Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, but still. You'd expect the newer ones to be better than the older ones. These designs look boring and not so creative.

Also, my gear.
DSC00855.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

Looks great SS!

Pads, gloves and bag looks very good. Which bag is it again?

The bat looks really good for 909. If I am correct 909's are G2, right?

Used my bat (Ihsan Inferno 350) today in first match on turf ... major MAJOR cracking along spine of blade, don't know what to do now :(

Ouch.

On the other hand, how was the game? Did you score? Fours? Sixes? :D

Wickets? Catches?

Ouch.

On the other hand, how was the game? Did you score? Fours? Sixes? :D

Wickets? Catches?

First game on turf, came in at 5 with 10 overs to go needing 160 to win...:inti Wild hoick was attempted and stumps splattered.

I did get 2-48 while bowling though :saqi

Sorry to hear that but can you upload a picture or two?

Yes will do insha'Allah soon

Uzair, GM 909's are Grade 1 English Willow and thanks Paradox Bhai.

Last edited by a moderator:
909s are Grade 1, this is GM's replacement for a Hero which I sent back after the shoulder cracked after two net sessions then didn't get back to me for months. After I expressed my dissatisfaction, Steve had it sorted rather quickly.

Has anyone used the same bat since you started playing or do you like to buy a new one every season?

I've had this bat for roughly a year now and plan to have it refurbed by Gunn & Moore so that it's like having a new bat next season. It's still got a lot of life in it, that piece of wood.

I've had this bat for roughly a year now and plan to have it refurbed by Gunn & Moore so that it's like having a new bat next season. It's still got a lot of life in it, that piece of wood.
Sweet

Does that cost much?

yeah costs a lot. Getting a GM bat restickered costs £32. And repairs will probably cost bit more.

Has anyone used the same bat since you started playing or do you like to buy a new one every season?

Oh yes I still have my bats which I got/bought when I started to play hardball cricket last year.

Posts on other forums suggest that 32 quids is the standard quoted price for a bit of damage repair Majid, do your research. Waiting on a reply from them with more clear cut details, though I'd imagine they're busy at this time of the trade shows and whatnot.

Edit by Mods: Please avoid calling inappropriate name calling. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The first bat I used when facing proper cricket balls was a Slazenger V800 Panther back in 2000, given that I'm probably a foot taller than I used to be then, using a Harrow bat is out of the question. And my Hero DXM is more powerful anyway.

The first bat I used when facing proper cricket balls was a Slazenger V800 Panther back in 2000, given that I'm probably a foot taller than I used to be then, using a Harrow bat is out of the question. And my Hero DXM is more powerful anyway.

Have heard alot about Slaz V100, V200 etc being people first bats. I guess something was special in them. Although I am not very old follower of crikcter bats I am quite interested in seeing Slaz new range (2011).

By the way, mine are GN Powerbow 3* and plain Pakistani bat. Both are good but "ping wise" Gn is like a train and pings really well now although it took a while to open open. On the other hand the Pakistani bat has very good profile, shape etc but it seems to be dead especially after oiling it.

Majid thought you would happy to know I used that GN Fusion again. 42 is very quick time. 4 4's and 4 6's. The bat is the most powerful thing ever! I hit this spinner over a 20 foot high wire fence 60 meters away into the water.

Since the cricket season has ended most of the retailers have sale going on. Is anyone planning to buy anything? If so one of the retailer who I would recommend from my personal experience would be Uzi Sports who have good sale going on.

^^ that looks one hell of a bat!

i gotta question what kinda protective tapes do fielders use on there hands sometimes?? my hands take a beating while fielding/catching so anyone has any idea where can i get hold of that tape to cover my fingers?

Newbery TT is the new Newbery bat which has been added to there 2011 catalgue along Thruxton pads and gloves. If you look at a face picture then you will notice the shoulders are shaped.

Haven't read or seen much about it but Newbery makes quality sticks.

My gear's more or less fine, although I'd pick up a pair of Original LE pads if I could get them at a decent price. For the time being I'm happy to wait until next season and pick up an Icon or Flare from the new GM range.

TT looks pretty nice but I personally wouldn't pay that much for a bat. £150 max.

To be honest, now I don't like buying bigger brands top of the line bats. The reason is that they produce in mass quantity that some brands quality has been going down immensely. So I rather buy a Salix, Newbery, Screaming Cat, M&H etc. I mean they are smaller brands compare to GN, GM etc but there bats in my opinion are better.

As far pads and gloves goes I am fine with the bigger brands if they are at bargain price.

