, the sound of ball on willow had everyone checking to see what I was using. Such a clean sound. Hit one of our spinners for miles without trying. I think I'm converting, used a 12 grain kookaburra CCX, nothing there, felt like I was hitting with a stump.

Im now on the look out for a monster 6 grain bat about 2'8. might have to check out some GN's

JazakALLAH Khair for the pictures. Everything look impressive!

All of your bats look top notch bats. Just wondering that how does Bradbury plays? Your Bubber Sher is runied and appearence wise it doesn't look great but I must say the piece is top drawer. You won't find similar Bubber Sher's in the market now.

Your son's M&H kit is just awesome! I love the bat, pads, gloves and I must say bag looks great as well. If I am correct his stuff is youth size (not mens), right?

Last question that any new bat on your mind? :)

Once again JazakALLAH Khair for the pictures!

A Sidearm Pro! We've got one of them, although nobody seems capable of getting a consistent length on off stump when I'm having a net.

A Sidearm Pro! We've got one of them, although nobody seems capable of getting a consistent length on off stump when I'm having a net.

It seems to be a quite good tool for practice. I saw Gooch's video the other day and liked the tool.

SS when are we going to see your kit ?:D:D:D

Happened to use a GN Fusion on the weekend. Only 5 grains but evenly spaced and straight.
I haven't used anything this nice in a while, the sound of ball on willow had everyone checking to see what I was using. Such a clean sound. Hit one of our spinners for miles without trying. I think I'm converting, used a 12 grain kookaburra CCX, nothing there, felt like I was hitting with a stump.

Im now on the look out for a monster 6 grain bat about 2'8. might have to check out some GN's
Seems like your talking about using my GN evo 5 grain bat and Kook CCX 6/7 grains. But my CCX bat was also really good I could hit bigger sixes with Ccx bat then GN. GN required lot of knockin and playin in but its coming really good now and ur right GN bats do make very nice sound even when the ball hits the toe, it still makes a sweet sound and pings well. I used few shortcuts to knockin the GN Evo quickly and it has worked. Bat has started to play really well. I messed up the shape of the handle by removing the original pyramid grip. The handle doesnt feel as good as before so I've had to fit a half grip for more thicker/comfortable grip for bottom hand. Fitting 1 and half grips has improved the balance.

It seems to be a quite good tool for practice. I saw Gooch's video the other day and liked the tool.

SS when are we going to see your kit ?:D:D:D

It's all bagged up at the moment, I'm afraid, so not right now. I can list it all as a teaser though.

Bat - GM Hero DXM 909
Pads - GM Original Teknik Lite
Gloves - GM Original (09 and 10 models)
Helmet - Masuri with steel grill
Thigh pads - GM Original
Spikes - adidas Twenty2 Yd Cobalt low

WTH ???
Your bat's face is closed even before it gets inline with your front leg pad.

All that hard earned money by your parents, wasted in buying cricket gear but man !! what a crappy player you are ???
Get into a cricket coaching academy and invest some time in nets and play some real cricket to get the basics right - instead of wasting money in high end cricket gear and hoping that it will make a great batsman.

It's all bagged up at the moment, I'm afraid, so not right now. I can list it all as a teaser though.

Bat - GM Hero DXM 909
Pads - GM Original Teknik Lite
Gloves - GM Original (09 and 10 models)
Helmet - Masuri with steel grill
Thigh pads - GM Original
Spikes - adidas Twenty2 Yd Cobalt low

Seems like you are a GM fan. Top stiff I must say. I have always been fan of Original Tehnik pads. Was very close in buying them but neve got them as they went out of stock.

Just wondering how is your bat performing? Also any significant difference in 09 and 010 model glove except colour scheme?

WTH ???

All that hard earned money by your parents, wasted in buying cricket gear but man !! what a crappy player you are ???
Get into a cricket coaching academy and invest some time in nets and play some real cricket to get the basics right - instead of wasting money in high end cricket gear and hoping that it will make a great batsman.

mate relax! He just got in that pose for a picture to be taken. It was not a test match, it was just for a picture!

mate relax! He just got in that pose for a picture to be taken. It was not a test match, it was just for a picture!

I am relaxed and neither I am using an offensive language.
Matter of fact, you made it even more laughable if it was a pose for the camera ... he should have a text book perfect front foot block with an open face of the bat as he had all the time in the world and no ball coming to him ... yet he made a mess out of it .....
Imagine what kinda batsman does that ?? OK maybe I have missed it and he is actually a pace bowler who bats at # 11. Apology extended.