LAst year I bought 09 GM Original LE pads for 46 pounds shipped within UK which I didn't find bad at all!

what kinda protective tapes do fielders use on there hands sometimes??
Plasters to cover blisters & normal masking tape I think to cover wedding rings etc.
I haven't seen anything out there designed for cricket

To be honest, now I don't like buying bigger brands top of the line bats. The reason is that they produce in mass quantity that some brands quality has been going down immensely. So I rather buy a Salix, Newbery, Screaming Cat, M&H etc. I mean they are smaller brands compare to GN, GM etc but there bats in my opinion are better.
I have to agree

I like to buy bats from left field brands and not just go with what's popular. Generally cheaper too.

http://www.alibaba.com/ is a good website.

Last edited:
Surely everyone saying that they do that makes it the popular choice?
Players at my club mainly use G&M, Gray Nicolls and Kookaburra and are almost afraid to buy from any smaller, different brands so just speaking from experience sorry.

SS, I am not saying the bigger brand bats are poor, I amnjust saying that comparing them to relatively smaller brands such as Newbery, Salix etc they have better made bats as they mainly make handmade bats. Again I am not saying the bigger brands bat are poor but the quality of them is being overlooked.

Gray-Nicc legend looks awesome really can we have bigger scan of it CD ???

SS, I am not saying the bigger brand bats are poor, I amnjust saying that comparing them to relatively smaller brands such as Newbery, Salix etc they have better made bats as they mainly make handmade bats. Again I am not saying the bigger brands bat are poor but the quality of them is being overlooked.
Newbery and Salix are no more handmade than the likes of Kookaburra, Adidas etc. In fact they're less so.

CD bhai, I think Newbery bats are better because of their pressing. They are not handmade. If you are looking for handmade bats you might look at some of the smaller brands who have their bats pressed at Newbery.

Newbery and Salix are no more handmade than the likes of Kookaburra, Adidas etc. In fact they're less so.

So why do there stickers say 'Handmade'?

I guess Newbery were handmades only when John was around and I believe ever since Tim took over they are not handmades?

Do you know which brands in the whole world make handmade bats? Few which I think are Screaming Cat, M&H and Redback. CAn you complete the list?

CD bhai, I think Newbery bats are better because of their pressing. They are not handmade. If you are looking for handmade bats you might look at some of the smaller brands who have their bats pressed at Newbery.

I know Gary bats are pressed at Newbery but I am not sure if it means they are handmade or not.

From what I know CD bhai SAF are also shaped at Newbery, and totally customized to your specifications. I think Redbacks are also handmade but not as customized as SAF.

From what I know CD bhai SAF are also shaped at Newbery, and totally customized to your specifications. I think Redbacks are also handmade but not as customized as SAF.

Gary does have customization option I believe although three of his stock bats are Surefire, Paradox and Allegiance. But I am sure you can get your prefered shape bat as well.

But its all about money. I mean if you pay more then you can get Custom MAde Newbery as well.

Kookaburra 2011 Catalogue

The new Rogue looks rather nice. Kookaburra are probably the best company when it comes to implementing bright colours into their gear.

Also, Watson's the latest player to switch to the Albion Ultimate 98 helmet.
122340.jpg

Seems like all of Australians are are going to Albion or are sponsored by them. My brother has Ablion 98 but it doesn't fit me. One thing I dont like about his helmet is that your view isn't that clear.

Yup! I agree with Kookaburra. By the way, Puma aren't bad either.

Uzair, I went cricket shopping today. 1st shop I went to had GN Xiphos 5 star bat for £88( bat had 5 straight grains, 2.9, feather light pick up and decent thick shape)
2nd shop also had a GN Xiphos 5 star bat for £140( perfect clean 9/10 straight grains, 2.11 light pick up and shape was bigger then the other bat I saw 1st.
Which bat do u think I should go for?

Hmm I would say go for first option. Since both bats are of same grade I would say choose the cheaper option. BUT you will have to be patience as it will take time in opening up.

I don't understand, Salix bats are crafted by Andrew Kember and co on a farm just outside Maidstone.
Correct, however I understand they're handmade to a lesser degree than Indian bats. Newbery definitely are. Do you know if Salix make all their bats in house?

As far as I know, yes. They only deal in grade one bats, the same reason they don't do sponsorships for first-class players, there isn't enough to go round.

You liked it? Seriously I hated it! I like the current one to be better looking. The Original LE pads look same as this years expect the interior is different and few other changes.

I would rather buy this years compare to next years.

Majid Bhai ... what size of bat and other equipment do you personally use if I may kindly ask?

The two bolded parts don't go together. Do they?

I don't get what you're on about.

Newbery use a machine. Salix import, finish some and also hand make a few.

Indians sit on the floor legs crossed and use minimal machinery.

I've been there done it and got the t-shirt, believe what you want. But all your posts seem to be hearsay and based on others opinions, not on what you've seen with your own eyes.

I don't get what you're on about.

Newbery use a machine. Salix import, finish some and also hand make a few.