Seems like your talking about using my GN evo 5 grain bat and Kook CCX 6/7 grains. But my CCX bat was also really good I could hit bigger sixes with Ccx bat then GN. GN required lot of knockin and playin in but its coming really good now and ur right GN bats do make very nice sound even when the ball hits the toe, it still makes a sweet sound and pings well. I used few shortcuts to knockin the GN Evo quickly and it has worked. Bat has started to play really well. I messed up the shape of the handle by removing the original pyramid grip. The handle doesnt feel as good as before so I've had to fit a half grip for more thicker/comfortable grip for bottom hand. Fitting 1 and half grips has improved the balance.

I have no idea what you are talking about there...

JazakALLAH Khair for the pictures. Everything look impressive!

All of your bats look top notch bats. Just wondering that how does Bradbury plays? Your Bubber Sher is runied and appearence wise it doesn't look great but I must say the piece is top drawer. You won't find similar Bubber Sher's in the market now.

Your son's M&H kit is just awesome! I love the bat, pads, gloves and I must say bag looks great as well. If I am correct his stuff is youth size (not mens), right?

Last question that any new bat on your mind? :)

Once again JazakALLAH Khair for the pictures!

The Bradbury is a very nice bat. It's 2lb 7oz and has a very nice pickup. It also pings well. I am still kind of knocking it in but so far so good.

I have Bubber Sher stickers but didn't want to put them on as I think it just makes the bat look fake. I think I'll just sand it all down and have it plain. It has a very nice blade though.

The M&H is youths size. Out of all the bats his Harlequin is by far the best. It is an absolute work of art and the sound the ball mkes off the bat is just heavenly. It was a choice between Newbery, Salix and M&H and I am so glad we went with the M&H.

What men's size bat will I be buying next? I already have too many bats, (I also have a Sher Amin still in the wrapper) and I don't play anymore but maybe next time my son plays in Taunton I will see about an M&H Distinction. I just love cricket bats. :)

Nice bats! How is the AM bat?

I have had the bat for 2 years now and have never used it! I am slowly knocking it in but my eldest son will probably use it next season or the season after. Sorry for the 'non answer'.

The Bradbury is a very nice bat. It's 2lb 7oz and has a very nice pickup. It also pings well. I am still kind of knocking it in but so far so good.

I have Bubber Sher stickers but didn't want to put them on as I think it just makes the bat look fake. I think I'll just sand it all down and have it plain. It has a very nice blade though.

The M&H is youths size. Out of all the bats his Harlequin is by far the best. It is an absolute work of art and the sound the ball mkes off the bat is just heavenly. It was a choice between Newbery, Salix and M&H and I am so glad we went with the M&H.

What men's size bat will I be buying next? I already have too many bats, (I also have a Sher Amin still in the wrapper) and I don't play anymore but maybe next time my son plays in Taunton I will see about an M&H Distinction. I just love cricket bats. :)

JazakALLAH Khair for replying :)

I have seen or read much about Bradbury, hence, I was asking you.

Anyways, if you have original Bubber Sher stickers then what's the worry? I mean just clean this and apply those stickers. MB for once had started to make stickered Bubber Shers so give a shot I would say.

Obviously Harlequin is the best among them:). So the pads and gloves are in youth size as well? Also how good would you say these Disrinction pads an gloves are?

Distinction is very good bat and has very good profile as well.

Once again JazakALLAH Khair

The pads are a bit bulky. It's hard to run in them but you can remove the inserts and use them as fielding pads if you wish. That's why my son also has puma iridium 4000 pads.

The gloves are brilliant. Great protection and flexibility along with comfort.

I think good quality plain bats have a certain mysterious charm which is another reason not to put the stickers on.

The pads are a bit bulky. It's hard to run in them but you can remove the inserts and use them as fielding pads if you wish. That's why my son also has puma iridium 4000 pads.

The gloves are brilliant. Great protection and flexibility along with comfort.

I think good quality plain bats have a certain mysterious charm which is another reason not to put the stickers on.

Oh really?!? :O I always thought Distinction pads fitted nicely but I guess I was slightly wrong. Ah okay Puma Iridium padss ain't bad either. At one stage I was thinking of getting Distinction pads and gloves as well but I guess not anymore if they are bulky.

These gloves are one of the best split gloves in the market.

great collection of bats Aamer bhai. The m&H and Bradbury look especially good. Do tell me more about this M&H? Pickup, middle position, balance?

I was very close to buying one - ended up with a Thruxton SPS (def not complaining). I didnt realize the edge sizes were so small.....im not big on edge sizes though.

The edges on the Harlequin are quite small but the bat is crafted in such a fine way that the real hitting zone is where the majority of the wood is. The pickup is featherlite and the bat is beautifully balanced. The bat has a long middle which is quite high up the blade. It is ideal for playing square cuts and pulls without compromising drives on slow low pitches.

The customer service isn't great at M&H. I found them a little arrogant in my dealings with them but the product really is faultless.

Newbery make beautiful bats also.

WTH ???

Shut the hell up maan. Thats my younger bro (12) just trying on my kit. Look thru the topic and you will see pictures of my batting/stance.

Last edited:
The edges on the Harlequin are quite small but the bat is crafted in such a fine way that the real hitting zone is where the majority of the wood is. The pickup is featherlite and the bat is beautifully balanced. The bat has a long middle which is quite high up the blade. It is ideal for playing square cuts and pulls without compromising drives on slow low pitches.

The customer service isn't great at M&H. I found them a little arrogant in my dealings with them but the product really is faultless.

what do you make of warsop/redback vs M&H?

Also do you think that harlequin would be best suited for pitches with low bounce? I love the bat - just fear i'd never hit the middle depending on the pitches i play. Also, i love lofting over the infield, not sure this is the right bat for that kind of game?

I was pretty certain that it had low sweetspot.

I really don't think thick edges are everything. I mean with thick edges one can see sweetspot is limited and is big in terms of width whereas I believe its vice versa for thinner edge bats.

Seems like you are a GM fan. Top stiff I must say. I have always been fan of Original Tehnik pads. Was very close in buying them but neve got them as they went out of stock.

Just wondering how is your bat performing? Also any significant difference in 09 and 010 model glove except colour scheme?

Bat performs nicely, shame I haven't really this season. It's beginning to show signs of wear and tear, namely the couple of cracks on the outside edge shoulder and a bit of damage to the inside edge. I plan to send it back to GM at some point for a refurb and get next season's stickers, maybe the new Apex ones.

Only thing that's different on the new gloves is the velcro tab on the wristband, on the 09 gloves they were pointy whereas on the 10 ones they're a bit rounded.

Bat performs nicely, shame I haven't really this season. It's beginning to show signs of wear and tear, namely the couple of cracks on the outside edge shoulder and a bit of damage to the inside edge. I plan to send it back to GM at some point for a refurb and get next season's stickers, maybe the new Apex ones.

Only thing that's different on the new gloves is the velcro tab on the wristband, on the 09 gloves they were pointy whereas on the 10 ones they're a bit rounded.

Ah okay. Hopefully you will perform well next season :)

Ahh I hated new GM stickers and didn't like them at all! :(

Thanks for all the info though.

For those who haven't seen and are interested in Gray Nicolls 2011 catalgue.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 653
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 688
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 723
  • 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 687
  • 555.jpg
    555.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 691
x2_2c2b7fd

I'll definitely buy a Gray Nicolls Kaboom 4 or 5 star bat as soon as its available in the shops.

JazakALLAH Khair Majid Bhai.

Personally I didn't like them at all! Sherry Bhai and Majid Bhai's GM have much better looking stickers than these. These sticker look a lot like Impala.

They look alright to me but not good. This years I much better. I don't know why they are finishing Hero. It looks much nicer instead of Luna. This is just my opinion..

I'm glad the Apex has sky blue stickers like the old Catalyst, prefer lighter colours on bats. I hope I can see what next year's softs look like before I go to vks for their end of season sale, otherwise I'll probably try and pick up a pair of the all white stuff from this summer on the cheap.

I wish I was in England and could snap few bargains. Anyways, I will be looking for online websites. Do you know any website which have good sale? Last time I shopped at kitbag and got a pair of pads from there. So far they don't have any sale going gone.

I am hoping that GM comes out with good soft after being disappointed with GN softs. GN in my eyes seems to be in shambles.

what do you make of warsop/redback vs M&H?

Also do you think that harlequin would be best suited for pitches with low bounce? I love the bat - just fear i'd never hit the middle depending on the pitches i play. Also, i love lofting over the infield, not sure this is the right bat for that kind of game?

My son's friend has a Warsop venom and it is a lovely bat. I can't comment on redback as have never seen one in the flesh. It just comes down to personal choice in the end.

M&H Solution (black stickers) has a low middle so maybe more suited to your style of play.

cj looks great. Although Sher Amins are G2 now you landed yourself a beauty. I hope it goes well for you.

Actually they have demoted Sher Amin after introducing Bubber Sher and Bubber Sher Limited Edition. So they demoted Sher Amin which in past before introducing Bubber Sher and Bubber Sher Limited Edition used to be top of the line bat.

nevertheless, your piece is a great one and is looks great so dont worry :)

When did they introduce Bubber Sher and Bubber Sher LE?

Also, can you tell what grade willow a bat is just by looking at the face?

When did they introduce Bubber Sher and Bubber Sher LE?

Also, can you tell what grade willow a bat is just by looking at the face?

Uhmm I think Bubber Sher was introduced just over a year ago. Whereas MB LE was intriduced 3-4 months ago I believe.

Which bat? Your Sher Amin? If so then it is G2

It's only a catalog scan, the colors are better in person. However the design is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back