Indians sit on the floor legs crossed and use minimal machinery.

I've been there done it and got the t-shirt, believe what you want. But all your posts seem to be hearsay and based on others opinions, not on what you've seen with your own eyes.

From your earlier post I thought they made ZERO hand made bats.

Does that apply to ALL Indians brand or just one or two you have visited?

The reason why I rely on other opinions is because I haven't been to any factor which I guess is the issue for most who don't live in UK.

Hang on, where did I say they made zero hand made bats? I said "they're no more handmade than Adidas"

I'm talking about the vast majority of Indian factories. I've visited more than one or two.

That's fine, but you come across as the font of all knowledge on cricket bats. When all it is is regurgitated, and often incorrect info.

Hang on, where did I say they made zero hand made bats? I said "they're no more handmade than Adidas"

I'm talking about the vast majority of Indian factories. I've visited more than one or two.

That's fine, but you come across as the font of all knowledge on cricket bats. When all it is is regurgitated, and often incorrect info.

I didn't say you said, in fact, I said I thought.

Have you visited any Pakistani factory?

I haven't been into cricket equipment for a long time. It all started in Feb/March etc and got all the information from here or there on forums. I don't run a brand or business like you.

Sempre, believe what you want to believe.

Haven't visited a Pakistani factory, although I've met quite a few of the brand and factory owners.

Considering how few Salix bats you see in shops and their high prices, I'd say they're telling the truth.

How about you bring something to the table, tell me something I don't know about cricket bats? Show that you're the knowledgeable one around here.

I'm not the one who comes in accusing manufacturers of doing stuff that they don't list on their company website.

Sempre, believe what you want to believe.

Haven't visited a Pakistani factory, although I've met quite a few of the brand and factory owners.

Oh okay. Thanks!

So are they handmade? I know MB Malik bat says 'Handmade' on them but again I am not saying they are handmade because you just told us that Newbery aren't even though there stickers say they are handmade.

Oh okay. Thanks!

So are they handmade? I know MB Malik bat says 'Handmade' on them but again I am not saying they are handmade because you just told us that Newbery aren't even though there stickers say they are handmade.

The thing is there are various definitions of handmade.

You can have sat on the floor shaping every bat handmade.
You can use a bandsaw and planer to remove the rough edges of the cleft then use tradition tools.
You can rough shape using a converted furniture copier (see an old Woodworm video, this shows Hunts County's)
You can use a CAD/CAM machine (ala GM) then sand and stick the stickers on.

I don't know about MB Malik. Would assume they utilise manual labour though, due to the favourable costs of man power.

Last edited:
The thing is there are various definitions of handmade.

You can use a bandsaw and planer to remove the rough edges of the cleft then use tradition tools.
You can rough shape using a converted furniture copier (see an old Woodworm video, this shows Hunts County's)
You can use a CAD/CAM machine (ala GM) then sand and stick the stickers on.

I don't know about MB Malik. Would assume they utilise manual labour though, due to the favourable costs of man power.
Thanks for informative reply.

I was watching Julian's video last night and I am assuming he chooses this option, correct?

Do you think any big brand would do this? By big I mean GN, GM, SS, CA and so on. I know you earlier said that most Indian brands bats are handmade so wouldn't it take years and years to produce bats?

Perhaps I'll ask MB owner that same question.

SS do, I'll post a photo from a big Indian manufacturers workshop in a moment. The guys who make these bats do it 12hrs a day everyday and are mechanised in their approach, it means they can work quickly and efficiently each doing 20-25 bats a day. A workforce of 5 of these people and you're making 30,000 a year.

You're correct with Julian.

SS do, I'll post a photo from a big Indian manufacturers workshop in a moment. The guys who make these bats do it 12hrs a day everyday and are mechanised in their approach, it means they can work quickly and efficiently each doing 20-25 bats a day. A workforce of 5 of these people and you're making 30,000 a year.

You're correct with Julian.

Wow! Never knew that but shouldn't they have a higher price tag? I mean handmade requires more labour and effort compare to machine mades.

Thanks do post a picture!

Are there any who make bats like Julian does (globally)?

BUt still can't they earn a bit more money? I mean if they advertise more and more about their bats being handmade etc

Supply and demand, if prices are inflated nobody's gonna buy the bats.

Supply and demand, if prices are inflated nobody's gonna buy the bats.

I am sure there will be enough buyers :D (although I agree with you on S&D part)

By the way, are you planning to get your bat repaired?

Last edited:
SempreSami, did you see new Kookaburra range? Did you like it?

Kookaburra pads have never impressed me so I really don't care about them. But I was waiting for there gloves and they weren't that bad. TO me they looked tad better than GN and GM. Having said that I find current years Blade 950 gloves to be a bit better than newer ones.

Although I liked Rogue bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back